gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:13:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TSS - All things Good Vibrations  (Read 89126 times)
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2011, 08:18:04 AM »

Vocal insert???

Cheers

Richard
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 10:06:01 AM »

Love the mix here. The hum be dums are back in (yay!) and the alternate ending isn't bad either. Always thought the song ended too soon.
John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 01:54:53 AM »

Yeah, it took some time for the music industry in the 60's to get their head around a single longer than 3 minutes. Bob Dylan's 'Like A Rolling Stone', at six minutes and released the year before Good Vibrations, paved the way for longer singles.

"It's more blessed to give than receive"

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 03:56:19 AM »

Also 'You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'', which Spector told them to print the wrong time on the sleeve!

Well, it's the greatest POP song ever. What more needs to be said!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 05:52:44 AM »

Oh yeah...I forgot about that Spector production. As with all things Spector, you'd have to think that it could have had an influence on Brian and the length of this single.  Good Vibrations the greatest POP song ever? Hell yeah! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

"It's more blessed to give than receive"

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 10:10:25 AM »

The GV disc on the set is the most tiresome by a considerable margin. Oh well.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 01:24:32 PM »

Rather have it than not, amirite?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 02:24:38 PM »

Yeah it's tiresome but there are some great moments. Especially for the 5/27/66 Western chorus session where Brian insinuates the wrecking crew is hung over!  LOL

Still listening to the sessions here. Still some left. Will give thoughts once that part of the box set is over.

-Never heard Brian scatting those vocals during the middle eight of "Good, Good, Good Vibrations" before.
-Never heard that alternate edit before with Brian's vocals before. Interesting. An interesting clash of the "two versions".
-Tape rewind sounds like it came from a mixing session.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 02:55:34 PM by Wrightfan » Logged
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 01:38:22 AM »

what happened to the stereo good vibes we were gonna get?
Barnshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 04:31:15 PM »

The alternate edit is a new favourite of mine. This assembly gives the song a totally different feel, although the structure is the same. Love it.
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 05:20:30 PM »

That was planned? I assumed a stereo version was never in the cards. Probably for the best, too -- given the amount of black magic you'd have to commit for it to even be listenable, I'm glad Linett and co. chose to dedicate their time to compiling the rest of the set.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 07:43:28 PM »

I had no idea Gary Coleman played timpani and sleighbell parts for the GV's sessions.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 09:50:17 PM »

That was planned? I assumed a stereo version was never in the cards. Probably for the best, too -- given the amount of black magic you'd have to commit for it to even be listenable, I'm glad Linett and co. chose to dedicate their time to compiling the rest of the set.
first promo vid had stereo mixes of heroes, cabinessence, and good vibes

vocals were panned like purple chick
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 04:33:15 PM »

There is no way to make a decent stereo "Good Vibrations" as long as the vocal tracks are missing. I'm glad they were at least a bit more conservative there.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
pobbard
Smiley Smile Associate

My ultimate guilty pleasure

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 07:35:48 PM »

Has anyone figured out how much overlap there is between the new "Good Vibrations: Session Masters" track and the "Various Sessions" mixed in stereo on the 40th Anniversary GV single and the "Stereo Track Sections" included on Hawthorne?

There is definitely overlap between the 3, but I can't figure out yet if any track becomes redundant now.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 07:37:28 PM by pobbard » Logged
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 07:38:28 PM »

Also 'You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'', which Spector told them to print the wrong time on the sleeve!

Well, it's the greatest POP song ever. What more needs to be said!

really?
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2011, 11:32:42 AM »

I like that they put the hum-be-dahs in, but I miss them singing "gotta keep those lovin' good..." over it ala Purple Chick/BWPS.  I'll still take it.  And having an extended ending is nice too.

I have to say that I'm amazed at how much non-Beach Boy fans love this song in general.  Even my girlfriend who has gotten sick of hearing anything by the Beach Boys still loves GV anytime it's on.  Her other favorite is Vega-Tables (any version).  I guess people calling it the greatest single ever aren't too far off! Grin
pobbard
Smiley Smile Associate

My ultimate guilty pleasure

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 06:53:14 AM »

The alternate edit is a new favourite of mine. This assembly gives the song a totally different feel, although the structure is the same. Love it.

I wish it were in better fidelity, but it is a neat cross between the "Early Take" (from the SS/WH twofer) and the "Alternate Take" (from RARITIES and the GV 40th anniversary CD single).

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2011, 08:21:00 AM »

Has anyone figured out how much overlap there is between the new "Good Vibrations: Session Masters" track and the "Various Sessions" mixed in stereo on the 40th Anniversary GV single and the "Stereo Track Sections" included on Hawthorne?

There is definitely overlap between the 3, but I can't figure out yet if any track becomes redundant now.

"Good Vibrations: Session Masters" is the super edit of what used to be "Stereo Track Sections" and it makes Disc 5 completely worth it (along with the newly assembly "alternate" mix). The 2-CD version of TSS contains the more familiar session highlights edit that has been available since the SMILEY SMILE / WILD HONEY two-fer. There is definitely a lot of overlap, but the "Session Masters" is easily the most listenable assemblage I've heard.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 12:36:13 PM »

I think the GV-disc is as interesting as any of the other. I was surprised that I didn't see Glenn Campbell being listed as I thought (and he said) that he played on the song.
The only thing that's kinda missing is the original single version which imo should be on the box

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2011, 05:31:43 AM »

I think the GV-disc is as interesting as any of the other. I was surprised that I didn't see Glenn Campbell being listed as I thought (and he said) that he played on the song.
The only thing that's kinda missing is the original single version which imo should be on the box

Thought the same thing, as the original single was the end result of all the work showcased on disk 5.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2011, 12:02:51 PM »

The Rarities version is also not on there.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2011, 12:16:46 PM »

What version is that ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2012, 01:22:49 AM »

What version is that ?

It has elements of both the Pet Sounds version and the finished version.  I believe Rarities was officially issued but quickly pulled.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2012, 11:27:41 PM »

Its unique elements are on the 'alternate edit' or similar.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx