gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
672375 Posts in 27076 Topics by 3979 Members - Latest Member: sloopfan3 October 16, 2021, 08:50:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles  (Read 43200 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: October 13, 2021, 06:28:32 AM »

The Beatles: Get Back | Official Trailer | Disney+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb83rbm0IVI

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 13, 2021, 07:21:59 AM »

Looks amazing and I can't wait to see it. Worth subscribing to Disney+ for a month. Hopefully it comes out in physical format, too.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: October 13, 2021, 09:12:32 AM »

I'm excited to see and hear a print of the Let It Be footage that is crisp and bright, and audio of the unreleased material to accompany it that isn't interrupted by the voice slating the reel numbers and times and the beeps over the track, as anyone who has heard even a minute of all the Get Back/Let It Be bootleg material is familiar with.

I've had a copy of the film since I got it for Christmas many years ago on VHS, and I think I share the opinion with many fans including the Beatles themselves that it looked very dreary, and nearly every print of it that I've seen looked both grainy and dark. When I see this version of it via that trailer, the colors are vibrant and it comes alive. It should be fun to see.

What I'm not as excited to see is what's been reported as a history rewrite of those sessions and the clouds hanging over them. I know there was a split within the band during and especially after this time, George was not happy at all to be a sideman after he had just been hanging with some of rock music's elite in the US, John was riding the horse, etc. When you have at least half the band saying it was a miserable time, and the other half saying it wasn't as bad as what people think, there's the divide right there. So I'm curious to see how those 57 hours or whatever it was that was shot on film can be edited down to give a narrative over 50 years later, but I'm hoping a balance can be struck between the one faction's sunshine and lollipops view of it and the other faction (both of whom are no longer around to comment) who says the experience overall was miserable.

In the words of Lennon, "all I want is the truth".  Smiley

But I am digging the clarity of this new print after decades of watching the footage in bad quality.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 13, 2021, 01:52:51 PM »

I'm excited to see and hear a print of the Let It Be footage that is crisp and bright, and audio of the unreleased material to accompany it that isn't interrupted by the voice slating the reel numbers and times and the beeps over the track, as anyone who has heard even a minute of all the Get Back/Let It Be bootleg material is familiar with.

I've had a copy of the film since I got it for Christmas many years ago on VHS, and I think I share the opinion with many fans including the Beatles themselves that it looked very dreary, and nearly every print of it that I've seen looked both grainy and dark. When I see this version of it via that trailer, the colors are vibrant and it comes alive. It should be fun to see.

What I'm not as excited to see is what's been reported as a history rewrite of those sessions and the clouds hanging over them. I know there was a split within the band during and especially after this time, George was not happy at all to be a sideman after he had just been hanging with some of rock music's elite in the US, John was riding the horse, etc. When you have at least half the band saying it was a miserable time, and the other half saying it wasn't as bad as what people think, there's the divide right there. So I'm curious to see how those 57 hours or whatever it was that was shot on film can be edited down to give a narrative over 50 years later, but I'm hoping a balance can be struck between the one faction's sunshine and lollipops view of it and the other faction (both of whom are no longer around to comment) who says the experience overall was miserable.

In the words of Lennon, "all I want is the truth".  Smiley

But I am digging the clarity of this new print after decades of watching the footage in bad quality.
All of the hype surrounding the new movie..er...film...er...tv special...has been that it's an upbeat take of the Let it Be/Get Back sessions. IMO that means it's gonna be Paul's version, sunshine, lollipops and roses every day.
And I find it funny that they want to revise the narrative when George himself is on record in the Anthology as considering it a very miserable period.
But who are we to contradict the great Sir Paul McCartney?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx