gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:53:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The SMiLE Sessions (CD, 2CD, 2LP, and Box Set)
5 - 85 (93.4%)
4 - 4 (4.4%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 1 (1.1%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 1 (1.1%)
Total Voters: 83

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The SMiLE Sessions (CD, 2CD, 2LP, and Box Set)  (Read 26203 times)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2011, 11:27:06 AM »

Discuss, review and rate the SMiLE Sessions (CD, 2CD, 2LP, and Box Set), released November 1st 2011.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 02:57:46 PM »

Well, can't believe no one's reviewed it yet. Maybe because it's a no brainer?

Of course everyone will have a suggestion for how the disc 1 sequence could be improved, but I have to say one of the biggest surprises for me was just how good that sequence actually is.

And I don't know where to start with the rest of the set, suffice to say hearing the Fender Rhodes version of dada, or the Vocal montage is like rediscovering The Beach Boys all over again.

5 Stars!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 08:24:42 AM »

This is an easy 5 from me. The music is phenomenal, but we already knew that now didn't we? Grin I got the 5 CD Box Set.

Now on to the contents of the box. The cover is probably one of the coolest looking 3D effects that I've ever seen. I was skeptical at first when I first heard they were trying to turn the original Frank Holmes artwork into 3D for the cover lid of the box, but when I saw this for myself I was blown away at how good it looked. It looks like there is a diorama built inside the lid. I guess I'll have to use it as a decoration of some sort.

The amount of music you get on the Box Set is staggering, especially when compared to the recent expensive Box Sets issued by other bands (Pink Floyd, The Stone's Exile on Main Street Box Set). For the SMiLE Sessions you get 5 CDs of 140 songs and sessions outtakes, a vinyl LP, and two singles. That is way more than similarly priced Box Sets released by other bands (no offense to those other bands). I enjoyed CD 1 the most since it presents the album in as complete form as possible, but it is certainly fascinating to hear Brian at work in the studio, directing the members of the Wrecking Crew and the Beach Boys to carry out whatever vision he had inside his head.

I also enjoyed the informative hard cover book that came with it. Most of the essays written by the band members presented nothing that we hardcore fans haven't heard before, but I particularly enjoyed Brian and Mike's essays the most. Knowing what process in recent years led Brian to revisit the SMiLE project was fascinating for me to hear, especially because I saw some of the things he was describing live, like the All Star Tribute to Brian Wilson, and I had no idea what was going through Brian's head at the time. I also liked Mike's no nonsense approach to the essay (some might say "defensive") where he laid down the facts regarding his position on the music. The sessionography, lyrics, artwork, photos, and anecdotal essays were also excellent.

The poster makes a nice decoration, although it's a shame about the nasty creases that come with it from it needing to be folded into the box. I don't own a record player so I have yet to listen to all of the vinyl that comes with the set. Physically though, I'd imagine it's nice for some people to get to hold an actual vinyl copy of SMiLE in their hands for nostalgia purposes. A lot of people have been waiting a long time for the day they could physically hold a copy of the actual SMiLE album in their hands.

Overall, I'm very happy about this release.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 12:02:10 PM »

I definitely have to give the box set a 5. It is absolutely wonderful, from the music to the packaging, booklet and presentation. There are some little things I could grumble about, but they are really insignificant in the end, and mostly boil down to just wanting more stuff  Tongue

A big kudos to everyone involved in putting this out, because it is by far the best box set I have ever known of, in every possible aspect. I only wish I had more time to devote to taking it all in.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 12:13:20 PM »

We have the rest of our lives!  Grin

Sometimes, when I feel a bit down what with winter and the degree and money trouble and all that, the mere sight of this boxset on my shelf cheers me up. It's SMiLE, and it's here  Smiley

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 08:03:51 PM »

Guess nobody likes it.  Or they can't afford it.  Had to buy Justin Bieber's Xmas record for the kiddos instead.

I will say 5 since, being in such a small group, my vote really counts.

Who gave this a 4?  The boss fella here?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 08:05:35 PM by Dr. Tim » Logged

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
Jason
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 09:50:11 PM »

Who gave this a 4?  The boss fella here?

Phil. Smiley
RadBooley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 09:54:25 PM »

What's there to discuss? Great music, great package. Easy 5.

Man, I love that box.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 08:52:56 AM »

SMiLE SESSIONS? AWESOME. 5. 'Nuff Said.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 09:37:28 AM »

5, obviously. Stunning presentation, music, box, etc. Did you know the box set sold out in the UK? What can i say, we took Pet Sounds to our hearts back in '66 and we've done the same with Smile in 2011 - we got such great taste us limeys.
Puggal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 10:31:03 AM »

5, obviously. Stunning presentation, music, box, etc. Did you know the box set sold out in the UK? What can i say, we took Pet Sounds to our hearts back in '66 and we've done the same with Smile in 2011 - we got such great taste us limeys.

Can you please support your argument with further evidence -- how is it "obviously" a five? Remember to use both primary and secondary sources to support your claim.

B- until revision. Let's talk after class next week!

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 05:46:33 PM »

I bought the vinyl set. Would love to have got the big box, but can't afford it - and honestly, I don't know how much of that session stuff I need to listen to. I don't play the Pet Sounds Sessions all that often. I will still add the 2 cd version to my collection one of these days, though. The sound on the vinyl is just won-won-wonderful, better than I could have expected. In fact, the day I walked into the store - Silver Platters - I was looking all over for it, didn't see one copy on the floor. Asked the guys at the register, and one of them went into the storeroom and brought out the one copy they had left. For that they have earned my undying loyalty. It was about 8 years ago that I found a vinyl boot of Smile at a store just up the street, but this is so much better! The missing piece of the puzzle.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 12:21:47 AM »

The greatest Beach Boys album and tragedy.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 01:19:57 AM »

I bought the vinyl set. Would love to have got the big box, but can't afford it - and honestly, I don't know how much of that session stuff I need to listen to. I don't play the Pet Sounds Sessions all that often. I will still add the 2 cd version to my collection one of these days, though. The sound on the vinyl is just won-won-wonderful, better than I could have expected. In fact, the day I walked into the store - Silver Platters - I was looking all over for it, didn't see one copy on the floor. Asked the guys at the register, and one of them went into the storeroom and brought out the one copy they had left. For that they have earned my undying loyalty. It was about 8 years ago that I found a vinyl boot of Smile at a store just up the street, but this is so much better! The missing piece of the puzzle.

Look, I can relate to the $ decision, it's a lot of bread - but I encourage you to save up, sell some old stuff, donate something if you're allowed too - but you should buy it! 

I'm not that big on the PS session either, but the SMiLe sessions are a different kettle of fish and they really blew me away - I was reluctant to listen to the Good Vibes sessions having heard the +tracks on the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey twofer+ other gear around the shop.  But the sessions on the box (especially the GV inspiration sessions at Western) are a must have.

The box is cool, the book is great;  invaluable notation by Craig Slowinski - and as a highlight (for me) a cool blurb by Diane Rovell, a scoop given the amount of shi* she was across but we rarely see her on the various big doco's etc (maybe her choice, I don't know).

It's only $114 at the big A, or ask your pals at SP what they can do if you don't want to go the A-route

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 06:26:01 PM »

I'll find a used copy in a few years for $70 or so, so I'm okay.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2012, 12:15:40 PM »

Can you please support your argument with further evidence -- how is it "obviously" a five? Remember to use both primary and secondary sources to support your claim.

B- until revision. Let's talk after class next week!

Yeah, thanks for that. Good post.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 01:32:24 PM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
Johnston65
Smiley Smile Associate

Can you even boogaloo it?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 01:30:16 AM »

Favorite part of the entire boxset:

"Hey, we were in Japan a year ago."
"Today?"
(Slight pause) "I guess so..."

Cracks me up every time.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 06:54:05 AM »

Favorite part of the entire boxset:

"Hey, we were in Japan a year ago."
"Today?"
(Slight pause) "I guess so..."

Cracks me up every time.

Where's that?

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 07:21:27 AM »

First children were raised session.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
scooby1970
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 02:31:30 AM »

Bought the box-set on release day (as I do with all Beach Boys products), and still enjoying it. The packaging, combined with the track selection is just mind blowing, it's an eye opener and a must buy for all Beach Boys fans.

Smiley Mark

Long time Beach Boys fan and collector. Long time forum browser.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 10:53:55 PM »

Brilliant, just Brilliant!
No Contest, it's 5 out of 5 for me.
Can't believe it took well over 40 years to do this!
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 03:24:27 PM »

I am sure glad they finally released this and BW completed his version while I am still breathing..!  5/5  A great piece of art that will stand the test of time for eternity .  The legacy of Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys is assured in the heavens.. Proof that Brian Wilson could hear things only a dog could hear. {Mike Love} A definitive desert island set.. Anybody that calls themselves a musician NEEDS to listen to this music.. I must go, the music box music  is calling me again..
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

Male eagle walking down the street....

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 11:45:46 PM »

The greatest album never released.

5/5
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2014, 11:48:01 PM »

Thought since I've talked so much about it I ought to add my vote in here. I debated taking off a star for the misguided use of the BWPS sequence, and the overabundance of Good Vibes sessions (I thought an entire disc was way too excessive--would've preferred either isolations, more Psychedelic Sounds and maybe some Smiley session highlights.) But then I thought, screw that. This is freaking SMiLE--literally some of the best music ever recorded. I've gotten more enjoyment out of this boxset, whether it be listening, reading or playing around working on my own mix, then I've gotten out of any other purchase I can think of. It really is amazing to be able to say I own the most legendary unfinished album ever. I never thought it wouldve happened within the Beach Boy's lifetimes, but what a great thing to be proven wrong.

So, my misgivings on Disc 1's sequence and Disc 5's content aside...this really is a remarkable product. 5/5 for me.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
StillSurfin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2014, 01:35:51 PM »

Along with the Unsurpassed Masters 'Smile' tracks, is every 'Smile' song and fragment now released?, or is there any still yet to be discovered in the vaults. Also I read I think it was in Brian's book, that he said about erasing the 'Smile' tapes because of the bad vibes around the Mrs O'Learys Cow or something. So I'm assuming if Brian did erase tapes, he most likely erased other fragments/songs not included on the Unsurpassed set and the Smile boxset. Although when Prince recorded the original version of 'Old Friends 4 Sale' he erased it then re-recorded it with different lyrics.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx