gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:23:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Deluxe Reissue Box Set Fantasies  (Read 2531 times)
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2011, 11:58:45 AM »

The SMiLE box set gave me an idea which I think would make a great concept for the rest of their albums if the back catalog was to receive reissue treatment.

Although this wouldn't be financially viable and would never actually happen, I think it would be kind of neat if each album was released in the form of the Deluxe SMiLE box, but the actual box would look like the box that the master tape for that album was stored in, the contents of the box would contain a book that in the same vein as the SMiLE one contained the band's thoughts, memories anecdotes etc of the album, the album as it appeared originally on vinyl (In the case of albums like Love You this would include repros of inserts etc), a poster of the album art, the album on CD, a couple of disks of bonus material and a DVD with studio/live footage of that time and contemporary and recent interviews regarding it too, maybe for the later albums a section of the DVD could be devoted to music videos.

I would love to include photoshopped images to clarify what I mean, but my photoshop skills are less than fantastic  LOL

I can dream I guess  Cry
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 12:56:29 PM »

Why not? Rhino did pretty much the same thing (sans DVD) with The Monkees, including, God knows why, Instant Replay. (If they ever do the same for Changes or Pool It!, I might just Frisbee all my Colgems records into the offices of Rhino.)

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
P.J.
Smiley Smile Associate

The least you could do is smile.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 01:00:44 PM »

Instant Replay is brilliant! I love Nesmith's stuff on that album. I just preordered mine!

"I heard the word -- wonderful thing -- a children's song."
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 01:17:35 PM »

Why not? Rhino did pretty much the same thing (sans DVD) with The Monkees, including, God knows why, Instant Replay. (If they ever do the same for Changes or Pool It!, I might just Frisbee all my Colgems records into the offices of Rhino.)

I guess Rhino would be the company to handle this sort of thing, everything I've had that they handled has been a good product, still in love with their Traveling Wilburys reissue.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 01:55:13 PM »

I think they should at least do a 2cd set of each album, even the early ones.  The Surfer Girl album is SOLID I think a 2cd set could easily be made of that and have pretty consistant quality through it. 

obscurereference
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 03:48:37 AM »

The 2CD smile box looks great, so I'd love it if they did something similar for every album (badge and poster optional!).

CD1: The album & bonus tracks, CD2: session highlights

Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 01:05:16 AM »

For each box contemporary live or TV appearance footage could be added.

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 02:12:22 AM »

1962-1967:
CD1 - mono & stereo mixes
CD2 - outtakes/odd singles & sessions

1968-date
CD1 - album & outtakes/odd singles
CD2 - sessions

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 02:16:11 AM »

You could really get into bonus stuff on some of these albums, Sunflower for example.

Disc 1: Album
Disc 2: Outtakes
Disc 3: Contemporary concert
Disc 4: Quad mix

Friends would be hard, as would C&TP and Holland. 15 Big Ones seems to have a glut of material, plus the original mix of the album. But seriously, what would deluxe Friends even look like?

Indian Wisdom
You're as Cool As You Can Be*
Our Happy Home*
Friends (mono)
Little Bird (mono)

*-no telling how insubstantial these ones are
Is there really enough stuff for a two disc edition?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 02:21:25 AM by Fishmonk » Logged

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 02:19:45 AM »

Smiley Smile......... Everything!!! + a whole disc of 'Little Pad' sessions  Afro

Wild Honey......... Everything!!! + a whole disc of 'Country Air' sessions  Afro

Sunflower......... Everything!!!  Stack-o-tracks, Stack-o-vocals, and this album would
look great in a 'matching' box to that of SMiLE Afro

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said "Banana!"
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 03:20:38 AM »

I think that, should God knock on my door and tell me I could have just one deluxe box... it would have to be Sunflower, with Today ! a real close second.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 03:39:16 AM »

Session stuff not so neccessary to me(SMiLE being a sort of exception by it's nature), outtakes and the like I would give my left arm for. And thats the arm I use to...you know.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 04:33:31 AM »

Love You Box set with Disc 2 being an hour long of Brian playing unadulterated 'Shortenin Bread' and box notes written by Foskett.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 05:29:45 AM »

I think that, should God knock on my door and tell me I could have just one deluxe box... it would have to be Sunflower, with Today ! a real close second.
A remastered Today!/Summer days Box Set with Sessions would be awesome. Also have the guess i'm dumb and [insert] she needs me tapes if they still exist.
Certain twofer box sets of great  albums in the catalog would work.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 05:59:37 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 05:53:56 AM »

One deluxe box?

Maybe Wild Honey. At least a stereo mix would be awesome. A Surf's Up box would be great too, with lots of Til I Die sessions... 3D
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 11:44:45 AM »

I'd quite like a Surf's Up box, there's some stuff I think would be great, a clean well mixed "My Solution" and Brian's 1971 vocal attempts for Surf's Up and "A Day In The Life of A Tree" for starters, actually an accapella of the ADITLOAT tag would be quite nice too. And the obvious much wanted stuff, WIBNTLA etc.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 11:58:20 AM »

You could really get into bonus stuff on some of these albums, Sunflower for example.

Disc 1: Album
Disc 2: Outtakes
Disc 3: Contemporary concert
Disc 4: Quad mix

Friends would be hard, as would C&TP and Holland. 15 Big Ones seems to have a glut of material, plus the original mix of the album. But seriously, what would deluxe Friends even look like?

Indian Wisdom
You're as Cool As You Can Be*
Our Happy Home*
Friends (mono)
Little Bird (mono)

*-no telling how insubstantial these ones are
Is there really enough stuff for a two disc edition?

don't forget Little Red book! And We're Together Again, and the early When a Man Needs a Woman.
prefect319
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 12:05:53 PM »

1962-1967:
CD1 - mono & stereo mixes
CD2 - outtakes/odd singles & sessions

1968-date
CD1 - album & outtakes/odd singles
CD2 - sessions

Exactly. There is enough unreleased stuff out there that they could expand the albums. Think about this. We have all those unreleased things on the gv box set to start with . There you go. Use those tracks with their respective albums and add some of what isn't officially released.  My god, the love you reisue could have adult child as disc 2. Can we imagine having that mt. vernon and farway demo released? The mind boggles.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx