gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:19:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A bitch about the bitchers.  (Read 13954 times)
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2011, 05:00:55 AM »

On another thread someone pointed out on Cabinessence there is a bit of noise at 1.01 and
 that it wasn't good enough for Boyd and Linett to let some thing like that get on the box set.
While there IS  a bit of static that is BARELY audible ,If someone hadn't have mentioned it I
would never have noticed it.
Pedantic beyond comprehension!

"I loaned you money when the funds weren't too cool"

"The ocean scares me."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1976
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2011, 05:10:47 AM »

Where were all these people in 1970 when the Beach Boys dared release the "Cotton Fields" single with all those glitches in the second chorus?

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2011, 05:12:03 AM »

Maybe this would have gone better if monicker had just brought up the issues, asked a question and waited for a reply from Mark and/or Alan (since they do read and post here) before going on a diatribe and literally pitching a bitch and writing a paper, etc, etc, etc.. There is a serious lack of respect and decorum here. Give the guys a chance to respond. Shoot, it's only been officially released for one day, and only hours here in the U.S.. Patience.

Sounds like you're saying the 2CD set doesn't matter and that the public won't know better.

No, I'm saying that Joe Q. Public, his wife, family, girlfriend and dog almost certainly won't notice anything amiss... 'cause they're listening to the music, not the engineering and processing.  Smiley

Best answer for everyone might be if Someone Who Knows Someone Who Should Know asks him/her/them what they know! Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2011, 05:13:20 AM »

Where were all these people in 1970 when the Beach Boys dared release the "Cotton Fields" single with all those glitches in the second chorus?

That's pre-internet. Everything was in black and white (or sepia) back then, and doesn't count.

AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2011, 05:22:33 AM »

Sounds like you're saying the 2CD set doesn't matter and that the public won't know better.

No, I'm saying that Joe Q. Public, his wife, family, girlfriend and dog almost certainly won't notice anything amiss... 'cause they're listening to the music, not the engineering and processing.  Smiley

Sorry mate - that's a bit patronizing to Joe Public, as a listening experience the engineering/processing is a fundamental element of helping make the actual listening an all encompassing experience, hence comparing a bootleg to an officially released item in this instance

you cant be so dismissive of what good engineering and processing brings to the table - by listening to the music your also listening to the skills in the engineering and producing of that music too, as well as the performance instrumentation and writing of the music. its a complete package all together, poor engineering/editing/producing/performing/arranging/instrumentation can totally pull back some release's from being spectacular listening experiences to ok or even poor ones.

I'll be honest - i aboslutly LOVE and enjoy whats come out and am very thankful it has done, it is though a bit of a shame to hear all this fantastic music and enormous effort in bringin this out with a few 'noticeable glitches' protool cross-fade pops - i take your point theres not many there, but i have to agree there's enough to get irritated by them which is a shame, it interrupts the listening experience with the music a little which is a shame - either way it's a great effort but a shame this hadn't been spotted and nip n ticked before

its a vaild point - great effort, theres some sound glitch's but DESPITE these smatterings encountered the music and production in getting these out is incredible, just a shame the pops n glitch's (however few there are) unnecessarily bring it back that tiny bit

peace and love
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2011, 05:30:57 AM »

There's this one album, the name is fleeting me right now, but there is talking and hissing peppered throughout the entire album. I can't believe they released it like they did. Oh yeah, it was called Pet Sounds.

Relatively speaking we are incredibly lucky to be hearing this set. We have room to criticize, obviously, but I wish some people would put a few hisses and pops in perspective.

***** turn on CBS right now!!!!!!! *******

^false alarm, stupid promo. But the SMiLE segment is coming up soon!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 05:33:30 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2011, 05:32:08 AM »

I don't really think Joe Public will be able to enjoy IIGS - Barnyard - CIFOTM. As much as I love mono (it really was necessary for all the Beatles albums), I don't think it's the best way to release an album aimed at Joe Public. Of course it sounds great to us, because all we had before sounded worse. I have a friend who loves music, it's been years since I talk to her about how great SMiLE is and now she's bought it, I really think she'll be disappointed, because Child does sound kida bad, lots of distortion sounds on the second chorus. I got over it because of the beautiful new vocal line, but again, Joe Public doesn't know that this part has just been found and will concentrate on the audio quality of the song. Though I assume that if Mark & Alan put it on the set it's because there was noting better that could be done and they've done an outstanding job and I thank them for that. But Joe Public doens't know that he'll expect an album that sounds like a 1967 album should sound. But, what the hey, my box arrives on Friday and I can't wait.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 05:38:15 AM by Bleachboy » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2011, 05:39:53 AM »

There's this one album, the name is fleeting me right now, but there is talking and hissing peppered throughout the entire album. I can't believe they released it like they did. Oh yeah, it was called Pet Sounds.

Relatively speaking we are incredibly lucky to be hearing this set. We have room to criticize, obviously, but I wish some people would put a few hisses and pops in perspective.

FFS, it's 2011, not 1966, and this project has been in the works for a decade or two, it hasn't been rushed out like PS was.

Do you get your milk unpasteurised? Would it be okay if you did? Will you be scratching your CDs tonight for added authenticity?  Thought not…

The science has moved on.

Unfortunately my box set hasn't… maybe my tone will change when it lands…

Harrumph!

AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2011, 05:42:54 AM »

***** turn on CBS right now!!!!!!! *******

^false alarm, stupid promo. But the SMiLE segment is coming up soon!

wasnt the first mix of pet sounds rejected due to its quality of mix, it was done again and was released as is?
anyhow - its a dif point, that wasa finished album, the technical glitchs mentioned here aint the same type as talking etc you mention on pet sounds

getting abit extreme in views on here for both sides i think
anyone saying TSS sounds bad or unlistenable due to glitches needs their heads testing, it sounds Amazing!!
however i'll qualify that by adding, had the glitches been removed/reduced with no impairment to the sound - then it'd been faultless sonically considering its an unfinished album - great production, but some glitches have slipped through unexpectedly
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2011, 05:47:53 AM »

I'm happy to have anything officially release let alone a jam packed box set. Be grateful we have anything at all.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2011, 06:03:51 AM »

I'm merely saying that had we just been handed the music (without knowing how much time was put into what - who mixed what, etc) we'd probably bitch more about Pet Sounds than the new SMiLE mix.

But because we're 'in the know' we get a ticket to bitch about it. I'm in full agreement that we have the right to criticize, however put these critiques into perspective; it is still an amazing acheivement.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2011, 06:33:46 AM »

I'm in full agreement that we have the right to criticize, however put these critiques into perspective; it is still an amazing acheivement.

No dispute. Wish I could buy those fellas a pint and say "thanks thanks thanks…!"

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2011, 06:46:16 AM »

Agreed that we should be VERY thankful for this release. A lot of work went into it.
Also agreed that criticisms are allowed. It's a product for sale, we're spending money on it, and the BBs are going to make money from it. We as consumers have a right to say what we like and dislike about it.
Let's all remember that this is the Beach Boys. So if you don't like this version, another one will be along in short order, and it'll be SLIGHTLY different. Diehards who already have 1000000000 versions of Pet Sounds will buy Smile Sessions 2.0 and find a whole new slew of things wrong with it.  Cheesy
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2011, 06:55:33 AM »

Now eat your broccoli.  Old Man

Do we now know the identity of Andrew's favorite vege-table? An historic day, indeed.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2011, 07:05:29 AM »

I just posted this on the Barnyard thread, but it really belongs here:

Any serious listening should be done with a pair of good quality studio headphones.

But I don't enjoy listening to music through headphones.  I listen to music through my big, old Marantz speakers.  And I'm not deaf.  I listened closely and I could barely notice some (but not even close to all...I gave up) of the things that you pointed out as flaws.  And that was with the volume at a higher level than I ever listen to music.  I'm not going to tell you how you should listen to music.  You do your thing, but don't try to tell me how to enjoy listening to music.  I'm sorry that you can not enjoy this disc because of all the hiss, snap, crackle, and pop.  Seriously.  I think it's sublime.  This incredible music has never sounded better...to me.  And that's all that matters...to me.

Oh, and for those that are now worried about this release because of the perceived flaws pointed out by some folks here, I say again...listen for yourselves.  I mean listen to the music.  It really is beautiful.  As you can see by some of the responses here, there are people who either don't notice any flaws, or think them to be so minor that they don't care.  Enjoy.....or not.  Your choice.

P.S.  And I'm not bitching about the bitchers...everyone is going to have an opinion.  I'm just sayin' that it appears to me that there are more folks who don't hear (or don't care about) any flaws, than there are folks who do.  Not that it matters.    

« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 07:17:28 AM by LostArt » Logged
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2011, 07:12:21 AM »

I'll direct my bitching at Amazon for now. I ordered the box set fairly early, and it's due for delivery around 11/4. Not fair!  They always do this to me.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2011, 07:22:59 AM »

I'll direct my bitching at Amazon for now. I ordered the box set fairly early, and it's due for delivery around 11/4. Not fair!  They always do this to me.

what delivery did you choose.  I ordered mine a couple months after it showed up but i chose 2 day/same day delivery and it arrives today.  I've never had a problem with them
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2011, 07:40:26 AM »

Sorry mate - that's a bit patronizing to Joe Public, as a listening experience the engineering/processing is a fundamental element of helping make the actual listening an all encompassing experience, hence comparing a bootleg to an officially released item in this instance

I don't disagree with you, but the issues being referred to here are largely ones of mastering, not mixing -- and spotty mastering is much trickier to hear than spotty mixing. So it's not totally unfair to say it won't tamper Joe Public's experience. Heck, I knew where to look and when I was listening, I didn't pay enough attention to notice.

Agreed that we should be VERY thankful for this release. A lot of work went into it.
Also agreed that criticisms are allowed. It's a product for sale, we're spending money on it, and the BBs are going to make money from it. We as consumers have a right to say what we like and dislike about it.

Yeah. The point isn't, "Don't criticize the box set." It's more like, "Keep it in perspective, and know when it's time for you to go outside for a little while."

I just posted this on the Barnyard thread, but it really belongs here:

Any serious listening should be done with a pair of good quality studio headphones.

But I don't enjoy listening to music through headphones.  I listen to music through my big, old Marantz speakers.  And I'm not deaf.  I listened closely and I could barely notice some (but not even close to all...I gave up) of the things that you pointed out as flaws.  And that was with the volume at a higher level than I ever listen to music.  I'm not going to tell you how you should listen to music.  You do your thing, but don't try to tell me how to enjoy listening to music.  I'm sorry that you can not enjoy this disc because of all the hiss, snap, crackle, and pop.  Seriously.  I think it's sublime.  This incredible music has never sounded better...to me.  And that's all that matters...to me.   

True that.

Who's hearing more: the person on professional studio headphones only irritated by pops, or the person emotionally resonating with it over laptop speakers?
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2011, 07:48:36 AM »

what delivery did you choose.  I ordered mine a couple months after it showed up but i chose 2 day/same day delivery and it arrives today.  I've never had a problem with them

I chose standard delivery, which was free with my (much more than) $25 purchase, so I guess I shouldn't complain. I guess they probably aren't allowed to ship until right before release day. Still, I was hoping to have it maybe on 11/2. Maybe it'll come earlier than their estimate.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2011, 08:06:02 AM »

I chose standard delivery, which was free with my (much more than) $25 purchase, so I guess I shouldn't complain. I guess they probably aren't allowed to ship until right before release day. Still, I was hoping to have it maybe on 11/2. Maybe it'll come earlier than their estimate.

I chose standard and mine is supposed to arrive on the 4th as well....normally Amazon is cautious when giving estimates - my orders normally arrive 2 days after being shipped (or 2-3 days before estimated arrival).

mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2011, 09:05:11 AM »

I didn't read all of this, but I'd just like to say that I'm so tired of hearing all this talk about the delicate sensibilities  of a theoretical construct known as "Joe Public". Either you get the music and like it or you don't, and a little distortion on a few tracks isn't going to make or break it. And this isn't going to catch on like wildfire with the Jimmy Buffett/Kokomo crowd, OK? You might as well disavail yourselves of that notion and be glad the set was aimed at presenting as complete and listenable a Smile as possible rather than, "What would Joe the Plumber think of this segment? It's a little less smooth... let's chuck it out". That kind of commercial anxiety was at least partly the reason why this music was never released in the first place.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 09:09:58 AM by mammy blue » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2011, 09:06:42 AM »

The SMiLE album has brought me pure joy, so i am not bitching. Smiley

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2011, 09:44:08 AM »

The SMiLE album has brought me pure joy, so i am not bitching. Smiley
Absolutely! SMiLE DAY is a NO BITCH Day.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2011, 10:00:19 AM »

Part of the problem, I think, is that this release doesn't have much in the way of new material. There's a few new vocal snippets and "Surf's Up" 1967, but other than that, almost all this material was already available in one way or another. Consequently, I've already heard it all a bazillion times.  That's why the little mistakes are so noticeable. I'm straining my ears to try and hear what's new.

I've even said several times that the mastering job on this album is superb. There's just weird mistakes you wouldn't expect on $100+ archival release, and there's nothing wrong with pointing that out. This is the Smiley Smile board, and we specialize in pedantry.

I get that Mark is your friend, so you want to defend him.  But this ain't Mark's blueboard.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2011, 10:05:14 AM »

Oh yeah, and one last thing... AGD: have you ever stopped to think how you make Jasper Dailey's family feel? That was his big shot and you've torn it to shreds.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx