gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:30:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: All things TSS packaging, presentation and booklet etc  (Read 118613 times)
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 17, 2021, 03:04:34 AM »

Can the lightup box be bought anywhere in 2020?

So, 4 months after making THAT comment! Smileysmile user 'MyOnlySunshine' got in touch to say that he'd found one for sale, though unfortunately at the time the seller wouldn't ship internationally (I'm in the UK, and most of these boxes seem to be in the US)

Well, it's a long story but as I was trying to bid on the auction using my American forwarder address, something went wrong at the last minute and I missed out. I mentioned this to MyOnlySunshine and, amazingly, he had the winning bid Shocked and kindly offered it to me instead of keeping it! I thought I'd lost it completely and this was an amazing surprise!

What resulted was much research on both our parts to find the best way of getting it over (including our shock at UPS quoting nearly $400 to ship it over during the era of Covid)

myonlysunshine received the product, repackaged it to better suit an international trip, and got it insured and shipped over to the UK and didn't really ask for anything extra in return - THANK YOU! It arrived yesterday, number 169 (of? 200? 250?)

You're a good man
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 06:55:23 AM by UEF » Logged
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 18, 2021, 04:46:15 PM »

Can the lightup box be bought anywhere in 2020?

So, 4 months after making THAT comment! Smileysmile user 'MyOnlySunshine' got in touch to say that he'd found one for sale, though unfortunately at the time the seller wouldn't ship internationally (I'm in the UK, and most of these boxes seem to be in the US)

Well, it's a long story but as I was trying to bid on the auction using my American forwarder address, something went wrong at the last minute and I missed out. I mentioned this to MyOnlySunshine and, amazingly, he had the winning bid Shocked and kindly offered it to me instead of keeping it! I thought I'd lost it completely and this was an amazing surprise!

What resulted was much research on both our parts to find the best way of getting it over (including our shock at UPS quoting nearly $400 to ship it over during the era of Covid)

myonlysunshine received the product, repackaged it to better suit an international trip, and got it insured and shipped over to the UK and didn't really ask for anything extra in return - THANK YOU! It arrived yesterday, number 169 (of? 200? 250?)

You're a good man

Happy to help, UEF! And thank you for all the info you provided regarding shipping options and your help with coordinating all this. This was my first time shipping an item like this abroad.
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2021, 10:17:15 PM »

Hi UEF, and congratulations on your new SMiLE Light-Up Edition Box Set!  Smiley (That was very cool of MyOnlySunshine!)

I'm wondering if you can do me a favor. In this photograph: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5336/7185967940_9c9caae260_n.jpg there appears to be some writing that I think says "Battery Installation Instructions" and some other writing below it too small for me to read. Could you take a photo of that writing from your box set so I could read it? I'm trying to find out if the batteries came pre-installed in those light-up box sets. I have one I never opened, and have recently become worried about battery acid leaking out inside the box. (gosh, I sure hope not!)

Thank you in advance, Smiley
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 10:20:26 PM by Tricycle Rider » Logged

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2021, 06:56:32 AM »

Hi UEF, and congratulations on your new SMiLE Light-Up Edition Box Set!  Smiley (That was very cool of MyOnlySunshine!)

I'm wondering if you can do me a favor. In this photograph: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5336/7185967940_9c9caae260_n.jpg there appears to be some writing that I think says "Battery Installation Instructions" and some other writing below it too small for me to read. Could you take a photo of that writing from your box set so I could read it? I'm trying to find out if the batteries came pre-installed in those light-up box sets. I have one I never opened, and have recently become worried about battery acid leaking out inside the box. (gosh, I sure hope not!)

Thank you in advance, Smiley

Hi Tricycle Rider, I know you are addressing UEF but I actually have the answer to your question as well — yes, batteries unfortunately come preinstalled inside the Light Up sets. The sets take/include three AA batteries, and the brand of battery that they used isn’t a big-name brand that I recognize (i.e. Duracell, Energizer, Panasonic, etc.). They are alkaline batteries. This is my biggest peeve with the Light Up sets – they shouldn't have installed batteries prior to sealing the sets.

I remember when I first received my Light Up Edition, one of the batteries actually came loose during shipping and was rolling around inside of the set. Thankfully I had planned on opening my box set anyway once it arrived, so I was able to put that loose battery back into the battery compartment. Much later when I was preparing to transport my Light Up box to one of Al’s storyteller solo shows to have him add his autograph to it, I opened up the battery compartment again and I noticed that the middle battery had started to leak and that the corresponding coil in the middle of the compartment had begun to corrode as a result. I removed all three batteries from the battery compartment and cleaned it by applying cleaning vinegar (6% acidity – since alkaline is a base, it needs to be neutralized with an acid) to the corroded coil with a q-tip and then let it sit for a few minutes to do its work. After drying the coil using a combination of water (applied by q-tip), dry q-tips, a cotton cloth, and rubbing alcohol, the corrosion was neutralized/removed and thankfully I got the coil looking good as new. I confirmed that the lights were still working afterwards by putting fresh batteries in, and after that I removed those batteries and have kept the battery compartment empty ever since.

Now that the Light Up sets are almost 10 years old, I imagine most people who left their sets sealed or who opened theirs but never bothered to remove the batteries that came with them are now experiencing some degree of battery leakage. It absolutely sucks that they did this – for once I wish batteries weren't included!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 12:18:40 PM by myonlysunshine » Logged
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 09, 2021, 11:41:00 AM »

For some reason I assumed that flyer thing was on the outside of the box and under clear shrink wrap so it could be read from the outside; is it not?

myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2021, 01:23:18 PM »

Here's a photo I took of my Light Up set's back insert, specifically the portion shown in the photo Tricycle Rider linked to:

What they don't tell you – and what they also made more confusing/less clear by the "Install batteries as indicated" sentence – is that they both included and installed the batteries already. Meaning that you are pretty much good to go to activate the light switch once you unseal your set, but if you don't unseal it, well.... the batteries will eventually start to leak, just like one of them started to do in my case. I was fortunate to catch that process at a very early stage.

For some reason I assumed that flyer thing was on the outside of the box and under clear shrink wrap so it could be read from the outside; is it not?

Most of the back insert is, yes, but the small flap in the above photo actually came tucked inside the lids of the box sets, where the front lid meets the back lid. So the info on the flap isn't visible to anyone who kept their set sealed. The only reason I know this is A) The regular non-Light Up versions were packaged this way as well, which I know because I own a still-sealed regular set myself, and B) I actually made an unboxing video when I first received and opened my Light Up set, and upon viewing it again just now, I can confirm that the flap in question was/is tucked into the box, just like how they were for the non-Light Ups.

Here's a photo of my sealed regular set so you can see what I mean:

Unlike the Light Up sets though, the flap on the regular sets are blank:

(I own, like, 4 SMiLE Sessions sets: 1 Light Up Edition and 3 regular versions, one of which is sealed, for anyone who is wondering where I am getting all of these pictures from LOL)
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2021, 05:21:16 PM »

Hello my brothers in all things Beach Boys, and thank you both for the replies. 

Well, the answer regarding the batteries being already installed is both what I feared, and what I "just knew" would be the case.

After reading your post myonlysunshine, I went (with much trepidation) and opened my set. All three of the batteries are leaking from both ends, and they're all "incased" in battery acid. The worst example of it I've ever seen. At the moment, I can't even remove them. It seems the best way forward would be to replace the battery holder altogether, but I can't figure out how it's mounted in there (hot glue?) and only want to use so much force with it as to not damage the 3D box lid.

I don't make a lot of money, and had to save up to get this version of the set, so I'm really bummed out. What were they thinking selling a collectors box set like this with the batteries already installed? I thought it was common knowledge that collectors like to keep things like this sealed, and will usually buy another copy to open and listen to. You're right about those "battery installation" instructions too. They make it sound like YOU have to install them.

Sigh..... Sad

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 14, 2021, 04:35:47 PM »

Hello my brothers in all things Beach Boys, and thank you both for the replies. 

Well, the answer regarding the batteries being already installed is both what I feared, and what I "just knew" would be the case.

After reading your post myonlysunshine, I went (with much trepidation) and opened my set. All three of the batteries are leaking from both ends, and they're all "incased" in battery acid. The worst example of it I've ever seen. At the moment, I can't even remove them. It seems the best way forward would be to replace the battery holder altogether, but I can't figure out how it's mounted in there (hot glue?) and only want to use so much force with it as to not damage the 3D box lid.

I don't make a lot of money, and had to save up to get this version of the set, so I'm really bummed out. What were they thinking selling a collectors box set like this with the batteries already installed? I thought it was common knowledge that collectors like to keep things like this sealed, and will usually buy another copy to open and listen to. You're right about those "battery installation" instructions too. They make it sound like YOU have to install them.

Sigh..... Sad

It seems like the idea was possibly put together by someone with not much experience in putting out box sets - but it's because of that, that we get a 3D box with lights in it (for $700 Razz). I've not seen that from any band before, and I don't think anyone's tried it since.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx