gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:51:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TSS - All things Vegatables  (Read 52451 times)
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2011, 08:14:55 AM »

Is that Paul?

Cheers

Richard
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 08:27:33 AM »

Just saw this

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/390607_10150889554070037_640195036_21402177_1360120222_n.jpg

Cheers

Richard
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 08:29:58 AM »

I *DO find myself confused by Vegatables.  I mean, what makes them different from a fruit?  Fruit always taste so sweet, and watery, and juicy, but vegatables are always so dry, and bland, and sometimes bitter even.  Don't give me that nonsense about them being a root, either, because roots are WHERE a plant gets it's water, they ought to be juicy. 
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 10:05:19 AM »

I've never personally liked vegetables myself. Guess I can save my postage that would've went to Brian  LOL

For the mix on TSS (one of the few I've heard...I'm trying to be a good American here  Tongue) I really dig it. It sounds like something Brian would have come up with during SMiLE. Especially like "Sleep a lot" being the chorus in particular followed by the tag (dig that uke/banjo?)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »

Huh?  There's a version on there where Sleep a Lot is the chorus?  Dammit is it going to be on the 2cd set?  I want to hear that but I'm not taking the big plunge on the big box. 
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 12:17:11 PM »

I *DO find myself confused by Vegatables.  I mean, what makes them different from a fruit?  Fruit always taste so sweet, and watery, and juicy, but vegatables are always so dry, and bland, and sometimes bitter even.  Don't give me that nonsense about them being a root, either, because roots are WHERE a plant gets it's water, they ought to be juicy. 
There is no scientific difference between fruits and vegetables. It's a culinary (and in some cases legal) distinction.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 01:21:44 PM »

I was being half hearted but good to know.  I guess that would explain why Lettuce is a vegatable but it grows above the ground.  lol.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 01:38:41 PM »

Huh?  There's a version on there where Sleep a Lot is the chorus?  Dammit is it going to be on the 2cd set?  I want to hear that but I'm not taking the big plunge on the big box. 

Sleep a lot is the chorus for the disc 1 version so yes.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 02:09:34 PM »

Very cool.  So they deviate from the BWPS more than we first thought, I suppose?
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 03:56:58 PM »

Very cool.  So they deviate from the BWPS more than we first thought, I suppose?

From what I've heard from the people on the board here, it is the case for a few tracks.
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 07:17:22 AM »

What's the deal with the Vega-Tables Demo? Even though I have tons of SMiLE boots, this didn't seem familiar at all...there's even different lyrics!
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 02:34:52 PM »

I too am curious about the Veggies Demo - basically the same as the Cornucopia Demo on the Archeology Lost SMiLE Sessions boot but with additional lyrics and vocals. Has the Veggies Demo on TSS been bootlegged anywhere before?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 06:07:33 PM »

I too am curious about the Veggies Demo - basically the same as the Cornucopia Demo on the Archeology Lost SMiLE Sessions boot but with additional lyrics and vocals. Has the Veggies Demo on TSS been bootlegged anywhere before?

It's the Cornucopia version. I've heard this before, but in much worse quality. You likely heard an incomplete mix or something.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 10:25:18 PM »

Thanks but where has that particular version of the Veggies "Cornucopia" Demo been bootlegged previously? Its not the same version as on the Archeology boot and to my knowledge the Archeology boot was the first commercial source of the Cornucopia Demo.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 11:56:17 PM »

Thanks but where has that particular version of the Veggies "Cornucopia" Demo been bootlegged previously? Its not the same version as on the Archeology boot and to my knowledge the Archeology boot was the first commercial source of the Cornucopia Demo.

Don't know offhand - what vocals etc. are missing on the Archeology mix? I know I have this somewhere.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 12:02:53 AM »

Awright, the Archeology version is the same recording as this version, but a different mix. All vocals etc. are present in both mixes as far as I can tell.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 12:04:54 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 12:07:56 AM »

Holy sh*t, is Mike doing lead on the verses of this version?

Mike: I'm gonna be 'round my vegetables, I'm gonna chow down my vegetables
Brian: I like you most of all...
Mike: My fav-o-rite vegetable!

Never noticed it before, thought it was all Brian, but I'm 99.99999999999% sure that's Mike now.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 12:15:18 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 01:19:20 AM »

Brief botany lesson.

Fruits all contain seeds and have 3 different layers - the exocarp, mesocarp and endocarp, with the seed inside the endocarp. A drupe is a fruit in which the mesocarp is fleshy and the endocarp is hardened into a stone (the exocarp being the skin of the fruit). If you crack the stone open, you will find the soft seed inside. A good example would be peaches, plums and indeed, olives.

The thing about all fruits is that they have their seeds on the inside. The strawberry has little 'pips' on the outside which non botanists think are the seeds, but are actually the fruits - if you open them, the seeds inside are tiny, and look like little more than dust. The big, red squashy thing that you eat is not derived from any part of the flower's ovaries, which it needs to be to qualify as being part of the fruit - it's a swollen receptacle, which is the bit that the ovaries sit on, and it's the ovaries that go to form the fruit, which is why they are on the outside. They are known as 'false fruits' or 'spurious fruits'.

Bananas are fruits, even though they don't appear to have seeds inside. Wild bananas do have large seeds, but the ones we buy have been bred with tiny, shriveled seeds.

And while we're at it, tomatoes, cucumbers, squashes, gourds, pumpkins and peppers are all fruits, not vegetables, whatever your greengrocer tries to tell you. Whilst pineapples and rhubarb are vegetables, not fruits.

And, unlike fruit, there is no scientific definition of a vegetable.
John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 01:38:21 AM »

This new mix of Vegetables is absolutely incredible. One of the highlights of The SMiLE Sessions for me.

"It's more blessed to give than receive"

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 03:13:17 AM »

Awright, the Archeology version is the same recording as this version, but a different mix. All vocals etc. are present in both mixes as far as I can tell.

I've taken a much closer listen to the Archaeology Demo and you are right the vocals are there but they much, much, much lower in the mix, in fact the first ones which occur at 0.30 on TSS Demo are almost inaudable on the Archaeology set. The Archaeology Demo sounds like its from a very hissy acetate.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 12:17:51 AM »

Never noticed it before, thought it was all Brian, but I'm 99.99999999999% sure that's Mike now.

Hey... you may be right!

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 05:15:40 AM »

This new mix of Vegetables is absolutely incredible. One of the highlights of The SMiLE Sessions for me.

+1
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2011, 08:02:25 PM »

Hey... you may be right!

Yep, I didn't notice this until I read it on the main board a few months back.  I believe it was AGD who mentioned it, and I couldn't believe it, but then I listened and, lo and behold, there's Mike.  It's perfectly in line with Brian's love of vocal handoffs during this time - he'd do the same thing with "Heroes" a few months later, as heard on the box.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2011, 12:17:16 AM »

Hey... you may be right!

Yep, I didn't notice this until I read it on the main board a few months back.  I believe it was AGD who mentioned it, and I couldn't believe it, but then I listened and, lo and behold, there's Mike.  It's perfectly in line with Brian's love of vocal handoffs during this time - he'd do the same thing with "Heroes" a few months later, as heard on the box.

It's confirmed in the liner notes as well. "Lead vocal: Mike and Brian"

I never spotted that! Mike on such a sloppily played track - heading for Smiley Smile already!

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2011, 01:41:26 AM »

Speaking of the Vega-Tables demo, does anybody else's copy have a bad skip at 59 seconds in?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx