gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681030 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 17, 2024, 01:15:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Not a great review in Q  (Read 8300 times)
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2011, 03:17:06 AM »

Uk mag Q gives TSS three stars - not a great one pit rightly highlights GV H&V CE W SU as being magnificent

Cheers

Richard
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 04:11:06 AM »

Reviewer?

Any reason for not giving it a great review?
TerryWogan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 04:18:35 AM »

Three stars (presumably out of five) still seems a pretty decent store, bearing in mind 4 CDs of this box are going to be of little interest to those not already obsessed with SMiLE.
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 05:19:23 AM »

Three stars (presumably out of five) still seems a pretty decent store, bearing in mind 4 CDs of this box are going to be of little interest to those not already obsessed with SMiLE.

It's a horrible score, considering the very same magazine gave Razorlight's S/T album 5 stars a few years ago. One of the worst albums in the history of rock n roll.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 05:30:58 AM »

lol razorlight.
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 05:37:53 AM »

I wouldn't worry-Q magazine has been poor for years. I gave up subscribing a few years back because I was sick of seeing Bono/Chris Martin/Razorlight/McCartney landing on my doormat once a month.

Mojo gave TSS 5/5 with a small interview with Brian.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 05:42:55 AM »

Heck, Entertainment Weekly "only" gave The Pet Sounds Sessions a B, specifically spelling out the exact same reason that TerryWogan mentioned. Pet Sounds as an album, though, got at least an A.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 06:20:00 AM »

Sometimes I have difficulty distinguishing typos from British slang.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 06:20:32 AM »

How they heck do you rate razorlight better than SMiLE. Huh

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 06:21:49 AM »

Reviewer?

Any reason for not giving it a great review?

Too much filler - die hard fans only

Cheers

Richard
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 07:01:34 AM »

Who reads reviews anyways?  Like I'm gonna take somebody else's opinion on what sounds good.   The best way to discover what sounds good is to listen to IT, not somebody bitching about it. 
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 07:26:56 AM »

Quote from: TerryWogan

I haven't read it yet, so I can only go off of the star rating, but barring some flat-out condemnation in the review itself, I don't see the problem either.

You have to keep in mind that Q is writing for their audience, one of modern-day rock and pop fans. Assuming the question is, "Should someone with no exposure to Smile pay $110 for this?", then three stars seems like a perfectly fair review.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 07:39:19 AM »

Obscene.

If you want to give the collection three stars, that's fine. If you want to say in your review that the full set is geared for die hards, that's fine. But to base your review of an album on whether or not the average consumer will find it worth their money is absurd. How about judging the collection by how good the stuff is that's on it?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 08:04:04 AM by rockandroll » Logged
PaulTMA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 07:57:14 AM »

Q think Elbow are the best band of all time.  Ignore them.
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 08:16:53 AM »

Quote from: rockandroll
But to base your review of an album on whether or not the average consumer will find it worth their money is absurd. How about judging the collection by how good the stuff is that's on it?

Think about the people who read Q. Do you think many of these people have a lot of exposure to Smile? I would guess not.

If you've never heard any Smile whatsoever, you probably don't need this 5-disc box set.

(And, who knows, maybe the review is for Beach Boys fans, or maybe that was a disclaimer in the review, or something. I have no idea. I'm just saying, a three-star review from a contemporary music magazine is nothing to cry blasphemy over.)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 08:35:16 AM »

Quote from: rockandroll
But to base your review of an album on whether or not the average consumer will find it worth their money is absurd. How about judging the collection by how good the stuff is that's on it?

Think about the people who read Q. Do you think many of these people have a lot of exposure to Smile? I would guess not.

Well, in 2006, Q Readers placed Pet Sounds #12 in the Greatest Album of All Time poll. A little lower than it usually gets in non-fan polls, but that's still pretty good and enough to suggest that a sizeable amount of Q readers are big Beach Boys fans.

Plus, to repeat myself, if you want to say in your review that the full set is geared for die hards, that's fine. Hell,fill the whole review up with words to that effect. But to base your actual rating of the review on that fact is, like I said, obscene.

If you've never heard any Smile whatsoever, you probably don't need this 5-disc box set.

Sure, but that has nothing to do with how good (or bad) the collection is.

(And, who knows, maybe the review is for Beach Boys fans, or maybe that was a disclaimer in the review, or something. I have no idea. I'm just saying, a three-star review from a contemporary music magazine is nothing to cry blasphemy over.)

I agree. Again, to repeat, if you want to give the album three stars, that's fine. The reason given here is what's ridiculous.
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 08:43:26 AM »

The review appears to be for their general readership.  It said something along the lines of 'make no mistake, for the serious fan, this is a very big deal'.  I wonder though if they would (or should) give a different mark to the 2-disc, rather than the big box.  Perhaps they ought to review both.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 08:44:35 AM by Primey Prime » Logged

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 08:59:41 AM »

Plus, to repeat myself, if you want to say in your review that the full set is geared for die hards, that's fine. Hell,fill the whole review up with words to that effect. But to base your actual rating of the review on that fact is, like I said, obscene.

The star ranking is for Q's readers, not Beach Boys fans. Why is this so "obscene"? If I had never heard Smile before and was subjected to five hours of recording sessions from it, I'd find that laborious. And while I respect the wish that the star ranking was for Beach Boys fans, not doing it that way isn't unfair or ridiculous.

Quote from: Primey Prime
I wonder though if they would (or should) give a different mark to the 2-disc, rather than the big box.  Perhaps they ought to review both.

Now that would actually be the more interesting review of the two.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 09:05:23 AM »

The star ranking is for Q's readers, not Beach Boys fans. Why is this so "obscene"? If I had never heard Smile before and was subjected to five hours of recording sessions from it, I'd find that laborious. And while I respect the wish that the star ranking was for Beach Boys fans, not doing it that way isn't unfair or ridiculous.

The review shouldn't be for Beach Boys fans either.

I guess this is why music reviews are an abomination under every circumstance - instead of critics evaluating the work, they evaluate the audience.
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 09:10:44 AM »

Come to think of it, 'cos I only had a quick browse, the review might've been for the album generally and not for the box, particularly, though it had a paragraph or so talking about what you get with it.  As said by the OP, the few big tracks were called magnificent, but it referred to getting 'nonsense' like Vegetables too.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 09:17:04 AM »

Come to think of it, 'cos I only had a quick browse, the review might've been for the album generally and not for the box, particularly, though it had a paragraph or so talking about what you get with it.  As said by the OP, the few big tracks were called magnificent, but it referred to getting 'nonsense' like Vegetables too.

I actually hope most of the reviews concern the 2-CD version. It'll be interesting to see which tracks resonate with reviewers or not, since this is the version of the two that will probably (hopefully?) be the most popular.
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 09:22:19 AM »

Is Q the magazine that named U2 the greatest act of the last 25 years and Coldplay the best act in the world today?   LOL
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2011, 09:51:16 AM »

How many people actually listen to the sessions part of the PS box for fun?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 09:58:23 AM »

Of course it's only going to get an average review, it's not The Beatles is it? Which as every self respecting Q reader knows is the only group from that period that was any good! Who cares about old music anyway when we could be discussing the collective merits of U2, Kings of Lameon, Jessie Jane and the mighty COLDPLAY!!

Eat a bag of s*it Q Magazine.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 10:04:24 AM »

Of course it's only going to get an average review, it's not The Beatles is it? Which as every self respecting Q reader knows is the only group from that period that was any good! Who cares about old music anyway when we could be discussing the collective merits of U2, Kings of Lameon, Jessie Jane and the mighty COLDPLAY!!

Eat a bag of s*it Q Magazine.

Just beat me to it..

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx