gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:12:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My SMiLE Mix !  (Read 9936 times)
JMZ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: October 17, 2011, 01:35:12 AM »

Hello there ...

I know TONS of fan mixes of SMiLE have been made, I only know the most notorious ones, like Purple Chick, Ann Wallace, Mok, whom I thanks BTW.

As we're only a few weeks from the so much awaited official release, I wanted to bring you my take on SMiLE with a few improvements (or attempts at least) as a little "appetizer" to the REAL THNIG !  Grin

Here is an -almost comprehensive- list of what I did on my mix (everything is from vintage Beach Boys recording no BWPS bits here) :

- Our Prayer/Gee: nothing new except that "Gee" ends a bit differently than BWPS and upcoming release.

- H&V part1: I remixed the verses so they sound less "overprocessed" than the 2001 Remaster, more like the upcoming version sounds but in stereo. I also restored the "dance, dance" BVs and the mandolins. They're even a bit louder than the upcoming mix. It segues with "IIGS" with rather seemlessly flown-in demo vocals. You might find it pretentious but I never heard a better fly-in. You SHOULD have a listen  Grin.

- H&V part2: Starts with a pretty clean version of Barnyard with demo vocs flown in (I'm not completely satisfied here, but it's better than a lot of things I heard on other fan mixes). I've done an attempt of "intelligent stereoization" of the backing track. It doesn't work very well, but it's better than the usual "10ms delay on one channel". Here, when you mix both channels back into mono, you have the exact mono original. My version of H&V ends differently than on BWPS.

- Do You Like Worms: a totally different song structure than the one we know. I did this because I extensively listened to SMiLE during 2 years. And I started to feel a little "bored" by this one although IMO, enough vocals had been recorded to make it a bit more into a song. Listen to it, I hope you'll be surprised, or at least amused  Razz.

- Cabinessence: I removed the ADT on Carl's voice, so it's dead center and sounds a lot more natural and "66" rather than "68". It sounds rather close to the MOJO version, except that it's STEREO. The "Truck Drivin Man" vocals are louder (as on the MOJO vinyl) and I extended the beautiful tag using the intrumental stereo version.

- The Elements Intro: Ok, just the "Fire" Intro but in stereo. Segues into:

- Vega-Tables: Pretty close to the upcoming official version but in stereo. I really liked how Sir Mark Linett rebuilt this song (the Facebook version) ! I was just frustrated it's mono. Segues into:

- Water: a new stereo mix of the water chant. Segues into:

- Wind Chimes: everything (even vocals) in stereo. 2nd verse using an alternate backing version. I hope you'll like the bridge (with horns). Ends LIKE BWPS (there's a little harmony/vocals twist on the last chorus that people usually miss).

- Fire: Nothing new here. "Fall Breaks" vocals flown-in just like in the Purple Chick version, but not better IMO.

- Good Vibrations: in stereo. Tape phasing in the begining removed. Tack piano backing on 2nd verse  Grin . Reworked bridge "humm De humms". Ends pretty much like Purple Chick but sounds a little bit better IMO.

- Holidays: Starts the "Adult/Child" suite. Sounds pretty clean. Like Barnyard, I tried to "stereoize" this one. Well, it's kinda shy, but it sounds a bit more "open" than the mono version. Features the "Rock Rock Roll" flown-in vocals from Do You Like Worms on top of the second chorus (and in stereo, please). Ends on a crossfade with the "whispering winds" vocal tag (but in better quality/sync than Purple Chick). Segues into:

- Wonderful: Stereo (REAL stereo, no synchronisation of two IDENTICAL mono tracks like Purple Chick). Features the "Yodel" vocals. I maybe could've done better with a bit more time spent on that. Segues into:

- Look: with the Beach Boys (not the Wondermints) singing "won-won-wonderful" on the begining, and "Child, child, child" on the choruses. Awright dudes, digital manipulation here, but the result got a few by surprise. I know purists will be shocked, but you definitely should put an hear on that  Wink.

- CIFTTM: well, nothing new here. I tried to improve the sound quality, but failed !  Angry I'm quite unhappy with it.

- Surf's Up: new Brian vocals synchronisation. A funny intro. Extended vocals on the "child father of the man" tag by the boys.

If you're interested in hearing this, Please Message me, or users "SloopJohnB" or "Rab2591" whom I both thank a lot by the way for having helping me doing this.  angel

Have A Nice Day.
And don't forget to buy The Smile Sessions as soon as it gets released !!! Wink Wink Wink
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 03:15:18 PM by JMZ » Logged

onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 08:30:09 AM »

I'm glad you posted this, as I recently downloaded it but really wanted a guidepost list like what you've provided here. Now I'll take a listen! Thanks for this!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 08:36:51 AM »

I got this a few weeks ago. I believe it has been discusses a little here. Nice work.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 08:42:11 AM »

it's great! A nice last hurrah to fan-mixes of the old material before the box drops....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
trismegistus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 09:20:18 AM »

Probably one of my favourite Smile mixes JMZ, I just heard it a couple days ago and more than anything else I was blown away by your interpretation of H&V pt. 2...it's the first one I've heard that makes it sound like an actual song and part of Heroes, and not just a collection of sections...I'm gonna start work on my next attempt at a mix after the box drops, and there'll definitely be a couple of your ideas I'll take to heart. Thanks!
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 10:56:54 AM »

i approve

best good vibrations i've ever heard
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 11:09:16 AM »

If you're interested in hearing this, Please Message me, or users "SloopJohnB" or "Rab2591" whom I both thank a lot by the way for having helping me doing this.  angel

To be fair, after I heard his solo work I inquired for more songs and he sent me 'Look' and 'Holidays' - I was tremendously impressed and told him he should finish a mix for us....that is all I did Grin

I know we're all dying for TSS, and we're probably all SMiLE'd out, but this mix really deserves to be heard.

And yes, this is by far my favorite mix now. I agree with bowowow, this is the best GV i've EVER heard - just stunning engineering on JMZ's part. Look has some amazing vocal parts. I don't know how he cleaned up Holidays so well, but it too is the best version I've heard. His fly in for 'I'm In Great Shape' is stunning. Anywho, it's a well rounded and fantastic mix.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 11:32:23 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 05:29:15 PM »

Exactly - it's the best sound and realisation of some of the tracks we're getting with the boots, honestly.

Now i'm wondering what 'post-box'- boots will sound like....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

JMZ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 12:47:06 PM »

Thank you guys for all your comments and enthusiasm.  Cool Guy

And yes Hypehat, IMO, there will definitely be some cool stuff done "post-box". By the way, was it AGD who told that some unheard bootleg material would suddently get out of nowhere after the TSS release ?

The saga continues, this is just a begining my friends  LOL

bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 07:02:23 AM »

Astounding! Thanks a lot!!! Also make you think - what if you (JMZ) had met Brian in the early 2000's when he
started working on his version of Smile...  Yeah...  Grin
Mind-boggling, right... Wink

Fantastic mixing - perhaps you could do a "regular" Smile mix the way you did this one? That is, in the "right" order... Smiley

And yes Hypehat, IMO, there will definitely be some cool stuff done "Post-box". By the way, was it AGD who told that some unheard bootleg Material would suddently get out of nowhere after the TSS release ?

Oooo, great news indeed... Wink

/b
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 07:04:24 AM by bsten » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 09:54:59 AM »

it's great! A nice last hurrah to fan-mixes of the old material before the box drops....

But won't fan mixes always be valid----and enjoyable? They were, post-BWPS and I'm sure they will be, post-TSS. I much prefer my Ultimate Bamboo bootleg to the Bambu sessions as officially released. Or am I out of my depth here?  Shocked

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 02:18:55 PM »

But won't fan mixes always be valid----and enjoyable? They were, post-BWPS and I'm sure they will be, post-TSS. I much prefer my Ultimate Bamboo bootleg to the Bambu sessions as officially released. Or am I out of my depth here?  Shocked

Naw. There will always be fan mixes, but I think Mr.Hat was just saying this is probably the last fan mix before we see a huge, comprehensive official release of this stuff that'll allow for even better/more complex/whatevz fan mixes later on. End of an era, of sorts.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 07:59:29 AM »

Pretty much - with the higher sound quality and other snippets, some unreleased, the games gonna change!

JMZ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 04:10:39 PM »

I just received a PM from Purple Chick. Apparently, he joined the forum recently.

I've been listening to his mix for nearly 2 years in loop.  Bow  I hope maybe he'll speak a bit here on the forum.  Cool Guy

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 06:15:09 PM »

I just received a PM from Purple Chick. Apparently, he joined the forum recently.

I've been listening to his mix for nearly 2 years in loop.  Bow  I hope maybe he'll speak a bit here on the forum.  Cool Guy

I hope the 3 of you (JMZ, purplechick, and AlternateBrianWilson) are planning new mixes using the official releases. I'm excited to see where the box set takes fan mixes.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 01:46:06 AM »

Your version of Worms is absolutely fantastic!

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
JMZ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 03:01:20 PM »

Your version of Worms is absolutely fantastic!
Thanks for pointing that Mr. Fishmonk. Afro

I hope the 3 of you (JMZ, purplechick, and AlternateBrianWilson) are planning new mixes using the official releases. I'm excited to see where the box set takes fan mixes.

Thanks, but I'm afraid after the TSS release things will be 10 times easier. It will be so easy, it won't be challenging anymore (I speak using the future, because I'm still waiting for my box !!!  Angry Angry Wall Wall Angry Angry Wall Wall )

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 03:54:11 PM »

Angry Angry Wall Wall Angry Angry Wall Wall )

My sentiments exactly. Ugh. This wait is atrociously agonizing!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
JMZ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 05:18:06 PM »

I console myself by convicing me the longer the waiting, the better the pleasure when the box will finally arrive:  Listening

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 05:26:07 PM »

I console myself by convicing me the longer the waiting, the better the pleasure when the box will finally arrive:  Listening

Indeed. Since listening to your mix a couple weeks ago (and one tiny snippet from the HMV site), I've been on a SMiLE fast....I've been playing Pet Sounds (the sessions, the mono mix, the stereo mix) non-stop.....so this is going to be great when I get it! If it ships tomorrow it should be here by Thursday....can't wait!

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx