gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:49:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Just got the box set (*spoiler)  (Read 22617 times)
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2011, 08:48:46 AM »

Keep in mind that less than 10 years ago, you were considered an outcast if you even mentioned officially released Smile tracks over on the bloo. talk of the album was openly taboo. Shortly after BWPS came out Brian himself stated on the same board that the original tapes would be released when, "hell freezes over". Here we are less than a week away from official release with Brian openly endorsing the set. I think that gets lost in the criticisms of mono/stereo, flown in/incomplete, grail/remix discussion. I for one will be happy to walk into a shop and see the storefront welcoming me. Joyous days indeed.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 08:53:53 AM by Mooger Fooger » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2011, 09:07:15 AM »

Keep in mind that less than 10 years ago, you were considered an outcast if you even mentioned officially released Smile tracks over on the bloo. talk of the album was openly taboo. Shortly after BWPS came out Brian himself stated on the same board that the original tapes would be released when, "hell freezes over". Here we are less than a week away from official release with Brian openly endorsing the set. I think that gets lost in the criticisms of mono/stereo, flown in/incomplete, grail/remix discussion. I for one will be happy to walk into a shop and see the storefront welcoming me. Joyous days indeed.
More reasons to dislike the bloo, who cares if they talked about SMiLE, Brian never even uses a computer anyway. "brian" on the bloo was melinda LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jason
« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2011, 09:15:56 AM »

I can imagine that Lord Beelzebub himself is lounging about with some polar bears in a newly-frozen hell.
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2011, 09:17:58 AM »

Looks like the volcanic ash came along at just the right time.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2011, 10:10:26 AM »

There was a version of H&V that was YouTubed for an hour about 3 years ago that had the Swedish Frog chant playing underneath the Cantina vox... I was hoping it would somehow make it onto this box....Perhaps someone May remember what I am referring to. I really dug it.

Only 10 more days left of my SMiLE! fasting...it makes up for about 3 years of bad Lenten practices, I suppose...if even in some small way....
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2011, 12:11:02 PM »

6 days for me... 3D

This is the last weekend ever with a non-official Smile release.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2011, 12:32:47 PM »

Six days until the most important Beach Boys release of the last couple decades sees international release. No leak. wat. teh. hell.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2011, 01:22:58 PM »

The first of the pre-release copies have shipped and are being dispersed to key personnel.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2011, 01:44:01 PM »

More reasons to dislike the bloo, who cares if they talked about SMiLE, Brian never even uses a computer anyway. "brian" on the bloo was melinda LOL

Brian has mentioned many times that he does not use a computer, and I believe him.  I find that fact kind of odd and sad, though.   To some extent, his age is an excuse.  I'm sure there are many 69-year-old men out there who don't use computers.  But in Brian's case, we're talking about a bright, wealthy guy who was certainly adept at using all sorts of  electronic devices when he was a young man.  My parents are older than Brian, and they are able to use computers, surf the web, etc.  

Brian has some mental-health issues, but clearly that shouldn't be an issue.  If psychiatric problems kept people offline, this board would be empty.  LOL

I don't know.  Maybe he simply has no interest.  Or maybe it speaks to a certain isolation/loneliness.  Perhaps no one is close enough to him or has cared enough to buy him an iMac and sit down with him for half a day or so to show him how to use it.  If that's the case, I find it incredibly sad.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2011, 01:48:55 PM »

Brian has mentioned many times that he does not use a computer, and I believe him.  I find that fact kind of odd and sad, though.   To some extent, his age is an excuse.  I'm sure there are many 69-year-old men out there who don't use computers.  But in Brian's case, we're talking about a bright, wealthy guy who was certainly adept at using all sorts of  electronic devices when he was a young man.  My parents are older than Brian, and they are able to use computers, surf the web, etc.  

Brian has some mental-health issues, but clearly that shouldn't be an issue.  If psychiatric problems kept people offline, this board would be empty.  LOL

I don't know.  Maybe he simply has no interest.  Or maybe it speaks to a certain isolation/loneliness.  Perhaps no one is close enough to him or has cared enough to buy him an iMac and sit down with him for half a day or so to show him how to use it.  If that's the case, I find it incredibly sad.
Good points, Brian if he used a computer he would  love youtube and various programs that play music. Heck social media would be good for him to bring out his funny side chating to people. Grin
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 01:51:21 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2011, 01:58:02 PM »

My parents are older than Brian, and they are able to use computers, surf the web, etc.  

Only technologically inept folk used to the phrase "surf the web" past 1996. You are a poor judge of such things and Brian is a wizard of some sort.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2011, 02:15:18 PM »

My parents are older than Brian, and they are able to use computers, surf the web, etc.  

Only technologically inept folk used to the phrase "surf the web" past 1996. You are a poor judge of such things and Brian is a wizard of some sort.

Exhibit A in my point about mental health issues being no bar to computer usage.  Razz
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2011, 02:15:55 PM »

Exhibit A in my point about mental health issues being no bar to computer usage.  Razz

« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 02:28:03 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
The Demon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2011, 03:02:51 PM »

Good points, Brian if he used a computer he would  love youtube and various programs that play music. Heck social media would be good for him to bring out his funny side chating to people. Grin

He could have people here tell him how much they hate what he's done with his music Tongue
John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2011, 08:33:23 PM »

For me, earcandy's review renders Leila's revelation as meaningless.

"It's more blessed to give than receive"

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2011, 09:04:11 PM »

As you say, maybe he has no interest, but I can't help but think that Brian would be at least somewhat curious about computers from a musical standpoint.  In his heyday Brian was all about pushing the limits of the technology available to him, so I would think that some small part of him must be curious about modern recording technology and its uses.  Or maybe he's happy to let others worry about how the sound gets recorded and doesn't really care how it all gets done.  But the mind boggles to think of what an interested Brian could do if armed with a MacBook loaded with recording software that he actually knew how to use.
JeremyM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2011, 10:19:03 PM »

1-12 Surf's Up  (4:12) - 1st section - Brian vocals (as it should be!). "By gone, by gone" background vocals added generously.  The horn "answer" sections are boosted, which is great. "Are you sleeping" harmonies added. "Are you sleeping" background vocals added.  2nd section - basically the 1971 version.  But...I still prefer the Ann Wallace version for simplicty and pure beauty!

I kind of agree.  My favourite Surf's Up is still a mix someone did that sounds like the Anne Wallace for the first half, and the piano Brian solo demo for the second all the way, but in stereo.  Still, this new version is REALLY nice and I liked what they did with the tag among other parts.
JDShadow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2011, 12:37:32 PM »

..on Surf's Up--"Canvass the town and brush the backdrop"  Am I going deaf or is that Carl from the '71 version?

It's Automatic...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2011, 12:39:28 PM »

..on Surf's Up--"Canvass the town and brush the backdrop"  Am I going deaf or is that Carl from the '71 version?

No, you're not, and yes, it is.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2011, 01:20:29 PM »

Asking someone to mark a thread 'Spoiler' ain't too much to ask...

What else do you think a thread titled "Just got the box set" may contain?

I wasn't referring to this one, for obvious reasons - it has spoiler in the title! - just for others.  Smiley

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2011, 01:23:56 PM »

Re. Brian not using a computer....I think another factor can contribute: indolence.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2011, 10:01:57 PM »

..on Surf's Up--"Canvass the town and brush the backdrop"  Am I going deaf or is that Carl from the '71 version?

No, you're not, and yes, it is.

Could both be true, though. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 10:04:19 PM by Micha » Logged

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 25, 2011, 06:08:48 AM »

The great thing about this collection is the possibilities - I am already gonna do a "fan mix" which will try and recreate a "what if" of a 1967 vinyl LP, using the track listings on the back of the original cover.  This means consolidating a few tracks ("Gee" into "H&V"; "I'm In Great Shape" and "Barnyard"; "I Wanna Be Around", The Elements" and "Love to Say Dada" - deleting "Look" and "Holidays" (which I feel would NOT have been on a 1967 version!)

More of the rest coming soon as I give it a better listen...

Great stuff, I can't wait for the fan mix after I've pored over TSS!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx