gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:14:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TSS - All things Holidays  (Read 65409 times)
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2011, 04:06:34 AM »

Has anyone edited together a good Holidays that does not have the vocals at all?  The cross-fade into Wind Chimes makes it more complicated, but I assume this isn't too difficult with the session track being available.
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2011, 05:21:54 AM »

I made a mono mix with the fade out from the sessions disc, folded down and faded out. And also a stereo version, edited out the sessions track, with a fade out. I'll make a disc full of this sort of mixes and will post it here later.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2011, 08:37:50 AM »

I made a mono mix with the fade out from the sessions disc, folded down and faded out. And also a stereo version, edited out the sessions track, with a fade out. I'll make a disc full of this sort of mixes and will post it here later.

I'd love to hear that!
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2011, 12:14:44 PM »

It's finally great to be able to hear this track with good quality sound, but despite how much  I love Smile I must confess I don't really think much of Holidays at all. It just seems unmemorable and generic to me. I'd like to think that with vocals (not the BWPS version), my mind would be completely changed, but we'll never know. I've tried mashing it up with DYLW, but never to any satisfactory result. For me, it just doesn't rise to the level of the rest of the material- even the other unfinished stuff like CIFOTM. Anyone else share my opinion of this track?

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2011, 12:40:48 PM »

Yeah, totally generic. Everyone can write something as good as "Holidays".

OWAIT.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2011, 02:11:32 PM »

Perhaps, but it would still be a lot better without the Whispering Winds "vocals," which don't exist anywhere in nature.

Unfortunately, the fly-in corrupts both Holidays and Wind Chimes.  Has anyone managed to reconstruct these in mono?
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2011, 02:15:57 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siW43SXk2Ac&feature=related
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2011, 04:43:43 PM »

I understand what you're saying -- it's frustrating to see the amount of bitching over this product.  Check the Hoffman board, where things have degenerated into almost complete negativity.

But I've generally avoided it myself, because I think TSS is amazingly well-done.  Whispering Winds is my main beef, followed by the woo-woos after Worms.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2011, 08:19:10 PM »

I understand what you're saying -- it's frustrating to see the amount of bitching over this product.  Check the Hoffman board, where things have degenerated into almost complete negativity.

But I've generally avoided it myself, because I think TSS is amazingly well-done.  Whispering Winds is my main beef, followed by the woo-woos after Worms.

It wasn't directed at you. I just recalled the scene and was looking desperately for any place to put it!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2011, 09:15:49 PM »

Holidays is a) remarkably similar to Dada in terms of chords, if you're being some kind of arsehole and dismissing it on purist grounds, and b) a masterpiece of arrangement. You can't f*ck with it.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2011, 11:54:34 AM »

Hi lunarjetman,

The following link begins with the clip from the "holidays" rehearsal in question. It's Brian demonstrating the rhythm on a piano, and though it's very indistinct my initial reaction was to hear "Waving Indians behind 'em..." (the full madness is contained on the "Worms" thread).

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/20/800088//holidaysvocaldemonstration.mp3

You'll need to listen close to hear it, but if it helps the word to listen out for is "Iiindians" (the first syllable is emphasised). Be interested to know what you think.

(Oh, and weird little piece of SMiLE coincidence... on the famous Capital tracklist, DYLW worms actually heads into Wind Chimes, so maybe there was a transistion planned there from the beginning...?)

I took a listen to this again yesterday. I've probably been influenced by the news concerning Frank Holmes' "Holidays" illustration, but I'm now thinking that the bit of lyric Brian is singing is "...and Liliuola Kalani will sing to me".
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2011, 04:02:08 PM »

Hi lunarjetman,

The following link begins with the clip from the "holidays" rehearsal in question. It's Brian demonstrating the rhythm on a piano, and though it's very indistinct my initial reaction was to hear "Waving Indians behind 'em..." (the full madness is contained on the "Worms" thread).

You'll need to listen close to hear it, but if it helps the word to listen out for is "Iiindians" (the first syllable is emphasised). Be interested to know what you think.

(Oh, and weird little piece of SMiLE coincidence... on the famous Capital tracklist, DYLW worms actually heads into Wind Chimes, so maybe there was a transistion planned there from the beginning...?)

I took a listen to this again yesterday. I've probably been influenced by the news concerning Frank Holmes' "Holidays" illustration, but I'm now thinking that the bit of lyric Brian is singing is "...and Liliuola Kalani will sing to me".

I'm assuming you mean Queen Liliuokalani, the last monarch of Hawaii.  Was deposed by a U.S.-backed coup led by business interests.  She was also a well-known songwriter.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2011, 10:03:58 AM »

Hi lunarjetman,

I'm assuming you mean Queen Liliuokalani, the last monarch of Hawaii.  Was deposed by a U.S.-backed coup led by business interests.  She was also a well-known songwriter.

Of course - sorry about the misspelling, by the way. She is represented in Frank Holmes' illustration for the song and Mr. Holmes' claims he based the illustration (completed in 1996) on lyrics provided to him by Mr. Parks. Brian is definitely singing something in the background during the '66 session highlights...it could very well be this line.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2011, 12:25:36 PM »

Hi lunarjetman,

Of course - sorry about the misspelling, by the way. She is represented in Frank Holmes' illustration for the song and Mr. Holmes' claims he based the illustration (completed in 1996) on lyrics provided to him by Mr. Parks. Brian is definitely singing something in the background during the '66 session highlights...it could very well be this line.

Funny, I either missed or forgot about the illustration, but I hear plenty about Queen Liliuokalani, since I live in Honolulu.  Of course, Parks didn't live in Hawaii, so it's interesting that his lyrics reflected it to this degree.
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2011, 08:54:04 AM »

I'm not that tech savvy, so I usually don't edit tracks myself. However, like monicker said when TSS were first released, there are a number of digital artifacts on this track, mostly annoying popping and clicking. I can hear these things especially well during the "Whispering Winds" vocals at the end.

I actually like the fly ins on this track. The Whispering Winds section was one of my favorite bits from BWPS. I may be in the minority, but I do like them here as well. However, I could do without all the clicks and pops. They are particularly audible at 2:18 and 2:24. Has anyone done a version of this track in mono, with the Whispering Winds vocals, but without the clicks?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 03:57:41 PM by Scott M » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2011, 12:45:49 AM »

I can't really hear the clicks. and I like the whispering winds vocals in BWPS. but on TSS they're pitch-shifted and don't sound very nice. I don't mind any of the other fly-ins.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2011, 09:16:13 AM »

I love disc one; pretty much the entire album approximation. It all sounds beautiful to me. Love the fly-ins. But I do hear a few clicks in Holidays and a hiss in the chorus of Cabin Essence. Undecided I know in the Cabin Essence thread people have spotted the hiss. Maybe the clicks on Holidays are just on my copy.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2011, 09:00:24 PM »

"Indian wisdom..."
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2011, 11:02:47 AM »

Well? Am I right or am I right?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2012, 06:06:42 PM »

Well? Am I right or am I right?

huh

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2012, 08:23:50 PM »

Any luck cracking this nut? Can the audio genius do any sort of isoation on what Brian is singing?
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2012, 07:59:53 AM »

Any luck cracking this nut? Can the audio genius do any sort of isoation on what Brian is singing?

Oh, so you think Brian is singing "Indian Wisdom..."?

The last couple of times I listened to the "Holidays" sessions, it still sounded like "...Liliuokalani will sing to me...".

Since Frank Holmes has said he based the "Holidays" illustration on lyrics Van Dyke gave him (probably in '66 along with the other lyrics he received then), it's not too much of a stretch to assume some of the BWPS' "On A Holiday" lyrics were vintage '66 work. Holmes said he returned all of the lyric sheets in 2003, in time for them to be reviewed by Van Dyke and Brian as they prepared BWPS.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2012, 11:59:58 AM »

I dunno. I'm pretty sure I hear the word "indian"...maybe even twice.

"NUH LIVE IN AN INDIAN MOW MOW...

NUH INDIAN WISDOM!"

Since this is the "chorus" I'm not sure the BWPS format quite adds up.
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2012, 10:53:21 AM »

Random thought here, but I always thought Al Jardine would be a great vocalist for this song. I remember seeing an article linked to on Wikipedia where Van Dyke claimed that the lyrics to this song are vintage 1966, but that they were never recorded. The article has since disappeared though, and a quick Google search hasn't brought up anything.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2012, 11:18:40 AM »

Random thought here, but I always thought Al Jardine would be a great vocalist for this song. I remember seeing an article linked to on Wikipedia where Van Dyke claimed that the lyrics to this song are vintage 1966, but that they were never recorded. The article has since disappeared though, and a quick Google search hasn't brought up anything.

According to Frank Holmes, the lyrics for Holidays were given to him in 1966.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,11738.0.html

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx