gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:44:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1988 Linett SMiLE  (Read 1518 times)
rattfink
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2011, 09:14:02 AM »

Does anyone know roughly what Mark had to work with when he started on SMilE in 1988? Were the mixes that led to the GV box already completed by Brian or did he have to assemble some of them (like Vega-Tables)? Also, prior to 1988 (this narrows who can answer this question) were there any bootlegs floating around? It seems like everything that I have come across leads to the 1988 related sessions (Vigotone, Sea of Tunes, dat transfer "rough mixes" leak, etc.). Any insight would be appreciated.
Jason
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 10:46:00 AM »

Keep in mind, the 1988 "release" was intended only to be a single CD, so I'm sure Mark was quite limited as to what he could include. As far as mixes already being completed by Brian, that's a matter of conjecture. There is a compilation reel from December of '66 with Our Prayer, Wonderful, Cabin Essence (two versions), Child Is Father of the Man (two segments), and Do You Like Worms. Those are Brian's original mixes. There is another compilation reel from January of '67 with "Do A Lot", "All Day" (takes 1-2 and 13-17), "Bridge to Indians" (vocal session), "Bag of Tricks" (a single take in two mixes), and "Tag to Part 1" (an undubbed take and two overdubs). These seem just to have been a means to save a few segments on tape.

As far as Mark's working materials, his mix of Wind Chimes is based off of Brian's rough 1966 edit. His "mix" of The Old Master Painter is sourced from Dennis' acetate, so that's a Brian mix. His mix of Vega-Tables is based off of a rough assembly made by Brian in April of '67. Otherwise, I'd say the mixes are basically his own.

A lot of the Smile bootlegs (first appearing in 1983) stem from what appears to have a massive amount of copying which allegedly dates back to 1977-78 with the "Preiss tape" and several hours of other session material (also non-Smile stuff). A lot of this stuff was never "officially" (lulz) booted until the early 2000s.
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 11:11:15 AM »

I think this is a very interesting subject, especially vintage mixes/rough assemblies. They give us the best insight in what the songs would have been like in 1966/67, and how may of the songs should be in my opinion. I actually like the 1988 mixes, mostly because they are quite historically accurate and include some of Brian's rough mixes.
rattfink
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 11:24:26 AM »

Keep in mind, the 1988 "release" was intended only to be a single CD, so I'm sure Mark was quite limited as to what he could include. As far as mixes already being completed by Brian, that's a matter of conjecture. There is a compilation reel from December of '66 with Our Prayer, Wonderful, Cabin Essence (two versions), Child Is Father of the Man (two segments), and Do You Like Worms. Those are Brian's original mixes. There is another compilation reel from January of '67 with "Do A Lot", "All Day" (takes 1-2 and 13-17), "Bridge to Indians" (vocal session), "Bag of Tricks" (a single take in two mixes), and "Tag to Part 1" (an undubbed take and two overdubs). These seem just to have been a means to save a few segments on tape.

As far as Mark's working materials, his mix of Wind Chimes is based off of Brian's rough 1966 edit. His "mix" of The Old Master Painter is sourced from Dennis' acetate, so that's a Brian mix. His mix of Vega-Tables is based off of a rough assembly made by Brian in April of '67. Otherwise, I'd say the mixes are basically his own.

A lot of the Smile bootlegs (first appearing in 1983) stem from what appears to have a massive amount of copying which allegedly dates back to 1977-78 with the "Preiss tape" and several hours of other session material (also non-Smile stuff). A lot of this stuff was never "officially" (lulz) booted until the early 2000s.
I now appreciate better what ML has had to do to put this 2011 release together. He basically has had to "glue" and "layer" together a bunch of fragments. I had mistakenly assumed maybe he had more completed mixes on reel than what actually has been the case. This video confirms it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=dw09zOhZ_Ck#!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 11:29:10 AM by rattfink » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx