gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:40:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: TSS - All things Mrs O'Leary's Cow  (Read 27724 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2011, 01:49:30 PM »

Hip cred? Yep. No question the boys across the pond would have dug it.

What, now?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
armona
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2011, 03:43:36 PM »

Hip cred? Yep. No question the boys across the pond would have dug it.

What, now?

Nyet.

If it had seen the light of day back in '67 with vocals like this.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 03:44:54 PM by Tune X » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2011, 07:13:52 PM »

More watting @ "hip cred?"

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2011, 02:08:42 PM »

This is a true story.
Yesterday while driving I had Mrs O'Leary's Cow aka Fire playing on my car stereo at a pretty high volume .Whilst in the process of turning left at an intersection out of nowhere came two fire trucks blaring their VERY LOUD horns at me causing me to swerve out of the way and nearly have an accident.
The hairs on the back of my neck were up for the rest of the day!  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

"I loaned you money when the funds weren't too cool"

"The ocean scares me."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1976
armona
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2011, 02:18:20 PM »

This is a true story.
Yesterday while driving I had Mrs O'Leary's Cow aka Fire playing on my car stereo at a pretty high volume .Whilst in the process of turning left at an intersection out of nowhere came two fire trucks blaring their VERY LOUD horns at me causing me to swerve out of the way and nearly have an accident.
The hairs on the back of my neck were up for the rest of the day!  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Bad vibes man, bad vibes  Wink Glad you're safe.
Reverend Rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2011, 08:52:15 AM »

This is a true story.

Don't tell Brian!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2012, 12:51:02 PM »

Love this track. Anyone ever dismisses the BB's as just some safe surfing throwaway pop group, just whack this on! I also really like that little bonus track at the end of CD 4 - creepy! When i first saw the sessions box tracklisting i was disappointed at the lack of Fire tracks, but of course several of the H&V tracks are in fact Fire tracks in all but name, in particular CD 1, track 6 and CD 1, track 30.
Paulos
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2012, 07:59:12 AM »

Love this track. Anyone ever dismisses the BB's as just some safe surfing throwaway pop group, just whack this on! I also really like that little bonus track at the end of CD 4 - creepy! When i first saw the sessions box tracklisting i was disappointed at the lack of Fire tracks, but of course several of the H&V tracks are in fact Fire tracks in all but name, in particular CD 1, track 6 and CD 1, track 30.

I think you mean CD2 tracks 6 & 30.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2012, 01:13:05 PM »

Yes i do.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2013, 09:37:28 PM »

As I found out during the Beach Boys Survivor threads, this song is very underrated. I love it! It's an essential centrepiece from Smile, and it just wouldn't be the same without it!
Grayhands
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2014, 07:44:35 PM »

As I found out during the Beach Boys Survivor threads, this song is very underrated. I love it! It's an essential centrepiece from Smile, and it just wouldn't be the same without it!

Totally agree, it adds a dark undertone to the final suite and feels perfect as kind of a wind up to the last two tracks. I showed my dad this track in the car one day and he said it was like a nightmare.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 10:41:05 PM by Grayhands » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2014, 05:19:14 PM »

Totally agree, it adds a dark undertone to the final suite and feels perfect as kind of a wind up to the last two tracks. I showed my dad this track in the car one day and he said it was like a nightmare.

True. Which makes it unbelievable to me that it's not one of the more popular SMiLE tracks!
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2015, 10:04:39 PM »

It's a very creative and powerful piece of music.  I'd love to know what the other Elements tracks would have sounded like.

In my mind, the only properly finished Smile track is "Good Vibrations".

All the other Smile tracks (including the released versions of Heroes & Villains, Cabinessence and Surf's Up) were editied after Brian's meltdown in 1967 and are therefore not 100% authentic Smile era. 

Assuming that "The Elements:Part One" is an instrumental (possibly with a vocal overdub) it is probably the next most authentic Smile track. Makes me think that a properly finished album would have been mind-blowing (and much better than the approximation of half-completed tracks that survive today).

Agreed. I think CE was supposed to have the Reconnected Telephones chant over the first chorus but that's not possible to do anymore so it will never be 100%. And that's supposed to be one of the most finished SMiLE tracks. H&V never would have had that Bicycle Rider chorus originally. SU as we all know, is missing that legendary second half of the backing track. The Fire section of The Elements is more or less complete but the entire Elements track is perhaps the single most incomplete of the entire SMiLE Era.

For an album called SMiLE, it sure doesn't fit overall theme.  I never understood the point of this song being on the album in that context.  Listen to it while you look at the cover - it makes no sense!  This song would certainly have not appealed to young teenage girls in 1967 who expected Barbara Ann or Help Me Rhonda again. Evil

That being said, of course I love it!  This song would fit nicely in a King Crimson show. 

Thats the beauty of it, though. It's such a lovely mish mash of so many feelings and ideas. It's what makes it so fascinating--and it can fit together in so many ways in spite of it. I actually have to wonder then, if perhaps The Elements was to come at or near the beginning of SMiLE? That really would have made people look at the cover, consider all they knew of the Beach Boys up to that point and really bring on the "WTF?!!?" Would perfectly demolish all preconceived notions brought on by the band's image up to that point and by the happly little cover.

Pondering this idea further...What if Prayer was supposed to be the intro, Worms the first track (like on the capitol list and as some posters here have said) then the Taxi Cabber skit where they talk about Chicago...(see where this is going?)...and then Fire as the Great Chicago fire? Amazing. Someone HAS to try that sequence out or I will. I think that'd be a fantastic way to draw the listener in and completely take them by surprise and make them feel every emotion possible in just a few minutes so they'd never know what to expect the rest of the LP.

I love the fly-ins here as well. The only ones in TSS that work, I'd say.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx