gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:18:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: All things TSS packaging, presentation and booklet etc  (Read 118588 times)
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2012, 08:24:07 PM »

I for one am a big fan of the supplemental chart from a couple pages back, comparing the box set vinyl and CD incarnations.  That shows us the provenance of EVERY track, LP, 45, and CD, and even the 2011 Record Store Day 78's!  A really useful engine, as they say!!!

Copied it from here and keep it with my box set - AND SO SHOULD ALL OF YOU!!

« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 07:32:28 PM by Dr. Tim » Logged

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
beatlebren66
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2012, 05:50:00 PM »

I have the box, so I don't have the button. Could someone please post a pic of the button ? I wasn't able to find a photo of it online. Thanks
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2012, 05:35:46 AM »

I have the box, so I don't have the button. Could someone please post a pic of the button ? I wasn't able to find a photo of it online. Thanks

Just to hold you over, the button is about 1 inch in diameter with "SMiLE" (same font and color as on album cover) over white. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
beatlebren66
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2012, 02:06:08 PM »

Two more questions....

1) Was the vinyl LP in the box supposed to be shrink wrapped ?

2) Mark Linett mentioned in his Icon Fetch interview that there is a extra fan made sessionography online for cd 1. Does anyone know where I can download that ?

Thanks

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2012, 10:39:50 AM »

My vinyl wasn't wrapped, only the cd's. I bought the 2 cd edition and the boxset just to make sure i got everything. To those curious as to the SMiLE button (or badge), surely if u can afford the big old stinkin' boxset then you can shell out a tenner for the 2-cd edition on top? Come on people, let's get those sales figures up!!!
Paulos
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2012, 02:27:56 PM »

The packaging for the box set is the best I have ever seen, it just looks brilliant. Then you open it up and find the CD/45 book with original press clippings and master tape reproductions, the book with great photos, anecdotes and Craig's lovingly done sessionography, then the photo booklet, then the 2LPs which just feel right in your hands and then you find the SMiLE poster too! I don't mind admitting that I actually hugged my box set when I first got it!
sidewinder572
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2012, 04:53:01 AM »

I just received my replacement for my light-up set and all I can say is WOW!!! this is so cool. Here are a few pics

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2012, 07:52:00 AM »

The packaging for the box set is the best I have ever seen, it just looks brilliant. Then you open it up and find the CD/45 book with original press clippings and master tape reproductions, the book with great photos, anecdotes and Craig's lovingly done sessionography, then the photo booklet, then the 2LPs which just feel right in your hands and then you find the SMiLE poster too! I don't mind admitting that I actually hugged my box set when I first got it!

who didn't?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2012, 07:52:29 AM »

I just received my replacement for my light-up set and all I can say is WOW!!! this is so cool. Here are a few pics

Where?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
sidewinder572
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2012, 11:28:09 AM »

Where?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2012, 11:49:00 AM »

Where?
where are the pics? I don't see any.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

sidewinder572
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2012, 11:55:41 AM »

That's weird? I can see them. I'll have to upload again after work.
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2012, 12:03:35 PM »

That's weird? I can see them. I'll have to upload again after work.

I can see them too. The light up box looks fantastic! Almost makes me wish I splurged on it instead of the regular box.
rattfink
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2013, 07:22:15 AM »

I realize this reply is about two years late, but it still bothers me... I think that the folder that the five cds are housed in is a really poor design. While it certainly looks cool, three of the five cds had digital clicking on the last track (disc  four actually had clicking on the last five tracks!). In short, I spent $140 to get a damaged product! I was able to make de-clicked copies luckily, but I wish it didn't come to that! My theory is that the cds rub/scrape on the backing. Looks good, wrecks the cds. Not cool...
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2013, 10:18:10 AM »

I realize this reply is about two years late, but it still bothers me... I think that the folder that the five cds are housed in is a really poor design. While it certainly looks cool, three of the five cds had digital clicking on the last track (disc  four actually had clicking on the last five tracks!). In short, I spent $140 to get a damaged product! I was able to make de-clicked copies luckily, but I wish it didn't come to that! My theory is that the cds rub/scrape on the backing. Looks good, wrecks the cds. Not cool...

Same thing happened with mine.  I was pretty disappointed.  And I had the same problem with MIC, out of the wrapper.  The discs arrived out of the cardboard sleeve.
rattfink
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2013, 11:03:33 AM »

I decided to email Capitol. There email is writeus@hollywoodandvine.com if any one else has complaints that they would like to share.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2013, 12:05:00 AM »

Am I the only one who got the small version of the box set and not the full one because I couldn't afford it?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2013, 09:03:17 PM »

Two more questions....

1) Was the vinyl LP in the box supposed to be shrink wrapped ?

2) Mark Linett mentioned in his Icon Fetch interview that there is a extra fan made sessionography online for cd 1. Does anyone know where I can download that ?

Thanks

Having just got into podcasts, I'd heard Mark say that too. Anyone know where that sessionography is online?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2014, 05:38:18 PM »

When I read the booklet the question always remains, "What's going on here? What's SMiLE really about?"

The essays sort of echo each other in not being able to really nail this question down.

"Connect, Always Connect..." - Arthur Koestler

"No discovery has ever been made by logical deduction..." - Arthur Koestler
stikchikk
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2014, 03:07:37 AM »

I only just realized that there is a mini box set as well as a full box set. Now I want the full box set!!!
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

Male eagle walking down the street....

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2014, 02:28:42 AM »

Just got the Deluxe Box today. The 3d cover looks awesome! The sessionography is quite interesting to read. Now to listen to all 5 cds.
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

Male eagle walking down the street....

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2014, 07:01:06 PM »

I also posted this in the main TSS Box thread, but a nice detail to add here too:

Chris Bellman, who did the vinyl mastering, wrote the following little messages in the dead wax at the end of each LP side:
side 1: "Dumb Angel"
side 2: "For Carl & Dennis"
side 3: "Look, listen, vibrate"
side 4: "For Chuck and Larry"  (Chuck Britz and Larry Levine)

No messages on the 45's, though.  Correction: Dan Lega reports there are.  Huh!

The Heroes and Villains 45 has "At 2 Score" written on Part 1 and "and 5" on Part 2.
TonyACT
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2014, 08:20:43 PM »

Am I the only one who got the small version of the box set and not the full one because I couldn't afford it?

I doubt it - same here.

Nice little box it is too - and we get a button which the big box apparently didn't Smiley
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2014, 12:28:08 AM »

I doubt it - same here.

Nice little box it is too - and we get a button which the big box apparently didn't Smiley
I actually bought the little one second, it was back when I had less bills and lived with my parents...I also wanted it because disc 2 (while having the same tracks as the big box set) had a different track line up than disc 2 of the big boxset.

Oh when I actually had money to by minuscule different items! That'll never happen again! 😬

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2015, 11:54:08 AM »

I have nothing to add to this particular discussion except that I agree, the box set is well put together and the booklet is a treat. My Only criticism is that VDP didn't get an essay into the book. That is a glaring and inexcusable omission.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx