gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681550 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 05:46:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can't Wait Too Long  (Read 3696 times)
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2011, 06:42:29 PM »

HOwdo - hope everyones diggin TSS sessions

Can't Wait Too Long

although i THINK it's not a SMiLE era track, its soo similiar in instrumentation/vibe etc I was kinda hopin we'd have seen some of this on TSS aaaages ago when TSS was first being mooted

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Can%27t_Wait_Too_Long

got some info here on the tune but does anyone have any more info on this great peice of music?
ive heard upto and including Unsurpassed Masters Vol.17 but missed out on 18 & 19, 19 espcially as this has a few dif versions of this tune
why did it stay hidden/unreleased for so long?
does in have a missing main melody or other parts?

one of my 10 ten fav BB tunes, first heard it on the 2 fer 1 smileysmile cd, then on the GV Boxset - but thats it, (not including solo B.Wilson, just BB era)

thanks for your help
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 07:21:02 PM »

Kinda strange that "Three Blind Mice" makes TSS but not "Can't Wait Too Long".

It's similar to the "Wind Chimes" chorus. I don't know if I buy that it was derived directly from it (the chord progression is similar but not exactly the same, and we're talking three notes, here), but the fact that it's possible would've made it a good candidate for the box set.

Ah well, the set's good enough as is. Wild Honey box set plz?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 07:52:54 PM »

Everytime I hear this song, you know what I think about?

"You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)"

Am I alone?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 08:04:02 PM »

Am I alone?

Very.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 08:14:12 AM »

Kinda strange that "Three Blind Mice" makes TSS but not "Can't Wait Too Long".

It's similar to the "Wind Chimes" chorus. I don't know if I buy that it was derived directly from it (the chord progression is similar but not exactly the same, and we're talking three notes, here), but the fact that it's possible would've made it a good candidate for the box set.

Ah well, the set's good enough as is. Wild Honey box set plz?

i had been hoping for both to be honest - pleased that 3 blind mice is on there though! wouldv been great to heard Can't wait too long as well
do you know much about this song? like you say it does have a passing resemblance note wise to elements of SMiLE
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 08:35:25 AM »

Mark Linnett referred to it in the iconfetch interview, implying that certain choices had to be made and they decided that CWTL wasn't sufficiently Smile-related. I believe the main work on the long track dates from 1968 (the Carl vocal part from 1967 and Wild Honey era), so the conception of the song was well after Smile (unlike, say, Cool Water).
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 08:50:13 AM »

Mark Linnett referred to it in the iconfetch interview, implying that certain choices had to be made and they decided that CWTL wasn't sufficiently Smile-related. I believe the main work on the long track dates from 1968 (the Carl vocal part from 1967 and Wild Honey era), so the conception of the song was well after Smile (unlike, say, Cool Water).

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
mustv missed that bit, it does make me think though, would pieces like this have comprised 1 of the mooted additional 2 cds we could have had?
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 09:53:34 AM »

sure would've liked to have seen "Hawaiian Song/Little Pad" included, considering the Hawaiian element of SMiLE and they were basically of the era... as much as "With Me Tonight" apparently and way more than "3 Blind Mice" or "Teeter Totter Love" but what ya gonna do?
DontHateTheLove
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 10:53:39 AM »

Agreed, doesn't make me think of it at all.  And while I love the Beatles I really don't care for "You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)" , but I love Can't Wait Too Long.  I seem to like it more every time I hear it.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 02:08:41 PM »

I'm just saying the 'record 1 theme over and over endlessly each one sounds slightly different some are pretty funny" thing is about the same.  Everytime I hear it the first thing that pops in my head is "You know my name". 
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 02:39:12 PM »

Am I alone?
I actually see what you mean. Pretty long song, with lots of different sections and repeating the same lyrics over and over again is that what you mean?
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 03:28:21 PM »

Am I alone?
I actually see what you mean. Pretty long song, with lots of different sections and repeating the same lyrics over and over again is that what you mean?

Exactly, that's what I'm talking about. 
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 05:56:34 PM »

Am I alone?

Exactly, that's what I'm talking about. 

i think the style of both is called modular music? might be wrong tho  Undecided ,
kinda like variations on a theme i think, i really like that kinda thing, reminds me of classical composition abit?

not too clued up on this side of things but i always thought CWTL and its modular arrangement/variations on a theme, fitted in well with SMiLE's musical style, a continued morphing/evloving of a theme into diferent directions so brings a little light dif notes/phrasings as it evolves?

or am i rambling rubbish? Undecided Embarrassed

either way, any other tunes like this id love to hear about them Cool Guy
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 09:21:02 AM »

I think there is a clear link between the vibes part of Can't Wait Too Long and the bass part of Wind Chimes, actually it's exactly the same
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 01:22:29 AM »

I think there is a clear link between the vibes part of Can't Wait Too Long and the bass part of Wind Chimes, actually it's exactly the same

Not exactly the same.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2011, 05:01:12 AM »

Well maybe not exactly, but at least it makes a clear connection between CWTL and SMiLE. Many of the SMiLe songs have that chromatic pattern at some point during the song
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2011, 06:48:54 PM »

Am I alone?

No you aren't alone, both songs are made up of several different sections/modular recordings.
 The songs sound very different to each other but are similar in the way they were recorded.

"I loaned you money when the funds weren't too cool"

"The ocean scares me."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1976
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx