gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:48:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 8 Track Tapes  (Read 37384 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2011, 06:18:17 PM »

Wouldn't you know it!  Sitting right in front of me, on my desk, another 8 Track I recently picked up( and had blanked on).  

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 06:57:58 AM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2011, 03:55:30 PM »

Got some new tapes today!!  A special benefactor sent me a box of tapes, and a whole bunch of them are new to my collection.  

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Say, does anyone else here collect the Beach Boys on tapes , or am I the only one? THAT would be a lonely feeling! ( But I can deal, if it's true)

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 06:58:57 AM by bgas » Logged

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2011, 12:39:42 AM »

Got some new tapes today!!  A special benefactor sent me a box of tapes, and a whole bunch of them are new to my collection. 

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Say, does anyone else here collect the Beach Boys on tapes , or am I the only one? THAT would be a lonely feeling! ( But I can deal, if it's true)

Well, I have Surf's Up and Love You on 8 track (both sealed). Fascinated by your collection, BTW!

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2012, 01:29:57 PM »

I had a few 8 tracks, but no Beach Boys. Still have many cassettes, though, including CATP/PS, Ultimate Christmas, and both of Carl's solos.
ahoutman1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2012, 01:36:18 PM »

i bought a sealed Love You 8track off Ebay awhile back. just got around to opening the box it was shipped in. Sad to say that the plastic coating kinda pealed off durring shipping and is extremely fragile to the touch. Oh well, at least its a great condition 8 track
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2012, 07:03:58 AM »

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2012, 02:42:17 AM »

Bgas, I noticed that you hadn't uploaded The Beach Boys 1985. Probably just an oversight as I'm sure you have it in your collection.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2012, 12:20:08 PM »

Bgas, I noticed that you hadn't uploaded The Beach Boys 1985. Probably just an oversight as I'm sure you have it in your collection.

Yeah. One would think that, but they'd be wrong.  
How I didn't even think about not having this is beyond my realm of understanding!  ( I'm slipping, obviously)
Now I must find a copy; yours looks very excellent. I hope I'll find one at least as nice.  

If you find another one, please let me know!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 12:28:21 PM by bgas » Logged

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2012, 03:00:36 AM »

A few more to add to the repository...

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2012, 04:30:56 PM »

A few more to add to the repository...

Wow, I missed posting some more?  I'm really slipping it seems...

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2012, 02:10:16 AM »

Perhaps they just "slipped on through".  Grin

Here's another recent acquisition

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2012, 10:11:15 PM »

deleted
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 03:59:29 AM by metal flake paint » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2012, 07:17:56 AM »

Nice to see you keeping up the interests! 

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2012, 08:22:40 PM »

Another Holland variant:

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 07:37:56 PM by metal flake paint » Logged

Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2013, 04:45:10 PM »

Really beautiful collection!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2013, 08:54:40 AM »

I have never heard an 8 track before. For those a little older than me, what is better quality: an 8 track or a cassette tape?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2013, 09:34:03 AM »

you have not lived until you hear the distintive clunk of an 8 track tape player changing programs while driving down the road. it usually happened halfway thru a track. plus one has to experience a player eating the tape after hitting a bump or pot hole.

short answer....cassette sounded much better to me

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2013, 02:53:11 PM »

you have not lived until you hear the distintive clunk of an 8 track tape player changing programs while driving down the road. it usually happened halfway thru a track. plus one has to experience a player eating the tape after hitting a bump or pot hole.

I guess the actual tape width used would be about the same for either one. The best sound came from 4 Track cartridges, which had twice as much space to work with, hence greater sound quality; problem being, of course, they were invented to have the roller in the machine, not the cartridge, which effectively killed the format. 

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2013, 08:07:58 AM »

I guess the actual tape width used would be about the same for either one. The best sound came from 4 Track cartridges, which had twice as much space to work with, hence greater sound quality; problem being, of course, they were invented to have the roller in the machine, not the cartridge, which effectively killed the format. 

I remember making my first SMiLE versions on cassette tape. Record a section, pause, record a section, pause. It sounded like crap. Good to have first rate digital editors now. Smiley   

Did the tipical 8 track player have a record button?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2013, 01:07:56 PM »

I remember making my first SMiLE versions on cassette tape. Record a section, pause, record a section, pause. It sounded like crap. Good to have first rate digital editors now. Smiley   

Nope. Initially they only played; later you could get ones that did record, but the most common units were play only. At least from my experience

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2013, 06:58:18 AM »

Nope. Initially they only played; later you could get ones that did record, but the most common units were play only. At least from my experience

Sounds like a CD in that you could only play them at first.

leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2013, 06:42:15 AM »

Ha ha I actually played tbese in my car in HS. This was it for car stereo besides the radio. Hissy as all bell and the track changes more often than not, jarring.

When a tape would fail we would hang on to tape and throw the shell out the window. Good Times!

Oh yeah you can record on them...Id look for factory blanks though.

The quadraphonic players and tapes sell for decent money. Some of the top of the line units sound okay. No where good as open reel tapes or cassette.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 06:49:03 AM by leggo of my ego » Logged

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2013, 02:28:56 PM »

The drawing cover is hilarious. Mike looks like Mike. That's it.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2013, 11:59:13 PM »

My only tape from Holland: 

This cracks me up.  Yup, that is definitely an album.
MBE
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2013, 04:27:00 AM »

Like any format it depended on the pressing mostly.  I came in on the very end of the 8-track era. Generally I didn't find the sound worse than cassette, but I found them much harder to work with because our players had no rewind or fast forward. The track changing thing would happen too.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx