gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:18:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TSS - All things H&V  (Read 69932 times)
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2011, 08:07:30 AM »

The place to discuss TSS and H&V

Cheers

Richard
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 10:08:17 AM »

Really dig this mix. The "woo woo woo woo woo's" sound much better then any fanmix could make it. Pretty cool ending as well with the horn AND the crazy strings.
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 10:50:48 AM »

Billboard Review Picks out H&V

THE BEACH BOYS
"The SMiLE Sessions"
Producers: Brian Wilson, Mark Linett, Alan Boyd, Dennis Wolfe
Capitol/EMI
Release Date: Nov. 1

The Beach Boys' "SMiLE," the first 19 tracks of this five-CD set, is an essential pop music album. The version Brian Wilson released in 2004 for Nonesuch was more polished than this collection of music from the initial 1966-'67 sessions. "The SMiLE Sessions" captures Wilson, session musicians and the Beach Boys in moments that are chaotic, loopy and remarkably in synch. It's a consistently brilliant album. With four CDs reliving Wilson's hours spent shaping "SMiLE," the song "Heroes and Villains" is limned at an extraordinary level, placed under the microscope and ultimately on a throne. Hands down one of Wilson's finest melodies, "Heroes and Villains" is Gershwin-esque in its sweeping moments, hauntingly still at times and cosmically choral in others. Set early on "SMiLE," a healthy amount of listening separates the song from its epic brethren "Surf's Up" and "Good Vibrations," heard here in a more rustic version than the hit single. Those better-known tracks feel perfect in length and structure; "Heroes and Villains" lingers-were SMiLE a Broadway show, theater-goers would hum it while exiting the venue. "SMiLE Sessions" showcases Wilson's production style and temperament, which is oddly calm and precise.

Cheers

Richard
cta
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 10:25:32 AM »

I got burned out on it back in 2000 or so when the folks at The Shop, myself included, dissected it to death.  Maybe I should reacquaint myself with it just in time before Tuesday.

Feh.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 04:14:30 PM »

On the 2-CD set: is it only my copy, or does the stereo mix of H&V (track 21 on CD1) have a problem? Near the end of the song (03:32), after "I'm alright... By the heroes and...", the last chorus kicks in SUPER FAST and then slows down. It's really noticeable.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 08:22:38 PM »

Did you rip it? that's a semi-normal ripping issue

jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 01:24:22 AM »

I miss the "wwwwooooooowwww" sound that comes around 2:10 or so in the single verison.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 01:56:01 AM »

Did you rip it? that's a semi-normal ripping issue

No, the problem's on the CD. Other people have reported this problem as well.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 07:44:33 PM »

The vocal session for "Children Were Raised" is simply amazing.  Listening to them build it then hearing it with the backing track shows just how brilliant he was.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 02:19:19 PM »

The stereo track is amazing!
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 02:42:42 AM »

The funniest thing is Track 20 on Disc 2 of the box, 'Heroes And Villains: Piano Theme' at about 1:13: Kiss'  'I was made for loving you', anyone? Hahaha!

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 11:01:11 PM »

3/1/67 - Verse remake.  Kind of breaks my heart.  After hearing his numerous attempts to finish H&V, he goes all the way back to the beginning to re-record the VERSE.  Makes me wish I could tell 1967 Brian, "Brian, the verse is just fine.  No changes needed."  He just couldn't stop himself from fiddling with it endlessly.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 12:06:43 AM »

The funniest thing is Track 20 on Disc 2 of the box, 'Heroes And Villains: Piano Theme' at about 1:13: Kiss'  'I was made for loving you', anyone? Hahaha!

You're a few decades late to discover that! Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 12:30:39 AM »

Well it was a first for me too? Is it possible that Kiss listened to some boots? When did they first emerge?
Of course it's a pretty simple melody that anybody could come up with
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 03:28:51 AM »

The funniest thing is Track 20 on Disc 2 of the box, 'Heroes And Villains: Piano Theme' at about 1:13: Kiss'  'I was made for loving you', anyone? Hahaha!

Well, I have got (erhm, let's say 'heard' for legal reasons) pretty much every BB bootleg there are (except a lot of the redundant live stuff which I don't really care for), but I guess I must have missed that one Smiley
Funny, nevertheless :D
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 09:20:36 AM by tansen » Logged

desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 09:01:01 AM »

The funniest thing is Track 20 on Disc 2 of the box, 'Heroes And Villains: Piano Theme' at about 1:13: Kiss'  'I was made for loving you', anyone? Hahaha!

Well, I have got (erhm, let's say 'heard' for legal reasons) pretty much every BB bootleg there are (except a lot of the redundant live stuff which I don't really care for), but I guess I must have missed that one Smiley
Funnt, never the less :D

I love all that Brian piano stuff - actually the piano part 2 stuff is really new to me

Cheers

Richard
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 12:11:27 PM »

During the "In the cantina" version, the liners say that it is "Dance Margarita," but I have always heard "Dance Margarite Rita." Does anyone else hear that, or am I crazy?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 12:17:27 PM by Parks Asher » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 12:25:15 PM »

During the "In the cantina" version, the liners say that it is "Dance Margarita," but I have always heard "Dance Margarite Rita." Does anyone else hear that, or am I crazy?

I think the way he's singing it is what's making you think those are the lyrics. But I'm pretty sure the listed lyrics are correct.
adam78
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 04:40:13 PM »

I've gotta say, the early version outakes sessions (disc 4 track 24), possibly sounds more well put together than any other version. (except one awful fade edit in the middle). Some edits I've never heard before make perfect sense and have a fantastic feel to it. I instantly loved it, and it has this certain drive to the entire track that none of the others have.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2011, 09:37:37 AM »

I wasn't referring to any bootleg - that melody line is present in about every incarnation of the BR theme, including the 1967 single version, where somebody sings "do - do - do - do-do" to it, and in DYLW somebody sings "ba - ba - ba...", and the fuzz bass plays that line, too.  Actually it is probably an unconscious lift by Kiss.

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2011, 10:14:36 AM »

3/1/67 - Verse remake.  Kind of breaks my heart.  After hearing his numerous attempts to finish H&V, he goes all the way back to the beginning to re-record the VERSE.  Makes me wish I could tell 1967 Brian, "Brian, the verse is just fine.  No changes needed."  He just couldn't stop himself from fiddling with it endlessly.

Verse, intro, fade...he was really starting over, wasn't he? But then WHY NOT TAKE 5 MINUTES AND RECORD A LEAD VOCAL ON SOMETHING THAT WAS ALREADY FINISHED!?!!?
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2011, 10:15:29 AM »

I wasn't referring to any bootleg - that melody line is present in about every incarnation of the BR theme, including the 1967 single version, where somebody sings "do - do - do - do-do" to it, and in DYLW somebody sings "ba - ba - ba...", and the fuzz bass plays that line, too.  Actually it is probably an unconscious lift by Kiss.

I never noticed it before, and I'm curious where on the H&V single it is. I heard it clearly on DYLW (Track 5 of Disc 3) now though.

juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2011, 07:33:36 PM »

I've gotta say, the early version outakes sessions (disc 4 track 24), possibly sounds more well put together than any other version. (except one awful fade edit in the middle). Some edits I've never heard before make perfect sense and have a fantastic feel to it. I instantly loved it, and it has this certain drive to the entire track that none of the others have.

I came on to this thread to post exactly the same thing.  That might just be the best H&V running order that I've ever heard.  Sound quality for the mix isn't the greatest (is some of it acetate-sourced?), but, man, I love this version.  I wonder why it's buried at the end of Disc 4 instead of with the rest of H&V on Disc 2.  Huh
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2011, 01:20:37 AM »

I never noticed it before, and I'm curious where on the H&V single it is. I heard it clearly on DYLW (Track 5 of Disc 3) now though.

Well, it's in the "chorus" of the H&V single of course. I think it's Carl do-do-do-ing it. Smiley It is much more obvious though in the first section of the 93 H&V sections mix where Al or possibly Brian goes ba-ba.

desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2011, 03:58:55 AM »

I came on to this thread to post exactly the same thing.  That might just be the best H&V running order that I've ever heard.  Sound quality for the mix isn't the greatest (is some of it acetate-sourced?), but, man, I love this version.  I wonder why it's buried at the end of Disc 4 instead of with the rest of H&V on Disc 2.  Huh

The structure of CD4 version from Jan/Feb 67 is as follows

1. Normal first verse although the lead vocal sounds quite laid back ( more than normal

2. Whistle/Dum Dum section

3. My Children were raised accapella with Often wise/piano section

4. Wordless vocal verse

5. In the Cantina

6. How I love my girl (Gee)

7. Dit Dit accapella H&V with handclaps and the one/two note bass line

8. Heroes & Villains accapella - with the clip clop thing

9 False Barnyard with hum dum vocals

I think thats it

Cheers

Richard
gfx