gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:24:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ten Underappreciated Beach Boys Albums  (Read 20955 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2011, 06:53:36 AM »

I bought Today! in vinyl at a record store in my hometown for 18 bucks, newly pressed and in mono.  I was really surprised to see it...it was sitting right next to a vinyl Pet Sounds!

@ the author, I love the blog by the way.  I feel bad for the harsh criticism you've gotten here, being sixteen and constantly struggling to convince my "musically oriented friends" to embrace the Beach Boys leads me to sympathize with your cause.  So many people my age, and into their twenties, who may even call themselves fans, simply know nothing of the beautiful albums the Beach Boys created.  It's really a shame some of the older members on this board jumped at you so quickly.  Personally, knowing your intention to inform the "outside" world of some of the Beach Boys work and exposing the modern record buying public to the music, I think your choices are great.  I'm looking forward to seeing Surf's Up, do you think you'll end up writing about that one?

Thanks Zach. It does seem unfair that these albums weren't 'canonised' in the way that, say, The Beatles' back catalogue has been (not that that didn't deserve to). Each album is quietly monumental in its own different way, none more so than Surf's Up which is indeed on the list. In fact I'd wager that most on here would be able to predict the remaining choices quite easily!

By the way, in a totally non-patronising way, well done for having such fine taste so young Smiley Think I'd have been closer to 18 when I first ventured past Pet Sounds and started listening to Sunflower/Surf's Up. I remember I was doing work experience at a book publishing company, photocopying, that kind of thing. The work was stultifying but the music makes that week strangely significant in retrospect (it's when I first started listening to Pixies as well).

This reminds me that I was likely switched onto Sunflower/Surf's Up after seeing them mentioned in conjunction with my favourite band at the time (and still one of them), Super Furry Animals. Anyone else here a fan?
You can't compare any beach boys albums to beatles albums. The only ones that can stand up to what the beatles did are pet sounds,smile sessions & today.

Give me Friends and Wild Honey over the White Album.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2011, 07:28:14 AM »

I bought Today! in vinyl at a record store in my hometown for 18 bucks, newly pressed and in mono.  I was really surprised to see it...it was sitting right next to a vinyl Pet Sounds!

@ the author, I love the blog by the way.  I feel bad for the harsh criticism you've gotten here, being sixteen and constantly struggling to convince my "musically oriented friends" to embrace the Beach Boys leads me to sympathize with your cause.  So many people my age, and into their twenties, who may even call themselves fans, simply know nothing of the beautiful albums the Beach Boys created.  It's really a shame some of the older members on this board jumped at you so quickly.  Personally, knowing your intention to inform the "outside" world of some of the Beach Boys work and exposing the modern record buying public to the music, I think your choices are great.  I'm looking forward to seeing Surf's Up, do you think you'll end up writing about that one?

Thanks Zach. It does seem unfair that these albums weren't 'canonised' in the way that, say, The Beatles' back catalogue has been (not that that didn't deserve to). Each album is quietly monumental in its own different way, none more so than Surf's Up which is indeed on the list. In fact I'd wager that most on here would be able to predict the remaining choices quite easily!

By the way, in a totally non-patronising way, well done for having such fine taste so young Smiley Think I'd have been closer to 18 when I first ventured past Pet Sounds and started listening to Sunflower/Surf's Up. I remember I was doing work experience at a book publishing company, photocopying, that kind of thing. The work was stultifying but the music makes that week strangely significant in retrospect (it's when I first started listening to Pixies as well).

This reminds me that I was likely switched onto Sunflower/Surf's Up after seeing them mentioned in conjunction with my favourite band at the time (and still one of them), Super Furry Animals. Anyone else here a fan?
You can't compare any beach boys albums to beatles albums. The only ones that can stand up to what the beatles did are pet sounds,smile sessions & today.

The early stuff is better when you combine the best tracks together onto a single album instead of three album for each year.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 07:31:20 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 06, 2011, 01:37:28 PM »

I bought Today! in vinyl at a record store in my hometown for 18 bucks, newly pressed and in mono.  I was really surprised to see it...it was sitting right next to a vinyl Pet Sounds!

@ the author, I love the blog by the way.  I feel bad for the harsh criticism you've gotten here, being sixteen and constantly struggling to convince my "musically oriented friends" to embrace the Beach Boys leads me to sympathize with your cause.  So many people my age, and into their twenties, who may even call themselves fans, simply know nothing of the beautiful albums the Beach Boys created.  It's really a shame some of the older members on this board jumped at you so quickly.  Personally, knowing your intention to inform the "outside" world of some of the Beach Boys work and exposing the modern record buying public to the music, I think your choices are great.  I'm looking forward to seeing Surf's Up, do you think you'll end up writing about that one?

You mad? I say even the best songs on Pet Sounds are not in the same league as timeless classics such as "Maxwell's Silver Hammer", "All Together Now" and "Within You Without You".
lmfaoooooo  LOL ..thank you i needed that Smiley
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2011, 01:38:28 PM »

I bought Today! in vinyl at a record store in my hometown for 18 bucks, newly pressed and in mono.  I was really surprised to see it...it was sitting right next to a vinyl Pet Sounds!

@ the author, I love the blog by the way.  I feel bad for the harsh criticism you've gotten here, being sixteen and constantly struggling to convince my "musically oriented friends" to embrace the Beach Boys leads me to sympathize with your cause.  So many people my age, and into their twenties, who may even call themselves fans, simply know nothing of the beautiful albums the Beach Boys created.  It's really a shame some of the older members on this board jumped at you so quickly.  Personally, knowing your intention to inform the "outside" world of some of the Beach Boys work and exposing the modern record buying public to the music, I think your choices are great.  I'm looking forward to seeing Surf's Up, do you think you'll end up writing about that one?

The white album had many classics but a lot of garbage as well. wild honey is just all around good Smiley

White album was quite a few classics and some filler material but wild honey as a whole is a great album. Smiley
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 05:42:39 PM by Newguy562 » Logged
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2011, 05:29:13 PM »

I appreciate all the support guys! I have to say though, with many credible people (like Pitchfork) citing the Beach Boys as one of the most influential and respectable artists during the past decade or so, it's become easier to convince my friends of their artistic talent. Especially when I can pull out a 9.1 review Pitchfork gave Smiley Smile or the respectable 8.5 they gave Pacific Ocean Blue. There's plenty of other sources they give deserving praise to Brian Wilson's music as well. I particularly enjoy telling people that Thom Yorke cites Pet Sounds as a major influence on OK Computer.  

Also, @ rocksucker, you've hit the nail right on the head with your statement about Beatles albums compared to the Beach Boys'.  I love the Beatles, but every single one of their albums is glorified as revolutionary and spectacular. The Beach Boys just receive no where near that amount of praise, especially when Help! was released the same time as Today!. I mean come on! Today! IS underrated, because 99% of people have heard of Help!, and 10% (ha. Probably not even) of the record buying public has not heard Today!. How about when With the Beatles is glorified? Now THAT particularly irks me...because an album like Sufer Girl is just leagues better. The list goes on and on...but you get the point. The Beatles are music gods, and, unfortunately the Beach Boys are a classic oldies group that continues to suffer due to poor marketing and representation.

Oh, and by the way, love the Pixies. @ Alholio, yeah, I'm an indie guy too...and I can't imagine facing the indie scene in the late eighties with Still Cruisin being released. Being a Beach Boys must have been REALLY trying. I don't blame you.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 05:33:06 PM by Zach95 » Logged

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2011, 08:16:21 PM »

The early stuff is better when you combine the best tracks together onto a single album instead of three album for each year.

But I was comparing the BBs to the Beatles of the same period, not other BBs albums. I would say that Sgt Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour and Abbey Road were all better then what the BBs did the same year (Unless SMiLE was released in 67 then it beats SP and MMT) Outside of those, I take the BBs every time.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2011, 08:22:19 PM »

But I was comparing the BBs to the Beatles of the same period, not other BBs albums. I would say that Sgt Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour and Abbey Road were all better then what the BBs did the same year (Unless SMiLE was released in 67 then it beats SP and MMT) Outside of those, I take the BBs every time.
I meant that the combined early material is better than the beatles' early stuff.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 06, 2011, 10:00:26 PM »

ok lets compare albums by both at the same time. which ones?
Sutter Cane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 06, 2011, 10:38:22 PM »

You mad? I say even the best songs on Pet Sounds are not in the same league as timeless classics such as "Maxwell's Silver Hammer", "All Together Now" and "Within You Without You".

I happen to quite like Maxwell's Silver Hammer
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 06, 2011, 11:13:23 PM »

wow! you're one of the very few that does like it.
MBE
« Reply #110 on: December 07, 2011, 01:20:56 AM »

I think the whole catalog bar the hits, Pet Sounds, and Smile is under rated by Joe Average.  I think Surfin USA, Shut Down 2, All Summer Long, Today, Summer Days, Pet Sounds, WIld Honey, Friends, 20/20, Sunflower, Surf's Up, Holland, POB, and the two LP or single CD version of the Smile Sessions belongs in every good music collection that covers the period. Others like Surfer Girl, Little Deuce Coupe, the 3 live albums, Party, Smiley, The Flame, So Tough, Spring,  BWPS, and TLOS, are great additional items to get if you love those. As fans it's a different thing I suppose. For example I think the early LP's are really over looked, while too much time is spent on the 1976-80 material. That comes down to taste though as I love rock and roll before it was just "rock".
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 07, 2011, 01:30:16 AM »

I like it all right too.  It's just a catchy little, fairly inconsequential ditty - but so what?  It's silly, stupid fun.  Nothing wrong with that really.  I think part of the stigma of it is that it's McCartney.  If it were a Lennon song I bet people would be more approving.
MBE
« Reply #112 on: December 07, 2011, 02:55:51 AM »

I like it all right too.  It's just a catchy little, fairly inconsequential ditty - but so what?  It's silly, stupid fun.  Nothing wrong with that really.  I think part of the stigma of it is that it's McCartney.  If it were a Lennon song I bet people would be more approving.
I don't hate it but Abbey Road has better songs.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 07, 2011, 06:21:44 AM »

But then again, everything you listed was from at least a year later the Pet Sounds. If you are going to be fair, compare it to the two albums it was chronologically between, that being Rubber Soul and Revolver.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 07, 2011, 12:01:08 PM »

But then again, everything you listed was from at least a year later the Pet Sounds. If you are going to be fair, compare it to the two albums it was chronologically between, that being Rubber Soul and Revolver.
What beach boys albums and beatles albums were released at the same time?
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 07, 2011, 02:40:21 PM »

Don't feel bad, RS.  It wasn't till my 50's that I FINALLY got into Sunflower and Surf's Up.   Grin  OOF!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
rocksucker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 07, 2011, 04:29:38 PM »

Thanks for clearing that one up Wink Tongue

rocksucker.co.uk
rocksucker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 07, 2011, 04:40:07 PM »

Don't feel bad, RS.  It wasn't till my 50's that I FINALLY got into Sunflower and Surf's Up.   Grin  OOF!

Each to their own, eh Smiley How long had they sat with you before they clicked? It has to be the sign of a great band, when so many different albums/songs change so many people's lives at so many different times.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 04:41:31 PM by rocksucker » Logged

rocksucker.co.uk
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 07, 2011, 04:45:05 PM »

Check this thread   http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,11806.msg233971.html#msg233971

MBE
« Reply #119 on: December 07, 2011, 05:43:30 PM »

Thanks for clearing that one up Wink Tongue
Yeah solved a 42 year mystery there!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: December 07, 2011, 05:51:20 PM »

I like Maxwell's Silver Hammer a lot. not everything has to be a grand artistic statement. it's a fun song about MURDER!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 07, 2011, 06:17:39 PM »

Check this thread   http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,11806.msg233971.html#msg233971
Thanks Smiley
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 08, 2011, 04:05:35 AM »

I like Maxwell's Silver Hammer a lot. not everything has to be a grand artistic statement. it's a fun song about MURDER!
The hammer sound effect is cool as well in that song

Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 11, 2011, 07:12:44 AM »

So...when can we expect the next update?  Roll Eyes

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
rocksucker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 09, 2012, 11:58:52 AM »

5. Smiley Smile...

http://jonnyabrams.blogspot.com/2012/01/ten-underappreciated-beach-boys-lps.html

Happy new year everyone Smiley

rocksucker.co.uk
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx