gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680823 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 03:50:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: So where are all the guys?  (Read 7183 times)
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2011, 04:00:42 AM »

I'm reading this thread and thinking that 15 years ago, I would have thought it IMPOSSIBLE that a media campaign to promote the release of the SMiLE sessions might be fronted by Brian Wilson.

You know what? I'm really happy. Brian Douglas Wilson fronting a major media campaign to promote SMiLE. I'm still pinching myself.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2011, 08:21:07 AM »

Mike's working on his '..the crow flies..' line for next year. Grin

http://gothamist.com/2011/10/27/brian_wilson.php

Have you considered touring with The Beach Boys who are still alive, and performing the Smile material?

Brian: I don't know, we haven't discussed that yet.

I read that interview earlier today.  Kind of your standard "yes, no" BW interview but I did enjoy this part:

What do you think about the raft of newer musicians, such as Panda Bear, who see you as an influence. Do you listen to their music at all? No I don't actually. I listen to oldies but goodies records.

Are there any contemporary bands or singers that you enjoy?
Oldies but goodies.

Hahaha.  You need to add that little exchange there to that thread on here somewhere about Brianisms.  That's a good one.  Brian's turned into a cranky old man in some ways, lol.  The only way it would have been better, is if somehow Brian cut the guy off with the second line. 
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2011, 12:34:42 PM »

HERE are the guys (all of them):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot7vCQisW_4&feature=channel_video_title
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2011, 12:42:28 PM »

This was interesting too:

Do you write a lot on a day-to-day basis? Do the songs pour out ever? I've been having a creative explosion lately, I really have. Just lately. I've written some good songs.

What are they about? Well, some of them are about shelter, some are about the private life of Bill and Sue. Different kinds of songs.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2011, 02:46:58 PM »

Great youtube clip. Wonder if that is going to be for a doco?
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2011, 04:37:25 PM »

I don't know about anyone else but I was really surprised by Mike's appearance...and voice for that matter.  I practically didn't recognize when his voiceover came on and barely recognized him when he came on screen.  He seemed to be in worse condition during the Reagan concert but I'm unsure what to think in this latest video.  He does seem older but I just can't put my finger on it.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2011, 08:05:40 AM »

I actually thought he looked better than I have seen him in quite some time.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2011, 09:08:28 AM »

Mike just seemed down..

I don't think SMiLE is a very joyful topic for him

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2011, 09:34:25 AM »

Mike just seemed down..

I personally didn't get that impression but I wouldn't blame him if his demeanor when discussing "SMiLE" is just as you described, hindsight being what it is. 

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2011, 09:50:18 AM »

Mike just seemed down..

I personally didn't get that impression but I wouldn't blame him if his demeanor when discussing "SMiLE" is just as you described, hindsight being what it is. 

He must feel really awkward .

Poor Mike, doesn't deserve half of the crap he get's for SMiLE

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2011, 10:08:17 AM »

I don't know about anyone else but I was really surprised by Mike's appearance...and voice for that matter.  I practically didn't recognize when his voiceover came on and barely recognized him when he came on screen.  He seemed to be in worse condition during the Reagan concert but I'm unsure what to think in this latest video.  He does seem older but I just can't put my finger on it.

Mike is 70. His speaking voice has aged (you know-- older people SOUND older. McCartney has a bit of "old man voice" now too), as has his face. Obviously all the guys have aged, but people age in different ways. I think it must be awkward for him to speak about an album that MOST people think he hates. But I applaud him for doing it.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2011, 12:06:23 PM »

Mike just seemed down..

Isn't it interesting that Brian seems to light up when talking about SMiLE - even though he has recently said that he still has some negative feelings associated with it. And Mike seems to find it hard to discuss SMiLE.

Still, Mike's view on SMiLE is the same as he was putting about in 2004...that the music was great.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2011, 12:22:55 PM »

David Beard did an excellent job on the Goldmine article coming up...

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2011, 12:57:36 PM »

Sounds to me like Mike was battling a cold. He sounded very hoarse. It's not at all how he sounds in most other recent interviews (Endless Harmony, for instance, even though that was 12 years ago now -- sheesh!).
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2011, 05:09:20 PM »

Yeah someone was talking about this a few weeks ago, and then produced some shocking video footage of Mike just KILLING IT live about a month ago.  So for whatever reason some days he's really reserved and oldmanny, and on other days he's still pretty perky.  Hell Brian's the same way.  Hell maybe everybody old is the same way. 
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2011, 07:12:33 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhzVvY_xr64

May have been this clip. In fine form here Sept. (Sorry about the show pony with him)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2011, 07:17:58 PM »

http://www.examiner.com/beatles-in-national/beatle-news-briefs-beatle-radio-show-features-beach-boy-paul-helps-out-a-piano

Brian doing a live radio show Sunday.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2011, 08:11:50 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhzVvY_xr64

May have been this clip. In fine form here Sept. (Sorry about the show pony with him)

That's the one! He's almost a musician in that one.  You can hear the tamborine and everything.  I love Love Love Mike Love. 

People always want their heroes to never change, to be exactly what they used to be, all through time.  There he is. 
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2011, 09:34:08 PM »

Not everyone thinks so. See the comments.

Sad, really sad.
oldsurferdude1 1 month ago

Roll Eyes
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2011, 11:37:12 PM »

It's really weird...I've sorta warmed up to Mike in his older age.  Somehow his corniness has leveled out as he's grown older...and it seems to suit him better in his more maturer days.  Back in the day, it was hard to look past the doucheyness but it's seems to have evened out, weirdly enough. 

Performance wise, I've been impressed with Mike's contribution in the last few years.  His voice has held up pretty well and he's geling pretty good with the band.  Here's some video I took last summer in Long Beach...some pretty solid musicianship by Mike on each song....

Sloop John B
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35eEmZtYn_Q

Back In The USSR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEWT-6aFYik

Summertime Blues
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjDOY_3ckw0
John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2011, 02:08:32 AM »

Sounds to me like Mike was battling a cold. He sounded very hoarse. It's not at all how he sounds in most other recent interviews (Endless Harmony, for instance, even though that was 12 years ago now -- sheesh!).

Is that the same cold he had when he laid the vocals down on Catch a Wave in 1963?

"It's more blessed to give than receive"

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2011, 03:45:51 AM »

It's really weird...I've sorta warmed up to Mike in his older age.  Somehow his corniness has leveled out as he's grown older...and it seems to suit him better in his more maturer days.  Back in the day, it was hard to look past the doucheyness but it's seems to have evened out, weirdly enough. 

Performance wise, I've been impressed with Mike's contribution in the last few years.  His voice has held up pretty well and he's geling pretty good with the band.  Here's some video I took last summer in Long Beach...some pretty solid musicianship by Mike on each song....

Sloop John B
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35eEmZtYn_Q

Back In The USSR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEWT-6aFYik

Summertime Blues
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjDOY_3ckw0

I thought Mike looked great in the Smile vid. He's a great looking 70-year-old. And he finally looks is age... he always looked a little older than he was. Endless touring wore his speaking voice, but his singing voice sounds fantasic most of the time. Plus he probably has a cold.

Re. a no-show. Mike's answered the same questions about smile through the years, he's been consistent about it. He'll be asked the same stuff again. If what he says contradicts the black legend, he'll be attacked. If what he says validates some aspects of that legend (for example liking VDP but not some of his lyrics) he'll be attacked also. He's already talked and will be doing some more, it seems. We know per Scott Totten that backstage Mike had tears in his eyes while praising Wonderful. He Loves his cousin's music. And he's done more for the release of this Smile than his detractors would have dreamed of.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2011, 02:02:41 AM »

http://www.montereycountyweekly.com/news/2011/nov/03/still-surfing/
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2011, 03:34:08 AM »

Just imagine the reaction if Mike had said that stuff about money.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx