gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681020 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 01:16:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Box set: two grumbles  (Read 9257 times)
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2011, 02:23:38 PM »

It goes without saying, but TSS is glorious, totally absorbing, fabulously generous in detail, sounds beautiful, and is a total credit to the album as conceived, and to all involved, most especially Brian. Linett should, frankly, march to the front, help himself to an armful of Emmys and take the rest of the year off.

God knows It'd be unduly curmudgeonly of me to find fault. So I have. Very minor fault indeed, and the square root of sod all to do with any of the music, but...

(1) Absence of Van Dyke Parks from the sleeve notes. Unless he's dying, I'm stumped to think of a good reason why he shouldn't have branded his involvement on this.

(2) Mike Love's written contribution. An object lesson in dissembling. Berk.

End of grumble.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 02:36:35 PM »

What are you supposed to do with the track listing that comes wrapped around the box under the cellophane? No one thought about that, did they.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Musketeer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 02:39:13 PM »

Emmys?
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 02:42:15 PM »

Yeah. The Grammy-shaped things. They're Emmys, aren't they?

(Now who's the berk?)
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 02:42:39 PM »

Anyone know why VDP absented himself from duty? (Now I'm dissembling -- I know at least one board member out there who does, so there are probably half a dozen -- so perhaps the direct question is more honest.)

Anyone care to say why VDP absented himself from duty?
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 02:48:15 PM »

I'm going to hazard a guess that Van Dyke wants to distance himself from "Smile" and be known for his own music.  I can't blame him.  He's touring now and is putting out new music.  He is a musician, a better-trained one than Brian Wilson, and having fame for his project of writing lyrics (not music) for someone else's project is something he wants to move past. 

I also don't get critizing Mike Love for writing (or dictating/suggesting to whoever actually typed them up or edited/co-wrote them) liner notes.  If he didn't, people would be criticizing him for that, too.  I'm not one of those people who thinks "Smile" was not released due to Mike Love.  I'm sure other people had objections at the time, including Van Dyke Parks.  Van Dyke wasn't very happy with Brian's behavior during that time and he stopped working on the project due to that. 
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 02:50:23 PM »

forget -- really, I wouldn't be surprised if that were the reason.

Heck, when Orange Crate Art came out in November 1995, I e-mailed VDP at the address in the liner notes and asked him flat-out if he gets sick of people asking him about Smile. He said yes because 1) it was a relatively small part of his life, just a couple months' worth, and 2) he felt he said all he had to say. Maybe today, after BWPS, his comments in IJWMFTT and other documentaries, the books, etc., he feels that either he said all he could, anything that COULD be said has already been said, or both.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
thevigilanteoflove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 02:50:40 PM »

I'm not saying I know or have any idea why VDP wouldn't get involved with the liner notes in the project, but I have a guess. Possibly, from his point of view, he didn't want to attract attention to himself and allow Brian to get recognition. In interviews that I've seen he is always sure to give credit to Brian for SMiLE. This is just a guess.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 02:53:33 PM »

It's funny that he feels (or felt as far back as 15 years ago) that he's said all he had to say, yet is always extremely vague and rarely gives out solid, substantial info. Yeah, I know, he's an eccentric genius, and that's adorable and all, and he's talked about Smile a lot, but there's still a fair amount of things that only he and Brian know, and neither of them will talk about it. It's odd, is all.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 02:53:56 PM »

I'm not grumbling that ML wrote liner notes -- I'm grumbling at their tone. I'm delighted he wrote liner notes. They're just rather charmless.

We can all hazard guesses at why VDP didn't contribute to the liner notes -- mine would be that he's writing an autobiography -- but I'd rather hear chapter and verse, if anyone's got it and can say.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 03:33:51 PM »

I love the box a whole lot. But since I paid 150 euros for it, which is quite a lot of money for me, I think I have the right to complain a little bit. Wink

First, I don't like the big unpractical CD folders. Seperate CD-cases would've been better. I think they didn't realize that many people listen to CD's in their cars too.

Second, and I know this will sound ungrateful, I think that there shouldn't have been bonus tracks on disc 1. The "completed" 'Smile' and the sessions/odds and ends should have been two different things. It should have been like, "This is it, this disc here, this is 'Smile'.". Now that disc is 'Smile' plus a bunch of fairly randomly picked extras, which kind of cheapens it IMO.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 03:35:33 PM »

I think Mike's liner notes are cool. He's honest and realistic. It would've been wrong if he would've written anything else.
Jason
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 03:38:27 PM »

The man's honest and he can't win. If he lied and said "it was amazing" he wouldn't win. Fans are so fickle...
thevigilanteoflove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 04:06:24 PM »

I love the box a whole lot. But since I paid 150 euros for it, which is quite a lot of money for me, I think I have the right to complain a little bit. Wink

First, I don't like the big unpractical CD folders. Seperate CD-cases would've been better. I think they didn't realize that many people listen to CD's in their cars too.

Second, and I know this will sound ungrateful, I think that there shouldn't have been bonus tracks on disc 1. The "completed" 'Smile' and the sessions/odds and ends should have been two different things. It should have been like, "This is it, this disc here, this is 'Smile'.". Now that disc is 'Smile' plus a bunch of fairly randomly picked extras, which kind of cheapens it IMO.

I kind of feel the same way. I like the idea of a single disc finished album on its own. However, I assume the reason they had to put bonus tracks on disc 1 is simply because they wouldn't be able to fit all they wanted onto five discs otherwise.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 04:13:48 PM »

They packed these discs full, you realize, so if they were gonna throw the extras on disc 1 onto other discs, it would've come at the expense of other material, which I can't agree with.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
The Radiant Radish
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 04:22:23 PM »

I can't believe some people are actually complaining that there shouldn't be bonus tracks on the "the album" disc. Just try pressing stop after GoodVibrations and imagine the arm of the record player locking into a groove ... oh and shut up complaining!
oldsurferdude
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 05:04:56 PM »

I can't believe some people are actually complaining that there shouldn't be bonus tracks on the "the album" disc. Just try pressing stop after GoodVibrations and imagine the arm of the record player locking into a groove ... oh and shut up complaining!
Not even 1 day out and garbage being dumped on the set about how, in their eyes, it could have been so much better if... . Can't wait to see all the shoulda, woulda, coulda posts after all the endless screaming about releasing a Smile box set. Why not just effin' listen to it and appreciate it for what it is? JMHO that's all.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 05:07:19 PM by oldsurferdude » Logged
Jason
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 05:28:53 PM »

+1
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 05:31:34 PM »

I don't understand this about VD not contributing to the liner notes - the ESQ dude who has his unboxing on youtube points out at one point a piece written by VD in the accompanying book.  Is the book not the liner notes?  I guess I'm dumb.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 06:14:51 PM »

The piece is not written by Van Dyke. It is a piece ABOUT Van Dyke, written by Tom Nolan.
The Demon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2011, 06:24:16 PM »

I never get that argument either, that it ruins the integrity of the album.   By that same logic you could never have singles on albums, or make mixtapes, or play one record right after another, etc.
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2011, 06:54:17 PM »

I had to look up the definition of 'dissembling.' Embarrassed
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2011, 07:44:09 PM »

Linett should, frankly, march to the front, help himself to an armful of Emmys and take the rest of the year off.

I have a grumble about your grumble: You didn't mention Alan Boyd above.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2011, 09:06:36 PM »

I have only one minor quibble about the packaging--so minor, I will get over it in no time.  The housing for the cds has shrink wrap on it, which is probably to keep the 45s from falling out the first time you remove everything from the box.  But why no shrink wrap on the Lps?  That would have been cool, especially since I have no plans for playing them.  But like I said, I'll get over it.  Being able to look at the reproduced booklet made me forget all about it!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 10:21:27 PM »

I think Mike's liner notes are cool. He's honest and realistic. It would've been wrong if he would've written anything else.

I agree.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx