gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 06:51:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The "All This Is That" Appreciation Thread  (Read 5723 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 04:50:19 AM »

Proof that Carl/Mike/Al were capable of true art.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2011, 11:01:01 PM »

A recording exists of the boys sans Mike rehearsing this and other gems for the 1993 Fall tour. Superb.

Yes indeed!  That's a great set.
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2011, 10:52:39 AM »

"All This is That" is all that.  This.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2011, 02:32:10 PM »

OK, upon listening to the song about a hundred and fifty times with headphones, I'm pretty sure it's Mike on the first verse ("life supporting waves of bliss") and then Al on the second ("Golden auras glow around you")! Both guys sound so calm and lovely I"ll bet even oldsurferdude wants to give Myke a hug when listening to this one!

You're right, Erik...that is the arrangement on the live recording I have from 1993 in New York. 
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2011, 02:06:42 PM »

"All this Is that" and "Marcella" are the only beautiful songs on that whole album. Smiley
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2011, 02:29:03 PM »

I'd count He Come Down and Cuddle Up as certainly beautiful!
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2011, 04:48:12 PM »

sounds to me like Al on both those verses.

great song
Will C.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2011, 05:11:01 PM »

A recording exists of the boys sans Mike rehearsing this and other gems for the 1993 Fall tour. Superb.

I'd really like to see this.  Does anybody know where it could be found?

I have to agree wholeheartedly with all of the "All This Is That" praise.  Amazing song.  My favorite thing said in this entire thread has to be this excellent statement from Ron.

Yeah.  The whole song is great, then Carl just goes Super Nova on us and sounds like Jesus Christ or something.  Or Budda I guess since it's got the eastern chants going on. 

Too true.  The Je guru dev extended ending is amazing.  The track fades away until we're left with Carl's soul on tape.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2011, 06:19:40 PM »

sounds to me like Al on both those verses.

great song

I used to think so too, but I'm pretty sure now it's Mike on the second verse!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2011, 07:56:53 PM »

Erik, have you seen the live clips in my first post?  It's interesting to note that in the 1994 video, Mike takes the first verse and Al takes the second verse but then in the 1978 clip, both guys take both verses together!  It's a mixed message, for sure, but my own take is that I"m going with how they sang it in 1994 to represent how they did it on the original track.  I think they began to stuck with original arrangements in their later years and didn't bother straying away from the original tracks in the spirit of being "adventurous."  My take on it, at least.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2011, 08:39:08 PM »

I'd count He Come Down and Cuddle Up as certainly beautiful!

but they aren't as beautiful .. they are simply mediocre at best.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2011, 09:59:45 PM »

I have to agree wholeheartedly with all of the "All This Is That" praise.  Amazing song.  My favorite thing said in this entire thread has to be this excellent statement from Ron.

Yeah.  The whole song is great, then Carl just goes Super Nova on us and sounds like Jesus Christ or something.  Or Budda I guess since it's got the eastern chants going on. 

Too true.  The Je guru dev extended ending is amazing.  The track fades away until we're left with Carl's soul on tape.

I don't know what the music theory involved would be... but it's so beautiful, he keeps going and going too.  It starts at the root note and does this beautiful little melody, then he does it again... like you said it's like he's singing above himself, it's soulful like you can't teach.  The only reason he sounded like that was because he really was a pretty gentle soul, so at the end of the song you can really feel his ... gentle soul!  So natural and beautiful, the Beach Boys at their best were natural, and beautiful.  Really makes you miss Carl, too, especially when we're talking about it late at night, it's 1a.m. here while I'm thinking about this.  I'm sure Carl's off somewhere beautiful and soulful waiting for the rest of us! 
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2011, 10:43:38 PM »

Erik, have you seen the live clips in my first post?  It's interesting to note that in the 1994 video, Mike takes the first verse and Al takes the second verse but then in the 1978 clip, both guys take both verses together!  It's a mixed message, for sure, but my own take is that I"m going with how they sang it in 1994 to represent how they did it on the original track.  I think they began to stuck with original arrangements in their later years and didn't bother straying away from the original tracks in the spirit of being "adventurous."  My take on it, at least.

I have watched them and, though I get what they were doing in the 78 clip, the 94 one just nails it so much better.

and, speaking of Cuddle Up, He Come Down: it took me a long long time to see the beauty in those songs. Cuddle Up is indeed ragged and ..... well..... so Dennis, and I stupidly wrote it off as sub-par to his Sunflower songs for a long time. It is just such a unique composition/production, you have to let it work its magic on you no matter how long it might take.

And He Come Down: sure it's not the greatest song ever written, but just listen to their voices on the lyric-less humming section that precedes the big "He come down to make heaven my home" part!
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2011, 12:30:07 AM »

I have watched them and, though I get what they were doing in the 78 clip, the 94 one just nails it so much better.

and, speaking of Cuddle Up, He Come Down: it took me a long long time to see the beauty in those songs. Cuddle Up is indeed ragged and ..... well..... so Dennis, and I stupidly wrote it off as sub-par to his Sunflower songs for a long time. It is just such a unique composition/production, you have to let it work its magic on you no matter how long it might take.

And He Come Down: sure it's not the greatest song ever written, but just listen to their voices on the lyric-less humming section that precedes the big "He come down to make heaven my home" part!

yes with certain songs it takes mea while 2 get used 2 them or "like" them.
it took me a whole month 2 get into wild honey and now it's like my 3rd favorite album Smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2011, 01:16:40 AM »

Well, ya know, that's art! Sometimes it has 2 be the right moiment or the right mood 2 get into something. Sometimes you read a book or watch a movie and it goes right over your head. Then sometime later you try it again, and after whatever life experience you've gone through in the meantime, new colors amd shades come 2 the fore!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 01:21:15 AM by Erik H » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2011, 01:33:44 AM »

Brian's presence helps out here.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2011, 01:40:38 AM »

It's around on several *koff* archive releases.

D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2011, 01:56:57 AM »

Have seen the touring BB's perform All This Is That in 2004 and 2008, wonderful song !
Will C.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2011, 05:55:18 AM »

It's around on several *koff* archive releases.

Haha thank you AGD.  I'm sure I'll come across it in the near future!  I'm going to keep my eyes open.

I don't know what the music theory involved would be... but it's so beautiful, he keeps going and going too.  It starts at the root note and does this beautiful little melody, then he does it again... like you said it's like he's singing above himself, it's soulful like you can't teach.  The only reason he sounded like that was because he really was a pretty gentle soul, so at the end of the song you can really feel his ... gentle soul!  So natural and beautiful, the Beach Boys at their best were natural, and beautiful.  Really makes you miss Carl, too, especially when we're talking about it late at night, it's 1a.m. here while I'm thinking about this.  I'm sure Carl's off somewhere beautiful and soulful waiting for the rest of us!

Once again, well put Ron.  The beauty of Carl's performance is something to marvel at here.  Though I'd say he provides the highlight with the "Je Guru Dev" ending, the song as a whole is a beautiful composition that builds perfectly and soothes the soul.  The "golden auras glow around you" line is so incredibly sung.  Each contributing member's performance is something special, and there is no doubt there hearts went into the track.  Wish we could pinpoint once and for all which parts are Mike or Al, but it's fun to speculate.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2011, 07:15:20 AM »

Here's my best stab at who sings what:

Alan
Mike
Carl
Ensemble

I am that, thou art that, and all this is that
I am that, thou art that, all this is that
This is that

Oooo

Daybreak and I take a glide
Into the pool of peace inside
(Two ways travel by)
Two ways and I
both travel by

(And that makes all the difference to me)

Life supporting waves of bliss
Mother Divine's precious kiss
Brings with love the light of wisdom
And the gift of eternal freedom

Two ways and I both travel by
(... and the nature of man...)
And that makes all the difference to me
(Krishna...)

All this is that
This is that
This is that

Dusk time the shadows fall
Into the timeless time of all

Two ways and I
Both travel by

Golden auras glow around you
Omnipresent love surrounds you
Wisdom warming as the sun
You and I are truly one

Two ways and I
Both travel by

And that makes all the difference to me

Jai guru dev
(I am that, thou art that, all this is that)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 07:20:01 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2011, 11:05:50 AM »

Would you mind doing this for ALL Beach Boys songs?  LOL

Seems damn right on the money!
Been Too Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2011, 12:53:46 PM »

One of my all time (non-Brian) favs.  Great collaboration between Al, Mike and  Carl.  Always wondered who wrote the bulk of it? Or did the three combine three different tunes together.

I seem to remember hearing that “All this is that” started off as a song that Al based on the Robert Frost poem “The Road Not Taken” :

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

and then that was added to by Carl and Mike (Mike specifically adding all the TM references.)

I always thought that it sounded a lot like the folk tune “Raspberries, Strawberries”, especially the “Daybreak…” verses.

Also, the tune to:
“Two ways and I
both travel by”

sounds a lot like the tune to “His dreams have turned to dust” from “Raspberries, Strawberries”, the same melody The Beach Boys quote in “At My Window.”
Al does like quoting folk tunes.

Also gets my vote for the best Beach Boys’ song Brian had nothing to do with!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx