gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:48:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Roll Your Own  (Read 6386 times)
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2011, 07:18:58 AM »

The mixes I made up till now are more 'basic' and somewhat 'historically accurate' mixes than real 'fan' mixes. I really enjoy the new mixes by Mark Linnett and Alan Boyd, there are just some tracks which could do with a more basic approach in my opinion. The mixes I make can only include basic edits and a simple fade out (when using the sessions discs).
Mixes I've already made include:

-I'm In Great Shape - Stereo instrumental track - the last take on the sessions disc, faded out.
-Look - Stereo instrumental track - stereo master take, faded out
-Barnyard - I think they could have included  the full mix with backing vocals, but they didn't, so I tried to reconstruct it as good as possible. - I replaced the verse fly-in vocal part with the instrumental part from the sessions disc, at that point there are no backing vocals so nothing missing up till that point. After that I just cut out the 2nd fly-in vocal part, and applied a fade out at the end. Untill we have the full mix, this might be a good basic barnyard in good quality.
-Cabin Essence - I tried to fix the edit/speed issue in the tag as good as possible.
-A less basic mix: Child Is Father Of The Man (Stereo backing track), assembled like the instrumental mono mix.

I still have to do a Holidays basic stereo mix.

Wow, Paul - Carr I presume? - your stereo Smile (which contains I think mixes by other illustrious fan mixers) remains my definitive 'historical Smile mix' point of reference. I would love to hear what you do with all this new material, keep us posted on your work!
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2011, 07:25:07 AM »

I posted the following to a thread the same name a while ago - might be useful here:

We've had ML positively encourage fan mixes of TSS material, but the set's release will have ramifications for the whole Smile 'back catalogue' of boots and officially remixed materials. The Sessionography at http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,11250.0.html will be an amazing resource for fan mixes of all stripes!

Here's a list of categories of mixes that I think we'll need. What do you lot think? What have I missed or got wrong? What do you want to see emerge from the home and pro studios of our illustrious engineer/producer/musician Smile brethren?

Albums
Stereo Smile TSS version: a stereo and faked stereo recreation of TTS disc 1

Stereo Smile Discrete Tracks: a stereo version of discrete tracks which follow previous and current official versions, but conceptualised as individual tracks

Stereo Smile Re-imagined Discrete tracks: as above, but track mixes varying  according to new information

Historical Smile: Recreations of Smile as it 'might have been' if released in '67

Ahistorical Smile: Fan mixes and re-interpretations of Smile either in album or discrete track format

Sessions and Miscellaneous

Complete Smile Sessions: every track, mix, and session on TSS and off, arranged according to tracking date

Alternate Smile Sessions and Tracks: every track, mix, and session left out of the boxed set, or, 'everything you need to have all available Smile material' (problematic: what happens to overlap, where extra material covered on TSS exists in longer, booted versions?)

Alternate Smile Sessions and Tracks Highlights: every track, mix, and session left off of TSS, but edited for brevity and concision   
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2011, 07:46:23 AM »

The mixes I made up till now are more 'basic' and somewhat 'historically accurate' mixes than real 'fan' mixes. I really enjoy the new mixes by Mark Linnett and Alan Boyd, there are just some tracks which could do with a more basic approach in my opinion. The mixes I make can only include basic edits and a simple fade out (when using the sessions discs).
Mixes I've already made include:

-I'm In Great Shape - Stereo instrumental track - the last take on the sessions disc, faded out.
-Look - Stereo instrumental track - stereo master take, faded out
-Barnyard - I think they could have included  the full mix with backing vocals, but they didn't, so I tried to reconstruct it as good as possible. - I replaced the verse fly-in vocal part with the instrumental part from the sessions disc, at that point there are no backing vocals so nothing missing up till that point. After that I just cut out the 2nd fly-in vocal part, and applied a fade out at the end. Untill we have the full mix, this might be a good basic barnyard in good quality.
-Cabin Essence - I tried to fix the edit/speed issue in the tag as good as possible.
-A less basic mix: Child Is Father Of The Man (Stereo backing track), assembled like the instrumental mono mix.

I still have to do a Holidays basic stereo mix.

Wow, Paul - Carr I presume? - your stereo Smile (which contains I think mixes by other illustrious fan mixers) remains my definitive 'historical Smile mix' point of reference. I would love to hear what you do with all this new material, keep us posted on your work!

Hi UK_Surf, I don't know if you're actually referring to this new mixes (which are both mono and stereo) I made or an older complete stereo mix? Because I did a mix a few years ago, but that was in mono, and not widely posted across all the forums. You might be referring to someone else's Smile mix. Could you PM me with a link to that mix?

Nonetheless, I will tell when I make a new 'basic/historical' mix from TSS.
jonjameshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2011, 09:42:24 AM »

Having just listened to TSS disk1 on CD. The holy grail I was hoping for has not materialised. I going to stick to my "roll your own" mix with the addition of the second half of Windchimes which is the only thing I was really suprised by :-(

(its a mono historical mix made fro the best of mok and PurpleChick and my own EQ and reverb and full H&V sequence)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2011, 11:01:51 AM »

Not necassarally SMiLE, but I thought about making a giant Elements suite with a few songs for each. Such as:

Earth:
Vegatables
A Day in the Life of a Tree
Grand Coolee Damn
Til I Die (rock in a land slide)

Wind:
Wind Chimes
Let the Wind Blow
Country Air
Til I Die section (Leaf on a windy day)

Fire:
Mrs Oleary's Cow
Warmth of the Sun (?)
Match Point Smiley

Water:
Cool Cool Water
Catch a Wave
Rio Grande
Til I Die (Cork on the Ocean)

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
SG7
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2011, 11:11:35 AM »

Having just listened to TSS disk1 on CD. The holy grail I was hoping for has not materialised. I going to stick to my "roll your own" mix with the addition of the second half of Windchimes which is the only thing I was really suprised by :-(

(its a mono historical mix made fro the best of mok and PurpleChick and my own EQ and reverb and full H&V sequence)

Not to be condescending, but what were you expecting? We are talking about a record that never was completed.
jonjameshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2011, 02:44:48 PM »

I said "hoped for" not "expecting"

All the release has confirmed for me is how much stuff we had already and how close to if not significantly better our own mixes are in comparison to the release...

Its still the greatest album of its genre and era imho :-)
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2011, 03:10:59 PM »

But what if I want to make a CD for the car and have the sound quality...you know...gel?

Dude, you're listening IN A CAR.  Big deal.
theCOD
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2011, 03:33:38 PM »

What is the edit/speed issue with the tag?
grooveblaster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2011, 03:34:38 PM »

If you could only use the 12 songs listed on the original cover , what order would you use?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 08:13:27 AM by grooveblaster » Logged
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2011, 03:48:08 PM »

What is the edit/speed issue with the tag?

After the Grand Coolie vocals, the Over and over vocal begins, but it starts a bit too late compared too rough mixes / 20/20, and that section runs quite a bit faster than the Grand Coolie and the rest of the track.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2011, 05:08:14 PM »

But what if I want to make a CD for the car and have the sound quality...you know...gel?

No, brains clearly turn to liquid shit if it tries to process audio going from stereo to mono or vice versa.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2011, 09:44:01 PM »

No, brains clearly turn to liquid shit if it tries to process audio going from stereo to mono or vice versa.

I can understand your sarcasm. After all, look at all those classic albums that are mono/stereo hybrids. Right?  Roll Eyes
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2011, 10:07:16 PM »

I can understand your sarcasm. After all, look at all those classic albums that are mono/stereo hybrids. Right?  Roll Eyes

This is basically true of a few Beach Boys albums and absolutely true of 20/20. You lose.

Straight-up fold downs rarely sound good and throws a wrench into the idea of "consistent" sound. Applying chorus or something else for the sole sake of something technically being "stereo" is stupid.

Also, show me a fan mix that is considered a "classic album".

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2011, 03:36:23 AM »

I just made some mono mixes of Look and Holidays, both taken from Disc 1. The only thing I did was replacing the Look chorus with fly in vocals with a fold down of the same section on the sessions disc and inserting the missing 12th street rag part before the last chorus. For Holidays, I replaced the tag/fade (whispering wind) with a fold down of the same section from the sessions, and faded out.
I just could have folded the stereo sessions disc down to mono but the actual mono mixes sounded a lot better so I just replaced soe sections and let the rest of the mix intact.
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2011, 08:07:21 AM »

I'm not really one for my own album mixes, being someone that likes things to be historical of nature. Buuut, since I'm used to the Brian Wilson Presents Smile flow, all I did was some minor editing of The Smile Sessions tracks with the BWPS instrumental endings to "Heroes and Villains", "Child Is Father Of Man", "In Blue Hawaii", and the opening to "I'm In Great Shape." I also swapped out some sections of The Smile Sessions tracks for sections from the JMZ mix with the added vocals to get an overall "more finished" effect. All folded to mono and volume adjusted.

I don't have any complaints about the 2 disc set, and I LOVE the "album-simulate" on disc 1, I'm just so used to Purple Chick's sequence coming after Pet Sounds on my Beach Boys' Ipod playlist.
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2011, 08:25:35 AM »

I'm not really one for my own album mixes, being someone that likes things to be historical of nature. Buuut, since I'm used to the Brian Wilson Presents Smile flow, all I did was some minor editing of The Smile Sessions tracks with the BWPS instrumental endings to "Heroes and Villains", "Child Is Father Of Man", "In Blue Hawaii", and the opening to "I'm In Great Shape." I also swapped out some sections of The Smile Sessions tracks for sections from the JMZ mix with the added vocals to get an overall "more finished" effect. All folded to mono and volume adjusted.

I don't have any complaints about the 2 disc set, and I LOVE the "album-simulate" on disc 1, I'm just so used to Purple Chick's sequence coming after Pet Sounds on my Beach Boys' Ipod playlist.

WTF for?Huh??

Cheers

Richard
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2011, 08:37:12 AM »

If you could only use the 12 songs listed on the original cover , what order would you use?

Hypehat had a brilliant sequence a few weeks back - honestly, I think this is the best 'Historical' line-up I've seen. Here it is:

Side 1
1. Heroes & Villains (Incorporating Prayer at the start, then just Brian's March '67 Single Edit. It's the only edit we have)
2. I'm In Great Shape (Just the 30 seconds - I don't think it was due for more than that. If you were feeling fresh, it could segue into Barnyard like he does on the Humble Harv demo)
3. Do You Like Worms
4. Wind Chimes
5. The Old Master Painter (Why this is on the 12 tracklist, I don't know)
6. Cabinessence.

Side 2.
1. Good Vibrations
2. Vega-tables
3. Fire (Seeing as extensive tape research hasn't turned up a single other piece of music that lies under the banner 'The Elements', this is telling. No-one's been able to solve 'The Elements', from the garbled BW interviews and Frank Holmes' drawing).
4. Wonderful
5. Child Is The Father of The Man (No ideas as to the edit on this - the fact an unbooted acetate is used on the box in lieu of BW's Nov '66 mix is intriguing. It might well be definitive).
6. Surf's Up.
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2011, 08:44:51 AM »

WTF for?Huh??

Only because that's how I'm used to hearing it from the Purple Chick Smile mix, which has been on my Beach Boys chronology playlist following Pet Sounds since it first was "released."

Its nothing against the new version (which is stunning!!), just suits my ears for the moment. Who knows, after awhile I may replace it with the disc 1 version? For now, I just wanted a better quality version of the familiar line up.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx