gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:34:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stereo Smile Sessions Album  (Read 6217 times)
ApolloSkye
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2011, 04:53:59 PM »

I hate mono audio. to me it makes it seem low-fi even if it isnt. who's gonna piece together a stereo mix from the box set?

Warped Beach Boys pop with lush effects and beautiful melodies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTnBc_-QCXk
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 04:59:29 PM »

to me it makes it seem low-fi even if it isnt.

No.

Also, disc 1 is likely in mono out of necessity much more so than "It's what Brian would have done in '67." Some of this stuff is impossible to mix in stereo, period.

Regardless, nothing "lo-fi" about mono. I'm sure many bad "stereo for the sake of stereo" fan mix attempts will be made.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
MaroonMike
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 05:05:30 PM »

Some of this stuff is impossible to mix in stereo, period.

I respectfully disagree on this.  With the tools today, I am sure anything could receive a stereo mix.  Hell, we probably could even do 5.1 mixes.

Just listen to the stereo H&V versus the mono mix on TSS.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 05:12:04 PM »

Some of this stuff is impossible to mix in stereo, period.

I respectfully disagree on this.  With the tools today, I am sure anything could receive a stereo mix.  Hell, we probably could even do 5.1 mixes.

Just listen to the stereo H&V versus the mono mix on TSS.

D'you even know much about these "tools today"? Only so much can be done, especially in some cases, and just because you can mix something in stereo doesn't mean it won't sound like dicks because you're forcing something that isn't supposed to be.

I'd rather a solid mono mix than a ridiculous amount of phasing etc. that comes with attempting to make something stereo that isn't, using chorus for "fake stereo", etc. What's the point? It sounds awful 9 times out of 10, and that 10th time still doesn't sound that good.

What about the stereo "Heroes And Villains" versus the mono mix on TSS? The multitracks, in some form, still exist for "Heroes And Villains". There was no modern technological trickery involved, there.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 05:43:01 PM »

i'm sure that you won't need to manually put together a stereo mix, just put together a playlist replacing the mono tracks with available stereo tracks from the other discs
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 05:44:32 PM »

i'm sure that you won't need to manually put together a stereo mix, just put together a playlist replacing the mono tracks with available stereo tracks from the other discs

Easy 'nough imo. This is basically what I intend to do when there are legit stereo versions available. Thankfully, it seems as though when there were stereo takes available, they made other discs on TSS, so yer straight, really.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 07:13:17 PM »

From an audio engineering point of view, requesting SMiLE in stereo shows a lack of understanding of the way these audio sessions were recorded. In mono, it's absolutely imperative to get your bass levels correct otherwise your trebles will take over on the mix, hence why so many sixties songs sound 'tinny'. But you don't get that with the Beach Boys (or Beatles) recordings right? No way, would I opt to lose out on the way the bass and brass have been mixed during the Pet Sounds/SMiLE era.

"It's more blessed to give than receive"

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 07:37:40 PM »

I personally prefer the stereo remixes just because they sound clearer and more "open". I know there is a "mono is king" cult among BBs fans, but a lot of the stuff on Today, Summer Days, PS, Smile stuff, Smiley, and Wild Honey seem way too muddy sounding to me.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 07:53:03 PM »

I personally prefer the stereo remixes just because they sound clearer and more "open". I know there is a "mono is king" cult among BBs fans, but a lot of the stuff on Today, Summer Days, PS, Smile stuff, Smiley, and Wild Honey seem way too muddy sounding to me.

In stereo, as a producer, you certainly have more space to balance the mix of your song. Another interesting thing to reflect on is the fact that the songs from the Pet Sounds era were mixed for listening on a average mono home LP Hi-Fi system. This current mix of SMiLE is totally different to that era from the sixties. Today, pop songs have to be mixed to sound good on anything ranging from the geek-type hi-fidelity audio surround set-ups to listening on iPods. Hence, Alan Boyd's recent statement on how hard the mix was on SMiLE. Apart from putting the fragments together, getting that balance right also would have been a long drawn-out process.

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 08:01:41 PM »

It's not so much a "mono is always better" thing. If a good stereo mix exists of a Beach Boys song, then that's usually the one I'll go for. I just saw a ton of complaints made over the first disc of TSS being in mono. Some of this stuff just can not be made stereo in any decent manner, and I think it's okay to be able to live with that rather than try to force anything. If a fanmix has a track in stereo going into another track that's mono, it's not the end of the world.

Just the same, I don't like the mentality of mono always being inferior or of lower quality. That's not how it is, imo.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 08:03:06 PM »

I realize mono was the standard in the 60s and that the old style stereo mixes leave a lot to be desired. But its not just BBs in mono that frustrates me...a lot of Motown, Stax, Spector, girl group stuff, etc. cries out for the remix treatment.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 08:36:55 PM »

I just saw a ton of complaints made over the first disc of TSS being in mono.

Where? Here or Hoffman no doubt!

oldsurferdude
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 08:45:01 PM »

OK-let's see a show of hands for good ol' DUOPHONIC! I said hands, not obscene gestures. All you young whipper-snappers here never had to deal with much of that electronic reprocessing b/s very much-consider yourselves blessed. Capitol loved doing just that to BB albums-I don't remember any Beatle albums with that treatment-usually they were in stereo. Try finding an old copy of PS in duophonic-tell me what you think-glad those days are long behind us all! Head Spin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 11:48:35 PM »

I hate mono audio. to me it makes it seem low-fi even if it isnt. who's gonna piece together a stereo mix from the box set?

Trust me, the mono mix on CD1 is so damn good, you'll forget it's not stereo.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 11:59:44 PM »

Well from 1st nov we will see a stereo Smile won't we?. A lot of the tracks are mixed into stereo as extra tracks on the box set as for the rest of the tracks I'm sure their will be fan mixes with music. From this and the sessions too. I can't wait to make my own up (for personal use only of course) Wink
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 12:35:07 AM »

On thing I would have liked to be included extra are some clean mono and stereo mixes of some of the songs (Look without the flow in vocals, Holidays without the ending vocals, etc). I'm going to make a disc using the stereo session material (the master takes) and edit them out of the sessions and give them a basic fade out, and include a mono and a stereo mix.

I'm sure there will be some new stereo album mixes made by fans, and I hope some of them may be as good (or even better) as Purple Chick's stereo mix. The advantage of having this new disc 1 mix is that a new, complete fan mix doesn't have to use parts of BWPS.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 12:39:42 AM »

On thing I would have liked to be included extra are some clean mono and stereo mixes of some of the songs (Look without the flow in vocals, Holidays without the ending vocals, etc). I'm going to make a disc using the stereo session material (the master takes) and edit them out of the sessions and give them a basic fade out, and include a mono and a stereo mix.

I know a stereo mix of "Holidays" sans flown in vocals is on the box set. Could be true for "Look", too.

I'm sure there will be some new stereo album mixes made by fans, and I hope some of them may be as good (or even better) as Purple Chick's stereo mix. The advantage of having this new disc 1 mix is that a new, complete fan mix doesn't have to use parts of BWPS.

Having excellent source material in 2011 is gonna drastically improve fan mixes.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 08:33:48 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2011, 01:02:05 AM »

On thing I would have liked to be included extra are some clean mono and stereo mixes of some of the songs (Look without the flow in vocals, Holidays without the ending vocals, etc).

Anyone else here reading this with their lower jaw in their lap ? 5CDs of material and you want more ?  Move over, Oliver twist...

Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2011, 02:04:16 AM »

On thing I would have liked to be included extra are some clean mono and stereo mixes of some of the songs (Look without the flow in vocals, Holidays without the ending vocals, etc).

Anyone else here reading this with their lower jaw in their lap ? 5CDs of material and you want more ?  Move over, Oliver twist...

O, I really, really didn't mean to sound spoiled or unsatisfied with what we get. I am very happy that TSS is coming out, I'm totally happy with what I get, but just like some people would have wanted the CIFOTM mono mix to be included, I just named a few things that would have made TSS box set extra good for me.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2011, 02:05:37 AM »

O, I really, really didn't mean to sound spoiled or unsatisfied with what we get. I am very happy that TSS is coming out, I'm totally happy with what I get, but just like some people would have wanted the CIFOTM mono mix to be included, I just named a few things that would have made TSS box set extra good for me.

You need to spend less time hanging out with that Cohen dude.  Grin

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2011, 02:12:18 AM »

Mono - pah.

Old stuff sucks.

Weren't people stupid in the old days eh?

WRONG

Mono is an art form, to be appreciated by those of us with ears.

A crisper yet rounded sound. Depth is the key rather than width.
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2011, 02:49:07 AM »

Purple Chick set the standard for me with his Smile reconstruction. Just imagine how an improved stereo fan mix by Purple Chick himself would sound with this new, upgraded source material.

In any case, the reconstruction on disc 1 is going to be some sort of definitive mix for me. I think it's just great to finally have a finished, official Smile cd, standing next to all the other Beach Boys albums.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 02:52:18 AM by Paul2010 » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2011, 03:04:01 AM »

You definitely need to hear JMZ's SMiLE mix then - much better stereo. Purple Chick is kinda clunky and the pitch shifts f*ck me off.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2011, 03:04:59 AM »

You definitely need to hear JMZ's SMiLE mix then - much better stereo. Purple Chick is kinda clunky and the pitch shifts f*ck me off.

Yeah, I have it. It's a great fan mix, some stereo tracks sound really good.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2011, 03:51:43 AM »

Mono - pah.

Old stuff sucks.

Weren't people stupid in the old days eh?

WRONG

Mono is an art form, to be appreciated by those of us with ears.

A crisper yet rounded sound. Depth is the key rather than width.

When I got the Beatles Mono box I finally got mono. There is something special, focused and more powerful about the sound. Stoked that the disc 1 approximation of Smile is going to be this way.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx