-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:25:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  At The Movies...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: At The Movies...  (Read 5645 times)
Bubba Ho-Tep
« on: March 15, 2006, 11:07:10 AM »

We used to have a movie topic, where we could discuss the movies we’ve recently seen, and I’d like to revive it.

I felt it would be a public service to either recommend or warn others about the movies I’ve seen. Remember to keep your reviews spoiler free, if you can.

Anyway, the last movie I saw was 16 Blocks starring Bruce Willis, directed by Richard Donner (Superman, Lethal Weapon). Typical Bruce Willis action picture, but that is not a bad thing. He plays an interesting character, this time: an older guy and an alcoholic, washed up cop. I though this was much better than Willis’ last effort, “Hostage”.

Although the premise is similar to that of “Assault on Precinct 13”, it’s still enjoyable. Bruce has to get a witness to court in time to testify against the police department, and the only thing standing between him and his destination are a bunch of fellow policemen who want to stop him. His co-star, Mos Def, manages to create one of the most annoying characters ever committed to the big screen. Like a cross between Jar Jar Binks and Antoine Jackson (the homeless guy from “In Living Color”). In fact, I was wishing they had gotten Damon Wayons to play the part instead (Willis and Damon had good chemistry in “The Last Boyscout”) You’ll find yourself shouting “Shut up!” at the screen, right along side Bruce Willis himself.

An enjoyable way to kill 2 hours. Give it a shot.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 11:08:11 AM »

Firewall with Harrison Ford

He’s way too old for this sh*t, but that won’t prevent you from getting behind Harrison as he tries to rescue his family from the grip of crooks who hold them hostage in exchange for Ford helping them infiltrate his bank. I actually got quite into this one, even though it was awfully similar to Bruce Willis’ “Hostage”, even having the same little boy play the son. The reviews have been generally poor, but what do reviewers know? This is a fun time at the cinema, with a familiar face in the lead roll. Not a masterpiece by any means, but you could do a lot worse.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 10:41:07 PM »

The reviews have been generally poor, but what do reviewers know?

I know what THIS reviewer knows, after seeing that piece of poo at a preview. It ain't worth the sweat in Virginia Madsen's armpits.

Now, Jem And The Holograms was a great series.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 04:43:37 PM »

Heh.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 04:45:58 PM by Bubba Ho-Tep » Logged
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 11:20:05 AM »

Inside Man starring Denzel Washington, Jodie Foster, Willem Dafoe. Directed by Spike Lee. Stylish and well acted police standoff flick. At times I found it a bit confusing. It’s best not to think too hard and just have a good time with it. Spike Lee’s most easily digestible film. 

Afro
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 02:51:30 PM »

Spike Lee’s most easily digestible film

Uhhh, that's a good thing?

jazzfascist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 03:42:43 PM »

I just saw "Sympathy For The Devil" by Godard, very confusing movie, but it shows Stones in the studio while they cut "Sympathy For The Devil.

Søren

"How can I come on, when I know I'm filthy"
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 03:49:46 PM »

The original cut, called One Plus One, is a bit better. A good thing is just editing the Stones bits together. The rest is not Godard's best work, by any stretch.

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 06:25:19 AM »

Let me scream it from the mountain tops....Clerks II freakin' rules!!!

Lady in the Water? Well, I thought "The Village" blew, but my wife forced me to see this follow up. I didn't mind it, but it is the most ridiculous pile of nonsense ever concocted. It's a miracle it works at all. But somehow I found myself entertained. M. Night must have been smoking the chronic to come up with such a nutty story. Doesn't make a lick of sense.

On a side note...what was the deal with the father taking his 2 young sons to Clerks II? They couldn't have been more than 9 and 7, and dad's sitting there beside them while the most unspeakable sex act is taking place on the big screen (donkey show). Nice parenting!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 06:30:23 AM by Bubba Ho-Tep » Logged
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 06:36:29 AM »

Saw "Phone Booth" on the TV yesterday. Much better than I expected. Incredible thrilling. I would actually call it one of the greatest thriller of the last decade.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 07:54:45 AM »

CARS ****  I love pixar and this was as good as anything they have done..and...excellent voiceovers by a great cast.

My Super Ex Girlfriend *** unexpectedly funny and offbeat......If you're looking for something different and totally entertaining, see this.  Warning: don't take your children.  These superwomen are quite "over the top" in the sack.

Superman **1/2  well done but just didn't grab me.  Like the different versions of Batman, some people prefer one, some the other.

You, Me Dupree**
Uneven but Owen Wilson IS Dupree.  Kate Hudson looks different.  If you liked What About Bob, you'll like this,  but not quite as much.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006, 08:03:43 AM »

Saw Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest last week. It was entertaining for the most part, but not near as good as the original.

First movie I saw this summer was Cars and I agree, donald. Yet another great Pixar film. I thought Superman was really good, imo. Saw X-3 but that could have been so much better. The 1st and 2nd movies are better, I enjoy the 2nd one over all of them.

I'm really looking forward to Spider-Man 3 next summer.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 11:51:04 AM »

People, let me tell you that “The Decent” is a pretty scary movie.

Mess you up.

Word.

Bunch of women go down into a cavern.....find something....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: