gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:42:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TSS - All things Good Vibrations  (Read 89133 times)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2012, 03:23:50 AM »

The only thing that's kinda missing is the original single version which imo should be on the box
No need for that, I already have that multiple times... and I'm certain every owner of the TSS box has it! Roll Eyes

The rarities version is a version with no verse vocals, different (or additional?) chorus vocals ("ye-eh-ah") and different 2nd and 3rd bridges. It has the fuzz bass bridge as 2nd bridge, and over the 3rd bridge (not the organ one) there are humbeedums.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2012, 02:45:58 PM »

The only thing that's kinda missing is the original single version which imo should be on the box
No need for that, I already have that multiple times... and I'm certain every owner of the TSS box has it! Roll Eyes

Of course but it still is the result of all those sessions and I think that it deserves it's inclusion. But that's just a minor thing all in all.

The rarities version is a version with no verse vocals, different (or additional?) chorus vocals ("ye-eh-ah") and different 2nd and 3rd bridges. It has the fuzz bass bridge as 2nd bridge, and over the 3rd bridge (not the organ one) there are humbeedums.

Thanks. Are all these parts on TSS ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2012, 05:30:52 PM »

Of course but it still is the result of all those sessions and I think that it deserves it's inclusion. But that's just a minor thing all in all.

Thanks. Are all these parts on TSS ?

*sigh.*

Its unique elements are on the 'alternate edit' or similar.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2012, 05:58:40 PM »

Just curious: Where would Brian have gotten the inspiration for the Hum Dee Dum part? Is it just an odd piece he thought of out of nowhere? Or had other musicians at the time done any 'chanting' (?) in a record?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2012, 12:22:34 PM »

Just curious: Where would Brian have gotten the inspiration for the Hum Dee Dum part? Is it just an odd piece he thought of out of nowhere? Or had other musicians at the time done any 'chanting' (?) in a record?

"Chanting" was always part of The Beach Boys' vocal arrangements from specific instances like the Native American chant on "Ten Little Indians" to all of the doo-wop variations that found their way into the backing vocals. The difference on the SMiLE tracks was that Brian was using these backing vocal techniques as "stand-alone" segments.

There are plenty of examples of other singers doing this kind of thing earlier. A notable one being "The Lion Sleeps Tonight"; the famous Tokens version (that Brian would have definitely heard) was released in '61.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2012, 12:52:23 PM »

"Chanting" was always part of The Beach Boys' vocal arrangements from specific instances like the Native American chant on "Ten Little Indians" to all of the doo-wop variations that found their way into the backing vocals. The difference on the SMiLE tracks was that Brian was using these backing vocal techniques as "stand-alone" segments.

There are plenty of examples of other singers doing this kind of thing earlier. A notable one being "The Lion Sleeps Tonight"; the famous Tokens version (that Brian would have definitely heard) was released in '61.

Thanks for responding! I didn't even think of 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight'...the Hum Dee Dum in GV sounds almost of African origin, to me anyways. Thanks again!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gregmckee
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2012, 03:57:36 PM »

I love any session work when it comes to GV and the box set has some great stuff...except for one thing...the chugging cellos!!!
I think those cellos in the chorus are like the engine or the power source of the song...does anyone know if the cellos are on any
bootleg collections?
Puggal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2012, 10:51:17 PM »

I don't understand the purpose of the additional bridge (besides the fact that it was on BWPS). I don't think that the Smile of 1967 would have an altered/remixed version of Good Vibrations. It was already perfect.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2012, 08:35:39 AM »

I don't understand the purpose of the additional bridge (besides the fact that it was on BWPS). I don't think that the Smile of 1967 would have an altered/remixed version of Good Vibrations. It was already perfect.

Since the release of the SMiLE "album" happened in 2011 and not 1967, there was 44 years worth of this material being re-worked, re-packaged and re-released. The approach taken with TSS was to present versions of these songs that appeared different from what had been released before, even if some of those releases had been bootlegs only. Despite how great the session tracks were, a potential criticism could have been that the finished tracks had already appeared on various releases through the years including the GOOD VIBRATIONS box set. By issuing versions that had never been heard before, the producers could avoid the perception that the "album" was just a collection of previously released tracks.

I believe the BWPS version of "Good Vibrations" returned to the original Tony Asher lyric draft, as well as incorporate the additional bridge vocals, in an attempt to give it an identity apart from the 45 single everyone knew. The TSS assembly did the same thing by incorporating the additional vocals.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2012, 12:26:27 PM »

I prefer GV WITHOUT the hum-dee-ahh's but WITH the extended ending. Can we have that please?

(Some people are never satisified huh?)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2012, 11:44:19 PM »

I prefer GV WITHOUT the hum-dee-ahh's but WITH the extended ending. Can we have that please?

Well you just have to edit it. Don't you know someone who has editing software?

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2012, 11:45:49 PM »

I don't think that the Smile of 1967 would have an altered/remixed version of Good Vibrations.

Neither do I. The TSS version is an interesting edit, anyway.

DanCiTi
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2013, 09:50:02 PM »

The extension makes perfect sense to me. It fits with the more progressive style of SMiLE, as well as it being on an album, it would give Brian the liberty to have a more full version of the track as he saw it - since Capitol (before it was released and became a massive hit) thought the track was too long, and that is not something you can really say to a track on an LP. At least it doesn't go all out of whack like the various remixes like the Alternate stuff like "She's Already Workin On My Brain" or the Rarities Mix. Those are really cool, but as what are essentially remixes" In the same way the Heroes and Villains Pts. One and Two are fantastic and would have been a ground-breaking single release, but something resembling what they did on the side 1 of TSS makes more sense as what would formally be known as the canon Smile version (which is debatable on what is definitive, but you understand the ballpark I am working in).
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2013, 11:42:08 AM »

Well you just have to edit it. Don't you know someone who has editing software?

No. But if you wanna do it for me and forward it, please do!
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2013, 05:02:05 PM »

The Hum-de-ahh's kind sound like a prayer to me...in a chant form. Brilliant....it is the "Spiritual Sound" Brian spoke about.
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

Male eagle walking down the street....

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2014, 02:35:03 AM »

I just listened to the whole Good Vibrations disc from start to finish. He definitely wanted to make it perfect!!!
felipe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2014, 03:53:38 PM »

One of the best Good Vibrations sessions ins't in TSS neither Unsurpassed Masters. It's the 29th track from Odeon ST-9002. Does anyone know why?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2014, 08:39:53 AM »

One of the best Good Vibrations sessions ins't in TSS neither Unsurpassed Masters. It's the 29th track from Odeon ST-9002. Does anyone know why?

I can't find my Odeon SMiLE at the moment - can you give us a general discription of the track? Musical section, prominenet instruments, dialog?
felipe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2014, 01:26:52 PM »

http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/SMiLE+Odeon+Version+2nd+Edition/3151241
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2014, 01:49:44 PM »

I've totally heard that session before. Isn't it on TSS?

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
felipe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2014, 02:14:54 PM »

no. only with added guitar and drums
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2015, 10:29:15 PM »

The extension makes perfect sense to me. It fits with the more progressive style of SMiLE, as well as it being on an album, it would give Brian the liberty to have a more full version of the track as he saw it - since Capitol (before it was released and became a massive hit) thought the track was too long, and that is not something you can really say to a track on an LP. At least it doesn't go all out of whack like the various remixes like the Alternate stuff like "She's Already Workin On My Brain" or the Rarities Mix. Those are really cool, but as what are essentially remixes" In the same way the Heroes and Villains Pts. One and Two are fantastic and would have been a ground-breaking single release, but something resembling what they did on the side 1 of TSS makes more sense as what would formally be known as the canon Smile version (which is debatable on what is definitive, but you understand the ballpark I am working in).

I agree. I think it's reasonable that he'd do something special for the album cut. Similar to H&V perhaps, except the other way around with the single cut of that song being much longer but split between sides.

The GV disc on the set is the most tiresome by a considerable margin. Oh well.

Absolutely. It's a complete waste, as far as I'm concerned. Far more varied and important material could and should have made the cut ahead of 20 million takes of the same riff over and over again. What the heck were they thinking? I know it's arguably the best single of all time, but still. At least with H&V, all the sessions are completely unique.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
wormdigger
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2017, 10:25:37 PM »

Just (FINALLY) listened to the box set in its entirety...so many thoughts. Many gripes, but such is the rather subjective nature of SMiLE...

Regarding GV, I'm sure it's discussed elsewhere, but can someone fill me in on why the Hum-Be-Dums were left out of the original single? (In a similar vein, the same question goes for the God Only Knows acapella tag...) They (Hum-Be-Dums) are absolutely my favorite part of the song, really wish they'd included them on the original release.

Another thing: I started with GV disc years back (bought the set when it came out) and really didn't dig that disc...the big takeaway I got from it was that early versions of GV were inspired by (and essentially the same melody as) 'The Boy From New York City'... (I also love to make connections between Brian's songs and their original roots, I will have to start a thread sometime)

And totally agree with the comments that the discs could have been fleshed out with other sessions instead of GV. Like, when I listened to the Vega-Tables takes, I was disappointed and yearning for so much more, ie the SoT/Unsurpassed Masters. (Actually, the whole box set felt incomplete and too short for my liking-- I'm a completist, so I really wish they'd just released everything that was recorded during that time.)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2017, 02:37:31 AM »

the big takeaway I got from it was that early versions of GV were inspired by (and essentially the same melody as) 'The Boy From New York City'... (I also love to make connections between Brian's songs and their original roots, I will have to start a thread sometime)

Wow. That's quite a revelation, although it's as plain as day once you get the connection. Thanks, C(IE).

Looking forward to that thread...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2018, 12:59:11 PM »

the big takeaway I got from it was that early versions of GV were inspired by (and essentially the same melody as) 'The Boy From New York City'... (I also love to make connections between Brian's songs and their original roots, I will have to start a thread sometime)

Wow. That's quite a revelation, although it's as plain as day once you get the connection. Thanks, C(IE).

Looking forward to that thread...

Whatever happened to Cab (In Essence) aka wormdigger? Just one post and the promise of a thread...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx