gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:51:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A bitch about the bitchers.  (Read 13955 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« on: November 01, 2011, 12:08:35 AM »

I just cannot comprehend the mindset of people who call themselves fans, who like me have been waiting years, decades for this day, and who then ignore the towering majesty of the music in this release and bitch about almost irrelevant details. I'm not exactly Pollyanna where the history of the band is concerned, and yes, the box has its problems, but I'm celebrating what has happened without reservations, and also thanking my lucky stars that I'm not as ungrateful as some folk here evidently are. Friday, I was enjoying the early reports but now that glow wasn't faded, it's been tarnished by the petty-minded carpings of those who don't like it that the 'album' proper doesn't follow their chosen roadmap, or choose to listen to the signal and not the music. What is wrong with you people ?  Thankfully, you're far too small a group to have any impact, but imagine how Mark & Alan must feel reading your posts.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 12:21:35 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 12:10:38 AM »

Thanks dad.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 12:20:55 AM »

Thanks dad.

I love you son. Now eat your broccoli.  Old Man

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 12:34:48 AM »

Some things just shouldn't be let slide, like making the stereo mixes Vinyl exclusives..

Who's bright idea was that

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
theCOD
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 12:40:57 AM »

Some things just shouldn't be let slide, like making the stereo mixes Vinyl exclusives..

CRITICISM DETECTED police
MBE
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 12:42:59 AM »

That was brillant! Vinyl rules! It has always been an important (if overlooked for a time by the general public) medium for those who are deeply into music. Rightly it is still considered by many (who enjoy all different era's) to be a excellent format. Turntables are now plentiful and cheap. Vinyl is back and it's a grand thing. I am only 35 so this isn't really nostalgia for me. Yes I was the last generation to grow up with records but go to the mall now and you will see they are back. Pet Sounds on vinyl is in almost every music store and Smile will be too. People of all ages are going to like this RECORD.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 12:49:00 AM by Mike Eder » Logged
John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 12:55:37 AM »

I guess you can't really bitch in this thread and post in the 'Thanks for The SMiLE Sessions' thread too can you? I agree Andrew with your sentiments, I feel like you, maybe 'cause I've been waiting patiently for decades and appreciate what we now have. angel angel

"It's more blessed to give than receive"

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 01:12:19 AM »

I realize most of us want to bask in the afterglow of listening to the incredible music on this box set, and that's great.  Don't read the complaints or criticisms!  What, with the release of TSS the first amendment has been suspended in it's honor?  Let the bitching begin!

By the way I will be the absolutely last person on this board to actually hear the set, as I'm away on business and won't get home until Wednesday!
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 01:13:39 AM »

Well Andrew I for one loved it & praised the producers for it both here and on facebook via my "James Joyce" review least we forget lol. But isn't that the beauty of this board the fact that no one can please all the people all of the time?. Any bitchin' that goes on here is equally answered positively. And I'm sure Alan & Mark are mature enough to know this. I find it funny to see how narrow minded some people can be and also how lucky we all are to finally have Smile in the shops. Let the Bitchin' carry on but also let's all answer back in a mature way and give praise when praise is deserved Smiley.   
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 01:43:55 AM »

Curious to see the biggest stickler for accuracy and integrity bitching about those who point out errors and mistakes in such a landmark product!

If I was first to drive along a new motorway, and my car grounded on a pothole, I'd bitch.

If I won a night in bed with Rosie Huntington Whiteley and found all was not well in the garden shed, I'd bitch.

If I paid top dollar for a luxurious box set of the greatest music ever made, and found there were careless errors, I'd be heartbroken.

The packaging might be marvellous but it's the cornflakes within I want to digest and if a good number are inedible, darn right I'll let Kelloggs know.

I don't have the box set yet but, given the price tag, I think I'm entitled to expect near-perfection and I'm grateful to those who have drawn attention to perceived flaws so that I can make my mind up.

It might be that I don't hear it -  perhaps my system isn't as sensitive as theirs; perhaps my ears aren't as dog-like – but I respect their right to be disappointed in something that they perceive as not being up to the high standards they were led to expect.

“We live in divisive times.”
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 01:46:05 AM »

Curious to see the biggest stickler for accuracy and integrity bitching about those who point out errors and mistakes in such a landmark product!

:O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 01:59:36 AM »

Andrew, on the shows and sessions page for 1968 you have "8 - Dot it Again/Wake The World single released" instead of "8 - Do it Again/Wake The World single released"

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 02:00:35 AM »

Andrew, on the shows and sessions page for 1968 you have "8 - Dot it Again/Wake The World single released" instead of "8 - Do it Again/Wake The World single released"

Ta muchly. Will be fixed.

Not exactly - my bitch is that these people are focussing almost exclusively on those errors.

I don't have the box set yet but, given the price tag, I think I'm entitled to expect near-perfection and I'm grateful to those who have drawn attention to perceived flaws so that I can make my mind up.

It is near perfection - I'm guessing that if you added up all the glitches and assumed errors, they'd totaL maybe 60 seconds, tops, out of some 24,000.

0.0025%, if you prefer.  Grin
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 02:05:46 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 02:04:57 AM »

"Dot It Again" >>>>>>>>> "Do It Again"

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 02:43:41 AM »

Here's my bitch about the bitchers bitching about bitchers.

So we shouldn't pay attention to these "errors" because they might hurt Mark & Alan's feelings? Well, it could be argued that they should have paid attention to these "errors" because they might hurt us, the customers. Now, I don't know what led to these "errors". I'm not even sure we should refer to these noises as "errors", because they might have been unavoidable (except the speed mistake in the stereo H&V obviously). Until we get an explanation, I won't call them "errors". I want to mention that I'm not talking about the editing of the sections (that's more a matter of taste than a "technical" matter), I'm only talking about noises and speed errors.

The Smile Sessions contain yet-unheard tracks and known tracks in better quality, so for these things alone I'm glad to pay the price. But let's not forget that YOU, AGD, among other people, kept reminding us that the Smile Sessions would make us forget about all our bootlegs, mainly because of the sound quality. Because of this, some people were understandably waiting for a perfect-sounding product - perfect it is not. Hence the bitching.

You, AGD, might not be annoyed by these noises as you might not hear them; over the years, I've learnt not to trust your ears. But that's another issue. The fact is that some people, myself included, can hear them without even trying. "But it's only 0.0025%!" you might say. No it isn't. The reported errors are all on the 2-CD set, you know, the one the general public is going to buy, and the only one some of us will unfortunately be able to afford. Besides, the noises are on important tracks. I'll hopefully be able to correct the high-pitched noise in Dada, but I won't be able to erase the noise in the only mono version of Cabinessence we have.

So, just to be clear, I love the Smile Sessions, I love the music, I haven't really commented on it yet because I only have the 2-CD set and I'm waiting for my boxset to arrive (which could make it look like I'm focussing almost exclusively on those errors), so props to Mark & Alan for this work, but it appears there are some disturbing noises that - according to some posters who know this stuff better than I do - could have been fixed, and we have the RIGHT to bitch about them on this board.

I don't need your patronizing.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 02:45:43 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 03:03:06 AM »

The reported errors are all on the 2-CD set, you know, the one the general public is going to buy, and the only one some of us will unfortunately be able to afford. Besides, the noises are on important tracks. I'll hopefully be able to correct the high-pitched noise in Dada, but I won't be able to erase the noise in the only mono version of Cabinessence we have.

OK, then let's wait for the deluge of complaints to Capitol and amazon from Joe Q. Public and the massed returns to local retailers. I'm sure it'll be a thread on the Hoff board - who knows, might even make USA Today.  We'll see. Grin

My point is not to ignore the alleged errors, but rather to have presented them in context, and less unfavourably. Say "thanks" first, then "however, this bothers me...". Simple good manners (yes, I know you probably have the opinion that good manners and I are complete strangers: I read about them in a book).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 03:07:18 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The_Holy_Bee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 03:04:14 AM »

I'd go further and suggest that a thread called "a bitch about the bitchers" is not only likely to, but inevitably going to, turn into "a bitch about the bitchers bitching about bitchers" and then a "bitch about the bitchers bitching about the bitchers' bitching by the bitchers" and so on...

The big - and understandable - call from AGD and others is fundamentally "let's not sweat the small stuff". I can't see (the net being what it is) a thread like this leading to that result.

There's already a thread dedicated to discussing the alleged and apparent flaws in the 2-disc set, and a whole board devoted to discussing and praising that work. I can see no problem with either. I know I'm just a newbie here as a poster, but I've been reading for years, so I'm sorry if I'm stepping out of line. But a little respect either way is a useful thing in any society; and a society, in its strange little way, this definitely is.

This release - this week, this month - should be a time for both celebration and the heated debate that inevitably comes from people discussing the things they love. Can't we do both and avoid losing the issue in an endless string of call-outs, responses and... er... posts like this?

... and then we'll have world peace.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 03:09:03 AM »

The reported errors are all on the 2-CD set, you know, the one the general public is going to buy, and the only one some of us will unfortunately be able to afford. Besides, the noises are on important tracks. I'll hopefully be able to correct the high-pitched noise in Dada, but I won't be able to erase the noise in the only mono version of Cabinessence we have.

OK, then let's wait for the deluge of complaints to Capitol and amazon from Joe Q. Public and the massed returns to local retailers. I'm sure it'll be a thread on the Hoff board - who knows, might even make USA TodayGrin

Way to ignore the rest of my points. Shame on me for actually expecting something other than one of your lame "sarcastic" replies - I should have known better.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 03:11:43 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 03:11:51 AM »

OK, then let's wait for the deluge of complaints to Capitol and amazon from Joe Q. Public and the massed returns to local retailers. I'm sure it'll be a thread on the Hoff board - who knows, might even make USA TodayGrin

Way to ignore the rest of my points. Shame on me for actually expecting something other than one of your lame "sarcastic" replys - I should have known better.  Roll Eyes

He knows me too well.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 03:16:40 AM »

I wonder if Mark will address the issues here on this board? I've seen him post at Hoffman, even answering my post regarding YSBIM on Pet Sounds. I'm kind of surprised that he hasn't popped up here, but then again maybe not...

I thank my lucky stars that I am not inflicted/afflicted wiith great hearing. I have not heard these sound issues that have been brought up, only the iTunes blips. Honestly, I expected there to be some sound issues, as not everything used would be in pristine condition.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 03:20:52 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 03:32:37 AM »

'Say Thanks first'?

I paid them top dollar, which should say enough. I'm eternally grateful for the work Brian, the boys, the writers who kept the dream alive and all the engineers, producers and managers who made this boxset possible. But even people that did amazing work can make mistakes, and even big mistakes. Taste should be left out of this, but for instance sending a wrong master to the pressing plant is a mistake. Not saying that this is the case...but where are those backing vocals in Barnyard!!!!

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 03:36:48 AM »

'Say Thanks first'?

I paid them top dollar, which should say enough. I'm eternally grateful for the work Brian, the boys, the writers who kept the dream alive and all the engineers, producers and managers who made this boxset possible. But even people that did amazing work can make mistakes, and even big mistakes. Taste should be left out of this, but for instance sending a wrong master to the pressing plant is a mistake. Not saying that this is the case...but where are those backing vocals in Barnyard!!!!

Working on the "Barnyard" item: I'm guessing the review streams didn't use the production masters. BTW, I should point out that my comments re: the errors are based on hearing the 5CD version, not the 2CD set although, given the exact same tapes and masters have been used, that shouldn't make any difference to anything.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2011, 03:54:37 AM »

OK, then let's wait for the deluge of complaints to Capitol and amazon from Joe Q. Public and the massed returns to local retailers. I'm sure it'll be a thread on the Hoff board - who knows, might even make USA Today.  We'll see. Grin

My point is not to ignore the alleged errors, but rather to have presented them in context, and less unfavourably. Say "thanks" first, then "however, this bothers me...". Simple good manners (yes, I know you probably have the opinion that good manners and I are complete strangers: I read about them in a book).

Sounds like you're saying the 2CD set doesn't matter and that the public won't know better.

I agree that thanks are due… this is an unprecedented event in BBs and rock/pop history and all praise and glory to those who have brought it about.

But it reminds me of the cartoon about the British couple in a restaurant, muttering under their breath about some problem with their meal. Of course, when the waiter comes to ask if everything is okay, they reply, "Oh yes, lovely, thank you very much."

Now, where IS that box… harrumph!

“We live in divisive times.”
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2011, 04:07:37 AM »

Maybe this would have gone better if monicker had just brought up the issues, asked a question and waited for a reply from Mark and/or Alan (since they do read and post here) before going on a diatribe and literally pitching a bitch and writing a paper, etc, etc, etc.. There is a serious lack of respect and decorum here. Give the guys a chance to respond. Shoot, it's only been officially released for one day, and only hours here in the U.S.. Patience.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2011, 04:11:25 AM »

Sounds like you're saying the 2CD set doesn't matter and that the public won't know better.

No, I'm saying that Joe Q. Public, his wife, family, girlfriend and dog almost certainly won't notice anything amiss... 'cause they're listening to the music, not the engineering and processing.  Smiley

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx