gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:21:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TSS - All things Holidays  (Read 65403 times)
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2011, 08:15:58 AM »

Pirate Rap

Cheers

Richard
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 02:24:30 PM »

wouldn't it be funny if they unearthed a lost reel of Mike singing the pirate rap? I know it didn't get written til the BWPS sessions, but Mike's voice would be perfect/hilarious on it. we already know what his megaphone voice sounds like from Student Demonstration Time.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 03:42:57 PM »

So awesome to hear the clarity of this. Still has that "old" whimsical feel as well.

My god, that ending  Shocked
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 10:36:19 PM »

I'm surprised they didn't attempt to fly in the Plymouth rock vocals during the chorus. Or maybe they tried, but they couldn't get it to work. It'd be an interesting experiment.
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 03:31:50 AM »

Brian playing it on the piano and singing an original melody? Sick! You can't hear much though

Edit: wow, I actually heard the melody now. It's really cool!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 03:33:11 AM by homeontherange » Logged
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 09:02:43 PM »

I can hear the melody too. Very nice. Only the second half of the chorus, though.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 09:58:39 PM »

I'm surprised they didn't attempt to fly in the Plymouth rock vocals during the chorus. Or maybe they tried, but they couldn't get it to work. It'd be an interesting experiment.
different chords i think, wouldn't fit in key either
theCOD
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 08:59:39 AM »

I've finally come around to the Whispering Winds vocals. I've always thought pitch-shifting this part made it sound like they were singing with cotton balls in their mouth, but something clicked and I'm really enjoying this track today, so I'm happy for that.

I'm surprised they didn't use the first version on UM 18 (track 14) like BWPS. Anyone here ever tried syncing that?
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 12:14:13 PM »

I guess there were no actual lyrics intended for this song until BWPS?  That is one of my favorite parts from BWPS.
WELL, I guess they are all favorite parts......just this one came up w/o lyrics here.  Still, there are more lyrics included/flown in than I had imagined before the release.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 02:08:45 AM »

The "Whisperin' Winds" vocal tacked on and manipulated to all hell should not have been on an official mix of the song. That's not on principal, it just sounds awful and there is no way for it to not sound awful considering it's in an entirely different key.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 02:10:39 AM »

I'm surprised they didn't use the first version on UM 18 (track 14) like BWPS. Anyone here ever tried syncing that?

It probably is that vocal, just comically slowed down.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 06:56:24 AM »

Just listened to it, it was one of my fave moments on smile, they just killed it...they should have flown in the harpsichord bit with the vocals and get rid of the marimba backing track for this particular bit.
theCOD
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 08:23:20 AM »

It probably is that vocal, just comically slowed down.

I'm pretty sure they used the wrong vocals. Check it: http://youtu.be/c-fVFwpXNm4. The first part is what they used on TSS, the second was used on BWPS.

Probably wouldn't have sounded good, but maybe better.
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 09:13:41 AM »

I've actually took 30 minutes and a couple of tracks to re-do this tag with cubase, added a little time correction for the harpsichord part and added a little reverb and EQ, it sounds pretty cool to me and there's a lot of chance I'll use it when I'll do my own mix. Feel free to PM
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 09:18:14 AM by Bleachboy » Logged
Jeff29754
Smiley Smile Newbie

Who Made My Moonshine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 05:44:39 PM »

OK, i know this is gonna be somewhat controversial, but how many of you spotted vocals that are VERY new to some of these tracks ? .. by NEW, i don't mean previously unheard 60's vocals, i means vocals that have been added/overdubbed within the last 18 months by (suspected) Brian's great touring band.

Check out the "wind chimes fade on track 15 for just one of many examples !

The Number One Beach Boys Group On Yahoo.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thenearestfarawayplace/

My Facebook Beach Boys Page.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/164300436930709/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2011, 07:56:47 PM »

Ummm....I'm not so sure about that.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2011, 08:16:38 PM »

OK, i know this is gonna be somewhat controversial, but how many of you spotted vocals that are VERY new to some of these tracks ? .. by NEW, i don't mean previously unheard 60's vocals, i means vocals that have been added/overdubbed within the last 18 months by (suspected) Brian's great touring band.

What you're hearing is pitch shifting, not a new recording.  If they were going to do that, why stop there?  Why not add some lead vocals and more backgrounds while they were at it?  It just doesn't add up.
Jeff29754
Smiley Smile Newbie

Who Made My Moonshine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 12:26:06 PM »

What you're hearing is pitch shifting, not a new recording.  If they were going to do that, why stop there?  Why not add some lead vocals and more backgrounds while they were at it?  It just doesn't add up.

Or why not be in denial about the possibility of new vocals being added ?

The Number One Beach Boys Group On Yahoo.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thenearestfarawayplace/

My Facebook Beach Boys Page.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/164300436930709/
XXXCD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 12:49:19 PM »

Is the current thinking that "Holidays" is a track in it's own right- or a section of another song ?

It's not on Brian's original Smile track list ?

There is speculation on the Worms thread that a session exists where he is apparently singing Worms vocals from the control booth (not sure there this is, can anyone tell me ?)

There is also the "Whispering winds" melody present in the 2011 reslease which makes me wonder if Holidays is a wind chimes session ?

Anyone know Huh?
The_Holy_Bee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2011, 01:22:50 PM »

Hi lunarjetman,

The following link begins with the clip from the "holidays" rehearsal in question. It's Brian demonstrating the rhythm on a piano, and though it's very indistinct my initial reaction was to hear "Waving Indians behind 'em..." (the full madness is contained on the "Worms" thread).

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/20/800088//holidaysvocaldemonstration.mp3

You'll need to listen close to hear it, but if it helps the word to listen out for is "Iiindians" (the first syllable is emphasised). Be interested to know what you think.

(Oh, and weird little piece of SMiLE coincidence... on the famous Capital tracklist, DYLW worms actually heads into Wind Chimes, so maybe there was a transistion planned there from the beginning...?)
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2011, 01:25:29 AM »

Hi lunarjetman,

The following link begins with the clip from the "holidays" rehearsal in question. It's Brian demonstrating the rhythm on a piano, and though it's very indistinct my initial reaction was to hear "Waving Indians behind 'em..." (the full madness is contained on the "Worms" thread).

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/20/800088//holidaysvocaldemonstration.mp3

You'll need to listen close to hear it, but if it helps the word to listen out for is "Iiindians" (the first syllable is emphasised). Be interested to know what you think.

(Oh, and weird little piece of SMiLE coincidence... on the famous Capital tracklist, DYLW worms actually heads into Wind Chimes, so maybe there was a transistion planned there from the beginning...?)

Those chords sound like Love To Say Da Da
XXXCD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2011, 06:50:02 AM »

Thank you.

I can't hear it on my first few listens (but then again I don't have headphones).

Are there any clever people out there who can amplify his voice and filter down the piano somehow ?? It could be quite a discovery if what you think he is singing turns out to be correct.

What is the source of this track ? Not sure I have ever heard it before ? Ok.. I know where it's from now !
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 06:21:24 AM by lunarjetman » Logged
The Demon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2011, 03:06:42 PM »

Aside from the brief vocal bit, that rehearsal routine pretty much proves "Whispering Winds" was part of the song back then, no?  Brian plays that vocal melody on piano, just like you hear on the SOT vol. 18 box.
theCOD
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2011, 05:32:36 AM »

Here's a stereo mix I did with vocals from track 14 on UM 18. Not too shabby.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/4/2/1848930/Holidays.mp3
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 07:55:36 AM by theCOD » Logged
XXXCD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2011, 06:23:35 AM »

Aside from the brief vocal bit, that rehearsal routine pretty much proves "Whispering Winds" was part of the song back then, no?  Brian plays that vocal melody on piano, just like you hear on the SOT vol. 18 box.

I would have thought so, and as the lyrics (on Smiley Smile at least) mention "Wind Chimes" then you might assume that Holidays and Wind Chimes are components of the same track Huh But who knows. 
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx