gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:56:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: TSS - All things Wind Chimes  (Read 34001 times)
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2011, 12:28:19 AM »

And then the blatant pitch shifting at the end to try to match the Brian Wilson Presents version.

This is the only part I don't dig. I always think about it, cause it sounds so bad. One of the vocals sings the chromatic riff, but starts at the wrong note, creating new harmonies that I don't think were in Brian's mind. Mark and Alan may not have the best musical ears.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2011, 04:11:20 AM »

I don't think there's any pitch shifting going on, merely pasting vocals into an alternate version of the chorus that is constructed the same as the final chorus on BWPS. I know I've heard that last chorus as it is here sans vocals somewhere before, as I remember finding it and being surprised that it wasn't an 03 invention.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 04:12:11 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2011, 05:33:04 AM »

I don't think there's any pitch shifting going on, merely pasting vocals into an alternate version of the chorus that is constructed the same as the final chorus on BWPS. I know I've heard that last chorus as it is here sans vocals somewhere before, as I remember finding it and being surprised that it wasn't an 03 invention.

Yeah, it's probably just pasted, but some of the notes don't fit. I didn't like it in JMZs mix and I'm not keen on it here either. This is actually the only thing I get irritated with when listening to cd 1.
TheManchesterMan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2011, 01:58:08 PM »

There definately isn't any pitch shifting going on. Also the notes do fit (until a beat or two before the end, which is why they suddenly drop out). The difference is that in the other choruses they come in with the first part of the vocal "Doo(G) doo(A) ooh(D)" followed by the second "Doo(F) doo(G) ooh(A)" part then both parts are repeated. The final chorus starts with the second part and finishes with the first. Perhaps that is what sounds odd to your ears but it's not been manipulated.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 05:14:11 AM by TheManchesterMan » Logged
sly74
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2011, 02:00:01 PM »

There definately isn't any pitch shifting going on. Also the notes do fit (until a beat or two before the end, which is why they suddenly drop out). The difference is that in the other choruses they come in with the first part of the vocal "Doo(G) doo(A) ooh(D)" followed by the second "Doo(F) doo(G) ooh(A)" part then repeated. The final chorus starts with the second part and finished with the first. Perhaps that is what sounds odd to your ears but it's not been manipulated.

You are right my friend, thank you. Evidently I was being fooled by my ears. The sudden drop out and the reversing of the 1st/2nd parts is what got me. A "doh!" is appropriate here.
Mac the Hat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2011, 01:09:15 AM »

This has always been my favourite smile song. The first part is nothing too special, but jeez, when the massive vocals and horns come in, I challenge any spine not to get a tingle.

I'm too find the percussion a little distracting, but I can live with it

I love my Carl, I love my Brian, my Dennis and my Al. I could even find it in my heart to love Mike Love

(Belle and Sebastian)
TerryWogan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2011, 06:24:58 AM »

Anyone else had a go at synching the piano/harpsichord version? I just made a quick 'n' dirty attempt for my own amusement; sounds OK. The timing differences vary slightly throughout the track, so it'd take a bit of chopping and moulding to get it perfect.
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2011, 04:41:37 AM »

I've done it in stereo, sounds great. I've kept the vocals in their original pitch, and put the backing track a half step higher. Sounds cool.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2012, 07:43:36 AM »

I don't have any issues with the mixing on this track - think it sounds great. However I do love the alternate backing track (track 4, cd 4), those chord changes are just so beautiful.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2015, 09:07:50 PM »

I've done it in stereo, sounds great. I've kept the vocals in their original pitch, and put the backing track a half step higher. Sounds cool.

I realize I'm over 3 years late here, but should you or anyone else more talented than I whose done this be up for posting their work online I'd be most appreciative.

I do miss the music box fade, but I actually like the percussion. Is that Brian beatboxing in the background? Whatever is making it that sound, it's a perfect example of how Brian was trying to add some goofiness/childishness to some of the songs. Like the yodeling on "Wonderful", the doy-ing sounds on "Cabinessence", and the arrest bit on "Heroes and Villains". This is Brian's idea of humor.

I love all of it. It's what really helps set the music apart in my opinion. Ties into the goofiness of the cover and silly song titles incredibly well. Fits the psychedelic experience too with the disconnected yet connected feelings all at once. However, I'm not sure what you mean by beatboxing. Like...the vocals in the chorus in general?

For my money, the percussion is great but I also prefer the piano fade. I think this is one of the most underrated tracks on the album, and I seem to be in the minority in thinking it blows the Smiley version out of the water and that it fits well with the Cycle of Life songs.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 09:14:03 PM by Mujan, B@st@rd Son of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2015, 09:48:09 PM »

For my money, the percussion is great but I also prefer the piano fade. I think this is one of the most underrated tracks on the album, and I seem to be in the minority in thinking it blows the Smiley version out of the water and that it fits well with the Cycle of Life songs.

I prefer the SMiLE version, too, except for the Smiley Smile "whispering winds" part, unless you consider the fade of "Holidays" to be part of "Wind Chimes".

There is something else I find ironic about "Wind Chimes". Most fans, including me, absolutely consider it an integral part of SMiLE; it fits musically, it fits the mood, it fits the atmosphere, it's a no brainer. But consider it's origins.

Some people don't like to include "Good Vibrations" on SMiLE, the lyrics being of the reasons, although there's others. But look at "Wind Chimes". I'm paraphrasing a bit here, but I remember reading Brian saying that, "I was looking at (or listening to) some wind chimes, and I thought I'd write a song about wind chimes." And yet we like to attach so much meaning to many of the songs and try to make this perfect fit/match/mix. When all along, there was no meaning behind "Wind Chimes". Brian just thought it would be cool to write a song about them! Cheesy   
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2015, 10:05:16 PM »

I don't understand the "Wind Chimes" or "Good Vibrations" "doesn't fit" the Smile album theories. The lyrics are all over the place in any form of the album you could conceive of. Yeah, a few sets of songs have slight common themes, but not much, and not enough to exclude the likes frigging "Good Vibrations", which was absolutely intended for the album.

Folks're too rigid with their interpretations of Smile and its lyrics, the album title, etc. To me, there's a huge amount of freedom in those songs and sessions and lyrics, and the idea of being so strict with it just doesn't make sense. "A song entitled 'Our Prayer' belongs on an album called Dumb Angel, but not Smile!" "'Surf's Up' is waaay too dark for an album called Smile!" "There isn't even a lyric about worms in the song titled 'Do You Like Worms?' JEEZ!" To me, that sort of thinking doesn't jive with what Smile was.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 10:09:44 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2015, 10:12:56 PM »

I don't understand the "Wind Chimes" or "Good Vibrations" "doesn't fit" the Smile album theories. The lyrics are all over the place in any form of the album you could conceive of. Yeah, a few sets of songs have slight common themes, but not much, and not enough to exclude the likes frigging "Good Vibrations", which was absolutely intended for the album.

Folks're too rigid with their interpretations of Smile and its lyrics, the album title, etc. To me, there's a huge amount of freedom in those songs and sessions and lyrics, and the idea of being so strict with it just doesn't make sense. "A song entitled 'Our Prayer' belongs on an album called Dumb Angel, but not Smile!" "'Surf's Up' is waaay too dark for an album called Smile!" "There isn't even a lyric about worms in the song titled 'Do You Like Worms?' JEEZ!" To me, that sort of thinking doesn't jive with what Smile was.

I completely agree with you.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
}{eywood
Smiley Smile Associate

That's OK. I'll fix it in post.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2021, 08:09:32 AM »

...I seem to be in the minority in thinking it blows the Smiley version out of the water and that it fits well with the Cycle of Life songs.

That bunch of disconnected weirdness on Smiley isn't even a song to me.  THIS is Windchimes.  THAT is an abomination

Also, speculation on whether GV was meant for the album?  I think it being printed on the cover 3 times would be a clue.  This is the 60s equivalent of a "Contains the hit single Good Vibrations!" sticker on the shrink wrap
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 08:15:04 AM by }{eywood » Logged

We likes you, Brian Wilson.  We likes you, Dennis Wilson.  We likes you, Carl Wilson.  We likes you, Al Jardine.  Hell we even likes you, Al Jarreau.  But f*** you, Mike Love.  f*** you, Mike Love

Having a hard time finding the MQR Ear to Ear Expansion lossless?  Look here: https://mega.nz/folder/rpwyxYRS#QOUzKBal0pwye0hqS5zDpQ
sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2021, 10:40:01 AM »

...I seem to be in the minority in thinking it blows the Smiley version out of the water and that it fits well with the Cycle of Life songs.

That bunch of disconnected weirdness on Smiley isn't even a song to me.  THIS is Windchimes.  THAT is an abomination

Also, speculation on whether GV was meant for the album?  I think it being printed on the cover 3 times would be a clue.  This is the 60s equivalent of a "Contains the hit single Good Vibrations!" sticker on the shrink wrap

No need for speculation - "This LP will include Good Vibrations" -Brian Wilson in 1966 on Smile
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx