gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:54:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 8 Track Tapes  (Read 37379 times)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2013, 12:43:41 PM »

My only tape from Holland: 

This cracks me up.  Yup, that is definitely an album.

This was a Dutch follow up Best Of comp, after a release called "The Definite Album". So the name choise isn't that strange. The tracklist is though, only containing songs from the Sunflower and Surf's Up albm.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2013, 12:55:12 PM »

Huh!  
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 07:00:07 AM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2013, 09:36:51 AM »

Picked up an interesting "Beach Boot" 8trk the other day. Will post some pics later.
It has tracks from Surfs Up. and even plays.  Wink

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2015, 12:23:07 PM »

coolio
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 07:00:36 AM by bgas » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2015, 12:35:25 PM »

What's next on the list? Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2015, 01:02:19 PM »

What's next on the list? Grin

As in what do I want to find?  ( Most of what I'd like to find, I'm not certain really exist)

Cuz I don't have any other great 8 finds lately to post ( almost two years since the last post in this thread) 

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2015, 01:17:15 PM »

I mean in general BBs rarity collecting. Loving the BBs SS cardboard cutouts in the profile picture.... Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2015, 01:46:45 PM »

Hopefully someone else will bring on some exquisite rarities for viewing!

It'll be a while before I post pics of  brian, carl, and  dennis smiley stand-ups.

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2015, 01:00:30 AM »

It'll be a while before I post pics of  brian, carl, and  dennis smiley stand-ups.

How about starting a new thread posting photos of your 4 tracks?  Was 20/20 the last BB album to be released on 4 Track?  Or maybe Good Vibrations?  Or is it possible that some 4 track cartridges of Sunflower exist?

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2015, 08:43:59 PM »

How about starting a new thread posting photos of your 4 tracks?  Was 20/20 the last BB album to be released on 4 Track?  Or maybe Good Vibrations?  Or is it possible that some 4 track cartridges of Sunflower exist?

I did that!  Only it was back in October 2011; Sunflower is the last 4 track( shown) that I've found.    http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,11345.0.html

I also did Playtapes( even though you didn't ask)     http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9862.0.html

never have done cassettes....

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2015, 11:16:26 AM »

It's not very often I get to post something tape-wise that Chris hasn't posted...

Stand-alone versions of Good Vibrations - Best of the Beach Boys, and Holland:

« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 11:35:15 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2015, 11:40:09 AM »

Capitol Record Club Sunflower and Surf's Up?  Note the TA 6xxxxx catalog number for Sunflower.  Not sure whether the 9xxxx number for Surf's Up is the standard 8-track catalog number or not.

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2015, 11:44:56 AM »

Black shell versions of Shut Down, Vol. II and Surfer Girl with the Capitol dome logo.

But interestingly, the back shells have the Capitol "C" logo:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 01:15:47 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2015, 11:47:14 AM »

Wand release of the Hite Morgan tapes, and another Pickwick title:
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2015, 11:53:29 AM »

And maybe I missed it, but I didn't see '69 Live in London:
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2015, 03:52:21 PM »

Capitol Record Club Sunflower and Surf's Up?  Note the TA 6xxxxx catalog number for Sunflower.  Not sure whether the 9xxxx number for Surf's Up is the standard 8-track catalog number or not.

YES!!!!!!  Capitol Club Tapes Definitely.  
I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    
Those are incredible finds.  

I wonder if I'll ever get lucky and find copies....  

And yes, the TA catalog number on Surfs Up is The Capitol club ## 93920. Tho the Sunflower number is very strange. I wonder why they used a 6xxxx series.  

You want to part with these? ( he said dreamingly) 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 07:53:29 PM by bgas » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2015, 04:24:36 PM »

It's not very often I get to post something tape-wise that Chris hasn't posted...

Stand-alone versions of Good Vibrations - Best of the Beach Boys, and Holland:

Just checked to find I do have this Holland version, but NOT the GV Best Of.  You just gotta love variations!! 
Got to be more diligent in searching these variations!!

And maybe I missed it, but I didn't see '69 Live in London:  

You are correct, I didn't post a pic. 

Wand release of the Hite Morgan tapes, and another Pickwick title:

You've got me with all of these great pics !
Don't know if I didn't have these two when I posted the other pics, or if I just blanked on them! ( because I definitely have them sitting on the shelves)   

Black shell versions of Shut Down, Vol. II and Surfer Girl with the Capitol dome logo.

But interestingly, the back shells have the Capitol "C" logo:

There are probably other variations of the Capitol tapes previously posted, that are also not shown.  Just as with Lps and 45s, there are variations

I don't understand you point about the "C" Logos, tho. Is it on the actual shells, as I don't see it anywhere else?  
OH!  Now I see those logos at the top of the carts. They're hard to spot being black on black

« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 07:59:32 PM by bgas » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2015, 08:01:01 PM »

And here's my latest acquisition, to tie in with the GV Best of and Holland tapes you posted, Lee.  
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 07:02:19 AM by bgas » Logged

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2015, 03:25:52 AM »

And here's my latest acquisition, to tie in with the GV Best of and Holland tapes you posted, Lee.  
Stand-alone version of 20/20 & Wild Honey( I suppose that means there's a Friends & Smiley Smile to look for also):  

How do they sound?

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2015, 05:55:07 AM »

And yes, the TA catalog number on Surfs Up is The Capitol club ## 93920. Tho the Sunflower number is very strange. I wonder why they used a 6xxxx series.  

If I recall, the 6xxxx denoted a release on a label within the Capitol family, and the 9xxxx denoted a release on another label.  Maybe someone didn't get the memo that the Beach Boys had left Capitol...

Lee
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2015, 07:28:23 AM »

If I recall, the 6xxxx denoted a release on a label within the Capitol family, and the 9xxxx denoted a release on another label.  Maybe someone didn't get the memo that the Beach Boys had left Capitol...

Lee

Yes, that makes sense(What an idiot I am!!!   I've got two Club tapes pictured as the last post on  Page 1, 63090 and 63160)  
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 07:40:46 AM by bgas » Logged

Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2015, 08:22:55 AM »

Hi guys, I adore this and associated thread (and the pics) from a few years ago - It's facinating as us Brits never really harnessed the 8 Track format
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2015, 04:25:30 PM »

Alright!!   (This might be too anal for some, so don't look if it bothers you...) If you want to also all the Beatles 8 tracks, visit Frank daniels super site here:
http://www.friktech.com/btls/tapes/8tks.pdf  
This description is taken from his site and applies generally, to the Beach Boys also:
>>Starting August 13, 1966, Capitol's earliest eight tracks had white shells. By 1969, they had determined that the machines left marks on the tapes, so they made black‐shelled eight tracks for their stereo eight tracks afterward. In April, 1969, Capitol announced that they had redesigned the tape slicks so as to put all of the information on the front slick. Some of Capitol's eight tracks were prepared with Lear's "Lear Jet" cartridges, while some were assembled with Audiopak cartridges, made by Audio Devices, Inc., a Capitol Industries subsidiary. Later (70's) eight tracks simply state that they were manufactured by Capitol, with no mention of other licensing<<

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 07:03:13 AM by bgas » Logged

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2015, 10:31:35 PM »

I did that!  Only it was back in October 2011; Sunflower is the last 4 track( shown) that I've found.    http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,11345.0.html

I also did Playtapes( even though you didn't ask)     http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9862.0.html

never have done cassettes....

Chris, thanks for the link to the 4 track photos.  I do recall the PlayTape thread, (and posted some questions in it), but had missed the four track photos and discussion.

And thanks again to you and Lee for the 8 track photos in this thread.

Next up, how about reel to reel tapes?

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2015, 09:30:20 AM »

I've personally never ever seen a Beach Boys LearJet cart( also called Flat-paks--credited to yours truly) so  the first BBs 8 tracks Capitol released were white Audiopak carts with red( Concert and the twofer-LDC/SD2 had greengreen) back/end labels...

Chris, here's a white-shell 20/20 without the Audiopak notation on the back, and a different shell shape than the Audiopaks:

Is this a Lear?

Lee
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx