gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:33:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: TSS - All things DYLW  (Read 87894 times)
Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 28, 2015, 11:16:33 PM »

Iīm a little bored with this CFM domination on this board (though I think itīs one of four best songs on Smile, others HV, SU, CE Smiley), so let me ask one question:

Why there isnīt a good, clean quality copy of an Bicycle rider acetate that appears on H & V Sessions, vol 2, track 28?? I LOVE THAT KICK DRUM!!!

AAAEEERGHHHHH.....
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: July 29, 2015, 02:08:32 AM »

Iīm a little bored with this CFM domination on this board (though I think itīs one of four best songs on Smile, others HV, SU, CE Smiley), so let me ask one question:

Why there isnīt a good, clean quality copy of an Bicycle rider acetate that appears on H & V Sessions, vol 2, track 28?? I LOVE THAT KICK DRUM!!!

AAAEEERGHHHHH.....

Because it's an acetate, pure and simple.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 29, 2015, 05:41:45 AM »

AAAEEERGHHHHH.....

Well that much I figured!  Roll Eyes
But is this mix only available on this acetate, simply cause it was erased at the time??
My other question was and is why isnīt possible to reconstruct?? Someone call masters of Smile mix to rescue! Krabklaw, Seltaeb1012002....Please help!!
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2015, 10:37:38 PM »

AAAEEERGHHHHH.....

But is this mix only available on this acetate, simply cause it was erased at the time??
My other question was and is why isnīt possible to reconstruct?? Someone call masters of Smile mix to rescue! Krabklaw, Seltaeb1012002....Please help!!

Well, there is a simple solution! I listened to some outtakes and if you may have the UM17 set, go to disc 1 track 20 and only listen to the right channel...the left has some new vocal overdubs, but the basic take is definitely in there.
silodweller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 07, 2015, 05:12:09 AM »

Hm, for all the buzz around the box set and for the work put into Disc One, I still prefer listening to the version of "Do You Like Worms" found on the 30 Years of The Beach Boys box set.  Yes, the "Bicycle Rider, just see what you've done..." bit hadn't been inserted and the "bend" in the vocals during the second verse is in your face, but you know what?  I think it's awesome!  The bass guitar just after the Hawaiian "chant" sounds great.  Somehow the oomph of the bass during that little section is lacking low end on the Smile Sessions. 

"Carl broke his cigarette over his G string, we're sorry..."
Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 09, 2015, 04:43:19 AM »

AAAEEERGHHHHH.....

Well, there is a simple solution! I listened to some outtakes and if you may have the UM17 set, go to disc 1 track 20 and only listen to the right channel...the left has some new vocal overdubs, but the basic take is definitely in there.

I took your advice, listened to UM17, disc 1, track 20 and didn't "feel" that kick drum!
Listen to Preiss tape, track 3 or H&V sessions vol.2, track 28 and you'll see it is very strong on that acetates, but barely audible on UM17...
Can someone please make some kind of witchcraft and create this mix listenable??
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

There's no outdoing The Beatles

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 05, 2015, 03:55:40 PM »

EQ it maybe?
Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 05, 2015, 11:18:18 PM »

EQ it maybe?

I'm not up to the task of EQin' it! Grin
Maybe someone can help?? Huh
Ptolemaios
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 22, 2021, 07:15:49 AM »

I am very saddened we still don't have a clear picture of what this song was supposed to be back in the day. Such a great piece of art.

Has anyone ever tried actually asking Al, Bruce or Mike: "Hey, that song Do you like worms? from Smile. Do you happen to remember the melodies of the missing vocal tracks for it? And if so, would you mind sometime giving us fans a real gift and record yourself singing it and post it on your Youtube channel? Thanks."

Someone maybe ask this question in a fan Q & A sometime or some of you more connected fans on this board maybe ask through the people who sometimes visit here and who have a direct connection(s) to the band. . .?
}{eywood
Smiley Smile Associate

That's OK. I'll fix it in post.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: July 06, 2021, 05:25:47 AM »

Hi guys!  I'm new as of today.  I joined here because I'm }{eywood from MQR, the guy who put together the Ear to Ear Expansion version of SMiLE.  I am currently working on a 5.1 mix for that record, but since I had to rebuild it all from scratch I'm looking for suggestions to better the work.  The commection between Tune X and Little Pad was one I've never noticed before, but am going to exploit on the new mix.  Thanks to this site for that.  Anything else you guys can give me information/suggestion wise is welcome and open for discussion either in thread or PM.  Thanks in advance

We likes you, Brian Wilson.  We likes you, Dennis Wilson.  We likes you, Carl Wilson.  We likes you, Al Jardine.  Hell we even likes you, Al Jarreau.  But f*** you, Mike Love.  f*** you, Mike Love

Having a hard time finding the MQR Ear to Ear Expansion lossless?  Look here: https://mega.nz/folder/rpwyxYRS#QOUzKBal0pwye0hqS5zDpQ
}{eywood
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: July 06, 2021, 05:40:43 AM »

it's most prominent section is just a retread of the H&V theme,

Actually it is the other way around: The H&V chorus is just a retread of the Bicycle Rider section of DYLW.
But how do you know these were even meant to be separate songs?  Most of the album is logged under H&V, even stuff that has no relation to H&V.  I think Worms was just parts of H&V that eventually got separated and made into another song, just like many other pieces

We likes you, Brian Wilson.  We likes you, Dennis Wilson.  We likes you, Carl Wilson.  We likes you, Al Jardine.  Hell we even likes you, Al Jarreau.  But f*** you, Mike Love.  f*** you, Mike Love

Having a hard time finding the MQR Ear to Ear Expansion lossless?  Look here: https://mega.nz/folder/rpwyxYRS#QOUzKBal0pwye0hqS5zDpQ
}{eywood
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: July 06, 2021, 05:52:22 AM »

I have been enjoying listening to fan edits and mixes of the SMiLE material.  I was playing around with DYLW, and I incorporated the vocal from With Me Tonight (Smiley Smile) over the verse of DYLW.  this is a snippet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de2uEm1Id3Y

Thiws is perfect!  I am going to incorporate thin into my 5.1 mix for sure.  I was trying to figure a way to fit this third interpretation of WMT into the timeline without it sounding forced.  There it is

}{eywood
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: July 06, 2021, 06:55:33 AM »

One last thing.  Has anyone who has tried to put the  BWPS vocal over the BB version of this song ever tried running their vocal isolations through either auto tune or a good pro level harmonizer software and changing the throat length to make Brian sound like young Brian?  Haven't tried this myself yet, but thought it would be a good suggestion

sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 06, 2021, 09:04:49 AM »

it's most prominent section is just a retread of the H&V theme,

Actually it is the other way around: The H&V chorus is just a retread of the Bicycle Rider section of DYLW.
But how do you know these were even meant to be separate songs?  Most of the album is logged under H&V, even stuff that has no relation to H&V.  I think Worms was just parts of H&V that eventually got separated and made into another song, just like many other pieces

Because Heroes And Villains and Do You Like Worms were both being worked on at the same time, and initially had no musical material in common, just like any 2 songs on an album. Brian also included both in the track listing he had done for the mockup covers. You have to look at things in the context of when they were worked on chronologically - once the chorus from Do You Like Worms was repurposed for Heroes And Villains, DYLW was never touched again. No part of Heroes And Villains became its own song - it happened the other way around, with Brian borrowing sections from his own songs to use in Heroes.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx