gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681488 Posts in 27638 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 08, 2024, 02:10:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Over and over the crow cries ...  (Read 2905 times)
JMZ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: October 28, 2011, 05:03:07 AM »

... Seriously ?

WTF does that mean ?  Razz Banana Razz  Banana Razz

No, really, I was thinking the other day, listening to the MOJO45 version of Cabinessence: how can someone possibly neither like, nor understand a line and sing it so well ?

Mike sings this line so intensely, it gives it a real mystic touch, and the recent remix showcases that performance even more !

I really can't wait to here it on the Box !  3D

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 05:05:48 AM »

Ask Mike Love if he knows the meaning now? Grin
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 05:20:04 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 05:19:45 AM »

'Over and over the crow cries uncover the cornfield.
Over and over the thresher and hover the wheat field.'

As you may be aware, SMiLE was originally to consists of two movements....Americana and Elemental. In my opinion the Americana movement was to begin the album starting with Our Prayer signifying the landing of the English pilgrims at Plymouth Rock in 1620. Gee was always going to follow Our Prayer because it bookends the growth of America in cultural terms, after all Gee by The Crows is commonly acknowledged as the first Rock n Roll hit in 1952. The final verse of Cabinessence mirrors the contrasting hymns of the opening track of SMiLE. Where once the crow flew over the Native Indian land of America which was natural, as signified by the cornfield, the white Anglo-Saxon European has introduced machinery, planted new crops and the result of it 'hovers' over the American landscape.

"It's more blessed to give than receive"

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 06:40:46 AM »

It may also be a nod to the Crow Nation.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 06:41:56 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 06:47:52 AM »

Absolutely, it may be a reference to that tribe. It's not as if Van Dyke will register on the board and tell us though. Shrug Shrug

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 07:12:31 AM »

Ask Mike Love if he knows the meaning now? Grin
Right now, I'm thinking he believes it to mean "Ca-Ching!!! $$$$$$$.$$"

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
TerryWogan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 07:18:03 AM »

I always have a mental image of the sun rising over a corn field as the crows wake up and start doing their thing. So as the sun rises and darkness recedes, their cries can be heard.

That make any sense? Razz
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 07:48:12 AM »

Somewhere on the internet an English professor wrote a whole essay about Smile's lyrics. He noticed something really interesting if you switch the end of both lines around:

Over and over the crow cries uncover the cornfield.
Over and over the thresher and hover the wheat field.

BECOMES (IF WE ADD AN S):

Over and over the crow cries and hovers the wheat field.
Over and over the thresher uncovers the cornfield.

So, you see, it's very plausible that Van Dyke cut up the lines for an artistic effect. If anything, it's rather amazing that nobody notices that.
sidewinder572
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 08:05:02 AM »

where is this essay?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 08:06:18 AM »

Somewhere on the internet an English professor wrote a whole essay about Smile's lyrics. He noticed something really interesting if you switch the end of both lines around:

Over and over the crow cries uncover the cornfield.
Over and over the thresher and hover the wheat field.

BECOMES (IF WE ADD AN S):

Over and over the crow cries and hovers the wheat field.
Over and over the thresher uncovers the cornfield.

So, you see, it's very plausible that Van Dyke cut up the lines for an artistic effect. If anything, it's rather amazing that nobody notices that.

Right, in my opinion, where many people see genius abstract lyrics, I see calculated effort to be inscrutable.  That's not to say I don't like the effect, but it's less genius than it is editing.

To wit, watch me turn I Get Around into a dense, mind-probing expression of abstract thought.

"I'm gettin' bugged drivin' up and down the kids are hip/
gotta find a new place where the same old street.

my buddies and me are gettin' leave us alone/
yeah the bad guys know us and they're real well known."

Now, I kid, but I feel like there's some truth here.
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 08:23:04 AM »

It's cinematic.  The first time I heard Cabin Essence, the movie it projected in my head was instaneous and clear.  This is nearly true for every other piece of Smile music.  The film in ones head - that's what the lyrics mean.  Apparently ML has never been able to listen visually, which makes me sad for him.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 12:41:53 PM »

where is this essay?

I think I found it through vandykeparks.com, but sadly, it's now dedicated to promoting Bananastan records. All the old stuff is gone.
Bill Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 02:25:58 PM »

VDP did recall in an interview (not sure when) visiting the Getty Museum with his parents as a child and seeing a Van Gogh painting, probably the Wheatfield with Crows. This work is actually in Amsterdam but may have been at the Getty as part of an exhibition.

Van Dyke didn't offer this up as an explanation for the lyric mind you but he may have remembered it's imagery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheatfield_with_Crows
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 02:28:09 PM by Bill Barnyard » Logged

I guess I've got a way with girls
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 03:00:34 PM »

It's cinematic.  The first time I heard Cabin Essence, the movie it projected in my head was instaneous and clear.  This is nearly true for every other piece of Smile music.  The film in ones head - that's what the lyrics mean.
That is exactly how I feel about Van Dyke's lyrics. So who cares if they do or don't mean anything...
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 03:07:54 PM »

VDP did recall in an interview (not sure when) visiting the Getty Museum with his parents as a child and seeing a Van Gogh painting, probably the Wheatfield with Crows. This work is actually in Amsterdam but may have been at the Getty as part of an exhibition.

Van Dyke didn't offer this up as an explanation for the lyric mind you but he may have remembered it's imagery.

Didn't Van Gogh also kill himself in a wheatfield? Maybe the crow is circling for "leftovers"  Tongue

See how you can interpret these lyrics in different ways  LOL
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 03:55:46 PM »

where is this essay?

He's with his homies..
John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 01:51:55 AM »

Didn't Van Gogh also kill himself in a wheatfield? Maybe the crow is circling for "leftovers"  Tongue

See how you can interpret these lyrics in different ways  LOL

There are many double puns in Van Dyke's lyrics on SMiLE. It only makes sense to me now when Brian stated in promotional interviews this month that it was Van Dyke's idea to alter the title of the album from Dumb Angel to SMiLE - the humour is evident in the lyrics. For twenty years I thought the previous line to 'Over and over the crow cries' referred to the grand coulee dam built in 1942 until I realised that Van Dyke is referring to the 19th century derogatory term of a Chinese labourer, 'coolie' working on the railroad.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 03:32:33 AM by John Stivaktas » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx