gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:09:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TSS - All things Wonderful  (Read 55598 times)
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2011, 08:12:33 AM »

Yep

Cheers

Richard
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 10:07:15 AM »

Only thing changed was the yodeling but what a great addition to put back in. That was a revelation when I heard in Purple Chick's mix.
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 02:46:18 PM »

Disappointed. The restrained vocals are worse than Brians shot voice on the 2004 version.  Sad

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 02:48:20 PM »

Disappointed. The restrained vocals are worse than Brians shot voice on the 2004 version.  Sad

That's a bold statement....
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 03:24:46 PM »

I think you accidentally purchased Smiley Smile.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 03:28:01 PM »

well there's only one word to describe "wonderful" and it's .......well I forgot..oh yeah "wonderful" is the word I'm looking for..
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 03:35:58 PM »

.....and I love the 2004 version. This is not an improvement IMO Sad

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 07:50:02 PM »

Had you never heard the Brian harpsichord version before?  I'm asking in all seriousness - if you loved the 2004 version, I don't see how you couldn't like this.  It's virtually identical, except the vintage vocals sound miles better.  What's not to like?
thevigilanteoflove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 07:53:14 PM »

It's Mike's favorite, and for good reason. It's a beautiful track with wonderful lyrics. The Yodeling vocals are fantastic. I've always thought that if any song off of SMiLE could have been on Pet Sounds, simply from a stylistic standpoint, it would be Wonderful. Maybe not lyrically, but the song is very melodic and beautifully sung. Would have sounded great right before God Only Knows.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 07:56:50 PM »

It's Mike's favorite, and for good reason. It's a beautiful track with wonderful lyrics. The Yodeling vocals are fantastic. I've always thought that if any song off of SMiLE could have been on Pet Sounds, simply from a stylistic standpoint, it would be Wonderful. Maybe not lyrically, but the song is very melodic and beautifully sung. Would have sounded great right before God Only Knows.

It seems that all the Boys liked this one - during one of the "Our Prayer" session excerpts, they are practically begging Brian to work on "Wonderful" that same session, even though he tells them there isn't another session scheduled for a couple of days.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 02:33:24 AM »

FWiW I think its too busy, and the yodelling isn't necessary. I doubt Brian would have included it at the time.

I would have loved to have heard a vocal applied to the version with the fuzz bass and ride cymbal (version 3?), but without the 'rock with me Henry' vocal which is annoying and a bit crap.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
adam78
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 02:39:05 AM »

i think this new mix is the best yet. love the yodelling put back in. i remember hearing this song years ago in poor quality and thinking the backing vocals were a trumpet or something. once i finally heard them properly, just one of the best examples of him using the voice as an instrument. love it!...
...although, as with anything on smile, the fact he was still working on different versions to the end, who knows what the final track would have been like?
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 10:17:58 AM »

Had you never heard the Brian harpsichord version before?  I'm asking in all seriousness - if you loved the 2004 version, I don't see how you couldn't like this.  It's virtually identical, except the vintage vocals sound miles better.  What's not to like?

Yea I heard it before but only in poor sound quality. I dislike the vocals, how restrained they are and how he doesn't hold out the notes in the "one one wonderful life" - part.

I think you accidentally purchased Smiley Smile.
That I did too actually  Cheesy

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 12:24:22 PM »

I like the way they have sorted and sequenced these pieces on the album...wonderful, child, surfs up.....

I was sort of expecting some of the more traditional mixes as the one with  Carl such as on the Surfs Up album where child is a tag on Surfs Up...still is...sort of.

These songs which were the middle section of BWPS are so nice done this way.  I am surprised but in no way disappointed.

I can't wait to get home today and listen to some more.  I haven't even gotten past the second disc yet.  The lps are still in the paper.  And I have to get some new headphones.
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 07:08:51 AM »

Wonderful is one of the sandbox songs and unlike H&V and CE and many other modular songs it is a piece in itself - lots of chord changes thoughout - like Surf's Up

IMHO one of the top SMiLE tunes

Cheers

Richard
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 07:33:20 AM »

Oh man, I also think this is the best version of Wonderful. The yodeling is perfect, and is just what the track needs. I don't understand the sentiment of Brian's vocal being restrained or whatever? I mean this is basically the GV93 boxset version in better quality with added yodeling. Beats the living heck out of the Smiley Smile and BWPS versions IMO.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 04:38:44 AM »

Never noticed the 'yodeling' during the 'yore the lady who' until the backing vocals montage.

fucking perfection is what it is

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
GeorgeFellInHisHorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 06:42:27 AM »

Never noticed the 'yodeling' during the 'yore the lady who' until the backing vocals montage.

friging perfection is what it is

Wonderful in the backing vocals montage legitimately blew my mind.  Brian's Trip  Especially the main line, which sounds to me like Mike. (Can someone confirm that for me?)

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2011, 02:13:31 AM »

Yea I heard it before but only in poor sound quality. I dislike the vocals, how restrained they are and how he doesn't hold out the notes in the "one one wonderful life" - part.

You're either listening to the wrong version or you're somehow confusing the BWPS version with the '66 version. The BWPS take sounds particularly nasty due to Brian being doubled by Jeff Foskett, which is total blasphemy.

Wait - are you Jeff Foskett, by chance?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
The Demon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2011, 07:29:12 AM »

With all the complaining about pitchshifted/fly-in vocals, it's funny to listen to the Smiley version of "Wonderful," with the cartoon/helium voices.  A similar sound on something Brian did.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2011, 03:41:49 PM »

With all the complaining about pitchshifted/fly-in vocals, it's funny to listen to the Smiley version of "Wonderful," with the cartoon/helium voices.  A similar sound on something Brian did.

Except there it was intentional and used for effect. For about three seconds.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
The Demon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2011, 04:05:15 PM »

Right, but it's not such an alien thing in Beach Boys music as people want to make it out to be.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2011, 05:19:06 PM »

Right, but it's not such an alien thing in Beach Boys music as people want to make it out to be.

Chopping up a vocal from a different recording and pitch shifting it all to hell just sounds bad. The end of "Holidays", for instance. Again, not a matter of principle - it works great on "Fire", for instance, but other songs... naw Sad

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
The Demon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2011, 05:49:46 PM »

Chopping up a vocal from a different recording and pitch shifting it all to hell just sounds bad. The end of "Holidays", for instance. Again, not a matter of principle - it works great on "Fire", for instance, but other songs... naw Sad

I agree that not every instance is ideal.  I'm not trying to say that it's what they would have done.  Just that, when I went back to Smiley Smile, it struck me that they did it there, so I realized that when I heard it on the Smile box it didn't have to sound so weird to me.  Or that it didn't have to sound like a compromise.  But I hear you.
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2011, 08:59:13 AM »

Fire is in the same they as Fall Breaks, only much faster. "All" they did was to cut the vocals in some places to make it fit, but they did not use pitch shifting (and thank god for that!)
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx