gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 01:48:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis Wilson Movie News  (Read 40200 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2011, 12:25:11 PM »

If it only contains the last six years of his life, then there will be no Manson, unless they use flashbacks.
If you check the Manson boards you will notice how many Manson movies are currently in limbo. It seems no backers want to touch the subject these days.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2011, 12:52:46 PM »

Manson boards?Huh

Jesus, I'm a naif!  Shocked
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2011, 01:34:27 PM »

At least he is taking drumming lessons for the part and can grow a real beard! Grin

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_movies_blog/2011/10/aaron-eckhart-is-beach-boy-dennis-wilson-in-the-drummer.html
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2011, 01:40:35 PM »

Did anyone ever mention John Corbett as Dennis?  That guy always reminded me of Dennis.  Much More than Harvey Dent.  (or was it Harvey Bent?)
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2011, 08:50:28 PM »

Harvey Dent? Don`t you mean Nick Naylor, the cigarette spokesman?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2011, 09:03:58 PM »

deleted
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 09:05:56 PM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2011, 12:21:38 AM »

I was going to make another topic, but it seems like it might be able to fit in here. My question is, when did Dennis start drinking heavily? I mean, he wasn't an alcoholic his entire life, was he? I'm just wondering if there is a specific point where we can say that he became totally out of control. Did it first start to get really serious during the Australian tour in 1978?

I think it was way before then - Certainly the life of the rock n roll band and Dennis' athletic consumption would mean he was drinking heavily, if not quite alcoholic levels, around '71 or something. After all, he busted his hand whilst on the lash, right? You might be able to point to Murry's death as the start of the spiral also, but I don't know enough.
A few people have mentioned that Dennis's downfall started around Murry's death. But he was still together enough to do his part in The Beach Boys, as far as recording and touring. But it seems to me that he took a rather dramatic turn around the POB era. I think it may have been Jon Stebbins who said that the Dennis of 1979 had almost zero amount of attention and focus in the studio. But wasn't he recording Bambu up to that year? Hmm, perhaps I just answered my own question.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2011, 09:11:43 AM »

I was going to make another topic, but it seems like it might be able to fit in here. My question is, when did Dennis start drinking heavily? I mean, he wasn't an alcoholic his entire life, was he? I'm just wondering if there is a specific point where we can say that he became totally out of control. Did it first start to get really serious during the Australian tour in 1978?

I think it was way before then - Certainly the life of the rock n roll band and Dennis' athletic consumption would mean he was drinking heavily, if not quite alcoholic levels, around '71 or something. After all, he busted his hand whilst on the lash, right? You might be able to point to Murry's death as the start of the spiral also, but I don't know enough.
A few people have mentioned that Dennis's downfall started around Murry's death. But he was still together enough to do his part in The Beach Boys, as far as recording and touring. But it seems to me that he took a rather dramatic turn around the POB era. I think it may have been Jon Stebbins who said that the Dennis of 1979 had almost zero amount of attention and focus in the studio. But wasn't he recording Bambu up to that year? Hmm, perhaps I just answered my own question.
Yeah he had periods of heavy drinking and substance abuse, even going back to the '60's...he also had periods of sobriety and healthy living up to '75 - '76 and even the first part of '77. A downward spiral began in late '77 -'78. By 1979 there were full blown alcoholism and substance issues, and from there he never regained control for more than a couple of days at a time.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 21, 2011, 01:47:28 PM »

I've known lots of people like that: been in bands with a few, and it's a truly painful thing to have to witness. People slam the Beach Boys for not doing more, but it's a tough situation because if the person does not want help (or even recognize the problem) then you have the choice of being an enabler or the bad guy.

Not any fun.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2011, 06:19:01 PM »

http://www.hollywoodtoday.net/2011/10/18/millersavin-make-music-movies-cbgb-the-drummer/

“The soundtrack will feature Dennis’ music from Pacific Ocean Blue as well as previously unreleased Dennis Wilson music and music from the Beach Boys,” adds Rosenberger.

Talking 'truly' unreleased music or Bambu. Anyone?
oldsurferdude
« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2011, 07:39:54 PM »

I think the real question is: who will be playing MIKE LOVE?Huh?
Close your eyes and lean back...visualize a metal container of ham-open the can and remove the cold meat.  Position it as sitting up with the pointed part on top-then place a hat (or turban) on the top of the ham. This will take care of the Myke Luhv part of the movie. Razz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2011, 07:52:29 PM »

Bruce Dern as oldsurferdude??
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 21, 2011, 08:00:19 PM »

Close your eyes and lean back...visualize a metal container of ham-open the can and remove the cold meat.  Position it as sitting up with the pointed part on top-then place a hat (or turban) on the top of the ham. This will take care of the Myke Luhv part of the movie. Razz
Honestly what is your beef with Mike Love? Granted he isn't the greatest person in the world and can be a jerk at times, but why do you always got to trash the man excessively all the time when everybody here knows you hate him. Let go of your anger and just join into conversations constructively with the awesome SMiLE box about to come out. Wink
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 08:18:06 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 21, 2011, 08:17:08 PM »

Bruce Dern as oldsurferdude??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Tw0_tXIfQ

There's no need to disrespect Bruce Dern. Cool

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 21, 2011, 08:21:32 PM »

Damn, that scene could easily be Stamos having to suffer OSD backstage somewhere!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 21, 2011, 08:24:36 PM »

Close your eyes and lean back...visualize a metal container of ham-open the can and remove the cold meat.  Position it as sitting up with the pointed part on top-then place a hat (or turban) on the top of the ham. This will take care of the Myke Luhv part of the movie. Razz
Honestly what is your beef with Mike Love? Granted he isn't the greatest person in the world and can be a jerk at times, but why do you always got to trash the man excessively all the time when everybody here knows you hate him. Let go of your anger and just join into conversations constructively. Wink

OldSurferDude is somewuht of a troll, but I don't mynd him. From what I can tell, he only averages 3 anti-mike love posts a month, and the rest of his posts are on-topic....this compared to Phil Cohen's daily onslaught of bullshit is quite nice. So he's really not a troll I guess, just a guy with a serious bent towards one of rock-n-roll's greatest lyricists.

Actually, his OSD's dislyke of Mike Love makes me appreciate Mike Love that much more. Grin

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 21, 2011, 08:30:31 PM »

And let's not forget that OSD is the real thing when it comes to Beach Boys fans!

The man walked in and plunked down his cash for a first- run, brand new, sealed copy of Sunflower in 1970 and was not afraid to love it.

For that fact alone, we should all bow down and kiss his feet!

Besides, thanks to him I can't happen upon sight of a canned ham without bursting into laughter!  

OSD is all good in my book  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 08:31:28 PM by Erik H » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 21, 2011, 08:32:10 PM »

Honestly what is your beef with Mike Love? Granted he isn't the greatest person in the world and can be a jerk at times, but why do you always got to trash the man excessively all the time when everybody here knows you hate him. Let go of your anger and just join into conversations constructively. Wink

OldSurferDude is somewuht of a troll, but I don't mynd him. From what I can tell, he only averages 3 anti-mike love posts a month, and the rest of his posts are on-topic....this compared to Phil Cohen's daily onslaught of bullsh*t is quite nice. So he's really not a troll I guess, just a guy with a serious bent towards one of rock-n-roll's greatest lyricists.

Actually, his OSD's dislyke of Mike Love makes me appreciate Mike Love that much more. Grin
Don't remind me of Phil Cohen's glory days on the smile sessions thread where AGD was rightly pissed at the crap he was saying non-stop. LOL
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 08:36:49 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: October 21, 2011, 08:34:53 PM »

"myke luhv" should be put in the profanity filter to automatically be censored to "mike love".

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2011, 08:44:49 PM »

And let's not forget that OSD is the real thing when it comes to Beach Boys fans!

The man walked in and plunked down his cash for a first- run, brand new, sealed copy of Sunflower in 1970 and was not afraid to love it.

For that fact alone, we should all bow down and kiss his feet!

Besides, thanks to him I can't happen upon sight of a canned ham without bursting into laughter!  

OSD is all good in my book  Smiley
Thanks, Eric. Post of the hour!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 21, 2011, 08:49:16 PM »

Gracias!

Now toss on your copy of Summer In Paradise and give me 20!  Evil
oldsurferdude
« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2011, 08:52:39 PM »

Gracias!

Now toss on your copy of Summer In Paradise and give me 20!  Evil
Yeah, I bought it man. How about I eat 50 eggs and skip SIP.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2011, 08:54:55 PM »

That'll do!

Just be sure to have Student Demonstration Time cranked on a loop!
oldsurferdude
« Reply #98 on: October 21, 2011, 09:06:05 PM »

That'll do!

Pssst, I beg you not to tell a soul about this(cause I'll deny it)-SDT is my fave Myke vocal of all time.  Tip Toe
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 09:07:25 PM by oldsurferdude » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2011, 09:07:32 PM »

That'll do!

Pssst, I beg you not to tell a soul about thiscause I'll deny it)-SDT is my fave Myke vocal of all time.  Tip Toe

This deserves a board-wide group hug!!!

Not kidding!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx