gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680818 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 12:59:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: City Blues  (Read 3481 times)
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2012, 10:40:44 PM »

Quote from: midnight special
I think it must be sort of awkward for Brian that very obviously drugged-out recordings of him doing music exist that fans could easily acquire if they were so inclined, haha. Things like the infamous cocaine/hamburger sessions, "Teardrops On My Bed", or the various clips on Endless Bummer. How does Brian feel about this or does he more than likely not care?

This was posted in the Brian's lowest ebb thread and it got me thinking.  City Blues from GIOMH is demoed on the Cocaine Session bootleg in pretty much the same form as the finished song.  

What I'm wondering is, did Brian simply remember the song for GIOMH, or did he listen to an old demo and if he did, I would've thought listening to the Cocaine Session tape would be pretty painful for him.  Does another demo of the song exist?  Then I wondered did someone else simply transcribe the song for Brian from the Cocaine tape and he went from there?  Does anyone know?

Also, I really like the song, it's one of the few I think works on GIOMH.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 10:41:57 PM by Camus » Logged
Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 10:58:43 PM »

I would say that the song was brought to his attention through band members and that he didn't have to listen the demo. Or if he did, they probably played him the piano demo part and not the complete bootleg.
Or perhaps fans were asking him during a meet and greet "Brian, Brian, what about that song you wrote with Dennis in the early 80's? Will you ever release it?" And then he told the band to get the boot and rehearse it.

It's my favorite song on GIOMH, a bit out of place. I think it doesn't really sound like a BW written song at all.

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 04:42:32 AM »

I actually prefer the demo version, not something I usually do.  I wonder if anyone has played him oh lord recently
Nicko1234
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 05:09:03 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if Brian's management suggested an awful lot of the old songs that he went back to at that time. Which could be one of the reasons why he put so little effort into GIOMH.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 06:19:47 AM »

I remember when I first heard that home demo tape including “City Blues”, I thought it could be formed into a good modern recording. I was really surprised they ended up actually doing it in 2004. Too bad that recording sounds overblown and overproduced. Clapton’s guitar parts aren’t needed, and as with most stuff Brian has done or BB stuff that has been remixed lately, everything has gobs of reverb that muddy the whole recording. 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 07:54:24 AM »

And after he'd said in interviews in the early 80's that City Blues 'is a song I wrote with Dennis"...it was so nice of him to give Dennis that co-songwriting credit in 2004. Roll Eyes
PaulTMA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 08:02:16 AM »

Great song, not yet properly realised.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 08:05:08 AM »

Usher got screwed over on a "Walkin' the Line" credit, too. Actually, lots of things on BW88 are like that. And don't get me started on Andy Paley and Joe Thomas's missing production credits on GIOMH.
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 10:54:13 AM »

Did GIOMH use Sweet Insanity or Paley tracks as a base, or were they total re-recordings?
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 11:32:11 AM »

Seems to me the Paley tracks were used as a base, but that's been denied.  (It's pretty freaking obvious, though.) The SI tracks are all new instrumentally, but I'm certain about backing vocals on Rainbow Eyes.

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 11:45:08 AM »

Seems to me the Paley tracks were used as a base, but that's been denied.  (It's pretty freaking obvious, though.) The SI tracks are all new instrumentally, but I'm certain about backing vocals on Rainbow Eyes.

My ears tell me that the "Soul Searchin'" and "Saturday Morning in the City" backing tracks are nearly identical to the leaked Paley sessions versions. Maybe an overdub or two is added. Andy Paley's backing vocals are still audible in the latter. And the organ solo of the former is still there -- they just had Mertens paste a sax solo on top.

The musician credits (and my ears, again) suggest that the "Gettin' In Over My Head" track is a Joe Thomas co-production from the Imagination era.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 01:57:00 PM »

I tend to think that Brian is singing a misheard lyric from the original tape (full disclosure: I've not heard the original tape):

Does anyone else think that the line "The strange loud people made a mess of the world" started life as "It's a shame how people made a mess of the world?

Scott Bennett is given credit for additional lyrics - I sure hope that line isn't one of them!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 02:01:25 PM by Roger Ryan » Logged
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 02:41:39 AM »

Great song, not yet properly realised.

This.
I like the proper version, but the bootleg is almost definite for me. It's really beautiful.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 10:35:30 AM »

And don't get me started on Andy Paley and Joe Thomas's missing production credits on GIOMH.

Fret no more: from 10452 -

Gettin' In Over My Head
BriMel/Rhino R2 76471
Originally released June 2004 (by Brian Wilson) - #100

Produced by Brian Wilson except $, * with Andy Paley, # with Joe Thomas

Recorded March-August 2003 except $ 1992-1994,* November 1995 (track & Carl's vocals), # summer 1998 (track), + fall 2002

How Could We Still Be Dancin' (B. Wilson/Thomas) - Brian, Elton John
Soul Searchin'* (B. Wilson/Paley) - Carl, Brian
You've Touched Me (B. Wilson/Kalinich)
Gettin' In Over My Head# (B. Wilson/Paley)
City Blues (B. Wilson/Bennett)
Desert Drive+ (B. Wilson/Paley)
A Friend Like You (B. Wilson/Kalinich) - Brian, Paul McCartney
Make A Wish (B. Wilson)
Rainbow Eyes (B. Wilson)
Saturday Morning In The City$ (B. Wilson/Paley)
Fairy Tale (B. Wilson/Foster)
Don't Let Her Know She's An Angel (B. Wilson)
The Waltz (B. Wilson/Parks)

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 12:27:06 PM »

I personally think Brian remembers a lot more than we give him credit for, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's got a big vault at his house full of recordings he's half written over the years that he's fully aware of.  He's probably well aware of all the tracks he and Dennis recorded.   

His shattered, fragile existence... in my opinion is largely something he uses to manipulate people, not something he actually suffers from to the extent that he pushes it.  It's easier for him to act like he can't possibly listen to the Cocaine Sessions than to explain to his wife or his managers why he doesnt' want to re-record this song, or whatever. 

(I'm not being hard on him, we all have issues, this is his.) 
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 12:35:56 PM »

didn't someone recently ask him about stevie and he had no idea
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 12:48:31 PM »

I personally think Brian remembers a lot more than we give him credit for, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's got a big vault at his house full of recordings he's half written over the years that he's fully aware of.  He's probably well aware of all the tracks he and Dennis recorded.   

His shattered, fragile existence... in my opinion is largely something he uses to manipulate people, not something he actually suffers from to the extent that he pushes it.  It's easier for him to act like he can't possibly listen to the Cocaine Sessions than to explain to his wife or his managers why he doesnt' want to re-record this song, or whatever. 

This story comes via a friend of a friend, so take it with a grain of salt: a few music friends were with Brian, having a nice discussion with him about music and stuff, he was very lucid, and "normal", but there was a party going on at the house, so after awhile Brian says "I guess it's time for me to go be 'Brian Wilson'."
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 01:51:39 PM »

so you're saying brian is an imposter??  Shocked
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 04:00:17 PM »

This story comes via a friend of a friend, so take it with a grain of salt: a few music friends were with Brian, having a nice discussion with him about music and stuff, he was very lucid, and "normal", but there was a party going on at the house, so after awhile Brian says "I guess it's time for me to go be 'Brian Wilson'."

Ordinary people say things like that all the time......

(obviously substituting their own name, natch  LOL)

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 04:33:07 PM »

And after he'd said in interviews in the early 80's that City Blues 'is a song I wrote with Dennis"...it was so nice of him to give Dennis that co-songwriting credit in 2004. Roll Eyes

Mike Love is shocked – SHOCKED – that Brian deprived someone of a cowriting credit.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 05:22:02 PM »

You're saying your friend of a friend is implying that the behavior that we typically see from Brian now is a show?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 06:56:01 PM by rockandroll » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2012, 05:45:13 PM »

You're saying your friend of a friend is implying that the behavior that we typically see from Brian now is a show?

I don't think its a show, but I think there are times where it is highly exaggerated.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012, 09:52:48 PM »

I don't think its a show, but I think there are times where it is highly exaggerated.

I think it's obvious. Just listen to his leads on 15 BO and LY and then his vocals on MIU. Maybe a good put-on or perhaps you should say a good singer has to be a good actor.
Too bad Brian never got the chance to act in a movie... or wait, Mr. Hawthorne comes to mind.

SG7
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2012, 10:30:05 AM »

It also doesn't help people close to him have abused their power also. They know who they are. After going through all that, being manipulative is a defense mechanism. I don't think he tries to put on airs for his fans. However, I think he has to act that way for the sake of others I hate to say.

Just my 2 cents.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx