gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:26:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TSS - All things Vegatables  (Read 52460 times)
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 06:46:30 AM »

Speaking of the Vega-Tables demo, does anybody else's copy have a bad skip at 59 seconds in?

Mine is fine.
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 08:58:37 AM »

Speaking of the Vega-Tables demo, does anybody else's copy have a bad skip at 59 seconds in?

Mine is fine.

And mine

Cheers

Richard
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2011, 09:32:03 AM »

I this Vega-Tables is a really key track.

There's a lot to be written on this, but I think you see -- across the stretch of the Smile sessions -- a conscious move by Brian away from the session guys and toward a very stripped down instrumental sound.

Vega-Tables is mainly a piano, some bass and percussion. Almost nothing else. The vocals do incredibly elaborate things, of course, but it's a real shift from the Spector-styled H&V verses. You can see how Smiley Smile was not a departure at all -- it was a logical extension of a approach that Brian had been working on for months.
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2011, 01:35:53 PM »

Holy sh*t, is Mike doing lead on the verses of this version?

Mike: I'm gonna be 'round my vegetables, I'm gonna chow down my vegetables
Brian: I like you most of all...
Mike: My fav-o-rite vegetable!

Never noticed it before, thought it was all Brian, but I'm 99.99999999999% sure that's Mike now.
I've actually always thought that they both were signing all the lines simultaneously, especially on "I" of the second line, I really hear two different voices (if you don't count the other twelve I have in my head)
tony p
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2011, 02:11:50 PM »

this is my first time hearing the mix of this track

if one of todays "super producers" like Timbaland came out with something like this, he'd be heralded as cutting edge, or leading the way.

BW was doing this back in 67 - AMAZING

I gotta heart that just wont stop beating for you, I gotta love that just can’t stop feeling for you
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2011, 07:03:52 AM »

This new mix of Vegetables is absolutely incredible. One of the highlights of The SMiLE Sessions for me.

+1

+2

Cheers

Richard
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2011, 07:06:05 AM »

I have to say one of the most amazing things on the box set is CD4 track 1 - VT Fade - never heard that before and just amazing orchestration - has an H&V feel to it IMHO - somethign for my roll your own

Cheers

Richard
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2011, 10:06:28 AM »

I have to say one of the most amazing things on the box set is CD4 track 1 - VT Fade - never heard that before and just amazing orchestration - has an H&V feel to it IMHO - somethign for my roll your own

Agreed - I hadn't either, but it's just an amazing piece of music.  You hit the nail on the head, the version they start out with on that track is very cinematic, in a very "Heroes" kind of way.
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2011, 10:38:15 AM »

No mention so far of the "Vega-Tables" on the 45 in the box -- it's a completely different mix than the disc one "album" version.

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2011, 10:26:23 AM »

No mention so far of the "Vega-Tables" on the 45 in the box -- it's a completely different mix than the disc one "album" version.

Right, like the "stereo mix", it eliminates the opening piano notes and starts right with lead vocal...and throws in the "roll all around, make a hole in the ground" vocals right after the first "my favorite vegetables" line! The "going to bust the buttons right off of my shirt" vocal shows up during the scat vocal section just prior to the "candy bar" verse. Personally, I think this second line would sound better coming after the second "my favorite vegetables" line, but it was fun to discover these nonetheless.

I'm thrilled that we finally have a fully realized SMiLE version of this song complete with both "Sleep A Lot" choruses and the fade out. For me, it's the biggest success on the new box.

Also, those backing vocals on the demo version (the ones flown in to the 45 single cut) are among the most amazing things I've heard the Beach Boys do vocally. I really wish we could have had a track devoted to the recording session of them. Have the sessions survived?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 10:27:33 AM by Roger Ryan » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2011, 02:38:01 AM »

Also, those backing vocals on the demo version (the ones flown in to the 45 single cut) are among the most amazing things I've heard the Beach Boys do vocally. I really wish we could have had a track devoted to the recording session of them. Have the sessions survived?

The "dig a hole in the ground"/"buttons right off of my shirt" vocal, to my ears, transformed into the little laughing ascending/descending thing going on in the 2nd verse ("I'm gonna keep well...") of the final. Maybe I'm wrong.

I'm sure the multitrack for this one exists given how different the mix sounds to the mix we had before. I doubt the vocal session for this is terribly fascinating. I thought about this earlier, wishing we had stuff like the vocal attempts for the Pet Sounds album until realizing the only reason we have so many attempts at these little acapella bits etc. was due to the nature of the Smile sessions - sections and all that. The "Vege-Tables" demo wasn't recorded as such, though, just a single instrumental take with vocals over it.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2011, 08:59:10 AM »

So far the CD 1 version of Vegatables is a highlight of the set for me.  Love it.

"Jeff, you care." --BW
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2011, 10:51:47 AM »

You also have to remember that Brian was in the habit, although obviously not exclusively, of starting the tape over after each take of vocals - iirc, that's the reason Mark and Alan give for there being no Pet Sounds vocal sessions, besides the Al and Mike IKTAA takes. That could explain some of the omissions.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Reverend Rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2011, 06:54:47 PM »

this is my first time hearing the mix of this track

if one of todays "super producers" like Timbaland came out with something like this, he'd be heralded as cutting edge, or leading the way.

BW was doing this back in 67 - AMAZING

Virtually everything I've heard in the last 10 years that has been hailed as "cutting edge" is, in fact, SMiLE influenced.  And yes, I'd say this is the best ding-dang-ding-dang-a-ding-dong "Vega-Tables" I've ever heard.  Great editing job.
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2011, 02:26:17 AM »

The more I listen to it the more I feel that Mark Linnett and Alan Loyd messed up. It's a lousy performance on their part and it's disrespectful to BW.

The tempo is off, doesn't sound "tight". And it's way too long.

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2011, 09:52:47 AM »

The more I listen to it the more I feel that Mark Linnett and Alan Loyd messed up. It's a lousy performance on their part and it's disrespectful to BW.

Well, since you've only been a fan for three months, perhaps you'd have a different perspective coming to this point over a few decades. In the 60s, 70s and 80s, "Vegetables" on SMILEY SMILE was all that was out there. It was fun, but reportedly there was an earlier SMiLE version that was bigger in scope. In 1993, the GOOD VIBRATIONS BOX SET included an attempt at a SMiLE edit which resulted in a very loose, not very convincing version including a very improbable crossfade to the "Fade To Vegetables" section. With the bootleg SOT releases we began hearing different backing tracks cut for the "Sleep a lot" sections that sounded more interesting than just that piano banging away. The BWPS version felt more together, but ended abruptly to make for a smooth transition into "On A Holiday".

So, finally, with TSS we have a version that tightens up the main piano/bass backing track and vocals (realistically, these were only going to be so tight since Brian was well on his way to his less precise, sloppier SMiLEY SMILE approach) plus the new version incorporates the "sleep a lot" choruses complete with both backing tracks and figures out a way to elegantly move into the must-have "Fade To Vegetables". For me the TSS "Vega-Tables" is the version I've waited over 30 years to hear.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2011, 10:59:33 AM »

I think putting in that fast take of "Do A Lot" is what messes the flow of the song up. It just doesn't fit the tempo. My version would using that rough piano take of "Do A Lot" from the Good Vibrations box set for the first round of the chorus, and I'd cut out the repeating "I know that you'd feel better..." verse, going straight from the acapella take to the outro. I'd also try to get that weird ice cream truck sounding overdub onto the first half of the song.
Reverend Rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2011, 06:47:07 PM »

...For me the TSS "Vega-Tables" is the version I've waited over 30 years to hear.

That might just sum up my feelings as well.  The more I hear this version, the more I love it.  I certainly don't feel like it's in any way an insult to Brian.  And apparently, Brian didn't think so either.  After all, these new masters all had to pass his approval.
trismegistus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2011, 07:27:35 PM »

For me the TSS "Vega-Tables" is the version I've waited over 30 years to hear.

Agreed, and adding that this version is possibly the Smile song I've been waiting for, as I have to say it's the real high point of the album. And considering how good the versions of Surf's Up and Worms and Dada are (and, really, just about all of the tracks except possibly Great Shape are excellent), that's high praise, I'd say. A perfect second single for an incredible album.
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2011, 01:33:43 AM »

Well, since you've only been a fan for three months, perhaps you'd have a different perspective coming to this point over a few decades. In the 60s, 70s and 80s, "Vegetables" on SMILEY SMILE was all that was out there. It was fun, but reportedly there was an earlier SMiLE version that was bigger in scope. In 1993, the GOOD VIBRATIONS BOX SET included an attempt at a SMiLE edit which resulted in a very loose, not very convincing version including a very improbable crossfade to the "Fade To Vegetables" section. With the bootleg SOT releases we began hearing different backing tracks cut for the "Sleep a lot" sections that sounded more interesting than just that piano banging away. The BWPS version felt more together, but ended abruptly to make for a smooth transition into "On A Holiday".

So, finally, with TSS we have a version that tightens up the main piano/bass backing track and vocals (realistically, these were only going to be so tight since Brian was well on his way to his less precise, sloppier SMiLEY SMILE approach) plus the new version incorporates the "sleep a lot" choruses complete with both backing tracks and figures out a way to elegantly move into the must-have "Fade To Vegetables". For me the TSS "Vega-Tables" is the version I've waited over 30 years to hear.

That is a very good outline. I didn't really put it in that perspective. The problem for me was that I was basically expecting the BWPS-version with the 67-vocals.

And when it isn't that tight (and so long).....

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
armona
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2011, 12:25:38 PM »

As Roger pointed out, that solution for getting the Fade to Vegetables tag in there is a nice one. Cool how they followed the ending of the Smiley version, then added the fade after "insert (part 4)" Smiley
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2011, 08:55:47 AM »

The tempo change of the first chorus is jarring. Again, I don't understand why that take was used.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2012, 08:29:00 AM »

Before I begin, I just want to say that I LOVE the SMiLE boxset and I think it's a brilliant, well-made, expertly put together set, full of hevenly goodies - HOWEVER, I was I've got to admit disappointed with the Vegetables sessions tracks, namely because their seemed to be quite a lot missing, stuff that I'd been really looking forward to hearing on an official release. Where were the takes of Marilyn singing? Where was the gorgeous chiming instrumentation, as heard breifly on the fade of the Smiley Smile version? I've heard demos online of this section that were terrific and was surprised they weren't on the box. (Also, re Cabin Essense - would also have liked to have heard Dennis' chant in isolation. But hey, sure everyone's got things they would've liked to have been on the box that weren't included... But you gotta moan a little bit eh?)
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2012, 11:26:43 AM »

The tape containing Brian's attempt at overdubbing the keyboard/xylophone part onto the fade of the SMILEY SMILE "Vegetables" is actually missing from the archives (one of the few known to be stolen outright since excerpts appear on the bootleg SOT SMiLE sessions). Reportedly, the producers did include the occasional bootleg-sourced element in the new set for completion's sake, but chose not to do so for the "Vegetables" sessions. This tape being missing is another reason why the overdub has not been included in any remixes, stereo or otherwise.

As to "Truck Drivin' Man" vocal - I believe the only version that exists is the one already mixed into the 20/20 master. It can only be isolated electronically which I presume the producers felt was not suitable fidelity-wise to include in an official set.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 11:28:25 AM by Roger Ryan » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2012, 01:13:06 PM »

The tape containing Brian's attempt at overdubbing the keyboard/xylophone part onto the fade of the SMILEY SMILE "Vegetables" is actually missing from the archives (one of the few known to be stolen outright since excerpts appear on the bootleg SOT SMiLE sessions). Reportedly, the producers did include the occasional bootleg-sourced element in the new set for completion's sake, but chose not to do so for the "Vegetables" sessions. This tape being missing is another reason why the overdub has not been included in any remixes, stereo or otherwise.

It's not a case of a multi-track missing, rather it was a Brian overdub simultaneously added to the mono mix (as appears on the original "Smiley Smile" album version). 
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx