gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:09:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TSS - All things Surf's Up  (Read 89829 times)
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2011, 12:59:51 AM »

I just noticed that Carl's version he sings "a diamond" and in Brian's versions he sings "the diamond." Important stuff.  Smokin

No mas, por favor.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2011, 10:06:08 AM »

I just noticed that Carl's version he sings "a diamond" and in Brian's versions he sings "the diamond." Important stuff.  Smokin

Always noticed that, too - both Brian takes are "the". Surprised this wasn't picked up on in 2004 and used, albeit while recognizing some would consider it trivial.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2011, 05:13:07 AM »

well, that obviously means that Carl was the one singing it wrong.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2012, 12:58:01 PM »

Every day, I start growing more and more convinced that "Talking Horns" is the second movement. The length of the lyrics fits perfectly.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2012, 01:52:26 PM »

Every day, I start growing more and more convinced that "Talking Horns" is the second movement. The length of the lyrics fits perfectly.

I made a VERY poor bash at this - it works in some sections (about 3 seconds in total)
http://soundcloud.com/frederickjamesfrench-pounce/surfs-up-2-movements

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
sly74
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2012, 05:29:31 AM »

I made a VERY poor bash at this - it works in some sections (about 3 seconds in total)

Could you re-up this? I'm curious to hear it.
SgtTimBob
Smiley Smile Associate

Music Maker Extrodonaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2012, 05:47:13 AM »

One of my favourite moments from TSS. It's hard to pick a favourite song, because there's just so much to love, but this is definitely in the top three (along with Heroes and Villains and Wonderful).

On the subject of the simplicity of part two, I really like the bleakness. It gives a nice contrast to part one and really accentuates the layers that suddenly wash over everything at the end after 'a children's song.' I love that beautiful ending coming in after that brief moment of loneliness. That bass part is from another planet, the harmonies are just incredible and Brian soaring over everything just blows my mind every time.

Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2012, 05:51:08 AM »

I concur!  I gave it a quick whirl myself and am curious to see if our experiments are in any way similar.  If they are it would show that it's not just one of us imagining it but two separate guys, isolated from each other, seeing possibilities, which carries a little more weight.  As it stands, I just THINK I hear something that kinda makes sense but feel like I could be completely off base.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 06:39:33 AM by Phoenix » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2012, 01:25:30 PM »

I concur!  I gave it a quick whirl myself and am curious to see if our experiments are in any way similar.  If they are it would show that it's not just one of us imagining it but two separate guys, isolated from each other, seeing possibilities, which carries a little more weight.  As it stands, I just THINK I hear something that kinda makes sense but feel like I could be completely off base.
I third it, I'd love to hear it

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2012, 06:44:06 PM »

4th, after reading "Glimpses" the whole talking horns part is so much more interesting!

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2012, 08:57:44 PM »

Oh crap, I missed it too lol.

RE-UP PLZ!  Tongue
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2012, 01:40:45 PM »

4th, after reading "Glimpses" the whole talking horns part is so much more interesting!
really? I've had that on my Amazon Wishlist for a while, wondering if I should get it or not...not heard a lot of talk of it on here.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2012, 05:24:54 AM »

Okay, so I was alerted about this from a PM, and didn't realise the interest I'd missed!

I've dug it out - it's not brilliant, and it was pre-my acquisition of the Vocals only surfs up, so the second half has reverbed piano (I OOPS the main lot of it out though.) I haven't actually bothered modifying since, but, y'know, maybe...

Surf's Up (2 movements): http://www.mediafire.com/?aa94dhe10hjhqbi Okay, that appears to be dead...

try this: http://www.4shared.com/mp3/_KWBIlYi/38_Surfs_Up__2_Movements_.html?

Notes to say: I left the Brian talking (closer to the mic...) in since it fitted, and when it begins Talking Horns there is a sudden click or two. This really was a rough try, but it may inspire some others to do a far better job!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 12:29:02 PM by mrmoustachioto » Logged

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2012, 11:02:37 AM »

Thanks for taking the time to share this with us again.  I agree, it has its moments where it does work its way in there and as it happens, it inspired a few new mental images for me when listening.  As you say, this was a quick job and I find myself wondering how things might turn out after a very considered musical effort.

Whether or not this lends any clues as to Brian's intentions, well, I suppose 'God Only Knows.'

Thanks again.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 26, 2012, 01:37:19 AM »

Yes!  Thanks for the re-up.  Just when you think you've explored every possible Smile theory...  Like I said earlier, at least I know I'm not the ONLY one to chase the cat up this particular tree.  It certainly makes you wonder if two, unrelated, isolated individuals could hear the possibilities...  What about the rest of you?  Do you think it's possible it's what or part of what Brian may have had in mind or considered at one point?
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2013, 12:06:46 PM »

No way would Brian sabotage his song like that.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2013, 04:50:04 PM »

This.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2014, 01:00:13 AM »

I only just realized this when listening to TSS Surf's Up yesterday. I'm not sure if everyone else has but I'll say it anyway.

I noticed how Brian sang the whole song - except for the first "Canvass The Town And Brush The Backdrop" which I noticed was Carl singing from the 1971 version of Surf's Up. Wonder if this was intentional or a mistake?
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2014, 01:15:33 PM »

Brian did not sing this line on either the solo demo track he did during the SMiLE sessions nor on the version he cut during the WILD HONEY sessions. It appears he intended the line to only be sung once following the second verse. By the time Carl cut the vocal for the '71 version, he included the line after the first verse as well. Since the '71 version became the official release, both the band and Brian have included the line after the first verse during live performances. Likely, Carl's vocal on the line was included on the compiled TSS version because that's the way the song has been heard for forty years.
sly74
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2014, 04:15:42 PM »

Brian did not sing this line on either the solo demo track he did during the SMiLE sessions nor on the version he cut during the WILD HONEY sessions. It appears he intended the line to only be sung once following the second verse. By the time Carl cut the vocal for the '71 version, he included the line after the first verse as well. Since the '71 version became the official release, both the band and Brian have included the line after the first verse during live performances. Likely, Carl's vocal on the line was included on the compiled TSS version because that's the way the song has been heard for forty years.

Brian's original plan was to have a string passage there. One can only imagine how beautiful it would have been.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2014, 12:09:58 AM »

Brian's original plan was to have a string passage there. One can only imagine how beautiful it would have been.

Where'd you read this?

I also like that Carl not only included the melody from the original '66 demo, but also the '67 Wild Honey sessions variation. The guy really wanted to get this song right and do his brother's work justice. Thanks, Carl. ^_^

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
sly74
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2014, 11:50:18 AM »

Where'd you read this?

I have been trying to remember myself. I believe it was on Steve Hoffman's forum but as to specifically who is was,etc. If there isn't hard proof out there, it makes perfect sense to me and the discussion that was had included a lot of good points. Given there were pages upon pages in those threads, it'd be tough find it. I'm not a member there anymore either. I will keep thinking though.  Smiley
AJOG
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2014, 12:38:40 PM »

If you believe the conventional thinking, BW sabotaged a whole bunch of 'em on "Smiley Smile".
 Undecided
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2014, 06:44:06 AM »

Where'd you read this?

I also like that Carl not only included the melody from the original '66 demo, but also the '67 Wild Honey sessions variation. The guy really wanted to get this song right and do his brother's work justice. Thanks, Carl. ^_^
What do you mean by including the 67 Wild Honey sessions variation?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2014, 10:34:54 AM »

Where'd you read this?

What do you mean by including the 67 Wild Honey sessions variation?

The '66 demo and the 67' Wild Honey sessions versions of "Surf's Up" contain a difference in the melody on the "Canvas the town and brush the backdrop" part, in the second verse. When Carl did the '71 version and put that part in the first verse, he used the lower Wild Honey melody for the first verse and the melody from the '66 demo in the 2nd.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx