gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:52:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TSS - All things DYLW  (Read 87888 times)
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2012, 05:51:58 AM »

Did you listen to the files I posted?  They show how Brian may have intended to use that melody (with different lyrics each time, obviously).
adam78
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2012, 01:32:33 AM »

the moment i heard this, i thought, if you follow the timing he sings "once upon the sandwich isles..." you can sing that melody with the rest of the words right through to upon hawaii all in the first line. Drawing out "upon hawaii" and singing it the exact same way they do in BWPS. maybe thats something he remembered in 2004? just start singing the moment the music starts and it works perfectly, isn't rushed and totally in keeping with his descending vocals as per heroes and villains, so it's not even a stretch of an idea that it may have gone like this. of course, who knows?

i think the fact he calls out to van to check and then sings is significant. it's like he's looking for agreement, so strengthens the case to me that he's singing a genuine melody, rather than made up on the spot!?!
That does sound cool, but that would leave us two lines short, as you can easily fit both lines from 2004 into this new melody in the time it takes to sing one line the 2004 way. Correct?

There were vintage lyrics that went unused for this song in 2004 which only strengthens the idea that a melody with more words was an intention.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2012, 01:29:14 AM »

I guess the unused lyrics "Having returned to the East or West Indies, we always got them confused" were supposed to go over the winding down harpsichord part. I even have an idea how the melody might have been.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2012, 12:31:56 PM »

DYLW shouldn't be a great track - it's so disjointed, it's most prominent section is just a retread of the H&V theme, it's blatantly incomplete - and yet I absolutely LOVE IT! I can just listen to it over and over again, and in fact I am doing just that right now as i type this. It's just a spellbinding track - odd, experimental, Brian at his best. So many different sections and each one fantastic.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: March 15, 2012, 11:58:58 PM »

it's most prominent section is just a retread of the H&V theme,

Actually it is the other way around: The H&V chorus is just a retread of the Bicycle Rider section of DYLW.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2012, 03:32:35 PM »

Well it's such a fabulous melody it doesn't really matter which way round it is...
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2013, 03:11:16 PM »

God, I absolutely love the bass in this song. The entire piece is stunning! I'm so used to hearing my old bootleg version of DYLW with a cough in it that I still expect to hear it. Love the chanting, love the happy trippy feel of the song. It's definitely my favorite side of Brian's writing.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
bluesno1fann
« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2013, 10:55:06 PM »

Along with "Surf's Up", it's my favourite song off the Smile Sessions!
Very Psychecelic in my opinion
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2015, 10:18:31 PM »

I think some of you being so harsh on those who consider Brian's sung melody the new definitive arent being fair. Seriously, why would he just sing some bit of bullshit that he had no intention of following up on? Count me as another who thinks the BWPS vocals are boring and dreary and that the original would have been far more intricate.

The ribbon of concrete vocals are certainly definitive 1966, and speaking of those, I think they and the Bicycle Rider vocals would have been overlaid on the piano but before the "boo-da-bah" vocals come in. Thats the way I've done it in my Aquarian and Olorin mixes, and I just believe it sounds right that way. I have no solid proof that was Brian's plan though.

Fascinating stuff, this idea that the East/West Indies vocal were to come over the piano fade. I like that idea.

I agree the woo-oohs are an absolutely atrocious and unnecessary addition. It's extremely noticeable that they just came in H&V and it just sounds lazy and stupid. I didn't like them in BWPS either, but at least there it was a way to transition into the next song. Again, I'm not sure why Mark and Alan labored so hard under this misguided delusion that every transition from BWPS had to be recreated no matter how awful they sounded.

This, like CIFOTM, I consider one of the least finished SMiLE tracks but also one with the most potential. If we had all the lyrics, I really think it would be an incredible, poignant piece of art.

I dont buy into this idea of Holidays being Worms. Seems like a pretty forced connection, IMHO, and the two sound so different in tone I really just dont buy it. Would such a heartbreaking look at the pillaging and desolation of a civilization really be played over a happy track like Holidays? I doubt it. 

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2015, 11:23:15 PM »

The ribbon of concrete vocals are certainly definitive 1966, and speaking of those, I think they and the Bicycle Rider vocals would have been overlaid on the piano but before the "boo-da-bah" vocals come in. Thats the way I've done it in my Aquarian and Olorin mixes, and I just believe it sounds right that way. I have no solid proof that was Brian's plan though.

I don't understand what the "boo-da-bah" vocals are + the vocals were recorded as they are on TSS back in '66, right where they are, thus they couldn't have been "overlaid" elsewhere.

WAT IS BOO-DA-BAH Cry

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2015, 12:15:44 AM »

I don't understand what the "boo-da-bah" vocals are + the vocals were recorded as they are on TSS back in '66, right where they are, thus they couldn't have been "overlaid" elsewhere.

WAT IS BOO-DA-BAH Cry

Ah. Well then, nevermind. I still think it sounds nice done that way though.

The vocals that are played over the first Bicycle Rider chorus on the TSS version of the song.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2015, 12:30:29 PM »

The tribal-like American Indian chant vocals?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2015, 09:31:05 AM »

Quote from: runners
WAT IS BOO-DA-BAH
The background vocals in the verse. It's in the second verse in TSS.  Some BBs fan you are, lol
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2015, 01:20:08 PM »

WAT IS BOO-DA-BAH
The background vocals in the verse. It's in the second verse in TSS.  Some BBs fan you are, lol

r u kidding or what

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2015, 02:53:08 PM »

Oh come on, I've owned a Boo Da Bah t-shirt for a few years now. It's Mike smiling with the words Boo Da Bah under it.  What, do you live under a rock?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2015, 02:01:59 PM »

WAT IS BOO-DA-BAH

No, that's the "la la" vocals. I'm talking about the ones in the first chorus.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
thewillwiggins
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2015, 07:37:53 PM »

I have been enjoying listening to fan edits and mixes of the SMiLE material.  I was playing around with DYLW, and I incorporated the vocal from With Me Tonight (Smiley Smile) over the verse of DYLW.  this is a snippet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de2uEm1Id3Y
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 23, 2015, 07:42:18 PM »

I have been enjoying listening to fan edits and mixes of the SMiLE material.  I was playing around with DYLW, and I incorporated the vocal from With Me Tonight (Smiley Smile) over the verse of DYLW.  this is a snippet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de2uEm1Id3Y

Very cool! I love the way it fills up that particular section of DYLW. I'm gonna have this stuck in my head for the rest of the day now.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 24, 2015, 08:11:26 AM »

Quote from: Mujan
No, that's the "la la" vocals. I'm talking about the ones in the first chorus.
That's "Fake Boo Da Bah", actually.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 20, 2015, 01:55:37 PM »

Anyone else notice that someone is singing "hum be do da, hum be da da" in the first verse that DOESN'T have the vocals? It's very faint but my ear just picked it up today. Almost sounds like a guide.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: June 24, 2015, 11:46:09 PM »

Anyone else notice that someone is singing "hum be do da, hum be da da" in the first verse that DOESN'T have the vocals? It's very faint but my ear just picked it up today. Almost sounds like a guide.

Im afraid I never have. Very interesting tho, like the hidden clarinet in Look.

Even in the unfinished state we have, SMiLE is maybe the best body of music ever recorded. And yet little discoveries like this show how incomplete it still is. The people who disparage it, say it's not as good as Pet Sounds or Sgt Pepper, I really think would feel differently if they could hear the completed thing. Someone once said, it would be like hearing God Only Knows with just Brian on the piano for years and then suddenly hearing the fully-realized track for the first time. Hearing the bare bones is nice, and you'd think "hmm...thats a very pretty song." But when you hear the real thing, with all its complexities, intricate backing vocals and various instruments working together...its genius becomes undeniably apparent. Suddenly, anyone who maybe wasnt too impressed with just the basic track would have to admit "that's a work of genius!"

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 27, 2015, 06:03:16 AM »

I've said it before; The Beatles are my all time favorite band, hands down. And yet, SMiLE is the best music that I've ever heard.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 27, 2015, 11:11:51 AM »

I've said it before; The Beatles are my all time favorite band, hands down. And yet, SMiLE is the best music that I've ever heard.
I assume The Beach Boys are your 2nd favorite band, then, on merits of Smile? police

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: June 27, 2015, 11:26:13 AM »

+1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: July 23, 2015, 08:17:04 PM »

+2

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx