gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:36:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Worst live act you've ever seen in person.  (Read 27715 times)
Ken.W
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« on: December 27, 2005, 11:00:21 AM »

With a nod to Luther's 'Best' topic, list the very WORST gig you've ever been to .. and why.

I'm still thinking of the best one I've been to ( .. very, very hard to do), but my own worst one was the reformed Spear Of Destiny gig after the line-up that produced 'One Eyed Jacks' had disbanded.

Lacklustre performance from a band that hadn't the chemistry to "get it right" in any way, shape or form. A pityfull night for all SOD fans .. Wolverhampton Civic Hall .. sometime in the late '80's.

Go for it, fellow music fans ..

"You're entitled to protect your copyright. You're not entitled to control the Internet," - Federal Court Justice Murray Wilcox
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 11:01:38 AM »

Todd Rundgren.

Bored, disinterested, drunk and obnoxious. And so was he.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 11:25:36 AM »

The Fiery Furnaces, just a couple of months ago. I enjoy their music tremendously, and a previous show I had seen of theirs a year or so ago was absolutely brilliant, among my favorites ever. But this one was just so blah..and I was so looking forward to it, the life drained right out of me. I've seen worse performances (BY FAR) technically, but having built it up as an event in my mind, it just fell flat for me.

At that earlier one, though -- wow! Eleanor Friedberger was just amazing.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Lester Byrd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 11:26:19 AM »

John Entwistle and the Rat Race Choir.

I'm a big fan of The Ox's solo work, so I was excited as hell to see him live solo.

Unfortunately, the gig turned out be Entwistle playing bass with a lame-ass Who cover band. JE did exactly two of his own songs, and you'll never guess what they were....

Yup, "My Wife" and "Boris the Spider." How novel.

The Ox himself played superbly as always, but God what a letdown. I've never, ever been so embarrassed for a performer.
SurferGirl7
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 11:29:47 AM »

Aaron Carter
Britney Spears

'Nuff said.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 11:30:00 AM »

A very tired looking Jimi Hendrix around 68 or 69.  I was just a kid maybe expecting too much.
I was very disappointed.
Jason
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 11:36:21 AM »

Queens of the Stone Age opening for Nine Inch Nails in November. What a completely awful band. I don't know how anyone likes them.
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 11:40:38 AM »

The Happy Mondays, back in '91 or '90 or so.

20 minute set, totally drunk, Shaun Ryder had his fly undone the whole time, barely sang a note.

I love the hell out of the Mondays, but wow. What a waste of time.

I frickin' love Queens of the Stone Age, I've seen some tremendous shows by them. We like them because they're heavy, and they're good.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 11:43:36 AM »

Queens of the Stone Age opening for Nine Inch Nails in November. What a completely awful band. I don't know how anyone likes them.

Saw em at the Coachella Festival, totally agree. And The Strokes were insanely bad as well. Thankfully I saw Bjork, The Mars Volta, Belle And Sebastian, Oasis and Prodigy the same weekend to wash that junk out of my mind.

Jason
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2005, 12:10:03 PM »

You saw QOTSA at Coachella this year?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 12:10:54 PM »

Nah, a few years ago.

Chance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2005, 01:08:34 PM »

For me, the Dead, Madison Square Garden, 1981. I'd never seen them, and wasn't a huge fan, but my cousins were on a Dead kick, and they did have the rep of being unbelievable if you caught them on a good night. So I went along. It started off promising, as one deadhead in our section stood up, a total stranger, and asked us each our names, and started introducing us to each other. I thought that was a charming, "flower child" type of thing to do. In her eyes, this was a big party and she was going to see to it that we were all friends. A totally endearing gesture.

But the show itself was a complete drag. Listless, uninspired performance, and worse yet, they would take a full two, three, four minutes to tune up after every song. Whatever pathetic momentum they might have worked up was totally destroyed at the end of every number. I later found out that this was one of Garcia's heroin periods. It explains everything.

And yet, I will say this, even during that abysmal show, there was one odd, transcendant, magical moment. They played "Stella Blue," which I'd never heard, and for that one tune, suddenly all the stars aligned, and the "live Dead" magic came fully to life, and it was truly beautiful. And then just as suddenly, it ended, they took an eternity to start the next tune, and we were back in the shithole of boredom.
GP1138
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2005, 01:11:17 PM »

The Happy Mondays, back in '91 or '90 or so.

20 minute set, totally drunk, Shaun Ryder had his fly undone the whole time, barely sang a note.

I love the hell out of the Mondays, but wow. What a waste of time.

I frickin' love Queens of the Stone Age, I've seen some tremendous shows by them. We like them because they're heavy, and they're good.

I only really liked the band when Dave Grohl was in it, it really kicked my ass. The rest of their output doesn't do much for me. Great band, though.
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2005, 01:18:15 PM »

Saw an 80's reunion-type show a few years ago with 4 bands: (missed the first act), The Outfield, The Fixx, Asia.
The Outfield was OK. The Fixx was outstanding (I liked them a lot in the mid 80's!). Asia blew chunks so hard and they headlined !!! There was only one member that had been in the band for a while AND he was not even an original member.
The keyboard DUDE (the following makes him DUDE- not to mention his mullet) had... 9, count 'em, 9 different sets of keys/synths on 3 different 'rack mount' type stands. We only saw him use 2 different keyboards !!! We were so shocked as to how bad they were we stayed through the rest of the show. OUCH! My ears are still bleeding.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2005, 01:35:56 PM »

the shithole of boredom.

That should be the title of a Sting compilation.

forgetemarie
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2005, 02:17:02 PM »

Chuck Berry.  Horrible.  He's just there to pick up his check, after abusing some poor, non-rehearsed local band to back him.  It's the only show I've ever walked out on halfway through, and the tickets were free.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2005, 02:18:23 PM »

Haha, same here!

HighOnLife
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2005, 03:01:57 PM »

Van Halen in 1998.

"I don't do drugs. I am drugs."
Lester Zombie
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2005, 03:27:45 PM »

Sha Na Na as an opening act in late '68 or early '69. They were so pathethically lame that they were unwittingly a parody of their own parody. And then they were at Woodstock and had their own TV show. Somehow crappiness paid off. 
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2005, 03:30:36 PM »

Somehow crappiness paid off. 

An autobiography, by Huey Lewis.

al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2005, 03:48:50 PM »

The Rolling Stones, Earls Court (London) 1976 - Black & Blue Tour. The sound was the worst I have EVER experienced. Apart from the opening chords of Honky Tonk Women everything was just drowned out in a vast echoey bluuurghh. They are also a crap live band at the best of times. I've got boots that are worse than your average tribute band. Saw the Who at Charlton a few weeks later who (as usual) just blew them to pieces. For the biggest band still standing they are a desperately weak live act (and I do love most of their albums by the way, I'm not slagging them off for the hell of it!)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 04:42:43 AM by alan brightmore » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2005, 03:52:13 PM »

The Rolling Stones, Earls Court (London) 1976 - Black & Blue Tour. The sound was the worst I have EVER experienced. Apart from the opening chords of Honky Tonk Women everything was just drowned out in a vast echoey bluuurghh. They are also a crap live band at the best of times. I've got boots that are worse than your average tribute band. Saw the Who at Charlton a few weeks later who (as usual) just blew them to pieces. For the biggest band still standing they are a desperately week live act (and I do love most of their albums by the way, I'm not slagging them off for the hell of it!)

From 72 on I definitely agree with you on the Stones live.
In comparison to the Who, there IS no comparison.

Chance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2005, 05:31:10 PM »

When did you guys see Chuck Berry? I'm guessing he musta laid down his guitar 15 years ago. He's gotta be pushing 90.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2005, 05:51:51 PM »

Still playing!
I saw him in 87.

b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2005, 07:08:48 PM »