gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:18:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian - The Fan  (Read 10094 times)
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2006, 03:55:22 AM »

Ok, what music does/did Brian listen?

I know of course that he digs the Beatles, Spector, Gershwin and Bacharach. But I was for example surprised that he loves "Dark Side Of The Moon". And according to the Queen-thread he digs "Bohemian Rhapsody". He likes Wendy Carlos' "Switched On Bach" and "What´s Going On" by Marvin Gaye. He listens to mexican radio-stations. He recently stated that he likes Oasis and Green Day. Last year he was at a Coldplay-concert. And I also guess he likes the Wondermints.

Is there anything else known?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 03:57:07 AM by JRauch » Logged

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 03:59:23 AM »

He likes Kenny Rogers and Billy Joel and 'One More Night' by Phil Collins.  And Rosemary Clooney.  You also forgot to mention the Four Freshmen!  Brian's quite big on MOR/easy listening really.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 04:03:08 AM by Sir Rob » Logged

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 04:32:08 AM »

He also like Nat King Cole and of course listens to Chuck Berry and Rock'n'Roll.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 05:30:27 AM »

Where did he say he liked Green Day?

He likes Randy Newman, especially the Sail Away album (he played it a lot in Holland).

Watch out for snakes!
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 05:43:36 AM »

I read that he liked Green Day as well. Don't know the website off hand. It was in an interview I believe

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 05:45:57 AM »

He said that he liked The Magic Numbers who supported him on some dates in UK last year.  It's ironic if he likes Oasis considering what Noel Gallagher has said about him and The Beach Boys.  But I wonder if he really does have much time or enthusiasm for these more 'modern day' acts.  

There was one thing I was surprised to hear.  At an event in London last year he claimed never to have heard Love's 'Forever Changes'.

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 06:15:11 AM »

more surprising still was his claim in dublin never to have heard pacific ocean blue. I thought for a moment david leaf was gonna say "cmon brian you've heard that" but he stayed quiet

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 06:19:52 AM »

What, he likes Green Day? That's so cool... I never expected he could like anything that simple and noisy.
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 06:58:21 AM »

more surprising still was his claim in dublin never to have heard pacific ocean blue. I thought for a moment david leaf was gonna say "cmon brian you've heard that" but he stayed quiet

Well, I may be wrong but I seem to have a memory of reading somewhere of Brian's enthusiasm for POB at the time of it's release.  Is Brian 'having us on' with these remarks or does he just not remember...or what?!

JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 08:02:37 AM »

Oh, I also forgot Bob Dylan. Hearing Dylan was one of the reasons why he hired Van Dyke. And of course he sings Dylan-songs to his son Dylan every night. Makes sense.

Reading this thread made me realize what a broad spectrum of music Brian listens to. And then he says in every single interview that he only listens to Spector.  Roll Eyes

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2006, 08:19:25 AM »

Oh, I also forgot Bob Dylan. Hearing Dylan was one of the reasons why he hired Van Dyke. And of course he sings Dylan-songs to his son Dylan every night. Makes sense.

Reading this thread made me realize what a broad spectrum of music Brian listens to. And then he says in every single interview that he only listens to Spector.  Roll Eyes

I've never heard that specific information with regard to hiring VDP.  Of course, it fits in very well with the general game raising effect Dylan was having across the board with the ambitions and competitiveness of mere 'pop stars' at the time.

Otherwise, didn't Brian say, in the 1960s, that he was worried Dylan was going to 'destroy' music?!  I've heard that Dylan sings Mr Tambourine Man to his children - this was a comment supplied in response to a recent poll on Dylan songs in Mojo magazine.  I can't help wondering whether it's more of a Byrds version that is sung rather than the Dylan one.

Still I'm amused at the thought of Dylan singing his children to sleep with a rendition of 'It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)'?!  What you wouldn't give to hear that?!

JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2006, 08:29:02 AM »

Maybe I´m mixing things up, but I think in "Beautiful Dreamer", Brian said he heard Dylan on the radio and that inspired him to have some "more artistic and poetic lyrics". Which is why he hired Van Dyke.

Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2006, 08:53:47 AM »

Maybe I´m mixing things up, but I think in "Beautiful Dreamer", Brian said he heard Dylan on the radio and that inspired him to have some "more artistic and poetic lyrics". Which is why he hired Van Dyke.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't remember that specifically being said about Dylan in the film.  However, his general effect, even on an indirect level, was to push all of the main musical players of the era in a more artistic and experimental direction. 

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2006, 09:21:57 AM »

Brian mentioned during a number of "Pet Sounds" concerts that "I Know There's An Answer" had a "social lyric, a Bob Dylan-type lyric". Certainly, the Byrds covering Dylan would have had an effect on Brian in '65 suggesting that rock/pop music could/should have more substantial lyrics. I've often thought that Parks' surrealism was at least partly inspired by what Dylan had been doing for the previous year. Some of the "Surf's Up" lyrics in particular seem to be distant cousins to Dylan's "Visions Of Johanna" ("Inside the museums, infinity goes up on trial", "Jewels and binoculars hang from the head of the mule", etc.).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 01:07:35 PM by Roger Ryan » Logged
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2006, 09:58:06 AM »

brian's definitely heard POB and in fact has said he loved it in more than one interview. I'm wondering how that question was put to him? If someone said POB or Pacific ocean Blue it might not have jogged his memory, as opposed to someone saying Dennis' solo LP. I have an interview Brian gave to an east coast radio DJ just a few months ago... and in it he says he liked Dennis solo record, but that he DID NOT  like Carl's two.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2006, 11:18:32 AM »

In Beautiful Dreamer he says "My Obsession" is his favorite Rolling Stones song.   Afro

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2006, 01:13:53 PM »

In Beautiful Dreamer he says "My Obsession" is his favorite Rolling Stones song.   Afro

Actually, that's in the "Brian Wilson On Tour" DVD. Brian had a very personal connection to that song inasmuch as he was present in the studio when the Stones were recording it. He also claimed to be so hopelessly stoned (excuse pun) that he couldn't find his way out of the studio. Normally this is the kind of thing Brian would now call a bad experience, but for some reason he picks that song as his favorite from Mick & Co.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2006, 02:16:36 PM »

Sometimes getting too stoned is a terrible experience. On the other hand, over-indulging often leads to fabulous things.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2006, 02:52:47 PM »

I read in a book (can't remember which, but it was about the Stones) that Brian was also present for the Stone's song "Goin home" and even played piano on it. Anyone know if it's true?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2006, 03:19:42 PM »

Just another aspect of Brian Wilson's life that always leaves me perplexed -  his "seemingly" general lack of interest in listening to (a lot of) music.

Brian once said (in 1984) , "What more is there to life than music, anyway". Yet, when asked what artists/songs he is listening to, Brian usually mentions merely a few, instead of rattling off a nice list.

Of course, this could be his typical interview answer - lacking the truth -  when maybe he is listening to music 16 hours a day. It just seems that a "music man" like Brian would have an extremely large collection of records/CD's, would be a "fan" of music, and would be listening to CD's constantly. Who knows, maybe he is...
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2006, 05:39:12 PM »

Maybe he's like some of us here who tend to obsessively analyze a certain album or song?

I can imagine I won't get through much music my whole life. I tend to find a group and then dig a hole into their being and never leave for years.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Cabana Boy
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2006, 06:19:48 PM »

He likes Randy Newman...
Heh. "Are you furo do burros high?"
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 03:42:25 AM by Cabana Boy » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2006, 07:42:05 PM »

What, he likes Green Day? That's so cool... I never expected he could like anything that simple and noisy.
I detect alot of the Beach Boys in Green Day's music.. probably not intentionally on their part, but it's there.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2006, 10:25:02 PM »

brian liked Phil Spector, didnt he?    LOL

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
incognito
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2006, 11:20:09 PM »

I have an interview Brian gave to an east coast radio DJ just a few months ago... and in it he says he liked Dennis solo record, but that he DID NOT  like Carl's two.

He's always right, isn't he? I'm not surprised he feels this way, but it's interesting that he actually admits to this. Any more details about this interview? Did he specify why he didn't like Carl's albums?

As far as Brian liking Pacific Ocean Blue, I do remember at least one interview in which he praised it. I also remember him saying that Dennis had learned a lot from him.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx