gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680855 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 04:19:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: This place...  (Read 14873 times)
MBE
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2011, 12:46:15 AM »

This place is cool because with a project such as SMiLE facts don't tell the whole story. Facts don't turn the light on, they lead to SMiLE nowheresville.  Nice that folks recognize this here.

Cool that you can express other theories & ideas here without getting rolled eyes & beating a dead horse emoticons.

Well it satisfies both kind of fans doesn't it? For me I just ignore theory and go to things that describe what actually happened. I also simply enjoy hearing people describe what they get from the music personally.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2011, 12:46:36 AM »

When I got my first Smile tape, way back when, this was the track I played more than any other. That hypnotic. Even made a nine-minute edit just using the pause key and a mess of timing notes.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2011, 12:48:49 AM »

I swear to god, take the acappella intro from Hawthrone, and put it over the top of I Wanna Be Around. It works in a really weird way.

Also has anyone noticed that at the start of take one of the song Brian says "This piano, god, it's so terrible, I hate it"
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 12:53:41 AM by Fishmonk » Logged

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2011, 01:07:08 AM »

From time to time, we might have our own internecine or whatever you call it, squabbles...

...But these are merely minor annoyances compared to what this board actually is - the best Beach Boys board around, a place full of interesting and nice people who share information, and most of all, their passion. May this board go on for many, many more years.

And we're gonna do it for world peace and love and harmony! Yeah!  Grin
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 02:06:30 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2011, 01:51:45 AM »

Guys, I absolutely love The Beach Boys. Today at work I put on the UM for Wild Honey, and I just found myself listening to Can't Wait Too Long over and over again, grinning when Brian couldn't keep it together on I Was Made To Love Her etc. What is it about this band.

All human life is there, with the best soundtrack in the world.  Grin

Effin A. I love this board.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2011, 02:13:58 AM »

Know why we argue, have spats, call each other names and (occasionally) flounce off ?

'Cause we care, 'cause this music and this band matter to us so much. 'Cause it's important.  Can't speak for anyone else but since 1977, when I first plugged into the UK fan circle via Beach Boys Stomp issue #1, my life has been informed and changed by The Beach Boys and their music... and in a few short hours, this long, strange trip reaches the first culmination. That I'm sharing it with folk here and on other boards is a huge plus.  

Bow  Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2011, 03:49:44 AM »

I remember first reading about Smile in the "Nearest Faraway Place" book. Perhaps I'll dust it off for old times sake.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2011, 04:30:23 AM »

Room for one more in the group hug?

I just wanted to say that I came to this board thinking I knew a lot about The BBs.....and quickly realized that thanks to many people here that I had barely scratched the surface

So, to the people that were there and share their stories, the historians, fact finders and those that just have opinion on this great band and their music, a massive thanks.

The next few days are going to be awesome and reading all your thoughts and ideas, is going to be a great backdrop to the TSS

Oh-if I find this site is down again due to some f*ckwit in Bangladesh, I will personally fly there and beat him while listening to Wonderful

#She belongs there, left with her liberty# THWACK!!
#Never CRUNCH known as a non  Dead Horse believer#
JDShadow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2011, 05:33:30 AM »

..re Can't Wait Too Long

Have also spent many hours listening over and over.  Absolutely hypnotic.

That first "Beeeen Tooo Looong"--has there ever been or will there ever be again a sound like that produced by human voices ?

It's Automatic...
ukulelejesus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2011, 05:41:24 AM »

I mainly lurk, but you folks seem pretty cool.

Over and over the crow cries uncover the lifehouse lifehouse lifehouse
2 and a half
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2011, 05:45:52 AM »

I mainly lurk, but you folks seem pretty cool.

ban this troll
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2011, 06:36:24 AM »

I don't post terribly often, but I log in daily and always learn new things.  I was a big fan before I came across this board, but being a member here has enlightened me more than I could ever express and turned me on to so many things that I wouldn't have known about otherwise.  It is awesome to be able to post questions to many band "insiders" or at the least, people that really know their BB history, and have them converse with us.  I post at many forums, but NONE of them are as good as this one.  Thank you all.

As we rapidly approach the release of SMiLE, I raise my glass to you all and say, congratulations.  We've all waited a long time for this and we have made it!!  Three cheers to the SmileySmile forum!

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2011, 08:26:24 AM »

When I got my first Smile tape, way back when, this was the track I played more than any other.

The track I played the most on my first SMiLE tape was "Here Come De Honey Man".  Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2011, 09:44:22 AM »

Is it cool or tragic that many of the people on this board seem more interesting then those I actually know in real life?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2011, 10:33:14 AM »

Can we talk about Can't Wait Too Long for a second? What a great friggin' song. It's better than the entire white album put together. It's just so modern, in terms of it's ambiance it's even more forward thinking than Good Vibrations. I wonder what the lead vocal would have been, on the sessions you can hear someone singing, I dunno if it's bleed through, or someone in the studio who wasn't miced, but the song seems so close to being there, why why why why didn't they just put it together. Great friggin' song guys, A+ stuff, love it.

Yep brilliant and so glad it was resurrected for TLOS i even made a hip hop beat out of it

Cheers

Richard
Jason
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2011, 10:35:27 AM »

Is it cool or tragic that many of the people on this board seem more interesting then those I actually know in real life?

People are more interesting when you don't have to hear their annoying voices or see their ugly faces. The added bonus of being able to block someone is almost like smiting. The internet allows one to be a vicious sysop. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 10:36:28 AM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2011, 10:36:53 AM »

This website tracks how much time each user has actually been on the site.  I am curious to know how many hours, days, maybe weeks for some of you, some of the heavier users spend on this board.  Of course it won't cover the time you are viewing the site while not logged in, but the total should still be pretty revealing.  Shall we have a competition?  I'll start it off:

19 hours, 18 minutes

Pretty lame, huh?

Anyone else willing to post their totals?  Andrew?

mps

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2011, 10:38:44 AM »

that's nothing, I got:
31 days, 14 hours and 7 minutes

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jason
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2011, 10:39:25 AM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?action=stats

Andrew's not even in the top 10!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2011, 10:45:19 AM »

32 days, 12 hours, 18 minutes…

“We live in divisive times.”
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2011, 10:46:56 AM »

Can we talk about Can't Wait Too Long for a second? What a great friggin' song. It's better than the entire white album put together. It's just so modern, in terms of it's ambiance it's even more forward thinking than Good Vibrations. I wonder what the lead vocal would have been, on the sessions you can hear someone singing, I dunno if it's bleed through, or someone in the studio who wasn't miced, but the song seems so close to being there, why why why why didn't they just put it together. Great friggin' song guys, A+ stuff, love it.

Yep brilliant and so glad it was resurrected for TLOS i even made a hip hop beat out of it

Found it if anyone is interested - vocals by the Beastie Boys - sort of ironic IMHO

http://soundcloud.com/the-essential-drop/01-been-way-too-long

Cheers

Richard
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2011, 10:58:15 AM »

33 days, 17 hours and 26 minutes.

w00t!

That's really nothing though - Awhile back I stumbled upon a page here that gives away the amounts of everyone - I believe Luther held first place at 99 days logged in.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2011, 11:02:59 AM »

Yeah, that's this one: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?action=stats which was just posted slightly further up the thread. I've never seen that before. The male:female ratio isn't as bad as I expected.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2011, 11:34:06 AM »

Yeah, that's this one: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?action=stats which was just posted slightly further up the thread. I've never seen that before. The male:female ratio isn't as bad as I expected.

Do chicks dig the SMiLE?

I remember a long time ago either on here or maybe going back to the Hunt/Lane board where a poster mentioned that he had a girlfriend who came to him and said "I have a question for you and I want the truth" and he was thinking *oh boy here it comes* and the question she ended up asking him was "Who Ran The Iron Horse?"

I thought that was so cool!

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2011, 12:18:59 PM »

I envy that man. I once told a girlfriend that I would trade her life if it meant Brian Wilson would live for even a fraction of a second longer. She didn't like that.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx