gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:30:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The REAL reason Brian abandoned SMiLE?  (Read 41153 times)
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 02, 2014, 04:35:10 AM »

I'm beginning to sympathize with imaginary Brian. I've had my feelings hurt recently by a few boarders' insults, insinuations, and criticisms, both intentional and unintentional, over some imaginary agenda. I'm still waiting for my public apology.

Oh imaginary Brian, I feel your imaginary pain!

Sarcasm of that level somehow doesn't surprise me. I personally think it's kind of low. Neither you nor I can fundamentally prove what Brian's feelings were/weren't at the time, but at least I only speak in hypotheticals and state my *opinion* of what I think his probable state of mind/feelings were... whereas you come off as parading around what you believe to be absolute, indisputable "facts".

If Brian told you personally that, irregardless of drugs, that he felt certain feelings about certain people's actions at the time, you'd still find a way to say that his feelings were 100% "not valid" and were absolutely imaginary, even though he felt them - right?

Serious question.  

Second serious question: would you tell that to his face?

More accusations, more insults hurting my feelings over something imaginary. No apology.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Nicko1234
« Reply #176 on: April 02, 2014, 04:56:48 AM »

He may not in his heart think he acted like a jerk. Most probably. But I wonder if in Mike's heart, despite that he has never publicly said so... would he do things even slightly differently with hindsight if he could go back in time? I think he probably would, even if only just a tiny bit.

Fine. You think he may have done things a tiny bit differently. Not worthy of 2 threads then.  Smiley
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: April 02, 2014, 08:07:28 AM »

Wow, this thread went to hell right quick.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 02, 2014, 09:18:46 AM »

Even if this did happen, I don't think it illustrates what you fellas think it does. JMO. If you look at the whole picture, Brian is anything but fragile or indecisive. The guy just happened to agree with what Brian was already thinking, otherwise he wouldn't have asked imo.

How would you know what Brian was thinking about Little Honda? If that happened to me and I watched that song become a hit for someone else I would be thinking "I shouldn't have listened to that guy".

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 02, 2014, 09:21:41 AM »

Wrong. It went to hell a long time ago.

This is just a revival.  Wink

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 02, 2014, 09:27:45 AM »

Any thread about Smile, Mike, Brian & VDP goes to hell as soon as the first person responds to it. And, if we go back to any other thread about Smile's demise, it is always the same old argument over & over. We've beaten this dead horse a 100 times over. Oy! Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 02, 2014, 09:32:42 AM »

Any thread about Smile, Mike, Brian & VDP goes to hell as soon as the first person responds to it. And, if we go back to any other thread about Smile's demise, it is always the same old argument over & over. We've beaten this dead horse a 100 times over. Oy! Wink

At least 100 times, and not just on this board.  Some people love to revive and regurgitate it.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 02, 2014, 09:41:25 AM »

Even if this did happen, I don't think it illustrates what you fellas think it does. JMO. If you look at the whole picture, Brian is anything but fragile or indecisive. The guy just happened to agree with what Brian was already thinking, otherwise he wouldn't have asked imo.

How would you know what Brian was thinking about Little Honda? If that happened to me and I watched that song become a hit for someone else I would be thinking "I shouldn't have listened to that guy".

I don't know, it's my opinion as labeled for the reasons I stated.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 02, 2014, 10:19:42 AM »

I'm beginning to sympathize with imaginary Brian. I've had my feelings hurt recently by a few boarders' insults, insinuations, and criticisms, both intentional and unintentional, over some imaginary agenda. I'm still waiting for my public apology.

Sarcasm of that level somehow doesn't surprise me. I personally think it's kind of low. Neither you nor I can fundamentally prove what Brian's feelings were/weren't at the time, but at least I only speak in hypotheticals and state my *opinion* of what I think his probable state of mind/feelings were... whereas you come off as parading around what you believe to be absolute, indisputable "facts".

If Brian told you personally that, irregardless of drugs, that he felt certain feelings about certain people's actions at the time, you'd still find a way to say that his feelings were 100% "not valid" and were absolutely imaginary, even though he felt them - right?

Serious question.  

A thread like this needs to be extinguished if mere "sarcasm" is seen as something "low" .....
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: April 02, 2014, 10:22:55 AM »

At least 100 times, and not just on this board.  Some people love to revive and regurgitate it.

I see no problem discussing it. Remember, not everyone's been on the board here forever. However, once it descends into back and forth bickering with no new info or thoughtful speculation coming out, it's useless.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 02, 2014, 10:52:01 AM »

Serious question.  

More accusations, more insults hurting my feelings over something imaginary. No apology.

And yet my questions both go unanswered.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 02, 2014, 10:58:51 AM »

Serious question.  

A thread like this needs to be extinguished if mere "sarcasm" is seen as something "low" .....

An entire post dedicated solely to scathing sarcasm? If not outright low, the post should qualify as being 100% passive aggressive in nature, and not contributing anything whatsoever of worth to the discussion. It's not a response to a question, but rather a scathing attempt to diminish one side's point of view and literally teasing the assumed feelings of someone that neither of us personally know. Hell, I'm big enough to say that we're simply discussing our opinions of the assumed feelings of others. IMO, the only way a remark like that (the wording of which sounds like a playground bully making fun of someone) could be seen as anything *but* low is if it were grounded in 100% provable truth, which it isn't.

Sorry, I just find teasing about someone's feelings to be low, even if we are just talking about assumptions here.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 11:19:07 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 02, 2014, 10:59:37 AM »

Serious question.  

And yet my questions both go unanswered.

why should anyone have to answer imaginary questions asked about imaginary scenarios?

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 02, 2014, 11:00:58 AM »

Serious question.  

An entire post dedicated solely to scathing sarcasm? If not outright low, the post should qualify as being 100% passive aggressive in nature, and not contributing anything whatsoever of worth to the discussion. It's not a response to a question, but rather a scathing attempt to diminish one side's point of view and the assumed feelings of someone that neither of us personally know. Hell, I'm big enough to say that we're simply discussing our opinions of the assumed feelings of others. IMO, the only way a remark like that (the wording of which sounds like a playground bully making fun of someone) could be seen as anything *but* low is if it were grounded in 100% provable truth, which it isn't.

There is no discussion here! Just you imagining things and then demanding that others join in and somehow prove your imaginary scenarios as correct.

But I'll play along....

If Brian told me that stuff in private, of course I would not make light of his opinions, and I would consider them 100% valid and I would be as sensitive with him as possible.

But I don't know Brian and if I met him I most certainly wouldn't launch into a discussion of said subject.... And if I did, I've the distinct feeling he'd likely go "huh"?

I also suggested you write Mike a fan letter, which is probably the most worthwhile contribution to this thread, since it suggests taking action and possibly arriving at a conclusion.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 11:06:00 AM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 02, 2014, 11:18:02 AM »

He may not in his heart think he acted like a jerk. Most probably. But I wonder if in Mike's heart, despite that he has never publicly said so... would he do things even slightly differently with hindsight if he could go back in time? I think he probably would, even if only just a tiny bit.

Fine. You think he may have done things a tiny bit differently. Not worthy of 2 threads then.  Smiley

You're just restating my feelings on this subject, for no apparent reason that I can see.
I'd be curious to know your thoughts on the matter.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: April 02, 2014, 11:22:42 AM »

Fine. You think he may have done things a tiny bit differently. Not worthy of 2 threads then.  Smiley

You're just restating my feelings on this subject, for no apparent reason that I can see.
I'd be curious to know your thoughts on the matter.

Don't bother. This conversation is going nowhere fast, neither of you are gonna convince the other.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 02, 2014, 12:01:18 PM »

This is just a revival.  Wink

At least 100 times, and not just on this board.  Some people love to revive and regurgitate it.

I see no problem discussing it. Remember, not everyone's been on the board here forever. However, once it descends into back and forth bickering with no new info or thoughtful speculation coming out, it's useless.
All of the posts are still here to read if one will use the Search function. Should you do that, you will see that all that has transpired here, transpired before. Using Yogi Berra's famous line "It's deja vu, all over again." Wink
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 12:02:51 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 02, 2014, 12:04:13 PM »

God Only Knows what happened during the SMiLE saga.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: April 02, 2014, 12:16:18 PM »

At least 100 times, and not just on this board.  Some people love to revive and regurgitate it.

All of the posts are still here to read if one will use the Search function. Should you do that, you will see that all that has transpired here, transpired before. Using Yogi Berra's famous line "It's deja vu, all over again." Wink

But, that's exactly what I'm doing. Posting on old threads to add my own input. It's not like I'm starting new threads about topic that have already been discussed.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 02, 2014, 12:32:33 PM »

Been there, done that, exhausted every possible variable there is to Smile. Doc is right - use the search function. The board is clogged up full of Smile arguments that go nowhere all over again. It's like inciting a riot, and you seem to wallow in anything SMiLE related on this board (including 'contributing' one more in a myriad of Smile fan mixes). Yeah, so TSS (or BWPS) still weren't the definitive end-alls to Smile for some people. Deal with it. There's more to The Beach Boys than Smile.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 02, 2014, 12:34:20 PM »

But, that's exactly what I'm doing. Posting on old threads to add my own input. It's not like I'm starting new threads about topic that have already been discussed.
Yes, but we are still discussing the same stuff and arguing the same old arguments. All I can say is that from what I can glean from the people who post here that have really studied the matter, is that Brian and the lack of technology are the two areas to point the finger. Whether band members disagreed or didn't like some of the material, Brian was the boss. Even if they kicked and screamed through the entire process, if Brian had really wanted it completed and released,  they would have went work and completed it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 12:35:41 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 02, 2014, 12:40:15 PM »

Yes, but we are still discussing the same stuff and arguing the same old arguments. All I can say is that from what I can glean from the people who post here that have really studied the matter, is that Brian and the lack of technology are the two areas to point the finger. Whether band members disagreed or didn't like some of the material, Brian was the boss. Even if they kicked and screamed through the entire process, if Brian had really wanted it completed and released,  they would have went work and completed it.

I concur that Brian was the one who decided to pull the plug on the project. That shouldn't be debated. But find me an album by any artist that is a massive undertaking, with people around them “kicking and screaming” throughout the entire process, that does not result in the project’s creator being negatively effected in some way by that resistance, and I’ll eat my shorts.  Not saying the “kicking and screaming” description is accurate to this saga, but just referencing your quote since you mentioned it.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 12:41:31 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 02, 2014, 12:43:31 PM »

No apology.

Let's just say Love Means Never Having to Say You're Sorry and leave it at that. The man took his name literally.  Grin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: April 02, 2014, 12:46:37 PM »

If you read my posts you'll see that I agree. Sorry for bringing up old topics but you don't have to get involved and for me this is the first time discussing the topic with people who actually know/care enough to discuss it intelligently.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 02, 2014, 12:59:35 PM »

I concur that Brian was the one who decided to pull the plug on the project. That shouldn't be debated. But find me an album by any artist that is a massive undertaking, with people around them “kicking and screaming” throughout the entire process, that does not result in the project’s creator being negatively effected in some way by that resistance, and I’ll eat my shorts.  Not saying the “kicking and screaming” description is accurate to this saga, but just referencing your quote since you mentioned it.

Now you know what I meant there, let's not argue about that. I will say that I know of no bands where there was total harmony during their existence as a band. Six band members are never going to fully agree or like every piece of music presented to them. Now, if Smile had started during the Sunflower-Surf's Up era, I could see that making Brian retreat, but not in 1966-67. I never bought that argument and never will. Brian did what Brian wanted, no matter. I think Brian lost focus due to what I said earlier, stopped and restarted in a completely opposite direction with Smiley Smile. Smile burned him out, and Smiley helped him to cool down and start fresh.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,