gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:38:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TSS - All things DYLW  (Read 87875 times)
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2011, 08:09:36 AM »

Pst thoughts on DYLW here

Cheers

Richard
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 09:53:54 AM »

Steals the show..

Sounds remarkable, exactly how I wanted it to be 

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
cta
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 10:22:32 AM »

Feel that it had the possibility of becoming a strong tune, but from what I've heard, it's missing too much to really deliver.   Either that or I've heard only 50 different versions out of the possible 100.

Feh.
John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 05:32:32 AM »

I wonder why the 'Ribbon of Concrete' vocals weren't added to this mix?

"It's more blessed to give than receive"

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 06:05:56 AM »

The Beach Boys never recorded "Ribbon of Concrete", or at least they're not in the vaults.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 06:37:14 AM »

I cannot be positive, but they might have been a 2004 addition.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 07:25:22 AM »

I've just heard Brian singing "Once upon the Sandwich isles" during the sessions and it is indeed a totally different melody than the one we have on BWPS. It's also sung very high, which makes it all the more interesting.
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 07:35:39 AM »

I cannot be positive, but they might have been a 2004 addition.

The lyrics are definitely vintage though.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 06:10:51 PM »

I believe we were previously told the melody and lyrics (including the "Ribbon of concrete" part) were vintage, but it appears only the lyrics are. I've yet to hear the original melody.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 11:22:18 PM »

I've just heard Brian singing "Once upon the Sandwich isles" during the sessions and it is indeed a totally different melody than the one we have on BWPS. It's also sung very high, which makes it all the more interesting.

This melody sounds to me like an additional vocal, not an alternate melody. Applied to the chords, it would take only one half of these "verses". My unbacked guess would be that it would probably set in in the second half.

Man, so many vocal parts for DYLW are missing, it is heartbreaking.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
richardsnow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 03:52:44 AM »

Just listened. I was holidng on to a 1% hope that maybe an acetate had turned up with lead vox on, but there you go. Sounds great anyway.

homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 05:20:49 AM »

This melody sounds to me like an additional vocal, not an alternate melody. Applied to the chords, it would take only one half of these "verses". My unbacked guess would be that it would probably set in in the second half.

I think it sounds like a verse melody for the first chord. At the second chord the melody would probably be slightly different to fit the chord.
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 02:35:02 PM »

I've synched up the count-in verse vocal by Brian to the DYLW track. It fits nicely and makes one wonder how cool the track would have been with _that_ finished vocal track...
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 08:19:45 PM »

I think it sounds like a verse melody for the first chord. At the second chord the melody would probably be slightly different to fit the chord.

I agree with Micha, it sounds like a response line to the melody vocal, not the lead melody itself.  Guess we'll never know unfortunately, but still incredibly cool to hear.

Love the new mix, aside from the lack of fadeout, replaced by the "woo-woo"s from "Heroes" a la BWPS.  But that's easy enough to fix - what's most important is that the track and vocals have never sounded better.
John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 02:33:04 AM »

Just listened. I was holidng on to a 1% hope that maybe an acetate had turned up with lead vox on, but there you go. Sounds great anyway.

I read somewhere ages ago, an obscure reference no doubt, that possibly Carl did the lead vocals on this track but they may have been wiped over. Personally, I doubt it ever happened as the final verse lyrics weren't decided upon of course until BWPS in 2003/4.

"It's more blessed to give than receive"

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 03:45:04 AM »

Biggest revelation of the box set so far for me, that snippet of vocal melody. I've long thought that the 'melody' on the BWPS version is nothing of the sort - and that it's a set of backing vocals. Heaven knows, it's got less going on in it than in most of the album's backing vocals. So perhaps this little control-room snippet gives us a better idea of what the lead melody was to be? Certainly, it sounds like a SMiLE melody, unlike the dreary dirge on BWPS.

Question raised: what would have occupied the rest of that line of the melody? 'Once up-on the Sand-wich Isles xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx'? (And this is before accounting for the half-a-verse thing pointed out above. Call and answer vocals could have covered that.

Hell, as ever, you run round and round in circles and end up back in the Land Of Don't Know.

(Surely Van could throw some light on this?)
theCOD
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 04:54:06 AM »

Personally, I doubt it ever happened as the final verse lyrics weren't decided upon of course until BWPS in 2003/4.

I'm almost positive all the lyrics to RPR 2004 are vintage. I think the story is Brian remembered the melody, couldn't make out the last word(s) on the lyric sheet and called up VDP to confirm.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 06:09:12 AM »

Only problem with that melody is that you can't fit 'The social structures steamed upon Hawaii' in there - doesn't scan.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 06:16:02 AM »

It's easily fitted, if you put an upbeat to it. What comes after the lines have run out is the bigger mystery.
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 07:16:11 AM »

The 2004 lyrics are vintage 1966 without doubt - haven't heard the box yet so looking forward to hearing that melody snippet

Cheers

Richard
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 02:12:28 PM »

i'm super pleased how this turned out.  I actually can listen to it straight now.  Especially when that bass kicks in, yum.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 03:38:42 PM »

Love how they went from the Bicycle Rider section to the bridge.

Brian singing the lyrics! There's no way I can sing them any other way now. Very "Hawaiian"
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 06:02:09 PM by Wrightfan » Logged
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2011, 07:59:58 PM »

Love how they went from the Bicycle Rider section to the bridge.

Brian singing the lyrics! There's no way I can sing them any other way now. Very "Hawaiian"

Yeah that fuzz bass is freaking killer - Brian really knew how to use that instrument tastefully, but to great effect.
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2011, 10:22:41 PM »

Wow, thanks for pointing that out, Yorick.  What a tantalizing snippet.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2011, 09:07:23 AM »

Just heard that little vocal snippet. It's really cool. I think that this was the main vocal melody - not sure why he would be singing an additional vocal. The thing is - it almost sounds like there's more lyrics - Once upon the sandwhich isles do do do do...
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx