gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:49:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TSS - All things I Love to Say Dada  (Read 49864 times)
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2011, 08:17:12 AM »

IS it CCW??
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 03:44:47 AM by desmondo » Logged

Cheers

Richard
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 07:29:31 PM »

Played this for my wife in the car. Seeing if she noticed any fly-ins. She did not, for the whole album, but in Dada she thought a woman was singing (this being the sped up scat line). I could live without it but don't mind the alternative, since we still got the GV box version to fall back on.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 03:52:09 PM »

-Love the reverb!
-Love how the fly-ins work!! Sounds like they were meant for this!

This may be my favorite of the 19. It's that good to my ears.
trismegistus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 06:00:40 PM »

I dig the flown in vocals, I think they add to the song. This and Worms were always two songs I felt I could've done without, and I'm impressed with both of them on this set.
thevigilanteoflove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 07:38:05 PM »

This is another one that really surprised me. I love the flown in vocals, and the Our Prayer reprise at the end was a really nice touch. It doesn't seem out of place and it brings the whole album full circle before blowing you away with Good Vibrations.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 07:40:37 PM »

I like the new vocals too, they fit well and don't seem forced.  The sound quality is what's really blowing me away, I feel like this track in particular was always so muddy - clear that away and it sounds like it could have been recorded yesterday.
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 10:11:20 PM »

Not sure yet about the flown-in vocals.  But the water chant never really sounded like water to me...until now.  Coming after "Fire", the water chant (without the "Is it hot as hell..." lyrics) sounds like we've jumped underwater to escape the fire.

Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 10:48:24 PM »

And I'm sure I'm not the only one who's noticed the piano track for CCW (CD 4, trk 15) has a piece equivalent to the "Part 3" of Dada that breaks down (CD 4 trk 11).  Then it seems to go in another direction kind of similar to the CCW we know.  Who knows what that might have sounded like with vocals?  There are so many unfinished gems in this band's history!
The Song Of The Grange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 09:27:07 PM »

Any one think that the last piano experiment at the end of the track Heroes and Villains: All Day (Disc 2, track 17) is an early version of the Da Da mystery 3rd part breakdown section (see Love to Say Da Da: Part 2 [disc 4, track 11] at around 1:44). I've always been curious about this, knowing that BW many times would record the first bar or two of the next section of a song in order to help with editing. Check out the Cabinessense sessions for evidence of this (at the end of the verse track he has the musicians crash on the first note of the chorus before stopping). So I've always wondered if BW was laying down the groundwork for a 3rd section that he was going to edit in right at that point. Maybe the end of the All Day track is evidence of this 3rd section, or maybe not.

In general, I am surprised to see the All Day/Da Da takes from Dec '66. I didn't know the song was around that early. Apparently it spent some time in the H&V orbit (just like half the songs on the album!).
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 09:44:37 PM »

I love the flyins on Dada. The bass vocals are already at a different speed, so it's part of the feel.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 09:51:15 PM »

Any one think that the last piano experiment at the end of the track Heroes and Villains: All Day (Disc 2, track 17) is an early version of the Da Da mystery 3rd part breakdown section (see Love to Say Da Da: Part 2 [disc 4, track 11] at around 1:44). I've always been curious about this, knowing that BW many times would record the first bar or two of the next section of a song in order to help with editing.
yep, seems like dada was going to have a child is the father of the man refrain... leading right into surf's up perhaps?
Will C.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 09:56:12 PM »

Not sure if this has been discussed anywhere, but I'd like to point out the first minute of disc 4's Cool Cool Water (Version 1).  I did a triple take when Dennis Wilson came in singing the "Da, da, dah dah dah da da da da" part of the vocals!  I'm referring to the part Al sings in the Sunflower (released) version.  I never knew of a recording like this even existing, so it was such an amazing surprise.  There's so many "holy sh*t" moments listening to the box set... it's truly a beautiful thing.  But how about you guys?  Have you heard the track I'm referring to on disc 4?

puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 10:30:53 PM »

yeah

listening to part 2 of dada sessions pretty much confirms that it was suppose to have cool cool water vocals

track 10 0:42, brian humming a melody
track 11 1:37, you hear brian bleeding through with "da da da da, driiink a little, da da da da"
0:30, you hear a remnant of "coolin so cool coolin me" being played by the organ
track 13 1:00, guitar on left channel is a remnant of "onnn and onnn she go dum bee doo da"

« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 10:38:50 PM by talahrama » Logged
Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 11:03:18 PM »

Is it just me or does the mix of the 2nd day recording, the airy one with the flutes, sound much better on SOT?

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 07:46:44 AM »

Quote from: Jasper mix of the 2nd day recording, the airy one with the flutes, sound [i
much[/i] better on SOT?

I don't know but I keep listening to TSS and then wondering if a certain bit was or was not on SOT or elsewhere in the past.   I suspect that this will be a topic for some time to come.  The so called "fly ins"  confuse me even more when trying to sort things out.  Still, right now, I am just simply playing my new Beach Boys record.   And it sounds just fine. Smiley
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 08:16:43 AM »

Not sure if this has been discussed anywhere, but I'd like to point out the first minute of disc 4's Cool Cool Water (Version 1).  I did a triple take when Dennis Wilson came in singing the "Da, da, dah dah dah da da da da" part of the vocals!  I'm referring to the part Al sings in the Sunflower (released) version.  I never knew of a recording like this even existing, so it was such an amazing surprise.  There's so many "holy feces" moments listening to the box set... it's truly a beautiful thing.  But how about you guys?  Have you heard the track I'm referring to on disc 4?

Yeah, I love it. A lot of great Dennis moments in this set. At least, more than I was expecting. Tune X was much better than I Don't Know, but as we know Dennis was a fast learner.  Smiley
Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 08:17:24 AM »

All I post here is to be seen in the context that I absolutely love the new SMiLE boxset.
Not to diss the work of the people involved in any way.
But please listen to this comparison, first from 'Secret SMiLE' (not SOT sorry) and then the same bit from the official product. You hear what I mean?

listen here MP3

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 09:42:40 AM »

So can someone identify for me who is calling the slates for the "Da-Da" session?  It's certainly not Chuck Britz and it's obviously not Brian.  Is it James Hilton?

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 10:38:22 AM »

I laughed out loud on that "Take 1 Part 2" call LOL

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 12:10:43 PM »

All I post here is to be seen in the context that I absolutely love the new SMiLE boxset.
Not to diss the work of the people involved in any way.
But please listen to this comparison, first from 'Secret SMiLE' (not SOT sorry) and then the same bit from the official product. You hear what I mean?

listen here MP3

thanks for sharing that.   Sounded clearer on the second bit.  Did I miss something?
The Song Of The Grange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 04:54:04 PM »

yeah

listening to part 2 of dada sessions pretty much confirms that it was suppose to have cool cool water vocals

track 10 0:42, brian humming a melody
track 11 1:37, you hear brian bleeding through with "da da da da, driiink a little, da da da da"
0:30, you hear a remnant of "coolin so cool coolin me" being played by the organ
track 13 1:00, guitar on left channel is a remnant of "onnn and onnn she go dum bee doo da"

I could hear the melody being hummed on track 10--very interesting. I couldn't make out the track 11 bleed through.

I find talahrama's comment on Da Da track 13 to be very interesting because I have never made the connection before that the intro to the Smiley Smile version of With Me Tonight seems to be related to the Da Da/Cool Water idea. I'm always finding new ways that Smiley Smile sneaks in Smile material.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2011, 02:03:28 AM »

I love the flyins on Dada. The bass vocals are already at a different speed, so it's part of the feel.

Srsly? Don't recall hearing this, and they don't sound slowed down.

Also, kind of annoyed that the session for this doesn't have the vocal. No stereo "Da Da" for us Sad

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2011, 07:53:40 PM »

I laughed out loud on that "Take 1 Part 2" call LOL

He sounded like he was in *such* a great mood.  Hard to believe that was basically the end of Smile then.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2011, 08:16:07 PM »

Not sure if this has been discussed anywhere, but I'd like to point out the first minute of disc 4's Cool Cool Water (Version 1).  I did a triple take when Dennis Wilson came in singing the "Da, da, dah dah dah da da da da" part of the vocals!  I'm referring to the part Al sings in the Sunflower (released) version.  I never knew of a recording like this even existing, so it was such an amazing surprise.  There's so many "holy feces" moments listening to the box set... it's truly a beautiful thing.  But how about you guys?  Have you heard the track I'm referring to on disc 4?

Yeah, I love it. A lot of great Dennis moments in this set. At least, more than I was expecting. Tune X was much better than I Don't Know, but as we know Dennis was a fast learner.  Smiley

One of the highlights of the sessions for me. Dennis seemed to be one of the most active. Its no wonder his own work was so amazing.
The Demon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2011, 05:44:34 AM »

-Love the reverb!
-Love how the fly-ins work!! Sounds like they were meant for this!

This may be my favorite of the 19. It's that good to my ears.

This was definitely my favorite part of the box set.  It's too bad it developed so slowly, because it sounds like another masterpiece that could have been, instead of a transition piece.  I love how it sort of evolves that "H&V" feel that mutates across "Worms," "Holidays," "Vega-Tables," and "Wind Chimes," but also includes nods to the whole "Child"/"Surf's Up" section.  Really, it makes as much sense (if not more) as a closer than "Surf's Up," but it didn't seem as obvious before.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx