gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:12:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: All things TSS packaging, presentation and booklet etc  (Read 118584 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2015, 12:10:52 PM »

I have nothing to add to this particular discussion except that I agree, the box set is well put together and the booklet is a treat. My Only criticism is that VDP didn't get an essay into the book. That is a glaring and inexcusable omission.
Wasn't that by his own doing? I think he has stated that he was finished with Smile with Brian's release.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2015, 12:28:26 PM »

I have nothing to add to this particular discussion except that I agree, the box set is well put together and the booklet is a treat. My Only criticism is that VDP didn't get an essay into the book. That is a glaring and inexcusable omission.

Van Dyke chose not to participate in the preparation of the box. I'm sure they would have been delighted to run an essay -- a haiku, anything -- from the man.

He and Brian had a nasty falling out sometime between TLOS and TSS. He's been positively acerbic about BW for the last several years.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 12:29:38 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2015, 12:53:52 PM »

It really is inexcusable.  It doesn't put Van in a good light with fans who were looking forward to his recollections in the booklet.  I don't think he would have that around 2004, when he actually attended Brian's Smile show in London.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2015, 04:48:29 PM »

Wasn't Van Dyke not on great terms with Team Brian at the time? Either way, if it was on his part of their part, you would hope they could set that aside for something like this.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2015, 06:02:35 PM »

Wasn't that by his own doing? I think he has stated that he was finished with Smile with Brian's release.

Is it really so hard to take an hour or two and write up a quick page in Word detailing your goals for the project, the general atmosphere of the sessions, why exactly you quit (and then came back and quit again), any particularly meaningful anecdotes you recall and maybe how your thoughts on it has changed over the years? Even if he subscribes to the ideology that BWPS is the finished thing and his work is done...it's just...well, why WOULDNT you want to include your say in the big release that's been almost 50 years in the making? Even if you don't want to, it'd just be the professional thing to do. This is such an important, mythical product I honestly cannot fathom how or why he would allow his very important insight to be excluded. It's like a filmmaker in this day and age not doing a commentary track for the bluray...but like...times a hundred.

Van Dyke chose not to participate in the preparation of the box. I'm sure they would have been delighted to run an essay -- a haiku, anything -- from the man.

He and Brian had a nasty falling out sometime between TLOS and TSS. He's been positively acerbic about BW for the last several years.

Really? Thats a damn shame Embarrassed Why so much bad blood between Brian and so many of his past friends/associates? And even so, no excuse for not writing a paragraph at least. Say what you will about Mike, at least he said what he felt about the project honestly and without pretension. VDP, as I see it, owed us at least some kinda reflection here. It was, depending on your interpretation, 25% ~ 50% his album. I know people get offended when fans act like celebrities owe them something. But this is a special case. A once-in-a-lifetime, legendary work of art, withheld from its fans until now, and Brian is mostly unwilling or unable to talk about it, at least in much depth. VDP is then, by default, the leading authority on the subject. He should state what he knows as honestly and completely as possible for the sake of historical preservation regardless of his feelings on Brian or SMiLE. Period.

It really is inexcusable.  It doesn't put Van in a good light with fans who were looking forward to his recollections in the booklet.  I don't think he would have that around 2004, when he actually attended Brian's Smile show in London.

We agree on something SMiLE related?? Shocked

Yeah, I can say for myself that I now think much less of him as a person. No need to make us fans and the historical record suffer over some petty feud.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 07:28:35 PM by Mujan, B@st@rd Son of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2015, 09:26:51 PM »

Yes, Van Dyke not contributing to the TSS booklet and the "Truck Drivin' Man" section being left out. I've reconciled with the later issue somewhat, understanding that the vocals were added to Cabinessence in 1968, a couple of years after the sessions were over. But still, it's a part of the final song coming together for release and it just sounds neat by itself before being mixed down into the track. I suppose these lyrics were written by Van in 1966 and originally intended for inclusion into the song then and then "found" and sung by Dennis in 1968. Or was the section recorded in '68 and Carl or somebody thought they would sound great in the background of Cabinessence? I'm thinking the former is true....

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2015, 09:35:54 PM »

Yes, Van Dyke not contributing to the TSS booklet and the "Truck Drivin' Man" section being left out. I've reconciled with the later issue somewhat, understanding that the vocals were added to Cabinessence in 1968, a couple of years after the sessions were over. But still, it's a part of the final song coming together for release and it just sounds neat by itself before being mixed down into the track. I suppose these lyrics were written by Van in 1966 and originally intended for inclusion into the song then and then "found" and sung by Dennis in 1968. Or was the section recorded in '68 and Carl or somebody thought they would sound great in the background of Cabinessence? I'm thinking the former is true....

Again, there's also the Reconnected Telephone lyrics no one seems to talk about. Unless I'm very wrong, both are vintage 1966, but for some reason one was used and the other scrapped. A real shame, because I think it'd be cool to have both. And yes, no excuse to leave TDM off the boxset. They cant even use the "but it wasnt recorded in 1966 or 1967" excuse since they included the Cool Cool Water sessions from late '67/early '68 and even freaking Three Blind Mice from 1965 which has NO SMiLE CONNECTION WHATSOEVER.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2015, 09:51:18 PM »

They cant even use the "but it wasnt recorded in 1966 or 1967" excuse since they included the Cool Cool Water sessions from late '67/early '68 and even freaking Three Blind Mice from 1965 which has NO SMiLE CONNECTION WHATSOEVER.

This is true - I just realized that. Cool Cool Water material from the Wild Honey sessions was included in addition to the 'Water chant' segment from '66. No reason not to include a small piece recorded in '68 (Cabinessence). 

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2015, 04:30:47 AM »

They cant even use the "but it wasnt recorded in 1966 or 1967" excuse since they included the Cool Cool Water sessions from late '67/early '68 and even freaking Three Blind Mice from 1965 which has NO SMiLE CONNECTION WHATSOEVER.

This is true - I just realized that. Cool Cool Water material from the Wild Honey sessions was included in addition to the 'Water chant' segment from '66. No reason not to include a small piece recorded in '68 (Cabinessence). 

Pretty much this. As much as we all love it, there's a lot of bad decisions they made for that box set.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2016, 05:57:30 PM »

Last Christmas I received the deluxe boxset and the two LPs had skips in them.  I returned it (couldn't do an exchange for some odd reason) and kinda forgot about it since I already downloaded the music from the CDs.  I got it again this Christmas and had the same issue.  Are there any other reports out there of this issue?  If anyone looks at this thread anymore lol.  I was able to do an exchange this time (but they're out of stock, so I have to wait).
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2016, 03:41:25 PM »

Last Christmas I received the deluxe boxset and the two LPs had skips in them.  I returned it (couldn't do an exchange for some odd reason) and kinda forgot about it since I already downloaded the music from the CDs.  I got it again this Christmas and had the same issue.  Are there any other reports out there of this issue?  If anyone looks at this thread anymore lol.  I was able to do an exchange this time (but they're out of stock, so I have to wait).

Got the reshipment... and the same issues are there.  I guess I'll have to contact Capitol since I have a feeling they're all like this.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2016, 06:58:33 AM »

Got the reshipment... and the same issues are there.  I guess I'll have to contact Capitol since I have a feeling they're all like this.

Can you tell us where the two skips are? Cause I have the LP and I don't notice any skips on them at all. Maybe it's a problem with your record player by any chance?

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
csparks
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2016, 02:10:45 PM »

It is with some trepidation that I make this admission, but I currently have no turntable. In 2009 we moved, and I gave my turntable, receiver, speakers and all my LPs to my daughter and her husband, as they are good kids that like LPs and good music. Due to the move, extremely laziness, etc, I still have no turntable. I've been content with my setup via the computer. Sounds good, easy, no clutter.
 The Smile Sessions LPs have been sitting in their sleeves since the release. My daughter lives in another state, and I've never (lazy) got around to trying to coordinate any re-recording.

Other than a few stereo mixes, just how much have I been missing out on? Is it just the stereo mixes, etc on LP 2, side 2?
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2016, 07:17:54 PM »

Other than a few stereo mixes, just how much have I been missing out on? Is it just the stereo mixes, etc on LP 2, side 2?
Just the stereo mixes.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2018, 06:22:01 PM »

That's weird? I can see them. I'll have to upload again after work.

I can see them too. The light up box looks fantastic! Almost makes me wish I splurged on it instead of the regular box.

Just want to say that 6 years after making the above comment, I went ahead and splurged on the light-up edition of the box. Here are some photos of mine:

I was shocked to discover that these are still available via The Beach Boys official website. If anyone here is on the fence about buying this version of the box set let me say that I don't regret my decision at all. Yes it costs more than a pretty penny, but as sidewinder stated the box is just so freaking cool and having Brian's autograph on it is just amazing. It's also an excellent collector's piece. According to Perry Cox's new "Price and Reference Guide for The Beach Boys American Records" book only 50 of these light-up editions were produced, but less were sold (fortunately for me Grin).
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2018, 06:31:45 PM »

That’s awesome!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2018, 07:14:40 PM »

Nice!

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 07, 2018, 02:35:59 PM »

It really is inexcusable.  It doesn't put Van in a good light with fans who were looking forward to his recollections in the booklet.  I don't think he would have that around 2004, when he actually attended Brian's Smile show in London.

I don't think people understand the context of Van's not writing anything for the booklet.  My understanding is that Capitol was negotiating the rights to Frank's artwork, and were offering an insultingly low amount, which he refused - and there was talk of not using the original artwork at all!! Van was appalled at this and was justifiably angry at Capitol and I suppose by extension Brian's team for not standing up for Frank.  This is how Van ended up not writing anything for the box.  By the time the art payment issues were worked out it was either too late or Van was no longer interested in writing something for the project.

Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2020, 06:01:12 PM »

The poster shoulda been the Teen Set ad.

"Connect, Always Connect..." - Arthur Koestler

"No discovery has ever been made by logical deduction..." - Arthur Koestler
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2020, 03:53:49 AM »

Can the lightup box be bought anywhere in 2020?
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 30, 2020, 11:08:30 AM »

I don’t believe so – if memory serves, thebeachboys.com's store finally removed their listing for the Light Up sets sometime in very late 2018.

I saw one for sale on Discogs earlier this year, but that particular listing seems to have been removed (it couldn't have sold because it would be listed within the “last sold” category on the Light Up Edition’s Discogs page if it did). That was the only one I’ve seen come up for sale in the past few years. They haven’t popped up on eBay either. I’m curious how much one might sell for now that they’re not readily available for purchase anymore.
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2020, 12:56:41 AM »

I don’t believe so – if memory serves, thebeachboys.com's store finally removed their listing for the Light Up sets sometime in very late 2018.

I saw one for sale on Discogs earlier this year, but that particular listing seems to have been removed (it couldn't have sold because it would be listed within the “last sold” category on the Light Up Edition’s Discogs page if it did). That was the only one I’ve seen come up for sale in the past few years. They haven’t popped up on eBay either. I’m curious how much one might sell for now that they’re not readily available for purchase anymore.

It’s funny you should say that, there are things I’ve bought on discogs that don’t appear on the “last sold” box, so it’s one of many things broken on that site

Anyway, I’m looking for a light up box if anyone’s selling :-)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 12:58:44 AM by UEF » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2020, 09:49:47 AM »

It’s funny you should say that, there are things I’ve bought on discogs that don’t appear on the “last sold” box, so it’s one of many things broken on that site

Anyway, I’m looking for a light up box if anyone’s selling :-)

You are likely looking for a vintage version, but I swear I remember someone actually making their own light up box many years ago (using the currently available 3D box) to save some money. Given how small they make LEDs and battery packs these days I don't think it would be too hard to pull this off...that is, if you're just wanting one as a display piece and not as a vintage collectable.

I checked on a couple sites and couldn't find anything, but I hope one pops up for you!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2020, 07:42:04 AM »

You are likely looking for a vintage version, but I swear I remember someone actually making their own light up box many years ago (using the currently available 3D box) to save some money. Given how small they make LEDs and battery packs these days I don't think it would be too hard to pull this off...that is, if you're just wanting one as a display piece and not as a vintage collectable.

I checked on a couple sites and couldn't find anything, but I hope one pops up for you!

Thanks Rab. Hopefully someone might see my post and get in touch.
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2021, 12:31:09 PM »

I posted this on Discogs a few years ago, but I’m going to post it here too in case any other Light Up Edition owners read this thread: In Perry Cox's 2017 “Price & Reference Guide for The Beach Boys American Records" book, he stated that only 50 Light Up Editions were made and that they were unnumbered, but this isn't true – the Light Up sets are numbered and more than 50 of them were made. Their numbers are listed on the inside of their lids, near the bottom-righthand corner. So you cannot determine which number box you have unless you open it.

According to Perry, the 50 count that he included in his book actually came from Brian's camp early on during the bookmaking process. Perry is now aware of this inaccuracy and he plans on correcting it in future printings of his book. But, it still isn’t clear exactly how many Light Up Editions were produced in total. My own Light Up box is number 71, which proves that more than 50 were made. A few years ago I saw a picture of someone else’s Light Up box – number 102. This means that more than 100 were made. I have also seen (and read about) a few Light Up boxes that have numbers higher than 150 (but lower than 200). 

I suspect that either 200 or 250 Light Up sets were made in total, although the latter number is just an educated guess based upon some unverifiable info I came across. Does anyone here who has opened up their Light Up box have a number higher than 200? Or have a source that can confirm for certain exactly how many were made?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx