gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:03:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles  (Read 68028 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: October 13, 2021, 06:28:32 AM »

The Beatles: Get Back | Official Trailer | Disney+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb83rbm0IVI

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 13, 2021, 07:21:59 AM »

Looks amazing and I can't wait to see it. Worth subscribing to Disney+ for a month. Hopefully it comes out in physical format, too.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: October 13, 2021, 09:12:32 AM »

I'm excited to see and hear a print of the Let It Be footage that is crisp and bright, and audio of the unreleased material to accompany it that isn't interrupted by the voice slating the reel numbers and times and the beeps over the track, as anyone who has heard even a minute of all the Get Back/Let It Be bootleg material is familiar with.

I've had a copy of the film since I got it for Christmas many years ago on VHS, and I think I share the opinion with many fans including the Beatles themselves that it looked very dreary, and nearly every print of it that I've seen looked both grainy and dark. When I see this version of it via that trailer, the colors are vibrant and it comes alive. It should be fun to see.

What I'm not as excited to see is what's been reported as a history rewrite of those sessions and the clouds hanging over them. I know there was a split within the band during and especially after this time, George was not happy at all to be a sideman after he had just been hanging with some of rock music's elite in the US, John was riding the horse, etc. When you have at least half the band saying it was a miserable time, and the other half saying it wasn't as bad as what people think, there's the divide right there. So I'm curious to see how those 57 hours or whatever it was that was shot on film can be edited down to give a narrative over 50 years later, but I'm hoping a balance can be struck between the one faction's sunshine and lollipops view of it and the other faction (both of whom are no longer around to comment) who says the experience overall was miserable.

In the words of Lennon, "all I want is the truth".  Smiley

But I am digging the clarity of this new print after decades of watching the footage in bad quality.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 13, 2021, 01:52:51 PM »

I'm excited to see and hear a print of the Let It Be footage that is crisp and bright, and audio of the unreleased material to accompany it that isn't interrupted by the voice slating the reel numbers and times and the beeps over the track, as anyone who has heard even a minute of all the Get Back/Let It Be bootleg material is familiar with.

I've had a copy of the film since I got it for Christmas many years ago on VHS, and I think I share the opinion with many fans including the Beatles themselves that it looked very dreary, and nearly every print of it that I've seen looked both grainy and dark. When I see this version of it via that trailer, the colors are vibrant and it comes alive. It should be fun to see.

What I'm not as excited to see is what's been reported as a history rewrite of those sessions and the clouds hanging over them. I know there was a split within the band during and especially after this time, George was not happy at all to be a sideman after he had just been hanging with some of rock music's elite in the US, John was riding the horse, etc. When you have at least half the band saying it was a miserable time, and the other half saying it wasn't as bad as what people think, there's the divide right there. So I'm curious to see how those 57 hours or whatever it was that was shot on film can be edited down to give a narrative over 50 years later, but I'm hoping a balance can be struck between the one faction's sunshine and lollipops view of it and the other faction (both of whom are no longer around to comment) who says the experience overall was miserable.

In the words of Lennon, "all I want is the truth".  Smiley

But I am digging the clarity of this new print after decades of watching the footage in bad quality.
All of the hype surrounding the new movie..er...film...er...tv special...has been that it's an upbeat take of the Let it Be/Get Back sessions. IMO that means it's gonna be Paul's version, sunshine, lollipops and roses every day.
And I find it funny that they want to revise the narrative when George himself is on record in the Anthology as considering it a very miserable period.
But who are we to contradict the great Sir Paul McCartney?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: November 12, 2021, 07:23:19 AM »

Watch the first clip from The Beatles: Get Back - which premieres on Disney+ from November 25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSrCk1icisI

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 12, 2021, 07:58:57 AM »

Watch the first clip from The Beatles: Get Back - which premieres on Disney+ from November 25

My wife and I are so excited for this.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 24, 2022, 01:50:01 AM »

We watched all three episodes in December and were most impressed. What an extraordinary achievement after such a chaotic start, particularly given the obvious personality problems within the group. What did you think of it, rab and/or Rocker?

Actually I came here to post this Beatles song, which I heard on the car radio, didn't recognize but thought sounded great. I realize the reconstructed songs are not everyone's cup of tea but I find this and "Free As A Bird" intensely moving:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax7krBKzmVI

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Love_(Beatles_song)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: April 24, 2022, 02:03:07 AM »

We watched all three episodes in December and were most impressed. What an extraordinary achievement after such a chaotic start, particularly given the obvious personality problems within the group. What did you think of it, rab and/or Rocker?

Actually I came here to post this Beatles song, which I heard on the car radio, didn't recognize but thought sounded great. I realize the reconstructed songs are not everyone's cup of tea but I find this and "Free As A Bird" intensely moving:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax7krBKzmVI

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Love_(Beatles_song)

I love "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love". Absolutely love those recordings! The video for "Real Love" is pretty bad though.

The "Get Back" movie I didn't watch. A friend of mine and I were going to but after he zapped through all three parts and basically only saw talking bits and other stuff that didn't seem to be very interesting, we decided not to. I only made sure to watch the rooftop performance (I love that and the idea of it). And honsetly I don't feel like I missed anything. But I'm not a fan. If I was I probably would have a different view (although, I still haven't seen "Long promised Road" yet).

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 26, 2022, 10:53:06 AM »

I love "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love". Absolutely love those recordings! The video for "Real Love" is pretty bad though.

The "Get Back" movie I didn't watch. A friend of mine and I were going to but after he zapped through all three parts and basically only saw talking bits and other stuff that didn't seem to be very interesting, we decided not to. I only made sure to watch the rooftop performance (I love that and the idea of it). And honestly I don't feel like I missed anything. But I'm not a fan. If I was I probably would have a different view (although, I still haven't seen "Long promised Road" yet).

I'm not a huge Beatles fan either! But I lived through their entire career and I do appreciate their immense talent as a band.

I think if you weren't to watch the talking bits, the rest of the film would make no sense. It's the talk that drives Get Back: Paul's Herculean efforts to create something good out of the mess they started off with; John's ability to twist everything into hilarious one-liners; George's complaints about being ignored (and walking out of the sessions at one point); and Ringo's lack of talk, but when it comes to trying out stuff, he's onto it straight away.

My wife and I watched all three parts and were mesmerized. That's another thing -- if you miss out on the "preamble", the concert seems facile, whereas it was a major struggle to put it on at all. And Billy Preston's entry into the project at a late stage is worth the price of admission alone -- what an inspiration he proved to be!

Just my two euro cents. Wink           

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 24, 2022, 11:29:10 AM »

My favorite Beatles songs often changes but my current top Fab Four songs are

I Feel Fine
Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
I'm Looking Through You
If I Needed Someone
Paperback Writer
Rain
Taxman
I'm Only Sleeping
Here There And Everywhere
Got To Get You Into My Life
Sexy Sadie
Blackbird
Mother Nature's Son
Old Brown Shoe
Don't Let Me Down
I've Got a Feeling
Something

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 08, 2022, 11:31:38 PM »

Now that we're getting the Revolver deluxe box set, I'm personally hoping for the same treatment for the Magical Mystery Tour and Yellow Submarine albums.  🙏  Anyone know more about what's to come in the Beatles universe?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 09, 2022, 01:45:39 PM »

The "Get Back" movie I didn't watch. A friend of mine and I were going to but after he zapped through all three parts and basically only saw talking bits and other stuff that didn't seem to be very interesting, we decided not to. I only made sure to watch the rooftop performance (I love that and the idea of it). And honestly I don't feel like I missed anything. But I'm not a fan. If I was I probably would have a different view (although, I still haven't seen "Long promised Road" yet).

I'm not a huge Beatles fan either! But I lived through their entire career and I do appreciate their immense talent as a band.

I think if you weren't to watch the talking bits, the rest of the film would make no sense. It's the talk that drives Get Back: Paul's Herculean efforts to create something good out of the mess they started off with; John's ability to twist everything into hilarious one-liners; George's complaints about being ignored (and walking out of the sessions at one point); and Ringo's lack of talk, but when it comes to trying out stuff, he's onto it straight away.

My wife and I watched all three parts and were mesmerized. That's another thing -- if you miss out on the "preamble", the concert seems facile, whereas it was a major struggle to put it on at all. And Billy Preston's entry into the project at a late stage is worth the price of admission alone -- what an inspiration he proved to be!

I still haven't seen it. I don't get cable tv at all, but I didn't think it would be a big deal; I figured I would buy the DVD when it came out. I looked in Target, Wal Mart, all the local stores, nobody has it. They want to force you to buy it online.
So I am waiting for a copy from the library. In the meantime, I found a bootleg copy of Let it Be in our thrift store, so I will watch that again.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 02, 2022, 10:17:55 PM »

I still haven't seen it. I don't get cable tv at all, but I didn't think it would be a big deal; I figured I would buy the DVD when it came out. I looked in Target, Wal Mart, all the local stores, nobody has it. They want to force you to buy it online.
So I am waiting for a copy from the library. In the meantime, I found a bootleg copy of Let it Be in our thrift store, so I will watch that again.

It wasn’t on cable tv. 😂

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: June 13, 2023, 09:46:58 AM »

Paul McCartney will reunite with the late John Lennon on “the final Beatles song,”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/paul-mccartney-will-reunite-with-the-late-john-lennon-on-the-final-beatles-song/video/9e4961c89eae91bdc1aaa0e9ea216ab5

While I thought "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love" were great, I have my doubts about this. But let's wait and hear.

- Jack Rieley
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 14, 2023, 08:54:28 AM »

I think it's being reported incorrectly in that article, Rocker.  On my local news this morning, it was reported that AI is being used to clean up/purify the vocal, so I'm assuming it's Peter Jackson's "demixing" technology used to isolate the vocal without any cassette noise.  Many fans think it's Now and Then.  I hope Ringo is involved,n and maybe they have some spare guitar work from George from when they briefly worked on this song in the '90s.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: October 27, 2023, 09:45:22 AM »

November 2nd will see the release of "Now and then".

Now And Then – The Last Beatles Song (Short Film Trailer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgFTpwB_uII

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 27, 2023, 12:20:44 PM »

To some degree I’ve lost interest in more Beatles products, which is crazy because I love them. I feel like I have all I need…on the other hand I am fascinated by all the unreleased beach boys that has come out
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: November 01, 2023, 12:49:49 PM »

To some degree I’ve lost interest in more Beatles products, which is crazy because I love them. I feel like I have all I need…on the other hand I am fascinated by all the unreleased beach boys that has come out

I'm not much of a Beatles fan but I think usually their products seem to be top quality and the PR is great. When it comes to this "new" song I don't know what to think. The idea is of course good but it has already be done with "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love" (both of which I absolutely love). So it feels kinda like a rehash. Then again, from my non-fan perspective everything they do seems to be very tasteful and done with care (as opposed to say... the Beach Boys - it's a wonder C50 and TWGMTR turned out so beautiful) and therefor I am looking forward to the new recording. Probably won't have as much an impact to me as the mid-90s songs, though. Especially since I don't consider "Now & then" a particular good song.

The Beatles - Now And Then - The Last Beatles Song (Short Film)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APJAQoSCwuA

- Jack Rieley
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 02, 2023, 06:26:45 AM »

For me, I think it’s less about the quality of the songwriting than it is a glimpse at something that shouldn’t even be possible. John’s voice sounds crystal clear in that vocal extraction, and that in itself made me nearly fall out of my seat when I heard it yesterday. Not to mention those beautiful strings.

So I guess it’s more about the idea of hearing the Beatles magic one last time. Perhaps it’s more nostalgia driven than anything. On a YouTube comment from the documentary, someone pointed out that John’s lyric:

And if I make it through
It's all because of you

Is poetically fitting that it’s all because of the rest of the band and the fans that allowed John’s song to “make it through”. Yeah it’s kinda cheesy but nonetheless fitting.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 04, 2023, 01:17:42 AM »

“Now and Then” official music Video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Opxhh9Oh3rg&feature=youtu.be

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: November 04, 2023, 09:43:16 AM »

Well, if you're happy with the recording, that's great. That's all that counts in the end. Personally I don't care very much for it. The AI work is impressive but well, it's just not a good song. One can't blame Lennon for the weak singing because he certainly didn't record this with an eye toward it being used as a master. The production is not quite up to my taste but I probably could live with it if the song was better. But this does not come close to the charmingly "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love". The song sounds more like something Lennon was just improvising and hadn't even finished.

The video basically tells the same story imo. The way the young Beatles are used looks very good but the rest has no emotion or meaning to me. Especially the parts of Ringo and Paul recording in the studio look like the typical pandemic home video.
I can see why they didn't finish the song in the 90s. Imo this was not a smart move in terms of the Beatles' legacy (although it probably will not have any influence on that). "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love" were very good ending for the Beatles' recording career and while it is certainly nice for the fans to have this "Now and then", it feels like it does not come out of a natural and progressive way of thinking about music (as the Beatles' best stuff has done) but from a standpoint of "well, everybody does it, so let's do it as well".

Again, just my opinion. I don't wanna be a downer. If you like it, that's great.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 13, 2023, 07:32:21 PM »

Well, if you're happy with the recording, that's great. That's all that counts in the end. Personally I don't care very much for it. The AI work is impressive but well, it's just not a good song. One can't blame Lennon for the weak singing because he certainly didn't record this with an eye toward it being used as a master. The production is not quite up to my taste but I probably could live with it if the song was better. But this does not come close to the charmingly "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love". The song sounds more like something Lennon was just improvising and hadn't even finished.

The video basically tells the same story imo. The way the young Beatles are used looks very good but the rest has no emotion or meaning to me. Especially the parts of Ringo and Paul recording in the studio look like the typical pandemic home video.
I can see why they didn't finish the song in the 90s. Imo this was not a smart move in terms of the Beatles' legacy (although it probably will not have any influence on that). "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love" were very good ending for the Beatles' recording career and while it is certainly nice for the fans to have this "Now and then", it feels like it does not come out of a natural and progressive way of thinking about music (as the Beatles' best stuff has done) but from a standpoint of "well, everybody does it, so let's do it as well".

Again, just my opinion. I don't wanna be a downer. If you like it, that's great.
I agree. It feels forced, especially inserting 1967 John and George in there alongside 2023 Paul and Ringo.
I will always love Free As a Bird and Real Love and the memories of November 1995. A very special time in my life with the airing of the Beatles Anthology, the release of Anthology 1 and Orange Crate Art.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 15, 2023, 05:01:19 PM »

Damn. Those bongos on A Hard Days Night (which I never noticed before) are relentless and amazing! Really propels it forward in a way I never experienced.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx