gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680867 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 04:17:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How do we even *pronounce* the name of this record?  (Read 1551 times)
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2011, 04:15:56 AM »

I don't know about you, but I hardly *ever* say "Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE" out loud. When you're writing, like here, on the board, you can write 'BWPS', but I virtually never say that out loud in its long form. I tend to use 'Brian Wilson's SMiLE' or 'Brian's version of SMiLE' or 'the SMiLE from 2004' or some other such formulation.

Now we've got The SMiLE Sessions. At least you can say that easily enough, but some folk are already writing 'TSS'. That's OK for speakers of languages like Serbo-Croat or Welsh that don't use vowels between consonants a lot of the time, but what am I supposed to do with it? And worse, some enterprising folk are already hard at work on mashups like 'Brian Wilson Presents The SMiLE Sessions', with all the stuff that's complete from the new box set with BWPS filling in the tracks that weren't finished in 1966. That's BWPTSS. How the hell am I gonna say THAT???

I propose the following standardised, nominalised acronyms:

The SMiLE Sessions = TSS = 'Tuss'

Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE = BWPS = 'Bu-wu-puss' or 'Bwoopuss'

Brian Wilson Presents The SMiLE Sessions = BWPTSS = 'Bu-wup-tuss'

Summer In Paradise = SIP = 'Aywerr-thless-krok-uk-rap'

Just remember not to put the new mashup on when you take your other half to bed, as then you might suffer from Coitus In Bu-wup-tuss. And then they might open a can of Bu-wu-puss on you.

And yes, I *am* trying to kill time this morning, why do you ask?

MattB
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 04:59:23 AM »

While we're on the subject:

Can anyone think up a better name for the cool little fragment that's unhelpfully labelled 'Part 2', along with fifteen other fragments recorded for H&V. It's track 21 on disc 2 of TSS, (or 'Tuss', if you will). I love the existing names we have like False Barnyard, Barnshine, Bridge To Indians, Mission Pak, Soul made beautiful and wonder if we could come up with something similarly evocative, and less confusing than 'Part 2'  for this piece.

Here are my suggestions:

Western Theme variation
False Prelude
Bridge to hmmmmmm
Prelude to hmmmmmm
Wish Upon A Star theme
Starshine
Piano Rehearsals

Please add your own and maybe we can start a new thread and vote on it and a new name might stick. Or just ignore this. I too clearly have too much time to kill this morning.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 05:00:43 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 06:32:19 AM »

Funnily enough, buddhahat, that was another thing I was going to post about this morning when I was trying to kill some time. SMiLE nomenclature. You ever had a conversation, either on-line or in real life, that goes something like this?

"Oh wow, I just noticed something really cool! You know that Do A Lot variation... er, the one that was recorded as part of Heroes and Villains, not the one from the Vega-Tables sessions... the one with the clapping overdub and Mike Love swearing on the end? Er... I think it's Track 17 on the second Japanese wax cylinder re-release of the SMiLING Vibrations boot... no, hang on, it's Track *19* on the third re-issue of the 'Wilsona Archaeologica' flexidisc... the single-sided version, not the limited edition coloured one with the lyrics to Teeter Totter Love scratched into the run-out groove... 'cause that one doesn't have the marimba overdubs... er... where was I?"

...and so on. It takes so long to explain which section you're talking about, you never get *started* on what you wanted to talk about half the time. And then after three replies, someone comes in and says 'I never liked He Gives Speeches anyway' and you have to explain that HGS is NOT the piece you're talking about, because the newcomer has got confused.

In 1996, on some message board or another, I suggested that every known fragment of SMiLE should be given a standard, uniquely identifiable name, so that we weren't forever going through conversations like the one above. Folk seemed to like the idea, as long as they didn't have to do it themselves... and of course I never got around to doing it. I thought I would suggest it again during the SMiLE Shop days, but again, I got called away to put up a shelf or something and it never happened.

Of course, now we have 'the real names' for all the sections, courtesy of Alan, Mark and C-Man's meticulous research into what was on the tape boxes and spoken session 'slates'. But as buddhahat has pointed out, there are about 356 sections all called 'H&V Part 2', and they're all wildly different. So the new nomenclature, whilst undoubtedly accurate, is not particularly helpful. I reckon a new system is called for, one which melds together the best names from the incomplete old systems (NO-ONE GETS TO RENAME FALSE BARNYARD) and finds new names for everything else.

Of course, it might be too late to introduce standard names for this stuff. Back when most SMiLologists hung out at the SMiLE Shop most of the time, it might have been possible to come up with 'IEEC SMiLE Section names' - something that everyone would follow. But now SMiLE is out there, and people hang out at many different boards. Now, even if we were to do it, we might end up with 'Smiley Smile Board Standard SMiLE names' that would be defiantly ignored by everyone at the Record Room, who might be following Prokopian Mean Section Names, or Hoffmanites who'd swear by The International System of Schenkian Standard SMiLE Section Nomenclature (or I-Five-SN), or Shut Down acolytes who refused to follow anything other than the long-standing, but now largely superseded Desper-Britz naming system. And Domenic Priore would have to have his own system that didn't acknowledge the validity of anyone else's... Wink

Anyway, I say it's still worth a shot. What d'yall reckon? *I* reckon you'll all like the idea... as long as you don't have to do it!  Plus ça change, and all that...!

To return to your question, buddhahat, I reckon that section should be called 'Joplin Interlude'.

MattB (who clearly has way too much time on his hands today)
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 07:26:11 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ty8mNFM358
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 07:29:35 AM by cablegeddon » Logged

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 08:15:29 AM »

Funnily enough, buddhahat, that was another thing I was going to post about this morning when I was trying to kill some time. SMiLE nomenclature. You ever had a conversation, either on-line or in real life, that goes something like this?

"Oh wow, I just noticed something really cool! You know that Do A Lot variation... er, the one that was recorded as part of Heroes and Villains, not the one from the Vega-Tables sessions... the one with the clapping overdub and Mike Love swearing on the end? Er... I think it's Track 17 on the second Japanese wax cylinder re-release of the SMiLING Vibrations boot... no, hang on, it's Track *19* on the third re-issue of the 'Wilsona Archaeologica' flexidisc... the single-sided version, not the limited edition coloured one with the lyrics to Teeter Totter Love scratched into the run-out groove... 'cause that one doesn't have the marimba overdubs... er... where was I?"

...and so on. It takes so long to explain which section you're talking about, you never get *started* on what you wanted to talk about half the time. And then after three replies, someone comes in and says 'I never liked He Gives Speeches anyway' and you have to explain that HGS is NOT the piece you're talking about, because the newcomer has got confused.

In 1996, on some message board or another, I suggested that every known fragment of SMiLE should be given a standard, uniquely identifiable name, so that we weren't forever going through conversations like the one above. Folk seemed to like the idea, as long as they didn't have to do it themselves... and of course I never got around to doing it. I thought I would suggest it again during the SMiLE Shop days, but again, I got called away to put up a shelf or something and it never happened.

Of course, now we have 'the real names' for all the sections, courtesy of Alan, Mark and C-Man's meticulous research into what was on the tape boxes and spoken session 'slates'. But as buddhahat has pointed out, there are about 356 sections all called 'H&V Part 2', and they're all wildly different. So the new nomenclature, whilst undoubtedly accurate, is not particularly helpful. I reckon a new system is called for, one which melds together the best names from the incomplete old systems (NO-ONE GETS TO RENAME FALSE BARNYARD) and finds new names for everything else.

Of course, it might be too late to introduce standard names for this stuff. Back when most SMiLologists hung out at the SMiLE Shop most of the time, it might have been possible to come up with 'IEEC SMiLE Section names' - something that everyone would follow. But now SMiLE is out there, and people hang out at many different boards. Now, even if we were to do it, we might end up with 'Smiley Smile Board Standard SMiLE names' that would be defiantly ignored by everyone at the Record Room, who might be following Prokopian Mean Section Names, or Hoffmanites who'd swear by The International System of Schenkian Standard SMiLE Section Nomenclature (or I-Five-SN), or Shut Down acolytes who refused to follow anything other than the long-standing, but now largely superseded Desper-Britz naming system. And Domenic Priore would have to have his own system that didn't acknowledge the validity of anyone else's... Wink

Anyway, I say it's still worth a shot. What d'yall reckon? *I* reckon you'll all like the idea... as long as you don't have to do it!  Plus ça change, and all that...!

To return to your question, buddhahat, I reckon that section should be called 'Joplin Interlude'.

MattB (who clearly has way too much time on his hands today)

Yep, 'Joplin Interlude' gets my vote!

As for your proposed plan, I think it makes a lot of sense for the pieces that have no clear name at present, so all those dit dit and bicyle rider riff variations and such like. If you want to start a thread and put forth a list of proposed pieces and names I shall endeavor to stop it sinking like a lead balloon for a least a day or so. You never know - the names may stick and all involved could be immortalized for ever in Smile lore. Oh, the kudos!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 11:49:42 AM »

I don't know about you, but I hardly *ever* say "Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE" out loud. When you're writing, like here, on the board, you can write 'BWPS', but I virtually never say that out loud in its long form. I tend to use 'Brian Wilson's SMiLE' or 'Brian's version of SMiLE' or 'the SMiLE from 2004' or some other such formulation.

Now we've got The SMiLE Sessions. At least you can say that easily enough, but some folk are already writing 'TSS'. That's OK for speakers of languages like Serbo-Croat or Welsh that don't use vowels between consonants a lot of the time, but what am I supposed to do with it? And worse, some enterprising folk are already hard at work on mashups like 'Brian Wilson Presents The SMiLE Sessions', with all the stuff that's complete from the new box set with BWPS filling in the tracks that weren't finished in 1966. That's BWPTSS. How the hell am I gonna say THAT???

I propose the following standardised, nominalised acronyms:

The SMiLE Sessions = TSS = 'Tuss'

Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE = BWPS = 'Bu-wu-puss' or 'Bwoopuss'

Brian Wilson Presents The SMiLE Sessions = BWPTSS = 'Bu-wup-tuss'

Summer In Paradise = SIP = 'Aywerr-thless-krok-uk-rap'

Just remember not to put the new mashup on when you take your other half to bed, as then you might suffer from Coitus In Bu-wup-tuss. And then they might open a can of Bu-wu-puss on you.

And yes, I *am* trying to kill time this morning, why do you ask?

MattB

In my mind I pronounce all the abbreviations as letters. "Tee Ess Ess", "Bee Double-You Pee Ess", et cetera. But on the offchance I'm talking about it in person, I'll say "Brian Wilson Presents Smile". I don't think things like "Tuss" or "Bwoopus" would ever catch on.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx