gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680880 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 04:08:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Dutch TV Holland Documentary Question  (Read 3332 times)
Will C.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2011, 07:43:37 PM »

Hey guys, I've got a question regarding the Beach Boys Holland documentary that aired on Dutch TV a couple years back.  For any of you who haven't had the opportunity to view it and are interested, you can check it out here -

http://www.uitzendinggemist.nl/index.php/aflevering?aflID=8924011&md5=e0a50d5cd0d603c40bd92f038d4852e6

The above link will bring you to a site.  There will be an orange tab at the bottom left that says "bekijk uitzending."  If you click that, the video will play.

Okay, so a highlight of this documentary for me is the 16:40-18:10 mark.  This is the most I've seen footage-wise of Carl in the studio working on the album.  I've seen this same footage elsewhere (Endless Harmony DVD I believe), but not quite this much.  Also, you also see some of an interview with Carl from 1983 (it says Veronica 1983).  Does anybody know where I could view this interview in full without the Holland music playing beneath it?  I am dying to see that entire interview!  I know there's a lot of collector's and knowledgeable individuals on this board, so I figured I'd ask!  If anybody could point me in the right direction, I would be truly, truly grateful. 

For those of you who haven't yet seen it, enjoy the documentary!  It's not all in English, but a good amount of it is!

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 12:59:31 AM »

Click **HERE** and you'll get a run-down of the programme in question. Unfortunately, it's in the archive of the Institute for Sound and Vision (Nederlands Instituut voor Beeld en Geluid) and only available for professional use. The Carl interview is about (roughly translation) "their musical youth, Chuck Berry's influence on their music and how The Beach Boys began. Also, the influence on their music of The Beatles' success and the problems with brother Brian. Their dealings with the Maharishi and the influence this had on their music. Their new manager and their performance at the Grand Gala du Disque in 1972; and their stay in the Netherlands".

Wish I could have found more. I saw that "Holland" documentary in the Andere Tijden series----great to see Blondie in a Dutch pub! And Rieley cracked me up.   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 06:20:29 AM »

I have referred to this before, but no problem to do it again: here's a translation of all Dutch-spoken parts of the documentary.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,6862.msg110316.html#msg110316

The interviews with Jack Rieley and Blondie Chaplin were newly recorded. The interview bits with Carl Wilson were from a Dutch version of the "Story Of The Beach Boys", a docu largely based on the It's OK special. I think that interview with CW - early 80ies - was in fact specifically done for that Dutch docu, broadcasted in 1983 and 1985 (and maybe more often, but these are the recordings I have on video).

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Will C.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 03:33:01 PM »

Thanks so much for the response John K... I knew somebody here would give me the lowdown! Smile-Holland, I knew somebody had shared some information and translations in the past, but I couldn't remember who.  Thank you for chiming in again and sharing thoughts and knowledge.  Those responses were a one-two punch that gave me all the info I was hoping to discover!!

Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 03:03:27 AM »

To be extremely correct, Baambrugge where some of the Holland-album was recorded, isn't even part of Holland.  Smokin

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 03:26:21 AM »

To be extremely correct, Baambrugge where some of the Holland-album was recorded, isn't even part of Holland.  Smokin

Geographically, yes, you're right. Baambrugge lies in the province of Utrecht, not the provinces of North- or South-Holland. But all part of a country called The Netherlands though (aka Holland for most non Dutch citizens).

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 03:35:15 AM »

holland schmolland

I'm thankful they host that documentary.

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Will C.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 07:52:00 AM »

Anybody know where I can view that "The Story Of The Beach Boys" DVD without paying around 50 USD?

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 02:42:19 AM »

Anybody know where I can view that "The Story Of The Beach Boys" DVD without paying around 50 USD?

You mean the Dutch '83 & '85 version? That would be on my dvd-recorder at home...  Grin  (which is probably only a lucrative option if you don't have to buy a plane ticket in order to get here in the first place). Or PM me if you want.

Will C.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 08:18:29 PM »

SMiLE-Holland, you're the man!  I'm about to do that right now!

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 08:55:29 PM »

You mean the Dutch '83 & '85 version? That would be on my dvd-recorder at home...  Grin  (which is probably only a lucrative option if you don't have to buy a plane ticket in order to get here in the first place). Or PM me if you want.

Could you simply charter a plane( to your house) for anyone that wants to see it, and pay for it from your petty cash?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 01:31:03 PM »

Could you simply charter a plane( to your house) for anyone that wants to see it, and pay for it from your petty cash?

Ah, but unfortunately currently there's not too much petty cash around here...  Roll Eyes  (buying a new house and all)

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 03:37:20 PM »

Ah, but unfortunately currently there's not too much petty cash around here...  Roll Eyes  (buying a new house and all)

Perhaps your new home will need new floors, and when you take the old ones up you'll find a treasure( just dying to be spent)!!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 06:40:03 AM »

Perhaps your new home will need new floors, and when you take the old ones up you'll find a treasure( just dying to be spent)!!

when we broke out the tile floor last week, all I found was a 2 Eurocent coin.... and a lot of concrete ... not exactly the treasure I had in mind.  Grin

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx