gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:58:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TSS - All things Child is father ......  (Read 97303 times)
XXXCD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2011, 01:05:55 PM »

Love to know what a completed version would have sounded like in 1967.

There's obviously a lot of lyrics missing, and perhaps another melody, which will never be heard.
GeorgeFellInHisHorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2011, 03:00:25 PM »

Has anyone here managed to isolate the chorus vocals? (both new and old)

I would love to hear that, but i don't know how to really go about trying to isolate vocals from a mono mix without an identical instrumental version or some sort of sound-spectrum software (similar to the one used for a Good Vibrations stereo mix that one smiley smiler here put together)

sly74
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2011, 04:07:08 PM »

I would love to hear that, but i don't know how to really go about trying to isolate vocals from a mono mix without an identical instrumental version or some sort of sound-spectrum software (similar to the one used for a Good Vibrations stereo mix that one smiley smiler here put together)

I second this. Would be a thrill to hear them alone. 
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2011, 06:12:58 PM »

I used SonicWorks, and it went pretty well, CIFOTM was weird though, its much rougher then GV (obviously) and it didn't sound good enough to exclamate on.

Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2011, 07:33:43 PM »

For what it's worth, a quick "pull open SonicWORX for 20 minutes and see what the options are" test sounded very thin and unremarkable. And, granted, that's not a lot of time to spend in an app like that, but compared with a similar test, some Good Vibrations extractions sounded sterling.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 07:35:38 PM by Austin » Logged
armona
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2011, 07:52:31 PM »

The Child choruses sourced from acetates IIRC, so it'll probably be a challenge to get something that sounds great. Good luck though.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 07:54:25 PM by Tune X » Logged
Tristero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2011, 04:33:16 AM »

I enjoy the new version here pretty well, particularly with the new vocals, but it feels a little bit choppy and rushed to me.  I wish they would have taken it at a more leisurely pace.  If they were going to include that bit at the beginning, I wish they would have followed the Sea of Tunes model, including that ascending/descending bass line bit before going into the piano and horn part.  We'll see what the fanmixers come up with now. . .
Reverend Rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2011, 08:48:47 AM »

It's nice to have an "official version" of "Child Is Father Of The Man", but I think it could have been done more interestingly.  I hammered together a version on my sound forge several years ago that is still my favorite.  There are so many nice little pieces in the "Child" sessions, and several of my favorites are missing from the finished version on the new set.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2011, 11:06:41 PM »

'zit me, or is the chorus take with the high "ahh"s not anywhere on the box? Sad

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
sly74
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2011, 08:10:44 AM »

'zit me, or is the chorus take with the high "ahh"s not anywhere on the box? Sad

They're in the first chorus but to me it sounds like the eq caused much of that to be 'scooped' out. Have to listen really close, or perhaps do some lower mid boosting. I haven't tried it yet myself. Maybe someone else can give more insight.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2011, 08:27:01 AM »

I thought it was the chorus take without the high "ahh"s that isn't there.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2011, 11:00:05 AM »

I actually thought the chorus is a newly mixed version with both vocals included!
sly74
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2011, 09:53:07 PM »

I actually thought the chorus is a newly mixed version with both vocals included!

That may it. With the more sparse "child..the child" version up front. In that case, the one with the high notes and ethereal "ahhs" is there but buried(and the best!)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2011, 01:15:56 AM »

I doubt it mixes both versions, as they seemingly don't have the multitracks for that and there'd be hella phasing etc. if they attempted this. Srsly, I don't hear the "ahh"ness. Fuckin' it'd be cool to make a fan mix, but in this case, you'd have one pristine chorus and one obscenely skanky sounding one. AH BALLS.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
sly74
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2011, 10:04:21 AM »

I doubt it mixes both versions, as they seemingly don't have the multitracks for that and there'd be hella phasing etc. if they attempted this. Srsly, I don't hear the "ahh"ness. f*ckin' it'd be cool to make a fan mix, but in this case, you'd have one pristine chorus and one obscenely skanky sounding one. AH BALLS.

May have to agree to disagree, I'd swear I hear it in there. And speaking of being phasy, while it isn't, it does sound wonky. Not as much presence as the sections that precede or follow. Something weird there cause at least on the boots they are much more 'there', with both versions.  Can anyone else provide their thoughts on this?
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2011, 05:27:42 PM »

I doubt it mixes both versions, as they seemingly don't have the multitracks for that and there'd be hella phasing etc. if they attempted this. Srsly, I don't hear the "ahh"ness. f*ckin' it'd be cool to make a fan mix, but in this case, you'd have one pristine chorus and one obscenely skanky sounding one. AH BALLS.

May have to agree to disagree, I'd swear I hear it in there. And speaking of being phasy, while it isn't, it does sound wonky. Not as much presence as the sections that precede or follow. Something weird there cause at least on the boots they are much more 'there', with both versions.  Can anyone else provide their thoughts on this?

Yes I hear the "ahhh"s as well, although as you said, they're not as prominent as they used to be on the boots. 
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2011, 10:26:43 PM »

I now relistened and found the high aaahs only in the second run-through of the chorus after the bridge.

Pied Piper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2012, 10:33:05 AM »

There's something I heard on the internet long before the box set came out that they didn't have or didn't use. It was a 1:53 track of Child Is Father Of The Man, the section found on the box set disc 3, track 16, but with some staccato "shivery" strings, maybe cellos, in the left channel. Perhaps it was an overdub that they mixed out for the box, but it was pretty neat. Has anyone else noticed this?
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2012, 10:50:50 AM »

I can hear the strings in the CITFOTM sessions on the box, but its lower in the mix.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2012, 09:41:55 AM »

Yeah, the cello part is included in an early run-through on "Version One", but it sounds like Brian decided not to include it on later takes.
XXXCD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2012, 01:40:45 PM »

Do people think that completed lyrics ever existed for this track ?
I don't mean that lyrics were necessarily recorded, but that maybe they were once written down somewhere ?
Pied Piper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2012, 10:28:44 PM »

Yeah, sure enough, turned it way up and heard it. For some reason it worked a lot better on the vintage mix from... wherever it came from.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2012, 10:32:43 PM »

Do people think that completed lyrics ever existed for this track ?
I don't mean that lyrics were necessarily recorded, but that maybe they were once written down somewhere ?

According to VDP there were lyrics. But I have no clue whether they were completed, written down, both or neither.

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2012, 12:01:09 PM »

Have Alan or Mark given us more of a details about where they found the acetate with the extra chorus vocals? This is a story I would like to hear.
over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2012, 12:32:40 AM »

Have Alan or Mark given us more of a details about where they found the acetate with the extra chorus vocals? This is a story I would like to hear.

Same here. I'd like to hear the whole acetate as well.

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx