gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:43:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ten Underappreciated Beach Boys Albums  (Read 20916 times)
rocksucker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2011, 02:14:48 AM »

Hello everyone, this is my first post here! I hope you don't mind that it contains a link or consider it spamming - it's kosher

Basically I've been so excited about the imminent release of the SMiLE Sessions that I've been going back through the Beach Boys back catalogue and, to my reckoning, there are at least ten BB albums other than Pet Sounds and SMiLE (in whatever form) that everyone should have, or at least listen to. So I thought I'd choose ten and 'dissect' them each in turn on my blog, and I'd love to know what you think.

First up is Surfer Girl: http://jonnyabrams.b...beach-boys.html

Hope you enjoy reading and I'll post the others up as and when if you'd like me to.

All the best,
Jonny
Rocksucker.co.uk

rocksucker.co.uk
John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 02:19:28 AM »

http://jonnyabrams.blogspot.com/2011/10/top-ten-underappreciated-beach-boys.html

Nice read and it's good to have youtube links to the tracks. Keep it coming!

"It's more blessed to give than receive"

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
rocksucker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 02:35:41 AM »

http://jonnyabrams.blogspot.com/2011/10/top-ten-underappreciated-beach-boys.html

Nice read and it's good to have youtube links to the tracks. Keep it coming!

Cheers John, will do Smiley

rocksucker.co.uk
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 08:51:50 AM »

The premise has me a little thrown. How exactly is one of the best-selling and commercial LP's in the Beach Boys history with several of their most well-known songs considered "under-appreciated"? I can only expect the next nine will have some real "cult" choices like the nearly unknown "All Summer Long" or the universally ignored "Beach Boys Today!" Sorry if that seemed harsh....but these records are all multi-million sellers and have continued to be vastly popular despite their four decades age. From a historical perspective that includes more knowledge than post 1990 revision...I'd say Pet Sounds still ranks as the king of under-appreciated Beach Boys LP's (Sunflower the obvious runner-up), while Smile didn't exist until now. I think the idea of highlighting Beach Boys favorites is always a good idea, and your presentation of the Surfer Girl LP seems genuine. But maybe the premise is actually "Ten Beach Boys LP's other than Smile and Pet Sounds that are good"...or "Ten Beach Boys LP's that people with only minor knowledge of the Beach Boys might under-appreciate"...or "Uninformed critics and modern fans who only acknowledge Pet Sounds and Smile when thinking of the Beach Boys should check some of their other albums out too...here's ten of them." Just a thought.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 08:53:10 AM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
rocksucker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 09:11:28 AM »

The premise has me a little thrown. How exactly is one of the best-selling and commercial LP's in the Beach Boys history with several of their most well-known songs considered "under-appreciated"? I can only expect the next nine will have some real "cult" choices like the nearly unknown "All Summer Long" or the universally ignored "Beach Boys Today!" Sorry if that seemed harsh....but these records are all multi-million sellers and have continued to be vastly popular despite their four decades age. From a historical perspective that includes more knowledge than post 1990 revision...I'd say Pet Sounds still ranks as the king of under-appreciated Beach Boys LP's (Sunflower the obvious runner-up), while Smile didn't exist until now. I think the idea of highlighting Beach Boys favorites is always a good idea, and your presentation of the Surfer Girl LP seems genuine. But maybe the premise is actually "Ten Beach Boys LP's other than Smile and Pet Sounds that are good"...or "Ten Beach Boys LP's that people with only minor knowledge of the Beach Boys might under-appreciate"...or "Uninformed critics and modern fans who only acknowledge Pet Sounds and Smile when thinking of the Beach Boys should check some of their other albums out too...here's ten of them." Just a thought.

I think you could use some fresh air.

Just a thought.

rocksucker.co.uk
The Demon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 09:25:12 AM »

Yeah, but aside from Beach Boys fans, who cares about "Today" or "All Summer Long"?  And even though the early albums have popular hits, how many people (including Beach Boys fans) really love those albums as albums?  "Surfer Girl" is a perfect choice.  It's not "Pet Sounds" or "Smile," and it gets talked about less than "cult" picks like "Smiley Smile," "Sunflower," or "Love You."  You have to make a good argument for "Surfer Girl" with non-fans, instead of picking some quirky easy pick like "Love You" to show people how "weird"  and "essential" Brian Wilson is.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 09:26:35 AM »

Wow, pretty rude for just your third post. So, it's OK for you to write about and critique Beach Boys albums, but not OK to critique your blog?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 09:26:59 AM »

well being that this is my 2653rd post, I will also say that Jon gets a little worked up sometimes when he's defending something.

I do not know anyone (that I have not met through internet Beach Boys forums) who has heard of the album Surfer Girl. fact. most people only know Pet Sounds, therefore everything else is underappreciated. yeah it sold a lot at the time and there's some popular songs on it, but has it ever been on a "Top Albums" list in a magazine or anything like that? is there a tribute album to it? did Brian go on an entire tour dedicated to the record? Is there a boxset of its sessions?

No.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 09:28:54 AM by Aegir » Logged

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 09:32:25 AM »

Yeah, but aside from Beach Boys fans, who cares about "Today" or "All Summer Long"?  And even though the early albums have popular hits, how many people (including Beach Boys fans) really love those albums as albums?  "Surfer Girl" is a perfect choice.  It's not "Pet Sounds" or "Smile," and it gets talked about less than "cult" picks like "Smiley Smile," "Sunflower," or "Love You."  You have to make a good argument for "Surfer Girl" with non-fans, instead of picking some quirky easy pick like "Love You" to show people how "weird"  and "essential" Brian Wilson is.
Well, you tell me how so many young people here on this board alone, know so much about those albums? You start out hearing the hits, and if you are taken by them, you delve further into their catalog. Luckily, they are not so under-appreciated that they cannot be found on CD or even LPs, again. Everything is available if you wish to seek them out.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 09:37:47 AM »

well being that this is my 2653rd post, I will also say that Jon gets a little worked up sometimes when he's defending something.

I do not know anyone (that I have not met through internet Beach Boys forums) who has heard of the album Surfer Girl. fact. most people only know Pet Sounds, therefore everything else is underappreciated. yeah it sold a lot at the time and there's some popular songs on it, but has it ever been on a "Top Albums" list in a magazine or anything like that? is there a tribute album to it? did Brian go on an entire tour dedicated to the record? Is there a boxset of its sessions?

No.
is there a box set for any of their 30 plus albums other than PS? They are only under appreciated if you know about them. In your scenario they are simply unknown. That is the job of we fanatics; to spread the word about their music. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 09:48:26 AM »

There's a reason albums like Smiley Smile and Sunflower get discussed more on these forums, its because outside of this forum and the more hardcore BB fans no one really knows about them, even in this day and age. Surfer Girl on the other hand is definitely one of the more commercial albums even if just in terms of the songs on it, Surfer Girl, Hawaii, Catch a Wave, In My Room and Little Deuce Coupe! These songs all define the BB image as a fun in the sun surfin band. (Not that there's anything wrong with that! Wink)
The Demon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 09:55:37 AM »

Yeah, but aside from Beach Boys fans, who cares about "Today" or "All Summer Long"?  And even though the early albums have popular hits, how many people (including Beach Boys fans) really love those albums as albums?  "Surfer Girl" is a perfect choice.  It's not "Pet Sounds" or "Smile," and it gets talked about less than "cult" picks like "Smiley Smile," "Sunflower," or "Love You."  You have to make a good argument for "Surfer Girl" with non-fans, instead of picking some quirky easy pick like "Love You" to show people how "weird"  and "essential" Brian Wilson is.
Well, you tell me how so many young people here on this board alone, know so much about those albums? You start out hearing the hits, and if you are taken by them, you delve further into their catalog. Luckily, they are not so under-appreciated that they cannot be found on CD or even LPs, again. Everything is available if you wish to seek them out.

That's what I'm trying to say, though--most people don't seek this stuff out.  The types of people who do seek it out end up here.  And that's why I think "Surfer Girl" is as legitimate a pick as most of their albums.

There's a reason albums like Smiley Smile and Sunflower get discussed more on these forums, its because outside of this forum and the more hardcore BB fans no one really knows about them, even in this day and age. Surfer Girl on the other hand is definitely one of the more commercial albums even if just in terms of the songs on it, Surfer Girl, Hawaii, Catch a Wave, In My Room and Little Deuce Coupe! These songs all define the BB image as a fun in the sun surfin band. (Not that there's anything wrong with that! )

Those are singles, though.  Most people don't care about the albums.

rocksucker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 09:58:17 AM »

Wow, pretty rude for just your third post. So, it's OK for you to write about and critique Beach Boys albums, but not OK to critique your blog?

Critique away. If you're happy to stay clear of unnecessary sarkiness then I'd be more than happy to engage you in a debate about my blog and/or one of my favourite bands of all time.

Just a thought/Hope this helps/Some other such condescending sign-off Wink
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 10:07:58 AM by rocksucker » Logged

rocksucker.co.uk
rocksucker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 10:04:14 AM »

No.

You put it better than I, sir Smiley

rocksucker.co.uk
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 11:04:14 AM »

Personally, i tend to overlook (aka-not listen to as much as i should), the following. Shut Down Vol 2, Summer Days and Summer Nights, Party!, 20/20, Surf's Up, So Tough, and L.A Light.
On the other hand, i may over-appreciate a couple....based on some people's thoughts on them. M.I.U., Keeping the Summer Alive and BB's '85.
I'm in no way saying i think certain albums are better than others, just that some get played more occasionally than others.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 11:05:34 AM by BiNNS » Logged
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 11:06:12 AM »

Genuine question Dr, albeit slightly facetious.

how many posts are considered acceptable before one can start being rude? I'd hate to have exceeded it and still being unnecessarily polite.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 11:20:11 AM »

Genuine question Dr, albeit slightly facetious.

how many posts are considered acceptable before one can start being rude? I'd hate to have exceeded it and still being unnecessarily polite.
Fair question. I probably should have added: Par for this board; you fit right in. Still, it doesn't mean that it is right. I am beginning to think it is the effects of being behind the Internet. I still say if we were discussing topics in a real room, face to face, we would act much more polite to each other. I guess whether being punched in the face is a detriment to acting rude in person versus acting rude in here. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2011, 11:37:16 AM »

Interestingly, it's got a lot to do with avator use as well (but first let me say I don't think rocksucker was that rude. I read it more as defensive) Anyway, Avator use, anonimity. People act out new personas. Whereas if you use your real name you tend to adhere to social constraints more.

So does this mean Old Surfer Dude is actually a vicar?

Mikie is a shy, suburban housewife?

And me? Well I'm so nice, but that's because Iron-Horse Apples is my real name. Stephen Newcombe is my nome-de-plume

Anyhoo

Surfer Girl

My first Beach Boys album, love it. No filler IMO.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2011, 11:37:53 AM »

At the risk of being rude, let me say that to call the Surfer Girl LP "under-appreciated" is ill-informed and naive. Shortly after release it went Gold and to this day remains THE ONLY original Beach Boys album to include four songs to be featured on Oldies radio: "Surfer Girl," "Catch A Wave," "In My Room," and "Little Deuce Coupe." No other Beach Boys album can boast that claim. What makes it even more impressive is that most Oldies stations have bracketed their playlists between 1964 and 1985 (Beatlemania to No Jacket Required.) The fact that the Surfer Girl songs have survived is nothing if not a testament to how popular that album's songs remain.
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2011, 11:41:24 AM »

One could make the case that, excepting Pet Sounds and the Smile stuff, just about every Beach Boys album is under appreciated.  Some deserve to be, but most, whether they sold well at the time or not, and whether they are still loved today by a certain segment of the listening public or not, still could qualify as being under appreciated.   For all the reappraising that has gone on about the band and the music it created, they still seem under appreciated to me.  
And even with Smile, I mean here we are just a week or so from the release of the "most famous unreleased album of all time" and things seem pretty quiet, I mean yes, there's a lot going on in the world, but where's the promotion?  They're focusing on lighted boxes and surf boards.  Isn't it something that at a time when the USA is perhaps at it's most f***ked up, when people are beginning to rise up again against the tyranny that has ruled them for so long now, and they're seriously questioning what this country is about and what we're doing, that this music should finally see it's release?  A symphony about America, manifest destiny, heroes and villains, the natural world, childhood, innocence, [i]spiritual enlightenment[/i]....this album is as relevant today as it ever might have been.
Anyway, I love Surfer Girl and think it is an early masterpiece.  Great album.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2011, 11:43:19 AM »

most people only know Pet Sounds, therefore everything else is underappreciated.

Not really, unless "most people" are under 40....which they are not. The Surfer Girl album was everywhere for decades...everybody had one in 1965...a ton of people still had one in 1975...it remained in print forever...reissued, etc...it sold multi-millions of copies. It was, and still is greatly appreciated by at least two generations of music fans who made it a giant mainstream commercial success.  A box set from it, that's just dumb...the thought is entirely out of context and has nothing to do with any realistic chronology of music history. Pet Sounds is an artistic peak that was slowly discovered, appreciated, celebrated, and then over-saturated by a generation who eagerly caught on decades after the fact. Box set... of course, that's what '90's people do. Although not among my favorite BB's LP's, I know enough to know that Surfer Girl was a mega-hit album in its time, and remained a favorite for decades. Extremely appreciated it was...and is...unless maybe you discovered the Beach Boys through a Mojo article...or AFTER buying a Brian solo CD. This isn't about getting worked up, its just simple historical perspective. Surfer Girl = A Very Appreciated Record by the Beach Boys.

Surfer Girl - On the U.S. charts for 50 WEEKS
Surfer Girl - 9th highest charting Beach Boys album out of thousands LOL
Surfer Girl - Ties for 4th highest rated Beach Boys LP in Rolling Stone Album Guide
Surfer Girl - Appreciation rating 84%
Surfer Girl - Not all that popular in the Stebbins house, but always appreciated
Nicko1234
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2011, 11:59:10 AM »

At the risk of being rude, let me say that to call the Surfer Girl LP "under-appreciated" is ill-informed and naive. Shortly after release it went Gold and to this day remains THE ONLY original Beach Boys album to include four songs to be featured on Oldies radio: "Surfer Girl," "Catch A Wave," "In My Room," and "Little Deuce Coupe." No other Beach Boys album can boast that claim. What makes it even more impressive is that most Oldies stations have bracketed their playlists between 1964 and 1985 (Beatlemania to No Jacket Required.) The fact that the Surfer Girl songs have survived is nothing if not a testament to how popular that album's songs remain.

Just because an album sold well at the time and has a few famous songs doesn't necessarily mean that it is highly appreciated. For example, I have seen quite a few write-ups of the band that list which albums should be listened to and only Today, Pet Sounds and every album from Smiley Smile to Holland are included. The early stuff is considered disposable by many.

Jon Stebbins' misanthropic post was bizarre and I'm not sure why anybody would want to get worked up over a fan writing an appraisal of one of his favourite works. Surely there are other things in the world worth directing your frustrations towards.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »

He's trying to tell you, quite cordially, actually, that back in the day, Surfer Girl was not an under-appreciated album and neither is it amongst fans today.  It's probably the first fully-realised BB album, one that doesn't rely on isntrumentals (which I kinda like) or weaker songs to beef out a couple of strong numbers. When I saw the title of the thread, I was wondering where you were going with it.  Under appreciated to me would be Carl and the Passions and maybe (just maybe) L.A. and 15 B.O. Even I wouldn't go as far as MIU.
Nicko1234
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2011, 12:18:17 PM »

He's trying to tell you, quite cordially, actually, that back in the day, Surfer Girl was not an under-appreciated album and neither is it amongst fans today.  It's probably the first fully-realised BB album, one that doesn't rely on isntrumentals (which I kinda like) or weaker songs to beef out a couple of strong numbers. When I saw the title of the thread, I was wondering where you were going with it.  Under appreciated to me would be Carl and the Passions and maybe (just maybe) L.A. and 15 B.O. Even I wouldn't go as far as MIU.

How it sold back in the day isn't relevant to how appreciated it is now though. Same goes for Pet Sounds. Not sure how anyone could sensibly argue that Pet Sounds is under-appreciated in 2011???

Amongst hardcore fans Surfer Girl is indeed appreciated but most music fans will never have heard of it and the same goes for every BBs album other than Pet Sounds and Smile. The exact point of the OP's post.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2011, 12:46:49 PM »

I think that under appreciated could have a different meaning to different people. For example the Rock n Roll Music single of 76 was a big hit by the masses, but I bet it is not very appreciated on this board. Babarann was a huge hit and one of their most played on the radio but not very many love it on this board. MIU as well. Friends and Wild Honey are highly appreciated on this board but not by the masses. It depends on what point of view I guess. Perhaps to Rock Sucker and in his circle these are under appreciated albums. It all depends on generation, geography and weather or not the fans are hard core BB fans or casual fans.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx