gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:11:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: TSS - All things I Love to Say Dada  (Read 49868 times)
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2011, 11:54:18 AM »

Just for fun, folks...

Take the last piano chord of "Love To Say Da Da" and position it next to the opening chord of "Surf's Up" and listen to what happens.

Then tell me if you think that might make a more wonderful end to SMiLE than "Good Vibrations"...
It doesn't sound right to me, but I'm glad you like it; that's what these fan mixes are for. Anyhoo, I think Smile should end with You Were My Sunshine just like the Capitol tracklist says. On the Sessions box set Brian even calls part 2 of YWMS "the big finale". It works as an album closer for me.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Reverend Rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2011, 09:33:55 PM »

Just for fun, folks...

Take the last piano chord of "Love To Say Da Da" and position it next to the opening chord of "Surf's Up" and listen to what happens.

Then tell me if you think that might make a more wonderful end to SMiLE than "Good Vibrations"...
It doesn't sound right to me, but I'm glad you like it; that's what these fan mixes are for. Anyhoo, I think Smile should end with You Were My Sunshine just like the Capitol tracklist says. On the Sessions box set Brian even calls part 2 of YWMS "the big finale". It works as an album closer for me.

On that Brian and I sure have a disagreement.  Oh well...
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2011, 05:54:01 AM »

Thanks Buddhahat, I'll have a listen an put the two together. Smiley
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2011, 09:38:54 PM »

Just for fun, folks...

I'm sorry, I don't think so. OMP in fact works much better for me, even though GV always was my favorite closer - even before BWPS. There's nothing wrong with ending your personal SMiLE mix with whatever track you desire, though. Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
XXXCD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2012, 01:42:12 PM »

If this song was going to be about a baby (as revealed on a separate thread) then maybe it was not intended for the Smile album but for another project ?

« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 01:43:18 PM by lunarjetman » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2012, 10:30:20 PM »

If this song was going to be about a baby (as revealed on a separate thread) then maybe it was not intended for the Smile album but for another project ?

Do you mean the song or the recording from May? The song was likely meant for SMiLE, as there are more songs about childhood and growing up. The May recording was as we all know recorded after SMiLE had been reported as scrapped, so it could be regarded as a discarded Smiley Smile recording, if you will.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Pied Piper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2012, 09:31:29 PM »

Were the whooshing surf sounds surrounding the water chant on the Sunflower album generated by a Moog in the summer of 1970?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2012, 05:27:36 AM »

Believe so.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2012, 06:44:57 PM »

"Dada" was supposed to be about a baby?  Could someone please point me to the thread with this extremely interesting new revelation?!  Thanks!

Love and merci,   Dan Lega
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2012, 07:49:02 PM »

Check Marilyn's anecdotes in your boxset booklet, Dan.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
AJOG
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2014, 12:31:45 PM »

What's weird about this song - the vibe - (and pardon me if I'm not hunched over looking at sessionography)
is that it fits the looser mold of "Can't Wait Too Long". It's got a a lighter vibe, in that same vein.
ned
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2014, 09:30:13 AM »

I know this is a fanmix thing but...

I've had as my 'Elements' suite Bag of Tricks/Fire/Water Chant/Friday Night-Workshop, which was fine but slightly bitty at the end.

Trying to redo this in stereo recently I accidentally partially overlaid the Water Chant on the backing of 'Friday Night (I Wanna Be Around)'. I was stunned. It was like listening to Radiohead (this may be good or bad, depending on your view).

If you want to try the same experiment get the backing of Friday Night and the full bootleg version of the water chant (although I think the other will do). Start with just the 'Water Water...' beginning , then when they go 'woo-oo', bring in Friday Night/IWBA. Then listen. Eeeh, it made the 'airs stand up on the back of me neck.

This is the version I shall keep. I love it.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2015, 11:40:45 PM »

I laughed out loud on that "Take 1 Part 2" call LOL

He sounded like he was in *such* a great mood.  Hard to believe that was basically the end of Smile then.

Or perhaps the album was already dead by January when work shifted to the singles or March when VDP came back just to quit yet again? It's possible he knew it was over by the Dada sessions and that's why he was suddenly so happy...it was a huge weight off his shoulders. I could be completely wrong about this, obviously.

Not sure if this has been discussed anywhere, but I'd like to point out the first minute of disc 4's Cool Cool Water (Version 1).  I did a triple take when Dennis Wilson came in singing the "Da, da, dah dah dah da da da da" part of the vocals!  I'm referring to the part Al sings in the Sunflower (released) version.  I never knew of a recording like this even existing, so it was such an amazing surprise.  There's so many "holy feces" moments listening to the box set... it's truly a beautiful thing.  But how about you guys?  Have you heard the track I'm referring to on disc 4?

Yeah, I love it. A lot of great Dennis moments in this set. At least, more than I was expecting. Tune X was much better than I Don't Know, but as we know Dennis was a fast learner.  Smiley

One of the highlights of the sessions for me. Dennis seemed to be one of the most active. Its no wonder his own work was so amazing.

I also agree. He really must have been just as supportive as his famous quote and Brian's recollections make him out to be. He wrote Little Bird relatively soon after, right? In 1968? Is it possible SMiLE really opened his mind to the possibilities of music and got him inspired enough to try his hand at writing his own? Touching thought.

Perhaps this is already (SMiLE-fanatic) common knowledge, but I was surprised to see in the sessionography that the "Water Chant" vocals were from October 1967. The recording always sounded like something recorded at Wally Heider's studio (which is was, apparently), so this makes sense. However, it has often been said that the chant was a leftover from the SMiLE sessions that the Beach Boys resurrected for "Cool, Cool Water". Now I am under the impression that the chant was always associated with "Cool, Cool Water" (perhaps the SUNFLOWER version sequencing is indeed an accurate representation of how the song might have sounded in late '67). I have no problem with it being used on BWPS and on the new set as an intro to "Dada", but this leaves us with "Fire" only as the one identifiable "element" in the supposed track "The Elements".

That surprised me too when I learned that. I always considered that kind of surreal vocal experiment to be classic SMiLE. Brian was toying with different veggie and water themed chants back in December with the Psychedelic Sounds skits too. And yes, Fire is the only element. All other ideas proposed are complete speculation. It's fun to try to make your own, sure, but ultimately The Elements was only 1/4 finished and will always remain so.

I agree with runners.  "Da Da" occupies a weird space in the Smile story.  The announcement had come out, but I don't think Brian let go quite that easily, and the fact that you can trace earlier incarnations of the song to the "official" Smile period says something (not to mention the water chant connection).

What is up with Brian's voice in the May session?  That is him, right?  During the first day he sounds like he's making fun of himself, or ridiculing the idea of still recording this scrapped album, even though the music being played is beautiful.  It strikes me as the same passive-aggressive attitude I hear in Smiley Smile.

I don't see SS as passive-aggressive. I actually see it as relaxed and silly. Brian was ahead of the game by going back to the basics 6~12 months before everybody else. But unlike everybody else, he never finished a big psychedelic freak out album first. Either way though, I think he was relieved he wouldnt have to deal with the jumbled tedium that SMiLE had become by that point. Of course I'm sure he regretted the decision to scrap it later on, but by then it was too late anyway.

Maybe i didn't read all these posts carefully but someone said it sounded like when brian was calling takes he was having fun.  The thought i have about the dada sessions is that they really show brian not caring as much. It seems to me that he's more apt to just say alright we've done a few takes lets keep it. This  really does seem like a man who just wants to be shot of the whole thing.

Just transitioning into the Smiley approach. Instead of 40 takes to get it right, create a more chilled out funny atmosphere and capture the moment on tape. That's how I see it.

Just for fun, folks...

I agree that Surf's Up ought to be at least the end of one of the sides if not the album. I think OMP too, would have at least closed a side. GV works well as the familiar, guaranteed crowd-pleaser finale for the live show version of SMiLE but doesn't work there in the context of a studio LP.

I think perhaps this song was intended as a B-Side to the potential Veggies single. Food and water. BUT...it really isn't clear. Unlike the Elements, this song is so mysterious BECAUSE we have so much material for it. Was it a water song that became CCW? Or an Innocence song based on the title (it's gotta be at least a play on words) and the wah-wah vocalized crying lyrics? Was it meant for the album, or as a single or a b-side or did Brian already know by then that SMiLE was dead and this was an early candidate for Smiley? Who knows.

I wish they had flown in the flutes from "AirDada" instead of more vocals. Or talking, which Brian says would be there on the All Day session. Would've been a neat idea.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2017, 03:01:00 AM »

Please correct me if I'm wrong but this information from my BB Calendar at my other board is (as far as I know) AGD and Ian approved:

"May 18: Smile '67 gets no further than this third consecutive day of session work on 'Love To Say Dada' at Gold Star."

Another 50th anniversary, albeit a more ominous one...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx